Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting Travel / Rift

KayydKayyd Member UncommonPosts: 129
I was listening to some interviews where the Pantheon developers were talking about ways to make travel more interesting by having areas where magic bursts through into the world. When I heard them discussing it I couldn't help but think of Rift. So the obvious question was did it have that effect in Rift, was travel more interesting, and I have to say in my opinion, it did. I couldn't help but look around when I was traveling to see if there were any rifts forming. You never knew where and when a rift would show up. At times there were even Rift storms where the rifts were so dense it made travel kinda difficult. Anyway, I doubt they'd do it in the same way, but I think as a concept it does work and makes travel more interesting.

Comments

• ChrysaorChrysaor Member UncommonPosts: 111

I like how Everquest used druid rings and wizard spires.  It allowed druids and wizards to provide a service, which encouraged interdependence.  I still love porting around on my EQ Druid; no other game has ever produced a similar feeling of power.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Chrysaor

I like how Everquest used druid rings and wizard spires.  It allowed druids and wizards to provide a service, which encouraged interdependence.  I still love porting around on my EQ Druid; no other game has ever produced a similar feeling of power.

I agree.

Disliked when they added ports for everyone. And even tho "real" portals are still a huge plus (not only for succor) the value went down. Still one of my favorite spell lines. Whenever i create a new team in EQ i always try to fit in a druid or wizard :-)

Love it when a class can offer something others REALLY want. Interdependence is so great for a MMORPG. It is the nr 1 reason MMORPGs suck today, no indertependance.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195

Originally posted by Kayyd
    I was listening to some interviews where the Pantheon developers were talking about ways to make travel more interesting by having areas where magic bursts through into the world. When I heard them discussing it I couldn't help but think of Rift. So the obvious question was did it have that effect in Rift, was travel more interesting, and I have to say in my opinion, it did. I couldn't help but look around when I was traveling to see if there were any rifts forming. You never knew where and when a rift would show up. At times there were even Rift storms where the rifts were so dense it made travel kinda difficult. Anyway, I doubt they'd do it in the same way, but I think as a concept it does work and makes travel more interesting.

The way they did it in Rift MMO was something new but sadly extremely repetive and in the end boring. I don't want it inPantheon. However if they include something like that it could work if they have it like a rare event instead (once a week or two (real weeks not ingame) in max 1-2 high level zones) so it doesn't feel so repetive, but I rather prefer not to have it at all. In Rift it felt like they opened up once every 15-30 minutes or so, so it was only fun the first 2-3 times... 

This !!!! :)

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

I like the sound of it on paper, but agree in Rift it became very boring and repetitive after awhile and people just avoided it.

But hey were going to Alpha soon and I'm more than happy to at least give it ago and say how their version plays out, if it works well all good if not, we remove it. 

• KayydKayyd Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by Elmberry
    The way they did it in Rift MMO was something new but sadly extremely repetive and in the end boring. I don't want it inPantheon. However if they include something like that it could work if they have it like a rare event instead (once a week or two (real weeks not ingame) in max 1-2 high level zones) so it doesn't feel so repetive, but I rather prefer not to have it at all. In Rift it felt like they opened up once every 15-30 minutes or so, so it was only fun the first 2-3 times... 

Did you always find it boring and repetitive, or did you find it got that way over time. I never felt that way but i may not have played as long as you did.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

I found Rifts boring from pretty much the beginning.  It just didn't do anything for me.  I'm all for events, but I didn't feel enough of a connection to either the world or the storyline to care about a Rift.  The fact that they existed pretty much immediately didn't help the situation, as that only cheapened the design further.

Call me overly critical, but pretty much everything about Rift felt like another cheap gimmick.  Its only sadder in retrospect because it was one of the earlier adopters of gimmicky gameplay that we've now had to endure for over a decade..  Both of the times I played it I didn't make it further than a few days before I completely lost interest.

Also, not sure how it has anything to do with travel.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

This^^

No fast travel please!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Originally posted by Kayyd
    Originally posted by Elmberry

Did you always find it boring and repetitive, or did you find it got that way over time. I never felt that way but i may not have played as long as you did.

It was boring already from the start more or less and felt very repetive as I had seen something similar in Warhammer Online.

• KayydKayyd Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    Also, not sure how it has anything to do with travel.

I'm doing this from memory and paraphrasing heavily, but in one of the developer chats back during the kickstarter one of the developers talked about ways to make people want to travel over land, and they described a system where planer energy would break into the world randomly to create events. I think the idea was that by creating random events in the world you could make players want to travel over land because the wouldn't want to miss some random event they could participate in.

This instantly reminded me of Rift where rifts would form randomly in the world.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by Tokken

This^^

No fast travel please!

Seeing the sights as you travel the world sounds good while you are soloing.  Not so good when your healer has to leave and its going to take the replacement 45 min to make it out to you.  There has to be some compromise here.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by svann
    Originally posted by Tokken

This^^

No fast travel please!

Seeing the sights as you travel the world sounds good while you are soloing.  Not so good when your healer has to leave and its going to take the replacement 45 min to make it out to you.  There has to be some compromise here.

The compromise is finding a replacement that isn't 45 minutes away, or doing something easier until your healer arrives.  I mean generally speaking, people in a game like this are not generally looking for groups on the opposite side of the world.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

I would like to see something like this too but since class diversity barely exists in today's MMO's they would really be breaking the trend of every class can do everything, which I detest by the way.

• ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236
    edited September 2015

Post edited by ArtificeVenatus on
  • Raidan_EQRaidan_EQ Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Originally posted by ArtificeVenatus
    Originally posted by goboygo

I would like to see something like this too but since class diversity barely exists in today's MMO's they would really be breaking the trend of every class can do everything, which I detest by the way.

Ummm... Not every class will be able to do everything in Pantheon. Classes have roles (ie diversity) and there will be interdependence. 

Pretty sure that's what goboygo meant as he said they (assuming Pantheon Developers) would be breaking the trend of every class can do everything.

• ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236
    edited September 2015

Post edited by ArtificeVenatus on
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Since I didn't hear the interview myself, I'm going to throw a wild guess out there that if they were talking about travel then perhaps these "rifts" were randomly generated portals. You never know when they'll show up or where they'll take you. That would make travel more interesting.
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

I agree, rapid travel across the world should be class specific or highly restricted.

As a side note: I used to consider it a point of honor that I could run from Akkanon to Everfrost to Siren's Grotto to Akeva Ruins without once looking at a map.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

The compromise is finding a replacement that isn't 45 minutes away, or doing something easier until your healer arrives.  I mean generally speaking, people in a game like this are not generally looking for groups on the opposite side of the world.

Someone remember to invite a Summoner to the group image

* I'll confess, I played a Magician in EQ and intend to shamelessly plug for allowing Summoners to call group members from halfway across the world in Pantheon.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by Nightbringe1

Someone remember to invite a Summoner to the group image

* I'll confess, I played a Magician in EQ and intend to shamelessly plug for allowing Summoners to call group members from halfway across the world in Pantheon.

Makes sense. I also feel the resurrections should be the job of the Necromancer :)

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

FFXI did the same sort of thing (it was very much influinced by EQ) Whitemages could teleport you to the crags that were in the world and Blackmages could warp you back to your homepoint.  People would shout in the the main city for paid teleports and after groups finished grinding at camps or after events would have a blackmage warp them back. It was honeslty a great thing because it made you rely on others and you had to move about the world to get to things. Unlike todays games where everyone can warp around and barely have to travel on top of all endgame (which is now considered really the main game nowadays) you sit in one spot and que up for everything into an instance.