Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Limited Skill Training

RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Not sure if this is true, but

From what I am hearing from other players skills are going to be limited based off settlements in the game for example if players join a corporation that only supports certain classes, or crafts then basically you will only be able to train a max in those skills, and only up to like a certain level in NPC city's basically characters are limited skill wise rather than being a true sand-box game like EVE online where a player can train any skill they want at a specific time.

So for example if I am in a settlement and train level 12 fighter, or level 12 armor crafting, and then I join another settlement that does not support those skills I will have them decreased to a minimum level as a NPC city has.

And the PVP system is going to have an alignment system putting heavy penalty on those who PK other players meaning that ganking.

I was looking forward to this game in the future, but if the game takes this path I think I am done with the game, too limited not truly sandbox like EVE Online, or Dark Fall, could be a decent game, but this is where developers make bad choices.

Another thing that somewhat makes me pissed as a player is the inability to buy Destiny's twin which allows players to train two characters at the same time on an account, all new players will lose lots of skill points and be limited to one character per account training at a single time. (This option should be purchased via the cash shop for any player who wants it.)

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986

They promised that Destiny's Twin would never be offered again after Kickstarter.

You can regularly find some Destiny's Twin accounts for sale on the paizo forums (not the Goblinworks ones because they do not allow PMs...)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• wmmarcellinowmmarcellino Member UncommonPosts: 94

1. You never loose skills you train in.  If I am in Ozem's Vigil and train up to 12 Cleric, and then go to Stoneroot Glade, I don't loose the skills I spent exp on.

2. I can loose access to skills for a while.  If I'm a member of Ozem's Vigil, level 12 Cleric, but I murder people and loose so much rep that they kick me out, and I go join a low level place for PK'ers--we'll call it scum town supporting level 8--then for while I'm a member of Scum Town, I'm effectively capped at 8.  If I become more lawful/higher rep, and am able to join Golgotha, I will instantly be able to use my abilities to max again.

3. No single settlement can provide training all the classes, but they can support a lot of classes (with some alignment constraints).  My settlement can provide training for Cleric, Fighter, and several associated crafts (e.g. Weaponsmith, Iconographer, Armorsmith, etc).  We cannot provide Wizard training however--you would have to run over to Stoneroot Glade, for example, to train in Wizard.  Ozem's Vigil can support those trained levels though, through additional holdings we've built.  The point is to make settlements have to cooperate and share training, same as with crafting--no one is self-sufficient.

4. The sociality system is actually two seperate things--alignment (how good and evil you are), and reputation (how pro/anti-social you are).  But yes, if you just run around ganking newbs all the time, the system will punish you.  Now, if you want to be in a settlement, and fight, raid, and oppose another settlement, that can be done with no reputation loss.  The idea is to stop random PK ganking and griefing, and make PvP meaningful and for a purpose.

Do the RIGHT THING: come be a Paladin with us! http://ozemsvigil.guildlaunch.com/

• Farmer1124Farmer1124 Member Posts: 8

The Destiny's Twin accounts for sale are more like transfers of existing accounts - i.e., players who either gave up on the game or players who purchased Kickstarter packages with multiple accounts that they couldn't sell or give to their friends.  These aren't being sold through Goblin Works.  At least they allow these types of transfers, for whatever that's worth.  The accounts ran through April, so that's why you're seeing them.  Additional accounts, those that picked up the extra months (through July), should be showing up for sale around that time.

I've never really bought into this concept of limiting the player by essentially closing access to skills, crafting and similar things because you belong to a company that's in a settlement that's chosen to focus on a few things with a limited alignment (one step from settlement alignment).  I can see what they're trying to do - build unity of settlement and cause settlements to ally with each other - but this isn't the best way to go about it.  To me, it's an anti-social feature because if forces a group of players with varied interests into splitting up or choosing which PCs are suboptimal.

