Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think I'm ass out

darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I looking for decent generic tab-targeted MMO where the world is fun to grind in and has things I can achieve on my own schedule. A plus would be a half hearted population that participates at low levels.  New games coming would be nice as well.

In my search I see that don't even make them anymore.  Everything today (and coming) is action-based which while fun never holds my attention long term.

Some things I like:

- Grinding for 100s of levels

- Fantasy based (but like real life things like ammo, eating, etc)

- Skill trees - Character bulding (I dont care about best build)

- Running dungeon pugs

- Ability to craft own armor / weapons (better if I can use it)

- diversity in loot (variety of weapons/armor/etc)

- Kill 10 rat questing

- Housing is plus plus

- Pet system

- Mercenary system

- Active Economy where I can grind gold (loot I find I can sell, or I can make and others can buy)

Games I've tried:

- WoW - love/hate relationship. Great world, dungeons, active community but very limited character building and while lore is deep its hard to follow and not impressive when I can.

- FF XIV - Graphics had something about them I just couldnt shake but didnt prevent me from playing.  I didnt like the options for Archer and the world didnt feel continuous.  I didn't have fun leveling (may try again for a fourth time but suspect the same outcome)

- Perfect World. Liking this game but its just hard to find people to play with to run dungeons. Inventory system is irritating but close to what I am looking for

- AION. Just rubs me the wrong way dont know why. Will try to give a third chance.  At least to level 20.  My ignorant view is I didnt feel the world was diverse enough (accept I've barely started).

- Eden Eternal. Really fun. Liked the grinding. But world wasn't big enough. No reason to explore.

- Lineage II. *mmmaaaybbee*  I mean I like grinding but holy fuck I dont think you can get more generic than that.  Though I found the lore and questing interesting enough to continue.  Dont feel the world is diverse or open enough. Only got to level 7 I think.  Is it all just adventure zones or is there more?

- SWTOR. Good questing. Pretty fun. Dont feel there is a need to leave the path between quest giver and quest objective. Felt "corridor-y" or very narrow.  How is the crafting I thought it was hands off and time-based.

- ArcheAge. Oh my fucking god.  Quirky asian theme that I slowly got comfortable with and then they launched and Trion acted like they never knew what an MMO was.  World open but felt it was barren.  Loved the updated grinding concepts (grind more quest objectives to get more reward).  Loved growing plants and the fact you had to work to progress.  Another one with not enough variety.

- SWGEMU. Liked this one ALOT.  On tatooine I could explore freely but there was nothing to see. Very hard to find mobs to grind.  Liked the combat with health, endurance and mind but had no fucking clue how to progress.  My skills went up I put points in the tree but never figured out the auction house (I had guns that I thought I could equip but I couldnt and didnt know how to fidn out).  Yeah, I could read but the amount I needed outweighed the time playing the game.  Why they kill this again?

- Everquest.  THIS IS WHAT I WANT!  Open World.  Hundreds of zones.  Tons of different weapons.  Great old school combat where you had to think about your skills.  I have six characters highest one level 88 rogue on Vox.  The graphics and outdated system just gets to me after awhile not allowing me to play this long term. Very fustrating.  I wish someone would simple copy this game with an updated engine and game mechanics.

- Everquest II. Its great. I would play it if I wasn't scared of the character models. Its like uncanny value and unerves me after 20 or 30 levels.  I think I should force myself to play this since it does have evertyhing I want, its just that Ive played through all the starter areas so many times I get bored.

So yeah... Im assed out right?

Comments

• AbdiellAbdiell Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Sounds like Rift might be a pretty good game for you.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Abdiell
    Sounds like Rift might be a pretty good game for you.

Eh. I tried Rift... the animations was off for me, they looked quirky. But to you point I should give this another shot past 20.  I have an archer character.   I'll load that tonight.  Thanks.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814
    Might want to give LoTRO a try.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Tried the Asian character skins in EQ2? If the skins are your only problem with the game of course...

You can change to them in the settings.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    L2, at level 7 you're still in the starter zone.  At least give it to level 20.  It's very diverse.  They did put the G in grind.  I like the quests and the class change quests.  They did revamp the game some, it use to take me months to get to around level 30, now with buffs it took about a week.  That said, I have not played since the revamp.  It was one of my favorite games when it first came out.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Did you try Fallen Earth?

It has  very open ended gameplay and is best played as a quest, craft, explore game.  It's not fantasy, its post apoc, but as long as you can handle the rather dreary atmosphere ( perfectly suited IMO) it does offer some fairly freeform gameplay.

