Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO is UNPLAYABLE!!

monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

Boy was I wrong. A while ago I wrote a glowing first impression of this game and since then my opinion has completely changed. Here's the first post in case you are interested: here.

So why has my opinion changed so quickly? Shortly after making that post I started getting kicked from the game occasionally. I didnt really care then because I attributed to screwing up an update. During this time I was also building a new pc so I assumed whatever error I created would be resolved once I installed the game on a 100% new pc.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

I installed the game on my new pc and ever 5mins I'm getting booted to the login screen. I've done EVERYTHING I can think of to fix this problem and got nowhere. I've spent weeks trying to get this game to work following any and every internet post I can find and nothing has solved it. I visited the ESO forums and surprise, I'm not the only one this is happening too and no answer has been found.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to say is: if you're thinking about buying this game ... dont. There's always the chance you wont have this problem but I would like to save someone the constant distress of spending $60 on something that doesnt work.

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by monochrome19
    Boy was I wrong. A while ago I wrote a glowing first impression of this game and since then my opinion has completely changed. Here's the first post in case you are interested: here. So why has my opinion changed so quickly? Shortly after making that post I started getting kicked from the game occasionally. I didnt really care then because I attributed to screwing up an update. During this time I was also building a new pc so I assumed whatever error I created would be resolved once I installed the game on a 100% new pc. WRONG WRONG WRONG. I installed the game on my new pc and ever 5mins I'm getting booted to the login screen. I've done EVERYTHING I can think of to fix this problem and got nowhere. I've spent weeks trying to get this game to work following any and every internet post I can find and nothing has solved it. I visited the ESO forums and surprise, I'm not the only one this is happening too and no answer has been found. Ultimately, what I'm trying to say is: if you're thinking about buying this game ... dont. There's always the chance you wont have this problem but I would like to save someone the constant distress of spending $60 on something that doesnt work.

Sounds like a connection issue on your end, and not an issue with the game.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

Boy was I wrong. A while ago I wrote a glowing first impression of this game and since then my opinion has completely changed. Here's the first post in case you are interested: here.

So why has my opinion changed so quickly? Shortly after making that post I started getting kicked from the game occasionally. I didnt really care then because I attributed to screwing up an update. During this time I was also building a new pc so I assumed whatever error I created would be resolved once I installed the game on a 100% new pc.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

I installed the game on my new pc and ever 5mins I'm getting booted to the login screen. I've done EVERYTHING I can think of to fix this problem and got nowhere. I've spent weeks trying to get this game to work following any and every internet post I can find and nothing has solved it. I visited the ESO forums and surprise, I'm not the only one this is happening too and no answer has been found.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to say is: if you're thinking about buying this game ... dont. There's always the chance you wont have this problem but I would like to save someone the constant distress of spending $60 on something that doesnt work.

over the past 6 weeks i've sunk a lot of hours into this game.. it's fun i'm enjoying it so much so after the 4th week i even resubbed...

never had these issues, i've had the occasional crash to desktop with an error message (probably from using sweetfx, sometimes it bugs out) but never had constant disconnections or crashes, that being said.. there is literally the chance of this happening with any game you buy thats based online... the issue could be somewhere in the route between your PC to the game server...t here might be a bad nope dropping packts etc.. causing you to disconnect and it might only happen in ESO because this node is only between you and ESO

either way, just because you believe it's the games fault doesnt make it so... just as it might not be your fault either.

But saying the game is unplayable and broken is

WRONG WRONG WRONG

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Nitth

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Sounds like a connection issue on your end, and not an issue with the game.

I wish this was the case, so I could easily resolve it, but this is the only game this happens too. Every other MMO I play has a steady connection with no lag and 60+ fps. Also, many others seem to be experiencing this problem and they all seem to point towards the time the game went B2P when it occurred.

:(

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737

As someone who plays and plays with lot of other people in a populated guild, this problem has never been heard of.

It's almost definitely a problem on your end.

