Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] ArcheAge: Dread Prophecies Sets Sail & Brings Something for Everyone

Comments

• RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by Keldor837

As a publisher for this game. Trion has only a little bit of leverage into the business model as well as content and mechanics to the game. Please stop ripping on Trion over this. The only thing they can be accused of is either not investigating the business model/practices of XL Games. Or simply not caring enough and publishing the game anyway. As bad as it is, Trion has pulled strings to lessen the blow of XL Games f2p model.

Trion screwed up, but the ones deserving of your anger is XL Games.

Total bullshit...who decided to get rid of the afk timer? Who makes people have to buy shit on their cash shop to compete with others? Who decides what % of RNG will be a winner? Who decided that bridge blocking with carts was "emergent gameplay"? Who let slip upcoming game mechanics to their guild before it was released? Who decided to release full content in bits and pieces in order to nickel and dime their players? Who continues to fuck up the economy by trying to artificially control it? There's a lot of reasons to hate Trion and their "It's XL Games, not ours" attitude and excuses...the game is a fucked up example of what not to do in an MMO and Trion is responsible for a lot of it.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by ceratop001
    This review was brought to you by Trion Worlds...

It's not a review. It's a Preview of the content that came in the update.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by zaberfangx
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Originally posted by Charlie.Cheswick

Too bad this game has such a fucked up way of monetizing gameplay/content.

Would have been a helluva good sub only game.

Agreed, so much potential destroyed by idiocy and greed. This game could have made so much more money as a sub game without pay to win.

Name a few sub games doing good? as sub, pass last year trying to make it didn't get the player base they needed to keep it's going.

WoW and FFXIV?

• RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by mcrippins

Agreed, so much potential destroyed by idiocy and greed. This game could have made so much more money as a sub game without pay to win.

Name a few sub games doing good? as sub, pass last year trying to make it didn't get the player base they needed to keep it's going.

WoW and FFXIV?

..and very soon, Camelot Unchained.

Originally posted by DMKano

WoW and FFXIV?

Both have cash shops - I think he meant name a sub only game (no cash shop period) that is doing well

I actually just started playing FFXIV again. Haven't played since launch. It's actually really fun, and I haven't seen a single mention of a cash shop anywhere in game. Not saying it doesn't have one, but I honestly can't find it. lol..

The gold spammers are annoying though.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

WoW and FFXIV?

WoW and FFXIV didn't come out last pass year, wildstar and eso did, in how much money they drop in to the games, still didn't get there player base needed, any new sub mmo that come out will have there work cut out, even the mmo thats is new come out good or not,  people in general will called a game bad befor even other people can even try it, with even a free trail it's not going cut it, as it need to be play fully to out way the hate of the general players, as is not wow idea and ff14 idea is bad in general how people think, but the big cost to get in to the game to play a few months it's not going cut it to get people in.

But even if arche age came out with a sub server,  look at allods online they have a sub server over there free to play, no cash shop no play to win, and pvp all the stuff people want but still complaining at, pretty much a ghost town.

WoW and FFXIV?

WoW and FFXIV didn't come out last pass year, wildstar and eso did, in how much money they drop in to the games, still didn't get there player base needed, any new sub mmo that come out will have there work cut out, even the mmo thats is new come out good or not,  people in general will called a game bad befor even other people can even try it, with even a free trail it's not going cut it, as it need to be play fully to out way the hate of the general players, as is not wow idea and ff14 idea is bad in general how people think, but the big cost to get in to the game to play a few months it's not going cut it to get people in.

But even if arche age came out with a sub server,  look at allods online they have a sub server over there free to play, no cash shop no play to win, and pvp all the stuff people want but still complaining at, pretty much a ghost town.

The difference is that Archeage is actually a AAA mmo. Its design mechanics are based around having a subscription. When I originally started following AA during Korean beta days - it had a subscription, but it didn't do well in KR. So they decided to go f2p, and then made changes based upon this model. This also upset a ton of players in KR. There was a pretty big outrage when they read the patch notes. Has XL tried hard to recover from this? Absolutely. Are they making positive changes? Sure. The cash shop is terrible though.  It's literally an outlet to advance monetarily, which allows you to advance in items. 

