Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not allowed to swear in PFO

RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

So I purchased in PFO just to test the game yesterday and I used the 4 letter word in a Full Loot PVP game, which I deem to be hard-core and was immediately told by players not to curse.

Compared to all other games on the market that I have played no one has said a single thing except in a game I played in my younger days that was specifically a kids game if the 4 letter word was users in a non harassment way directed towards a person for example "I ****ing lost all my loot".

Just thought I would post this here before anyone buys this game as a warning to everyone that this isn't a hard-core pvp game that allows use of swear words, so anyone expecting a game like Dark Fall online where players are political then this is not the game for you.

http://pastebin.com/pK2aSFUV Here is a copy of their terms of service which you can't read until after you sign-up and make an account which actually say no adult content on general chat, however the game to my knowledge does not offer any current way to make a chat channel rated mature or 18+ which is allowed to have such language, nor does the chat have any restriction systems at the moment to prevent users from sending text with curse words, and also in general the (Terms OF Service) itself its appropriate for 13+ and what 13+ year old has not used a foul word their entire life.

My point being this community simply makes a big deal over minor use of the 4 letter word when it has so many meanings, it just might not be the game for a lot of players, In general I don't overly use, or direct hate at other users in online games so never had a problem until now in most every game.

Hopefully the game gets a chat filter on release, or at least gets a rated mature rating, I understand that some parents have family members who do not like to be around extreme fouls because I play with some of them on Team Speak and such but our general rule is not to overly use them.

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Never realized full loot PvP meant you could swear.  Although I do have to say these type of games usually attract the cruder type of MMO players, so there might be something there. Keeping swearing out of chat is a good idea in my opinion. 
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    I applaud them. Maybe finally a community that can be mature instead of "mature". 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

There is sooooooo much you can criticize them for....

but this is not one of those.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Those arffing taffers need to learn to malunky it up and deal with it instead of being so post-chilli about such a minor biffing issue.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by Renoaku

So I purchased in PFO just to test the game yesterday and I used the 4 letter word in a Full Loot PVP game, which I deem to be hard-core and was immediately told by players not to curse.

Compared to all other games on the market that I have played no one has said a single thing except in a game I played in my younger days that was specifically a kids game if the 4 letter word was users in a non harassment way directed towards a person for example "I ****ing lost all my loot".

Just thought I would post this here before anyone buys this game as a warning to everyone that this isn't a hard-core pvp game that allows use of swear words, so anyone expecting a game like Dark Fall online where players are political then this is not the game for you.

I'll also be in the "good for them" camp.

Just because a community doesn't want profanity doesn't make it "not hardcore". 

You can be in a competitive game and not swear. Well, "some people" can be in a competitive game and not swear. I'd love to see more of this.

And for the record, I swear all the time but I usually know my audience and can tone the language down when I deem it necessary.

And actually, there was a time in my life when I worked for a construction company and every word out of my mouth was followed by some profanity. And then one day I actually listened to myself and realized I sounded like an uneducated boob. Fixed that quickly.

I have no issues with profanity but it does tend to "bring the neighborhood down" at times.

so my thought is "you are an adult, just don't use them". It has to be possible right?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    why is so difficult for some people to speak without cursing? as far as i know that doesnt make one more mature.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    why is so difficult for some people to speak without cursing? as far as i know that doesnt make one more mature.

^This

Although you said "speak". It's one thing to utter a bad word while talking...and that can be forgiven or even ignored. It's who you are.

But to "need" to type it just /facepalms me. You "have" to take the time to type out a bad word huh? What are you a child?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

My point being this community simply makes a big deal over minor use of the 4 letter word

You're absolutely right, people shouldn't make a big deal over a silly word. I'm sure in that same vein, you can get by without using any of those words either, right? Great, then stfu.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    LOL hate to tell you if someone was trying to chop me up with a sword, cook me with a spell, or turn me into a pincushion with a bow I'd be cussing like a sailor just saying.
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by psiic
    LOL hate to tell you if someone was trying to chop me up with a sword, cook me with a spell, or turn me into a pincushion with a bow I'd be cussing like a sailor just saying.

