Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam release - after all these years...

FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254

One of the worst World of Warcraft clones ever heads to steam:

The World of Alganon - Coming Soon to Steam!

Along with the extensive combat and bug fixes we have also been busy re-tooling the game to share the world of Alganon with even more players.  With this in mind, we are happy to announce that Alganon will soon be coming to Steam! The game will still be F2P with the in-game cash shop, but you can still purchase the Rise Of The Ourobani expansion if you want to.

This is an exciting step for Alganon and we look forward to the new and existing players that will take advantage of it.  We will release more information when we get closer to the release, so stay tuned!

By the time you read this, the Coming Soon store page should be live on Steam.

Being released on Steam, also means that you will be able to login using either a new Steam account or your existing Alganon account. There are no plans to migrate existing Alganon accounts to Steam.

Comments

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

It really got a chuckle out of me when I saw the mail.

"WTF this still exists ?" "

And:

"Alganon is a fantasy-based MMORPG that allows thousands of people to play together in a virtual world that features a rich history dominated by commanding deities, powerful weapons and armor, deadly magic, epic quests, ancient places to discover, the utilization of detailed tradeskills, and more."

should have endet with ", in theory.".

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Such a terrible game...

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561
    actually FACTION online was a lot worse....And that game closed down within 4 months...
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

This game is like the unkillable cockroach of literal WoW clones.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Yowzers... Honestly thought this game was gone.

Is Derek Smart still heading it up? I have always enjoyed his posts.

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Nope, still running. The game is self-sustaining, so there is really no reason to shut it down at this point. It's not like we have millions of dollars in overhead like those other games. Right now, we're implementing Xsolla since Zeevex, our in-game payment processor is going out of business. Once that's done, the Steam release will go live.

We even did an expansion pack  which was released last year and I'm thinking of doing another one which will mostly be a graphics update.

And yes, I am still overseeing it; which is i) why it's still running ii) it's coming to Steam

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by dsmart

Nope, still running. The game is self-sustaining, so there is really no reason to shut it down at this point. It's not like we have millions of dollars in overhead like those other games. Right now, we're implementing Xsolla since Zeevex, our in-game payment processor is going out of business. Once that's done, the Steam release will go live.

We even did an expansion pack  which was released last year and I'm thinking of doing another one which will mostly be a graphics update.

And yes, I am still overseeing it; which is i) why it's still running ii) it's coming to Steam

Graphics update = expansion pack?

Lmfao!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I played the game for a while a couple years ago but quit mostly because of "the" management. The title had some unique features that I liked, and the community was great but didn't last very long.

Seems if they are going to Steam they could offer some Steam achievements with it. Just say'n! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Netspook

Graphics update = expansion pack?

Lmfao!

Not sure why that's funny. You do realize that most expansion packs, including new game content, usually include lots of graphics improvements and enhancements, right ? So yeah, that's what I'm talking about. :)

Originally posted by Amjoco

I played the game for a while a couple years ago but quit mostly because of "the" management. The title had some unique features that I liked, and the community was great but didn't last very long.

Seems if they are going to Steam they could offer some Steam achievements with it. Just say'n! 

Achievements are not easy to do; especially for an MMO. Also, just because a game is on Steam, doesn't mean that it has to have them. In fact, the majority of games on Steam don't have any achievements.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

TBH Derek, I know that you get a lot of grief, but kudos to you guys for keeping this going.

It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but what MMORPG is? 

Best of luck to you and Quest with it.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

TBH Derek, I know that you get a lot of grief, but kudos to you guys for keeping this going.

It's pretty amazing this game is still going. This came out in what 2009 and now it's on steam. Hats off to you guys considering NC Soft killed City of Heroes and all the other MMORPGs that have sunset it's pretty remarkable. Like atomic cockroaches.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Achievements are not easy to do; especially for an MMO. Also, just because a game is on Steam, doesn't mean that it has to have them. In fact, the majority of games on Steam don't have any achievements.

