Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade: Lead Level Designer Leaves Project

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Lead Level Designer Steven Lumpkin has announced via his personal Twitter that he is leaving his position with the development of Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade. Without revealing any further details, Lumpkin said that he will be working with a "young studio" in the Montreal area.

Friends- in a week, I will be departing my role as Lead Level Designer on Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade. (cont) http://t.co/UZg8TBGu3y

— Steven Lumpkin (@Silent0siris) April 30, 2015

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

Any details as to why he chose to move on? Better offer, more money etc...?

Really hoping Eternal Crusade doesn't flop. We need a solid 40k MMO.

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

So...first the Project Lead bounces without much word on why, after being one of the most enthusiastic developers since Paul Barnett. Now, we have the Lead Level Designer leaving, again without much word.

Idk, I was pretty damned excited for what this game could have been, but when department and project(!!!) leads start leaving with very little word, it doesn't bode well. I am really starting to believe that the Warhammer/WH40k properties must be cursed or something...I know that Games Workshop has a reputation as supposedly being hard to work with, so that likely has something to do with the lack of really good video games using their IP's, but it can't explain all this. Can it?

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I think the bigger companies and publishers have unreal expectations and rush product out.  I can see why people leave them for smaller indie-style studios.  If you were the creative type, would you want to work for EA or John Smedley where you are told what to do and how long to do it?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404

third times a charm?

hoping the third try to make a  warhammer mmo goes well when due.

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Where is Lumpkin, where is Lumpkin?
    -Chuckles
  • abahnurabahnur Member UncommonPosts: 63
    please don't get canceled, please don't get canceled, please don't get canceled!
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263

This smells like a mix of Wizard's death-grip on every stage of development along with the standard investor push to see a profit turned sooner and sooner. It always causes the creative (and arguably the most vital) parts of development teams to ditch.

There is, of course, other possibilities. But if it rests with one or the other, then this is just another title fallen victim to a self-defecating system that never learns.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

:(

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

it seems their early cash milking didn't work well, and some heads should leave...

i hope at least they will release this MMO in a proper way or better not. So far they show extremely long videos with mediocre graphics and bad aesthetics, trully uninspired.. THQ's Dark Millenium was looking far better than what they have shown for almost a year... Even their fan art are far better than their official artists..!

• wiscelwiscel Member UncommonPosts: 19
    From the little footage I've seen from Dark Millennium Online the world looked a lot better and varied than the same footage we get to see from Eternal Crusade.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

i feel this game isnt picking up as other warhammer titles are currently doing. ( and i bought a founders pack early last year!!)

total war, Mordheim, and their mobile franchises.

wonder when this game will see an actual launch.