Its completely free to try and play for that matter, so no risk other than time.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Originally posted by Octagon7711
    L2, at level 7 you're still in the starter zone.  At least give it to level 20.  It's very diverse.  They did put the G in grind.  I like the quests and the class change quests.  They did revamp the game some, it use to take me months to get to around level 30, now with buffs it took about a week.  That said, I have not played since the revamp.  It was one of my favorite games when it first came out.

Thanks!  I'll do that as it was (more) fun leveling than in PWI.

Originally posted by Loke666

Tried the Asian character skins in EQ2? If the skins are your only problem with the game of course...

I didnt know there were asian themes skins.  Sounds interesting and will give that a try.  I wish the combat animations were better too.

Oh and welcome back Loke! I thought you left the board awhile back :)

Originally posted by Boneserino

It has  very open ended gameplay and is best played as a quest, craft, explore game.  It's not fantasy, its post apoc, but as long as you can handle the rather dreary atmosphere ( perfectly suited IMO) it does offer some fairly freeform gameplay.

Its completely free to try and play for that matter, so no risk other than time.

+1 for Way of the Dragon avatar.

Heard of fallen earth and stayed away due to post apoc but I'm older now and can look past that for good gameplay.  Is it survival based (meaning I have to search for food and weapons) or regular quest based in post apoc setting?

I heard the re-population was a re-imagination of SWG.  Looking to get over my fantasy setting bias. Slowly making progress.

Originally posted by olepi
    Might want to give LoTRO a try.

I have LOTRO loaded now.  Level 3 or 4 archer character. Character models bother me here but will try to take to level 20.  Thanks.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

what about eso the crafting is great  has a lot of things you might like there is   gloria victus too new upcoming game 15 lets you play it sandbox and hard not very easy open world pvp 

• HakulaniHakulani Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Have you checked out The Repopulation? It's still in beta on Steam but you have to pay $20, will be free to play when it comes out. There's also SkyForge but that's also in beta and would have to pay to try that also, believe that will be free to play when it comes out also. 
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814
    If you are looking for a sandboxy type game, you might look at Ryzom. It probably has the best creature AI of any game, and is basically a virtual world. There are few quests, mainly just to make money, and all decent items are player crafted. Drops only consist of mats to make stuff, no armor or weapons drop. You have to construct all your actions, including magic, fighting, digging, crafting, etc.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Originally posted by Tatercake

what about eso the crafting is great  has a lot of things you might like there is   gloria victus too new upcoming game 15 lets you play it sandbox and hard not very easy open world pvp 

I'm old.  I haven't gotten accustomed to action combat in MMOs yet. I'm stubborn.  I have ESO (was in it since beta). Great world to explore but didnt like the combat (especially the mouse look to move).  Potential since I loved Elder Scrolls Morrowind.

Originally posted by Hakulani
    Have you checked out The Repopulation? It's still in beta on Steam but you have to pay $20, will be free to play when it comes out. There's also SkyForge but that's also in beta and would have to pay to try that also, believe that will be free to play when it comes out also. 

On my list.  Does the beta provide a decent play experience or does it need more work?  Sky Forge is also on my list. Not tab target but sounded fun.

I am also looking forward to Tree of Savior

Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    Originally posted by Boneserino

+1 for Way of the Dragon avatar.

Heard of fallen earth and stayed away due to post apoc but I'm older now and can look past that for good gameplay.  Is it survival based (meaning I have to search for food and weapons) or regular quest based in post apoc setting?

I heard the re-population was a re-imagination of SWG.  Looking to get over my fantasy setting bias. Slowly making progress.

Its quest based but it has fantastic crafting that is completely necessary to gameplay.   All gear in the game is crafted, not dropped by mobs.  This means you have to either make it yourself or buy it from another player.  The only non crafted gear are a few very rare drops and also gear you can buy thru points earned in PvP.

Basically the games puts you thru a very good tutorial, then places you in a starter town.  From there, you are on your own.  You can do quests and dungeons at any time.   NPC's have quest markers over their heads but you can do them in any order or not at all if you wish.   There is a main story line quest as well. 

There are three classes: 1 melee and 2 ranged ( pistol and rifle).   You level to 55 but you also are given points to raise your characters stats and skills.   Stats are basic attributes like Strength Endurance and Perception.   These affect your abilities based on what class and weapon you use.  So you are free to build your character in your own way for the most part.

It is a unique MMO with lots of good ideas that unfortunately never got the chance to take off.   Population is respectable but the world can feel fairly barren due to its large size.  There are lots of mounts in game and limited fast travel.  You can have pets but they are all non combat.  No housing, but this is not a big deal IMO.  The item crafting makes up for that.