Some people are fine with this. I'm not. Many others are not. This is why so many people are angry. I know this has been iterated so much, but it's an important thing to remember. Trion/XL could do good for these players by opening a cash shop free/sub server. Chances are they'd need to open 10 more, as a lot of players would come back. Just my 2 cents.

• RegnorRegnor Member UncommonPosts: 112

There is a reason there is this much hate directed at ArcheAge. I know, because I have been there since Alpha and have played it to death, conquering just about every goal I set in the game before my wife and I quit in disgust at the money-sucking, good-for-nothing companies that run the game. The game has so much potential to be great. It is beautiful, full featured and incredibly satisfying to play. But new players are locked out forever from the land grab, the economy is in free fall due to the unbelievable number of exploits and hacks that originated because of the Korean design (Korea requires RL ID to play so there are no anonymous players and hacking has lifetime consequences, which means you can put things in the client software that would NEVER be put in a Western MMO).

The game is dead. The servers are dying and the last gasp of life will come when they announce the inevitable server merges that will forever screw everyone who worked so hard to obtain their precious land. And what does the company have to offer now? New ship skins! More marketplace items to buy!

RIP

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

WoW and FFXIV?

The difference is that Archeage is actually a AAA mmo. Its design mechanics are based around having a subscription. When I originally started following AA during Korean beta days - it had a subscription, but it didn't do well in KR. So they decided to go f2p, and then made changes based upon this model. This also upset a ton of players in KR. There was a pretty big outrage when they read the patch notes. Has XL tried hard to recover from this? Absolutely. Are they making positive changes? Sure. The cash shop is terrible though.  It's literally an outlet to advance monetarily, which allows you to advance in items. 

Some people are fine with this. I'm not. Many others are not. This is why so many people are angry. I know this has been iterated so much, but it's an important thing to remember. Trion/XL could do good for these players by opening a cash shop free/sub server. Chances are they'd need to open 10 more, as a lot of players would come back. Just my 2 cents.

If they ever did a sub server it got to out way the cost if keeping it going by it self, meaning they have to take cash shop in put in to the game as drop or on a grind, to keep people going for something thats a lot work, then if not why move from one game if it offer better items in the f2p, and then if only 1000 will come to play how long will take time befor they get fed up on something not to long in the game.

Right now arche age will not do so hot as sub not cuz trion or xlgame mess up with the game, just in general how the game is. just be a long time that we will see a another new sub games in the market with out going free to pay or buy to play with in a year, or closing down.

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305

It seems to me that most comments so far are by folks who don't even play ArcheAge and have not even installed todays patch.

For those that actually play - this is what most of us have been waiting for since Alpha as this the first half of 1.7

I did something today I haven't done since launch - I logged my characters out (2 accounts) - patron offline regen at 10 yes please!

Why must you white knight every Archeage post? Obviously a lot people do not like "f2p" p2w model. Despite some people still playing, it could have been a lot better.

• Veexer_NuiVeexer_Nui Member UncommonPosts: 268

Dread Prophecies Sets Sale*

Archeage EU - Nui

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Definite improvement. Making it rain labor on patrons.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Originally posted by Keldor837

As a publisher for this game. Trion has only a little bit of leverage into the business model as well as content and mechanics to the game. Please stop ripping on Trion over this. The only thing they can be accused of is either not investigating the business model/practices of XL Games. Or simply not caring enough and publishing the game anyway. As bad as it is, Trion has pulled strings to lessen the blow of XL Games f2p model.

Trion screwed up, but the ones deserving of your anger is XL Games.

So they get money for playing the victim. Proven method and it works.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by maybebaked

It seems to me that most comments so far are by folks who don't even play ArcheAge and have not even installed todays patch.

For those that actually play - this is what most of us have been waiting for since Alpha as this the first half of 1.7

I did something today I haven't done since launch - I logged my characters out (2 accounts) - patron offline regen at 10 yes please!