• ohhhmyyyyohhhmyyyy Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I had a lot of issues with the game crashing to desktop for me, too. For me, the game became a LOT more stable/playable if I'd close the launcher app after the game started. So, click on Play then close that window when the game starts up. You may have to alt tab to the launcher window. See if that helps you at all?
    Originally posted by mbrodie

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

over the past 6 weeks i've sunk a lot of hours into this game.. it's fun i'm enjoying it so much so after the 4th week i even resubbed...

never had these issues, i've had the occasional crash to desktop with an error message (probably from using sweetfx, sometimes it bugs out) but never had constant disconnections or crashes, that being said.. there is literally the chance of this happening with any game you buy thats based online... the issue could be somewhere in the route between your PC to the game server...t here might be a bad nope dropping packts etc.. causing you to disconnect and it might only happen in ESO because this node is only between you and ESO

either way, just because you believe it's the games fault doesnt make it so... just as it might not be your fault either.

WRONG WRONG WRONG

I'd be more inclined to believe this was a problem on my end if I had connection problems anywhere else and if every possible "solution" Zenimax offered didnt involve you tweaking something under the hood in the .ini files, etc.

Originally posted by winghaven1

As someone who plays and plays with lot of other people in a populated guild, this problem has never been heard of.

This problem has definitely been heard of and definitely isnt a problem on my end, just because you dont experience it doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/159984/game-crashing-has-returned

Obviously, I'm not the only one who has this problem, there are dozens of people with the same issue.

There's definitely a problem with your logic.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

WRONG WRONG WRONG

I'd be more inclined to believe this was a problem on my end if I had connection problems anywhere else and if every possible "solution" Zenimax offered didnt involve you tweaking something under the hood in the .ini files, etc.

maybe read my post again.. as i expalained it could be a problem that is neither a fault of you or zenimax.. try playing with a program like wtfast or somthing using a different routine table to connect to the servers and see if the problem persists... if it does there is a problem in the hops between you and the game server... which is neither yours or zenimax's fault.

so i'm reading on this thread and most of these people are using 32bit windows 7 in 2015.... and have pretty average to very low performing PC's, so i mean maybe they just dont cut it.

Edit and the ini fix they posted is basically a nice way of saying your computer cant cut it running this game as is...

so i'm reading on this thread and most of these people are using 32bit windows 7 in 2015.... and have pretty average to very low performing PC's, so i mean maybe they just dont cut it.

Edit and the ini fix they posted is basically a nice way of saying your computer cant cut it running this game as is...

Yes, for this particular post that seems to be the case, but this problem is also affecting 64bit users, like myself, as well. This is one post of many and if you want I encourage you to read through the dozens of others. Even people with ridiculously powerful rigs are dealing with it. I believe someone said their comp can run the game at 4k. But basically, its not isolated with 32bit users or users with barely performing rigs.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by oakierush
    I had a lot of issues with the game crashing to desktop for me, too. For me, the game became a LOT more stable/playable if I'd close the launcher app after the game started. So, click on Play then close that window when the game starts up. You may have to alt tab to the launcher window. See if that helps you at all?

Crashing to the desktop is most often graphics driver. Try playing in borderless window or window mode to see what happens.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

This problem has definitely been heard of and definitely isnt a problem on my end, just because you dont experience it doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/159984/game-crashing-has-returned

Obviously, I'm not the only one who has this problem, there are dozens of people with the same issue.

Yup, it's a well-known problem (just read the ESO Support forum).

I experience the same problem, but luckily it's not unbearable. I only get it once an hour or so. I don't get a CTD, it just instantly puts me back to the login screen.

I quite frequently get the problem where my character cannot interact with anything in the game world (the "E" key stops working). It's as if my client has just stopped communicating with the server. Logging-out at that point results in a never-ending load screen 9 times out of 10. Killing the game via Control Panel is usually the only way out.

And very occasionally the game will freeze solid and generate an error message. Happens rarely though.

I had none of these problems in the 3 months after launch. It's only been happening since I restarted playing ESO after patch 1.6...

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Yup, it's a well-known problem (just read the ESO Support forum).

I experience the same problem, but luckily it's not unbearable. I only get it once an hour or so.

I quite frequently get the problem where my character cannot interact with anything in the game world (the "E" key stops working). It's as if my client has just stopped communicating with the server. Logging-out at that point results in a never-ending load screen 9 times out of 10. Killing the game via Control Panel is usually the only way out.

And very occasionally the game will freeze solid and generate an error message. Happens rarely though.