Really? huh.

I was just making a casual suggestion.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

When Blizzard added achievements to WoW, they said it was very easy contents to add, therefore we should expect a lot of it, if it got popular. But appearently it's way out of your league.

There are only 2 reasons why the majority of Steam games doesn't have achievements, and it's directly related to what happened after Valve opened the flood gates:

1. There are thousands of crappy indy games, most seems to have a microscopic budget, and barely any devs.

2. There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of games that are much older than the achievement system. These games are mostly added to Steam with no updates whatsoever.

For newer games, almost every AAA title on Steam has achievements, and you know it. I have never seen any devs (apart from you) claiming it's not easy to add it.

Thanks.

As you probably know, my own games have been going on for years, and I tend to update them, do sequels etc. Since I took over Alganon in 2010, that hasn't changed for me. Which is why we added a lot of new content back in 2010 (the re-release) and I had an expansion developed and which was released last year.

The game doesn't have a large team that's burning through millions a month, while not earning millions to justify its existence. That's why most of these MMO games get shut down because of manpower costs, operational costs, bandwidth costs etc.

I always said that I would keep Alganon going for as long as I could. So I have been doing that since 2010. Yeah, things could be better, seeing as it is still struggling to grow, but it is what it is. My bringing it to Steam was in hopes that new people will discover it. Though, for the most part, since the Steam forums went up, I've been battling the usually nonsensical bullshit: it's a WoW clone. That never gets old. :(

When Blizzard added achievements to WoW, they said it was very easy contents to add, therefore we should expect a lot of it, if it got popular. But appearently it's way out of your league.

There are only 2 reasons why the majority of Steam games doesn't have achievements, and it's directly related to what happened after Valve opened the flood gates:

1. There are thousands of crappy indy games, most seems to have a microscopic budget, and barely any devs.

2. There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of games that are much older than the achievement system. These games are mostly added to Steam with no updates whatsoever.

For newer games, almost every AAA title on Steam has achievements, and you know it. I have never seen any devs (apart from you) claiming it's not easy to add it.

Sorry to break it to you, but you're wrong. Just because you make an assertion, without any basic of fact, doesn't make it true.

The very notion that "almost every AAA title on Steam has achievementsis the sort of statement that tends to lead to arguments, because it's blatantly false.

As I said, achievements are not easy to do; especially for an MMO because of how they are designed. It has more to do with the game, than it does with SteamWorks. But you're not a developer (if you were, you'd know this), so I don't want to waste my time explaining it to you since you're just going to argue anyway.

Sorry to break it to you, but you're wrong. Just because you make an assertion, without any basic of fact, doesn't make it true.

The very notion that "almost every AAA title on Steam has achievementsis the sort of statement that tends to lead to arguments, because it's blatantly false.

As I said, achievements are not easy to do; especially for an MMO because of how they are designed. It has more to do with the game, than it does with SteamWorks. But you're not a developer (if you were, you'd know this), so I don't want to waste my time explaining it to you since you're just going to argue anyway.

When I said that almost every AAA title has achievements, I also said FOR NEWER GAMES. And calling that "blatantly false" is just a load of bs, and you know it. I've bought over 70 new games the last 3 years or so, and EVERY SINGLE ONE of them has achievements.

But again, that's obviously way out of your league. Just like making quality games is.

• NecropsieNecropsie Member UncommonPosts: 142

Thanks.

As you probably know, my own games have been going on for years, and I tend to update them, do sequels etc. Since I took over Alganon in 2010, that hasn't changed for me. Which is why we added a lot of new content back in 2010 (the re-release) and I had an expansion developed and which was released last year.

The game doesn't have a large team that's burning through millions a month, while not earning millions to justify its existence. That's why most of these MMO games get shut down because of manpower costs, operational costs, bandwidth costs etc.

