Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Goons headed to H1Z1 and possibly more. The answer to 'why are guilds terrible now?'

JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401

FULL DISCLAIMER - I am a poster on SomethingAwful, I played EVE and have a char in 'the imperium' (formerly known as CFC). I am aware there is a thread about how 'goons are going to play H1Z1' but this thread is about the meta surrounding the news and not the news itself.

According to our dear leader 'The Mittani', Goons are officially heading to H1Z1 because of we were bribed by Smedly; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4g75POBQNw

And I believe this news is the proof on why so many 'guilds' just don't last the distance nowadays.

There's been lots of discussion on why 'guilds' in MMOs have been failing its members; you see countless posts about it even on this very forum. The reason is simple, most 'guilds' are still stuck in the old traditional thinking of 'we like playing this game so we'll form a guild'. Now there is nothing wrong with this, but the string that binds that group is 'the single MMO' (whatever that MMO is). 

SA members have an out of game string (if I stretch the analogy a bit) because we are all from the same forum and play other games together. It is this 'outside the single game connection' that makes most SA guilds relatively drama-free. It also gives the SA members little reason to try another 'this game only guild' because of that inherent stability.

For Smedley to come to a meta-gaming guild, bribe them to play H1Z1 and cause drama is something unique and also acceptance that the 'one game only guild' is inherently less stable than a meta-gaming one.

To answer the question 'why are guilds terrible now?' - The good ones are meta-gaming guilds due to its structure and once you are part of that community, you rarely leave. This in turns causes feedback as more 'single game only guilds' are left with the left-overs.

In the eternal words of 'Ullerrm'- I've been playing this game for four hours. I have no map, no compass, and no pants. I have only a makeshift bow, and two arrows. And I am here to ruin your game.

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Guilds don't fail members,it is the opposite,members fail guilds.The very simple of it is that players are selfish,they want the fastest progression and will hop from guild to guild to get it.Point is those players,MANY or most of them really don't care about other members just "what can you do for me NOW,before i hop onto another guild".

As to Smedley and his H1Z1.....LMAO the guy is such a joke when comes to gaming and his marketing tactics.How can anyone take him seriously and buy into anything he says?

I got news for Smedley and his H1Z1,it is the streamers that keep that game alive,or it would have never made it out of first gear.People view in for certain big streamers that have a large following,all hose viewers want to be a part of the game with their fave streamer.The game itself is imo junk,it offers so very little and has so very little support.Of the usual 6k max viewers 90% of that is from about 5 streamers,if they moved on to a different game H1Z1 would falter badly.I know MANY popular streamers who no longer play H1Z1 after only about 2 months of playing.

I personally could not care about ANY high profile guilds and what game they are in,Goonsquad or whatever won't get me to give Smedley money.

The reason he is in the news again is because he is struggling to keep H1Z1 alive,it has fallen off badly way below 50% from just a few weeks ago to around 20% of it's populace.

What bothers me is that there are a LOT of players that still support the game who really don't know anything about game design.They actually THINK a lot of work has gone into the game since released as a FAKE ALPHA game.That WAS the OFFICIAL release,quit fooling yourself,there is nothing left in the bag for Smedley to draw in players and money.

NO there has NOT been a lot of effort gone into the game since Smedley began bragging about his millions.Even his idea of  selling tickets for BR is on hold because i am sure he realizes that 20% populace he has left would dwindle and kill the game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Well to be fair h1z1 has so many servers are half of them are well populated with some way overpopulated. However i been playing it since launch on and off and cannot say i seen a fall in population bearing in mind since launch they have drastically increased server numbers with aussie and European servers
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Guilds don't fail members,it is the opposite,members fail guilds.The very simple of it is that players are selfish,they want the fastest progression and will hop from guild to guild to get it.Point is those players,MANY or most of them really don't care about other members just "what can you do for me NOW,before i hop onto another guild".

Or may be the whole system of guilds is just flawed. If people don't care about each (and there is no reason to in games), may be it is inherently unstable to put them together in some artificial manner.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Yes, the multi-gaming clans are probably more suited to modern online gaming than the "traditional" guilds of yore.

The single game guilds were perfect for the days when it took many months to reach level-cap, and many more months to get properly geared. People spent a long time in one game, and therefore stable and well-organised guilds were essential in those games. But those days are gone.

As a member of a multi-gaming group, you can hop from MMO to MMO every month and still be in the same "guild" in all those games. You might even see one or two names in each MMO that you recognize from your own clan forums. Your loyalty is not to the individual games, but to your clan.

If one of those MMO's shuts down, it has no effect on your multi-gaming clan. In fact, your clan can actually try to make some games unplayable just for laughs.

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 866

Multi-gaming guilds are hardly a new concept, and guilds aren't terrible now.  The ones that are awesome are still awesome and the rest are a mediocre experience as they always were.  I'm not sure how any of this warrants being a post or being called news, but it was a half decent attempt at an unveiled plug for a guild.

This just in: People who get along outside the concept of playing a single game together have a good time playing all the games together.  Duh.

