Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I come back?

JaldrenJaldren Member UncommonPosts: 363

Yup, one of those threads, sorry :)

I left shortly after Cataclysm came out. Played a bit and saw it felt more of the same: rush to endgame, repeat raids while waiting for the next patch, rinse and repeat.

I want to want to come back, but I'm afraid everything is still the same, even 2 expansions after: everyone just rushing to endgame and just spamming the LFG for raid pickups. I love levelling a lot more than endgame. I love that "ding" sound with the light show. Unfortunately my fav classes are maxed out, but I really want to start from the beginning.

If I get WoD, is there something new for level 1-90? Or is it the same zones that I know by heart? Minus the "slight" changes done by Cata. I would like something new, like a companion (like in Guild Wars 1, Star Trek or Star Wars),  even if it's a pet (Pokemon anyone?) that I can take with me all the levelling. Just new maps doesn't cut it. Need new gameplay elements.

Please note I like PvE grouping and really dislike PvP.

Also, I have been scouting the forums and review sites a bit. WoW apparently still suffers from HORRID community. Kids, spammers, farmers, randomers... Is it really that bad?

TL;DR: played years ago. Didn't play MoP. Thinking of getting WoD and start a new character. What new features will I see from level 1?

Thanks!

Comments

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Jaldren

Also, I have been scouting the forums and review sites a bit. WoW apparently still suffers from HORRID community. Kids, spammers, farmers, randomers... Is it really that bad?

Wut?  No it's not that bad!!  lol.

Well I wouldn't know about the endgame at all.  I've been playing WoW for the last 3 weeks and I've made several toons, my highest is level 26.  And let me elaborate...  Level 26 is the HIGHEST I've ever had a toon in WoW.

The community at the early levels is very quiet.  I would HOPE that is get more immature and fun when and if I get to higher levels lol.  

My biggest worry so far is that I'll have to skip content at some point because I won't be able to find groups for the dungeons I want to do.  As for this, I really have no idea.  The first 2 dungeons I did find a group through the dungeon finder after about 10 minutes which was cool.  Of course there's no time to read the story though until after the instance.  My group ran it FAST.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

There isn't anything really new for level 1-85, since the cata expansion, and you'll have all of MoP from 85-90, but there really is no point in doing them.

WoW is still all about latest expansion content and max level if you want to keep up with progression or content updates.

• JaldrenJaldren Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Originally posted by observer

There isn't anything really new for level 1-85, since the cata expansion, and you'll have all of MoP from 85-90, but there really is no point in doing them.

WoW is still all about latest expansion content and max level if you want to keep up with progression or content updates.

So no new mechanics while levelling?

Incredible. 10 years and nothing new.

• RivolRivol Member UncommonPosts: 79

So no new mechanics while levelling?

Incredible. 10 years and nothing new.

Apart from a revamp of a lot of the old dungeons and some early quests no not much has changed. You are still pretty much stuck with questing/dungeons and pvp for leveling. But that doesn't worry me too much, I have dozens of alts on multiple servers because I like leveling and find end game boring.

• ZombaisZombais Member UncommonPosts: 14

If you haven't played through the new zones that Cata redid I would think it would be worth it. I redid a toon and had a lot of fun playing through those, most of them were changed drastically in their story, or their story has evolved since the first iteration of them. Dungeons are definitely go go go, people just power levelling alts.

They did introduce a pokemon type system, I'm not sure if it was with cats and Pandaria, It turns all the old collectable pets into something like pokemon you can level up and battle other players, and all the little critters around the world (and collect them too). I spent a lot of time playing around with that.

The end game is the same as it was 10 years ago. Dungeon, and raid, collect loot and move to the next level, or wait for the next patch. I'm so over that. That said, if you can find a sale I think its worth it to sub for a month or two and level through the new expansions, play around with the garrison a bit, if you are into the story and the PvE aspects, and move on once you get to the gear grind at the end. 

• JaldrenJaldren Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Originally posted by Zombais

If you haven't played through the new zones that Cata redid I would think it would be worth it. I redid a toon and had a lot of fun playing through those, most of them were changed drastically in their story, or their story has evolved since the first iteration of them. Dungeons are definitely go go go, people just power levelling alts.

They did introduce a pokemon type system, I'm not sure if it was with cats and Pandaria, It turns all the old collectable pets into something like pokemon you can level up and battle other players, and all the little critters around the world (and collect them too). I spent a lot of time playing around with that.

The end game is the same as it was 10 years ago. Dungeon, and raid, collect loot and move to the next level, or wait for the next patch. I'm so over that. That said, if you can find a sale I think its worth it to sub for a month or two and level through the new expansions, play around with the garrison a bit, if you are into the story and the PvE aspects, and move on once you get to the gear grind at the end. 

Thank you for your reply. For someone that loves group instancing and tends to level solo, diong quest after quest (no mob grinding), do you think it's a good time to come back?

Also, with all the new non-levelling things (pokemon and garrisons), maybe there is too much to do and a newcomer would feel overwhelmed?

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Zombais

Thank you for your reply. For someone that loves group instancing and tends to level solo, diong quest after quest (no mob grinding), do you think it's a good time to come back?

Also, with all the new non-levelling things (pokemon and garrisons), maybe there is too much to do and a newcomer would feel overwhelmed?

If this is the game type that you like to play. Then there is no time that's a bad time to play WoW.

• GrimmurrGrimmurr Member Posts: 4
    In MoP it seemed they tried to make every part of the game accessible to everyone. Then some of the announcements for WoD made it sound like they were going back to needing a good guild to get into some endgame stuff (PvE and PvP). Did I turn out that way?
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

If you liked WoW before, you'll like it now, if you grew bored of it, you'll likely be just as bored now.

Heroics are absolutely useless in the current game, so once you're done with those which might take a week or so with 2-3 hours of play a day ( If not way way less depending on luck with drops ) you'll only do your raid lockouts every week and you'll be out of content.

I'd advise that unless you really like collecting toys and mounts and farming old content, to just sit this one out until a better expansion comes a long with more content, WoD is pretty barren, questing 90-100 will be tons of fun once, and after that lose all It's magic, maybe just try a month and see.

• hidrohidro Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Ill chime in here since I was in the same boat as you (left after Cata release)

I have to say that questing from 90-100 was a most fantastic experience. The cut scenes, the storylines.. it's awesomeness!!

Garrisons are sort of addicting, they are a cool change of pace.

Wow will always be a gear grind. 6.2 promises new endgame 'mechanics' such as mythic difficulty dungeons and this 'timewarp' or whatever they've called it.. which basically resurrects old dungeons.. scaling us down to the proper item level to do them. The cool thing about that is that it will give you endgame 100 gear, but with cooool vintage looks. (Transmog yeah!)

Either way - I'm having lots of fun. Having wasted time and money on a bunch of other MMOs in the past 10 years or so.. I have to say that this is the game that keeps my attention the longest.

Hope this helps.

Console Esports?
    www.supergamebowl.com