Farmer,

It is certainly a pain in the butt.  We have a couple wizards in Ozem's Vigil, and having to hoof it to another settlement to train is a PitA.  But on the other hand, it has forced us to think about and work with other settlements to mutually fill each other's gaps: it's having the intended effect of forcing us to be social.  I think when you have a principle like this being implemented--that this game hinges on sociality and the kinds of meaningful choices you have to make in the social world--the specific mechanics that implement the principle can seem like a pain.  EQ, maybe by accident rather than design, generally forced you to group.  It was incredibly inconvenient to HAVE to group to be successful (a few very diligent necros aside), and people complained.  But that enforced grouping was what made the game so compelling--at the micro level it was a pain, but at the macro level, they struck gold.

And in terms of roleplaying, it doesn't make sense to have the same town offer paladin training next to necromancer training.  For some of us, Golarion being brought to life as a lore-rich context for the game means something.

Do the RIGHT THING: come be a Paladin with us! http://ozemsvigil.guildlaunch.com/

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Originally posted by wmmarcellino

1. You never loose skills you train in.  If I am in Ozem's Vigil and train up to 12 Cleric, and then go to Stoneroot Glade, I don't loose the skills I spent exp on.

2. I can loose access to skills for a while.  If I'm a member of Ozem's Vigil, level 12 Cleric, but I murder people and loose so much rep that they kick me out, and I go join a low level place for PK'ers--we'll call it scum town supporting level 8--then for while I'm a member of Scum Town, I'm effectively capped at 8.  If I become more lawful/higher rep, and am able to join Golgotha, I will instantly be able to use my abilities to max again.

3. No single settlement can provide training all the classes, but they can support a lot of classes (with some alignment constraints).  My settlement can provide training for Cleric, Fighter, and several associated crafts (e.g. Weaponsmith, Iconographer, Armorsmith, etc).  We cannot provide Wizard training however--you would have to run over to Stoneroot Glade, for example, to train in Wizard.  Ozem's Vigil can support those trained levels though, through additional holdings we've built.  The point is to make settlements have to cooperate and share training, same as with crafting--no one is self-sufficient.

4. The sociality system is actually two seperate things--alignment (how good and evil you are), and reputation (how pro/anti-social you are).  But yes, if you just run around ganking newbs all the time, the system will punish you.  Now, if you want to be in a settlement, and fight, raid, and oppose another settlement, that can be done with no reputation loss.  The idea is to stop random PK ganking and griefing, and make PvP meaningful and for a purpose.

1.) Which is the problem while all settlements can't provide training a user can't go to another settlement or city to learn skills basically if I join another corporation or clan in the game I am basically going to lose my fighting skill tiers if they do not support the higher skills. (This is what I have been told by others.)

Which basically means I can't play my way or choose to switch classes when I want this game isn't like EVE Online despite the Real World skill point gains.

2.) There should be no punishments for killing other players this is part of a sand-box world instead lets make safe zones for new players to learn the game. Instead of a system that punishes players just for playing a different way.

Rather than having systems that punish players good players should have their own city while evil players should have their own city aka each clan or settlement should be able to support evil players in the game  which means if a player goes red basically they will get attacked by guards at the NPC City, and at good player city's. (Rather than having skill punishments given to them from what I have been talked about.)

PK should be part of the game, otherwise lets remove the Rogue Class all together, and stealth based tactics because it becomes meaningless, now I agree there can be hard griefing which is why we need something where there are good city's vs evil with guards, and possibly safe zones for the new players where no PK is allowed.

And on top of all these restrictions, and punishment systems players who paid on kick starter a few dollars get to train two characters at the same time, a feature that will not be able to be bought or obtained by anyone else who plays the game which gives a huge unfair advantage over skill point gains when all the other players choose to buy on release.

This is why in my opinion from just playing this game not long at all if the developers take this path I expect the game not to be fun at all, and either close down completely or go Free 2 Play within not too long, and honestly I have not seen a great game developed in such a long time.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Renoaku,

what you're asking for is a really different game, and a much more anti-social one.  Which is fine--it's just not going to be PFO.  I don't think you would enjoy this game at all.