As far as "guilds failing people" that's just asinine.  A guild is nothing that the people don't make it.  It doesn't do anything.  It's the people failing themselves, and a new guild ain't gonna teach that dog to hunt.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    no fucks given.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by nolf

Multi-gaming guilds are hardly a new concept, and guilds aren't terrible now.  The ones that are awesome are still awesome and the rest are a mediocre experience as they always were.  I'm not sure how any of this warrants being a post or being called news, but it was a half decent attempt at an unveiled plug for a guild.

This just in: People who get along outside the concept of playing a single game together have a good time playing all the games together.  Duh.

As far as "guilds failing people" that's just asinine.  A guild is nothing that the people don't make it.  It doesn't do anything.  It's the people failing themselves, and a new guild ain't gonna teach that dog to hunt.

Not according to this community.

At the time of this post;

"Why is it so difficult to find a quality guild lately?" - PAGE 2

"Why is the community so terrible these days?" - PAGE 3

Plus the various 'Back in my day' threads that go on tangents on 'guilds' and how they were great back then.

Plug for a guild? LOL!

I invite you to the EVE thread; http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609703

Cause not a page goes by in that thread where there isn't some person (of lower intelligence) who can't read go 'hey guize! I just paid my $10 to join your space guild!'. Everyone goes *facepalm* and ask him/her to read the first post.

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Goons can go whereever they want. I just hope that they'll leave EvE.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I got news for Smedley and his H1Z1,it is the streamers that keep that game alive,or it would have never made it out of first gear.People view in for certain big streamers that have a large following,all hose viewers want to be a part of the game with their fave streamer.The game itself is imo junk,it offers so very little and has so very little support.Of the usual 6k max viewers 90% of that is from about 5 streamers,if they moved on to a different game H1Z1 would falter badly.I know MANY popular streamers who no longer play H1Z1 after only about 2 months of playing.

I don't think twitch numbers prove anything about game popularity or population.   

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,184
    Originally posted by Malvious
    no fucks given.

times nine eleven.

• ClaiesClaies Member UncommonPosts: 76

"MetaGaming" guilds are nothing new, and can fail just as easily as "Single Game" guilds;  In some cases, even worse.  What do you do when you want to play one game and the majority of the guild wants to play something else?  Hive mind, Swarm Think, isn't everyone's cup of tea.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by JohnP0100
    Originally posted by nolf

Not according to this community.

At the time of this post;

"Why is it so difficult to find a quality guild lately?" - PAGE 2

"Why is the community so terrible these days?" - PAGE 3

Plus the various 'Back in my day' threads that go on tangents on 'guilds' and how they were great back then.

I actually think it's how they go about getting a guild. Or how many people go about getting a guild.

I've told this story before but, when I first started Warhammer Online, I was whispered in game about joining some person's guild.

I told them that at the moment I was just learning the game and didn't want to join any guilds just yet until did some research into the various guilds. His response? it was something like "this isn't a life choice decision".

But it is. I think most people just "join" random guilds, maybe even after a conversation or two and then the guild is just people who have nothing in common.

Best guilds I was in was in Lineage 2 as we met and slowly acquired people until we were a little family.

I do agree that people can also fail their guilds as over the years I've seen many people join guilds essentially asking "what can the guild do for them".

If you aren't there to participate or contribute in some manner then the guild is only as good as the members who can and who have time to invest int the guild.

Maybe if people were more choosy, did more research and found more like minded players then there would be the examples above.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

I have to agree on some parts from the chat and also agree with some parts from the 1st responce poster.

2 examples are -

(OP) Guilds tend to fail as 1 game guilds - AGREED

(1st reply poster) Players are selfish, greedy and want fastest route up - AGREED - Though this would also hit the multi game guilds too. 

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Goons are still active.. damn.. 
    Originally posted by Yalexy

Imagine EVE-Online without 'Goons'.

God, what a terrible scenario.

Think about what the outside world knows about EVE

- The betrayal of one director causing an alliance to die; BOB

- No 6VDT - Largest computer game battle in history; BBC / The Verge / Huffington Post / IBTimes. Heck NetworkWorld did an article on how CCP handled that battle from an infrastructure point of view.

- No Asakai

- And of course, no B-R5RB. This one has its own wikipedia entry along with artciles from BBC / CBS / Fox news etc.

Every big news item from EVE has the 'CFC' involved over the past decade. If CFC can do the same for H1Z1 (get mainstream coverage because goons are being goons), I think other game companies might take notice.

I can definitely see 'Perpetuum' or something of its ilk next should this work out well for Daybreak.

We aren't here to ruin 'THE GAME'. We are here to ruin YOUR game.

If you can't deal with that, well, from one EVE player to another, HTFU or can I have your stuff?