Why must you white knight every Archeage post? Obviously a lot people do not like "f2p" p2w model. Despite some people still playing, it could have been a lot better.

I am here to actually *discuss* the features and content of the new patch - 90% of the posts here have zero to do with this and are stuck in the same old "p2w hate on Trion and XL" mode.

That's not white knighting - this is just pointing out facts - look at this entire thread - look at all the responses - how many of them are actually bringing up ANYTHING related to the content and features of the new patch?

Here's the full patch notes - yeah it's just "new skins" and "new cash shop items" /rollseyes

Sorry, all I saw was, "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"

Joined - July 2004

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Exactly my thoughts, the monetization of this game is ridiculous and borders on P2W. Such a shame as otherwise it seems like an interesting game. 

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

Great potential, nice features, total disaster.

Gameplay looks like it is getting to what is should have been at release last year. Too bad its still filled with hackers and bots, which will come back if more people come back. Only reason why people think they 'fixed' them is because many left because the populations died.

Sad that the game is run the way it is. Some great features wasted on a game no one wants to play because it costs too much money.

• runedragonrunedragon Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Would love to try archeage again but they are even unable to respond to a support ticket posted 5 days ago.... Shot themselves in the foot again..  Another job well done trion
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    lol, this thread was custom made to bring out the haters of the game.  There is very little middle ground for most ppl when it comes to AA.

I self identify as a monkey.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

Taking a good look at this post, it appears that to play AA without paying a ton in the cash shop, you can instead run a machine 24/7 for months.  If you don't have spare machines to just gather AA labor points, then forget it.

Weird.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Originally posted by olepi

Taking a good look at this post, it appears that to play AA without paying a ton in the cash shop, you can instead run a machine 24/7 for months.  If you don't have spare machines to just gather AA labor points, then forget it.

Weird.

Is like any mmo you have 2 accounts to max out how much gold or item you can get, I use to do this in wow, have 2 sometimes 3 to max out my gold to over pass need for gold to get things.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

I pray for the day that moderators start moderating these threads to stay on topic. EVERY damn AA thread is instantly derailed by the EXACT same discussion of hate and misinformation. This is doing a huge disservice to the players whom actually still play and are looking to actually discuss changes to the game. Bringing up the same points (p2W,hacks,bots,cash shop, etc) in every thread isn't contributing anything to the topic at hand.

WE GET IT YOU HATE THE GAME! We also get it that you stopped paying attention long ago so you have nothing to contribute!

For the love of god MMORPG.com please do what other forums do and moderate your topics, especially since this was an article created by your staff which was instantly derailed by the same ol' group of grumpy haters!

In regards to 1.7, this patch is a game changer for AA. If there was ever a time to give AA a chance again, this is it. Don't be a sheep, don't let the uninformed haters control your decisions. Think for yourself, be open to the fact that things can and have gotten better. Or you can just keep on hating while you endlessly search for your next MMO while the best MMO to grace us in over 10 years is right in front of you and the only thing keeping you from it is your pride.

In this case Trion deserves praise for a great/smooth patch release! GG Trion!

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by crysent
    They must be making money off some suckered or they wouldn't keep pulling this crap. I wouldn't touch this game, which represents the epitome of greed in the mmo world.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

It certainly seems like the game's Reddit fans are happy with this... has me curious to dip back in as well.

http://www.reddit.com/r/archeage/comments/348olu/give_it_up_for_trion_best_patch_yet/

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Originally posted by olepi

Weird.

Is like any mmo you have 2 accounts to max out how much gold or item you can get, I use to do this in wow, have 2 sometimes 3 to max out my gold to over pass need for gold to get things.

No, in this case, you earn Labor Points when you are logged in (unless you pay $), so this poster had a machine on 24/7 logged in for months to get around the limitation. Ordinary players can't do this, so they either pay money, or suffer.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298

Hilarious!

You're actually paying for a game to be AFK! Keep on playing then, i for one stopped.