I had none of these problems in the 3 months after launch. It's only been happening since I restarted playing ESO after patch 1.6...

I found an alchemy mod stopped me using the "e" key after I had used it. /reloadui sorted that out.

• SuntouchedSuntouched Member CommonPosts: 50
    There are a few people in my guild that have connection issues to ESO, some get disconnected very often, but by far the majority of us including myself have no issues with that.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by psychobgr

I found an alchemy mod stopped me using the "e" key after I had used it. /reloadui sorted that out.

Lucky you.

I don't use mods at all, and /reloadui does not solve the problem in my case.

i mean i run the game at 1440p now and sit on a solid 60fps with no issues and no crashes... i could run it on 4k, but i dont have a 4k monitor so it seems kind of pointsless.. i also have AA turned off because while using sweetfx, i have forced higher AA settings through catalyst for even better visuals

http://prntscr.com/6zueei - graphic settings

• ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

i've played this game on 2 pc's now since launch. and although i do get the occasional freeze frame where the game stops, it's not happening that often these days.

I did have lots of problems at one time with it crashing, then i realized it was crashing because i had Folding at Home running in the background. For some reason having that running at same time as eso caused a lot of crashed on my old pc.

The new pc which is custom built job from Scan has np with running eso, often i'll also stream Planet Rock through the pc at the same time with np.

Have you checked to see if there's any conflicts with anything else you might have running in the background while playing?

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

I have played on and off since the beta and consistently for a couple of months and I haven't experienced any issues, it actually seems much more stable now than early on.

I don't mean to poo-poo on your issue though, I have had problems with mmos in the past that basically make a game unplayable for no apparent reason, and I know it sucks. I hope you can figure it out.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Sounds like somekind of out of sync issue.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

random disconnecting can be due to routing form you to zenimax server. try running a trace and see if anything funny pops up,

CTD can be due to it clogging up your memory. Try to run a mem-usage monitor to see if there are any weird spikes. 

Start there and see where it goes. 

This have been a good conversation

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I'm not fanboying or anything but except occasional lag spike I have no issues. Seems like this problem might be on your end.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by NightHaveN
    When I tried it recently in the Welcome Back event I didn't experience any kick to desktop Or login screen issue. If I had maybe was one in the whole weekend.

But with all the 4 chars I level to around 8 or 9 I experienced the mob phasing issue, where npcs or mobs fail to respawn unless you log out. Either forced log out like the one you experience, or manual log outs to fix something doesn't look good for a game, especially with their current retail price. For me it was a thanks, but no thanks.

Also experience some lag one day, but due to event didn't put much attention into it.

Hope your problem gets fixed and soon you'll be able to enjoy the game.

Hmm... interesting. I go weeks without seeing that old missing NPC bug but then again, I haven't spent any time in the low-level areas and especially not during a welcome back weekend. From your experience it sounds like volume may be a factor.

I can tell you though that now that I've experienced all 3 alliance leveling areas, I found more weirdness in the DC areas than the other two... just annoying stuff: dismounted for no reason, sorcerer pets de-spawn for no reason, etc.

Of the 3 areas the AD looks to me to be the most polished. no bugs I can think of and the zones are laid-out better for people like me that don't follow bread crumb quests and just go off exploring.

To the OP: Sounds like you have a really frustrating rare bug that luckily most of us never see. You've probably tried everything but if you haven't... run both the launcher and the ESO executable in Admin mode and double check your firewall settings to make sure ESO is explicitly listed as allowed.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Why should your ISP's problem or one of their peers affect a games rating?  Even if you have no problems with any other online game it doesn't matter.  Unless everyone that plays the game is getting disconnected every 5 mins (and their not) the problem is on your end period.  Figure it out.  I have a friend that when using Time Warner's high speed cable service gets disconnected constantly from WoW.  He gets DSL problem solved.

You will find that in life the solution to problems are not always just what you understand, its usually the exact opposite, its the things in life we don't understand that are causing the problems.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I play almost daily and have none of the issues you describe.

Not saying you arent having issues, but saying the game is unplayable is just wrong. It sounds more like a problem with your ISP than anything to do with ESO.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Routing hops can indeed be an issue.  When I first started playing ffxiv again I had the same issue.  Luckily for me, I have no idea what changed but it went away.