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I don't care if the goons are playing H1Z1 my only problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4g75POBQNw

Based off this video Sony is giving away free perm items to these players which are not given to other players providing unfair advantages in the game, otherwise I have no problem, although this game is ruined as long as the developers give out free items.

http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/34mthi/bringing_a_clan_of_40k_players_and_giving_them/

Originally posted by Renoaku

I don't care if the goons are playing H1Z1 my only problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4g75POBQNw

Based off this video Sony is giving away free perm items to these players which are not given to other players providing unfair advantages in the game, otherwise I have no problem, although this game is ruined as long as the developers give out free items.

If you refer / come back to an MMO, sometimes they give you stuff. It is called a 'promo'.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

- No 6VDT - Largest computer game battle in history; BBC / The Verge / Huffington Post / IBTimes. Heck NetworkWorld did an article on how CCP handled that battle from an infrastructure point of view.

- No Asakai

- And of course, no B-R5RB. This one has its own wikipedia entry along with artciles from BBC / CBS / Fox news etc.

Every big news item from EVE has the 'CFC' involved over the past decade. If CFC can do the same for H1Z1 (get mainstream coverage because goons are being goons), I think other game companies might take notice.

I can definitely see 'Perpetuum' or something of its ilk next should this work out well for Daybreak.

If you can't deal with that, well, from one EVE player to another, HTFU or can I have your stuff?

It's true.  If our society wasn't so intrigued by the ugly side of humanity a whole section in front of the cash register would sit empty.  I mean, reality TV may have not been a thing.  Forgive my saltiness but whenever the goal of anyone, anywhere, is to ruin something of entertainment for someone else they don't deserve to be playing at all.

I wish you well on your quest to promote... what I'm sure is going to be big news for the gaming masses.  If this is an attempt by DGC to promote H1Z1 by causing drama it will save me the money trying it out.

Originally posted by Aelious

- No Asakai

It's true.  If our society wasn't so intrigued by the ugly side of humanity a whole section in front of the cash register would sit empty.  I mean, reality TV may have not been a thing.  Forgive my saltiness but whenever the goal of anyone, anywhere, is to ruin something of entertainment for someone else they don't deserve to be playing at all.

I wish you well on your quest to promote... what I'm sure is going to be big news for the gaming masses.  If this is an attempt by DGC to promote H1Z1 by causing drama it will save me the money trying it out.

This kind of logic just baffles me. I assume you don't play any FPS like COD/Counter Strike since you can make it awful to the other team by killing them over and over again?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

- No Asakai

This kind of logic just baffles me. I assume you don't play any FPS like COD/Counter Strike since you can make it awful to the other team by killing them over and over again?

Oh, I do.  In those titles you enter to kill or be killed and that is the only reason to be there.  Maybe I misunderstood but when you said "ruin YOUR game." If the intent is to win, that's fine.  If the point is to grief to the point of intentionally eliciting a negative response it isn't IMO.  It can, and will, happen I just think it's sad for anyone to require that while playing a form of entertainment.  Again, not saying you meant that, I may have misunderstood.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

that and who the hell cares about h1z1?

this ia a shooter that will be overrun by aimbots, like the 2 games that came before it, it will be a gankfest for the cheaters.

ofc goonsquad will play that, but i don't see why anyone who is not a troll should care about that fact.

anyway, @topic: it's not about what your guild can do for you, but what you can do for your guild.

and as long you try finding the guild that is "best for you", you will always be guild hopping. bc guilds are not about what's best for you, but where you belong.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

- No Asakai

I am sure that logic baffles you.

I do not know about JohnP0100, but no I do not play any FPS for exactly this reason.

BTW I will treasure the memory of this thread and the video, it will be useful the next time some PvP artist tries to say that PvP is not all about griefing and ganking and that it is all about the skill and not the tears.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Okay nevermind its actually only 3 items they are getting after doing some checking?

https://www.themittani.com/news/h1z1-free-tmc-welcome-pack

Not that big of a deal.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Renoaku

Okay nevermind its actually only 3 items they are getting after doing some checking?

https://www.themittani.com/news/h1z1-free-tmc-welcome-pack

Not that big of a deal.

Unless of course there was some cash to the leadership, which was kind of hinted at in the video.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

The "goons" playing any crappy game is good news, this way they don't infect the best games.

So that's the way you found to show off your manhood. Oh my...

It's good to have those threads indeed. It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life".

I don't 'dunk' posts but this post is just...too dumb. And sig worthy!

The 'Grrr Goons' is always amusing to see. We are nothing but a bunch of people who come from a forum; SomethingAwful.

And we play almost every game, not just EVE. But I guess it comes with the territory when even BBC/CBS wants to write about you; /shrug.

I'm struggling to see the 'bully' or 'defenseless' in a VIDEO GAME btw. It is also disturbing to see the attempt at connecting it to real life. Can you not tell the difference between what you do in a VIDEO GAME and in real life? If you cannot, I'd strongly recommend you get some help cause my god, you need it!

I love MLB The Show 2015. There is no way in hell I'm throwing a 95 mile 4 seam Fast Ball in real life.

How about Counter-Strike? Do you not shoot at the other team? Or do you call those players shooting each other;

"hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life"."

This discussion has been closed.