Yep...and I'm sure this is your daily schedule right. Wake up and get chopped with a sword, then cooked with a spell, then lunch, then turned into a pin cushion with a bow. Sounds like a normal day at work...

All the while, you have a keyboard to type out curse words while it's happening right?

Yeah....sounds reasonable

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Good job OP, now I want to try the game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MrTinkMrTink Member Posts: 12
    Because full loot is totally Hardcore, and swearing is also totally Hardcore, and I lack the self control needed to filter my language, because I am either 14 years old and just discovered how fun it is to say fuck, or I am a half developed man child with the force of mental will of a lobotomised shrew. 
  • TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

this is pointless and pathetic  your comments prove most of fyou are children and foolish   we have lost are freedoms and this is just dumb topic

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Well actually I just found out today the game isn't actually full loot, but you still loose durability on items equipped, and loose all inventory on death, however still I find it nuts that players take offense over minor use of the birdy word once in awhile in chat it isn't like you are harassing anyone, and a lot of players actually come from mature rated games where players curse even harder, and when a community makes a big deal it might drive players away from the game especially when I only used the bad word a single time all day in chat that I have been on and off of the game.

I agree though a lot of players don't want to hear constant swearing which is perfectly understandable but when more than 5 players get upset over a single word directed towards no one is a bit making the game like Fairyland Online, which is a little kids game with no swearing, or Hello Kitty Online.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

As someone that has maybe cursed a total of two times in the last ten years (and even then it was in a joking tone, whereby people who knew me were surprised by it... quoting and context not included in this), I've been wondering as of late just why language even has "bad" words.  Language is meant to be a medium of expression, and if one is genuinely feeling hotheaded or upset, then "foul" language is a way of expression.  What are "values" when compared to expressive freedom but something people artificially constructed or culturally influenced when it comes to language and the arts?

I don't know, perhaps one has to be raised with such "values" and never partake -- mainly out of habit -- in the "cursing" to see the fallacy of it all -- the sheer hypocrisy of such "naughty" words to even exist.  Many would argue that they don't want the youth to partake in this fashion... but what fashion?  Of expression?  Of thinking for oneself?  What exactly is being hurt or said?  The only thing that comes to mind is a rhetorical and frivolous rule created by society (or the instilled mindset thereof... in addition to the possibility of getting into trouble by an adult, as a youth, for no other reason than just because).  Perhaps it's even a tool to teach cause and effect for the young -- if you say these things (no matter how stupid it sounds), you face the consequences, just how you do in life if you did something wrong or said something insensitive.  People will always oppress you, or employers will always require things of you, even if you don't want to.  I know that I've long since ignored the usage of "curse" words by a counterpart when in a discussion or argument as a sort of invalidity to their stance.  It's become an excuse to dismiss things more oft in today's word than anything else... or whatever meaning it used to have.  Expressive slang, no longer even clinging to the literal translation of the word and therefore not even truly attached to the original meaning of said word (not that said word should be censored to begin with, even if used in the correct fashion and in the appropriate context).

But I guess "values" equate to "oppression" these days.  Or maybe it's always been so.  Irregardless, if they deem it unnecessary and enforce such, then good on them.  It is no doubt an ease of mind for those who still follow such archaic "principles" of forcing others into your mindset.  PFO can play the parent or school all they want.  Feeling mildly insulted by this (the oppression of their rulesets -- which are theirs to make, specifically if this game is meant for children as evidenced of them pandering to a parental demographic who follow these beliefs and/or who do not want their kids to get into trouble by those who do, now seems to dictate), it is a reason for me simply not to partake in their game (despite not cursing myself), especially if the game is actually intended for adults... simply because of the oppressive nature to anyone else who actually might.  In my case, I do not "curse" out of choice.  I'm adult.  I can choose to whensoever I want.  I've a foundation of such, it is a part of who I am now.  But rarely would I ever rebuke another for such; in fact, I invite them to do such if they want.  Friends have oft apologized in front of me because I have stated -- and they know from experience -- that I do not use specific words due to the vast abundance of words in our language.  Though I am quick to reassure them that I just don't care what another individual deems to say or type.  I'd be worse than a grammar tyrant if I did.