For myself I have 3 toons in all classes and although the content is roughly the same for each, I have had just as much fun playing each toon as the first.  If you enjoy the game I think it has enough content to give you 1-2 years of solid playability.   If you prefer to rush to level, you may find it a 6 month type of game.  But it is also the type of game you like to come back to once and a while I think.

Anyway, play it for 10 to 20 levels and I think you will either love it or hate at the point.  Many that like it always say, I thought I would hate this game but its pretty good!  That was my feeling too.

Hope that gives you an idea, and good luck finding a game.

• HakulaniHakulani Member UncommonPosts: 47

On my list.  Does the beta provide a decent play experience or does it need more work?  Sky Forge is also on my list. Not tab target but sounded fun.

It's been a while since I've played The Repopulation, well I can't really judge it since I haven't really played it much. When I did though it was confusing to me but it's been a while since I've tried it so who knows the changes they've made.

It's been a while since I've played The Repopulation, well I can't really judge it since I haven't really played it much. When I did though it was confusing to me but it's been a while since I've tried it so who knows the changes they've made.

I also tried the Repop, because I was intrigued by the crafting.   I understand why the above poster says he was confused. 

I never played SWG so can't compare.   But I did not enjoy this type of crafting.  It is very dependent on guilds and mass gathering to be effective.   Essentially they tell you that you will be mostly making parts and then buying other parts from other players or just buying completed items.   Very complex with a steep learning curve.   In other words a game that requires a serious commitment to the learning curve.   Not for the casual player IMO. 

Combat and such I found similar to other MMO's.   So you either love the crafting / economy aspect of it, or not.  

It wasn't for me.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Loke666

I didnt know there were asian themes skins.  Sounds interesting and will give that a try.  I wish the combat animations were better too.

Oh and welcome back Loke! I thought you left the board awhile back :)

The asian style skins are really, really nice for some of the races.

I've used the alternate skin for Halflings the entire time I've played the game, and it's like night and day. Very sharp looking and a stark contrast to the defaults.

• BulldozeBulldoze Member UncommonPosts: 115

Like said previously I think Rift is the game for you, give it a proper shot.

The world is full of "Carnage quests" which literally are grind x30 mob type quests

Instant adventure is just grinding and those you can jump into at any level

Housing is pretty well done with many options

Pug dungeons galore

Last time I played it took quite a while to level (at level 50+)  

I am the Arch-fiend, the Despoiler of Worlds, and by my hands shall the false Emperor fall.

Originally posted by NightHaveN
    You should try GW2. As other games have its ups and downs in the lore department. But is so different the way you deal with world, quest, crafting. The bank is shared among characters, and while that may sound intimidating the mats section of it is huge.

The only thing GW2 as any other game that has a shop, is that most collectibles comes from shop, insted of world crafted, or farmed.

For a full 100% free cash shop til this day, with costumes, mounts, dyes and soon vanity pets, then check Wildstar.

I was beta in GW2 as well.  Have a Asura Engineer 27, Human Warrior 33, and Slyvanni Ranger 18. I liked the game at first and the world was really visual and catered to my grinding passions.  I felt the story/lore was too light and the hybrid action/tab-target combat wore on me.

Small chance to spin up again now that they have redone traits but still concerned about how much dodging and running around I had to do when in combat. 

My view on action combat is that it doesn't belong in an MMORPG (maybe an MMO).  And thats probably because I grew up with traditional RPGs where the combat was more about having a ton of skills and picking the right one for the fight.  It wasn't about movement. I understand thats 'old school' but its relaxing and carthartic to a degree watching your character grow and gain new skills.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I think you are way off on Aion and Lineage 2.

extremely diverse worlds. Aion maybe too much.

I do undestand that they consolidated the starter zones in L2. That's a shame.

I actualy went to the former starter zone in dark elf village. Kind of interesting as it seems some sort of apocalypse must have happened in game.

questing in L2? I suppose that's funny as there were never many quests but I suppose they've added them since.

get to level 20 in both and at least you'll see different thigns. Or heck, just go exploring.

and old? You're 42!!!! I'm older than you and I don't think i'm old! image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Bulldoze

Like said previously I think Rift is the game for you, give it a proper shot.

The world is full of "Carnage quests" which literally are grind x30 mob type quests

Instant adventure is just grinding and those you can jump into at any level

Housing is pretty well done with many options

Pug dungeons galore

Last time I played it took quite a while to level (at level 50+)  

Playing Rift now.  Those character models are ugly. But as I said, I will give it until level 20 or so as the other mechanics I enjoy may allow me to overlook them.  Thanks!

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

While you are in Rift, check out Dimensions. There is a level 7-ish quest that gets you your first dimension for free, along with some materials for building.