I always said that I would keep Alganon going for as long as I could. So I have been doing that since 2010. Yeah, things could be better, seeing as it is still struggling to grow, but it is what it is. My bringing it to Steam was in hopes that new people will discover it. Though, for the most part, since the Steam forums went up, I've been battling the usually nonsensical bullshit: it's a WoW clone. That never gets old. :(

I like your passion. I always did. Don't get me wrong, i don't like a lot of things about you, but they are not business related. Any developer out there would have shut down this game years ago. You didn't. You are stubborn as f... fluff and i like it.

That's why i purchased the expansion through Steam and i am excited about it. Well, we'll see, only 500 MB to go.

Stages of a new mmo: 1) It's just beta. It still has plenty of time before release. 2) It just launched. Give it time. WoW wasn't built in a day. 3) We don't need you anyway. 4) F2P announced. 5)Huge influx of players. 6) Look how much has changed. 7) Cash shop is the only thing developed lately. 8) It has been a long journey and we thank everyone who was part of it. Shutting down in 3 months. (Courtesy of Robokapp.)

• headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by Nilden

Is he wearing sneakers!?

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Originally posted by headen

Is he wearing sneakers!?

LOL, that's hilarious!

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I remember being in the alpha and beta of this game a long time ago. It had some promise. All that went out the window when Smart took over. It is only still going because it is pretty much free money for them to use on other " projects ".
    Originally posted by Necropsie

Thanks.

I like your passion. I always did. Don't get me wrong, i don't like a lot of things about you, but they are not business related. Any developer out there would have shut down this game years ago. You didn't. You are stubborn as f... fluff and i like it.

That's why i purchased the expansion through Steam and i am excited about it. Well, we'll see, only 500 MB to go.

Thanks for your support. We're going to keep putting spit and polish on it. :)

Originally posted by DelCabon
    Originally posted by headen

Is he wearing sneakers!?

LOL, that's hilarious!

LOL!! Ye....aahhh, I'm staying outta that one. :)

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

Wow that looks hilariously bad in this day and age, but at the same time I'm sure some people worked hard on this, so I don't want to think too negatively about it. However I'll admit as soon as I saw the name I had negative imagery and this picture backs up why I'm glad I never bothered trying the game. 

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

Originally posted by SlyLoK
    I remember being in the alpha and beta of this game a long time ago. It had some promise. All that went out the window when Smart took over. It is only still going because it is pretty much free money for them to use on other " projects ".

Just goes to show that you don't know wtf you're talking about. The money going into Alganon, comes from me. 

And you have your history all screwed up. Completely. But don't let that stop you. Here, let someone help you out with that.

Firstly, I have nothing to do with Derek Smart or the company behind Alganon. What I do have is, as a player many hours over the years in this game. I am also aware of a lot of the troubled development/history of Alganon. 

The original person behind the development made a mess of it and whatever anyone thinks of Derek Smart, he stepped in and saved Alganon. 

To be honest, by then, a lot of damage had been done and it seems that it has been a uphill struggle to keep Alganon going and bring in a large population.

It seems the cards were stacked up against Alganon not because it is a bad MMO but of what the original main man did (or did not do). Kinda demonstrates how bad press can ruin even a good thing.

That is a shame because while Alganon is not a AAA MMO that will set the world on fire, it is still a decent respectable MMO that has a lot of good points to it. 

As far as it's development, I imagine much of the slow progress over the years on Alganon plus the expansion was done on a tight shoestring budget. But, apart from very low populations, it seems like a decent polished little MMO.

For me, the only reason I still do not play Alganon is the low population. I pop back in from time to time because it does have a special feeling for me.I know that if the population picks up in a real way, I will be back in.

So, try to ignore all the negative comments and just give it a try. It may not be your cup of tea but you may be positively surprised. Remember that populations may be low but if enough people give it a shot, that might change.

Kinda nice to see Alganon on Steam :)