Perhaps I'm simply too pragmatic and open minded, taking in values from around the world due to plenty travel as opposed to my simple little society.  Seeing what is taboo in one area -- or where I am from -- and how its common practice in another location.  Knowing that my values aren't the same as others, and that it does not make them savages or "second rate" because of that.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Not that I disagree with better decorum, but enoforcment of such policis in a 'draconian' manner is not really a solution.

I wonder how selctive they will be in this enforcement considering that swearing is quite a normal thing. Its almost cultural from how often we hear it in media, films, music etc. In a ways, those that consume popular culture are 'programmed' with a certain vernacular that makes them unsuitable.

Its a double standard almost on how pop culture is (not saying that is a good thing to swear casually) and how they enofrce it.

Cartoons even have swearing, I mean the ones that are meant for children, but of course not explicit language but still they insult each other.

Maybe the words that are being considered are just key explicit words and not so much the message. So a person could be coy/sarcastic/manipulative/demeaning/condescending/ maybe even bullying but as long as they do not use the trigger words that fall under the radar for punitive action.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Incomparable

Not that I disagree with better decorum, but enoforcment of such policis in a 'draconian' manner is not really a solution.

I wonder how selctive they will be in this enforcement considering that swearing is quite a normal thing. Its almost cultural from how often we hear it in media, films, music etc. In a ways, those that consume popular culture are 'programmed' with a certain vernacular that makes them unsuitable.

Its a double standard almost on how pop culture is (not saying that is a good thing to swear casually) and how they enofrce it.

Cartoons even have swearing, I mean the ones that are meant for children, but of course not explicit language but still they insult each other.

Maybe the words that are being considered are just key explicit words and not so much the message. So a person could be coy/sarcastic/manipulative/demeaning/condescending/ maybe even bullying but as long as they do not use the trigger words that fall under the radar for punitive action.

I am calling BS on the "normal thing".  Perhaps where you hang out.

Parents tell children not to use adult language.   I wonder how many of them thought that meant it was ok to use that when you become an adult?  It is not considered appropriate in a public type of space such as in a video game.

In any case, games usually have rules that you agree to and if that is part of the rules you agree to, you can't complain about it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• rsdanceyrsdancey Member Posts: 106

I do need to make those terms available outside of the download process. I will do that tomorrow - that's useful feedback.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

"Hardcores" don't need to swear - because by definition they are already pro, things just become natural to them through experience and practice.

If you feel the need to swear that means you already fxxked up somehow ;)

I mean, you don't see Mayweather or Pacquiao saying FFS throughout their fights, lol :P

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    What does profanity have to do with hardcore pvp?  Just because you like to use it, doesn't mean it has any basis in hardcore pvp.  Maybe you need to expand your vocabulary to new words that are not profanity, and use those to portray your feelings instead?
  • XxeroxXxerox Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Day 3. I am still laughting when i read the OP post.  A game where kids do not curse , with your or at you, is always favoured by people.
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

Family game, not a surprise. 

You wanna get funky, use private chats.

Filters? I'm sure it will eventually have one, but I hope it's optional. Despite not wanting to have to listen to some foul mouthed punk, most of the filters I've seen take the easy way out and block tons of stuff they shouldn't. In one game a GM had most of his name censored out because of the filter, and in another game, my friend got a ban warning for telling someone, "Ok, wait there. I'll be there in a minute.". We still don't know what was in that message that triggered the warning, but it happened. And when you start mixing filters and multiple languages it just goes down hill.

In general, try to be civil and polite and you'll be ok. Spew out a blue streak and expect to get marginalized and ignored, even if there is no official punishments.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...