Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTF would anyone give McQuaid more money for a game?

RegnorRegnor Member UncommonPosts: 112

The man has a horrible track record of failure and mismanagement. He abandoned his Vanguard team, laying them off without the courtesy of even showing up to see them in the parking lot where they were given their pink slips. He is a child man who would never see money from any reputable source. So along comes crowd sourcing and the suckers come out of the woodwork, reading the design docs and thinking "Wow, this is neat!".

Good luck with that.

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comments

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Originally posted by Regnor

The man has a horrible track record of failure and mismanagement. He abandoned his Vanguard team, laying them off without the courtesy of even showing up to see them in the parking lot where they were given their pink slips. He is a child man who would never see money from any reputable source. So along comes crowd sourcing and the suckers come out of the woodwork, reading the design docs and thinking "Wow, this is neat!".

Good luck with that.

why would you feel some excessive compulsion to come and post this thread, like he killed your dog or something, honestly if people like what they see in pantheon and want to support it... go for it i say, it's not your money or time..

so why do you care.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

That's precisely why it's had a hard time funding so far.  Even with those problems, some people think that if he can deliver on his promises it could be the best game out in the last 10 years.  Which is why the game has a lot of hype, but very little $ backing.

Even with all of it's flaws, vanguard was 10x a better thought out game than EQ2.  If SOE had dumped as much money into vanguard as they did into eq and eq2, it could have been a different genre that we see today.

Thus I, like many others, are taking a cautiously optimistic approach to the game.  I'll put my money where my mouth is once I've seen a playable game worth my money.

• LunsheaLunshea Member UncommonPosts: 59

Good luck with that.

If  the EQ1 and Vanguard style of mmos is your thing, there really aren't any other alternatives. In spite of countless bugs and poor execution, Vanguard still is the most immersive and breathtaking mmo gaming experience I've ever had. If Pantheon some day can just give a little bit of that back to me, I couldn't care less about how a guy handled layoffs on a dark day many years ago.   

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    The kickstarter was a huge failure and everything since then has been a laughable mess. The market has spoken and the game is dead.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Originally posted by Jacobin
    The kickstarter was a huge failure and everything since then has been a laughable mess. The market has spoken and the game is dead.

game is far from dead, constant updates on social media...

just ported the game to unity 5 engine to continue developement on latest tools

aquisition of higher rez textures / better models etc...

zones completing with video walkthroughs...

the game is moving forward albeit at a slower pace then probably an AAA mmo, but that being said a new web developer is being hired to redesign the website and everything seems to be on track.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

i only funded shroud of the avatar and gloria victus and ill see how it goes,

SOTA looks on track i dont know about GV.

i dont trust crowd funding too mush and you must wait 2years before the game is finished,i am not going to finish a half polished game.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
  • maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Dullahan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywzMyvtuC6Y

Looks alive to me.

Even their website looks like it's from 2001. Did you actually give them money?

Its throwback.  Get with the program.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by mbrodie
    Originally posted by Jacobin

game is far from dead, constant updates on social media...

just ported the game to unity 5 engine to continue developement on latest tools

aquisition of higher rez textures / better models etc...

zones completing with video walkthroughs...

the game is moving forward albeit at a slower pace then probably an AAA mmo, but that being said a new web developer is being hired to redesign the website and everything seems to be on track.

I actually think the progress that they have made has been amazing, especially considering their team size and whatnot.

I like the look of what they have shown so far a lot.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by maybebaked
    Originally posted by Dullahan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywzMyvtuC6Y

Looks alive to me.

Even their website looks like it's from 2001. Did you actually give them money?

Coming to the forum of a small team independent game and attacking them on their current website, while ignoring all the actual progress they have made, is pretty trollish.

Just an update, this week they've been trying to get the new site up and a video which I believe will give us a first look at Pantheon in Unity 5.  Hopefully more to come shortly.  Until then enjoy the retro site for a retro game.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Why does this type of thread bashing McQuaid keep coming up like clockwork ? Is someone so mad they're using alt accounts to start this topics only to have amana lock them. Look this topic has been discussed and done to death now just wait for the game not come up regularly to bash the man. If the game fails then you can post something meanwhile stop attacking him on his past mistakes.

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Originally posted by kitarad
    Why does this type of thread bashing McQuaid keep coming up like clockwork ? Is someone so mad they're using alt accounts to start this topics only to have amana lock them. Look this topic has been discussed and done to death now just wait for the game not come up regularly to bash the man. If the game fails then you can post something meanwhile stop attacking him on his past mistakes.

There's a lot of lonely people out there and the only thing they have in their lives is hate. Pretty sad.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Vutar
    Because the alternative is having guys like that idiot Smedley making games...

At least Smedley actually makes games that work. McQuaid is about as close to scam artist as possible without actually being one.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Here we go again.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    LOL I wouldn't trust smed or McQuaid enough to give them money. I admit they very well can have some interesting ideas but the trust after that isn't there.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by f0dell54
    Originally posted by Vutar
    Because the alternative is having guys like that idiot Smedley making games...

At least Smedley actually makes games that work. McQuaid is about as close to scam artist as possible without actually being one.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Smedley (SOE) was publishing, not development. The good games that SOE had were create by McQuaid and whatever team he had at the time (EQ, Vanguard). The reason Vanguard had such a terrible launch is because SOE forced McQuaid and his team to get what they could get ASAP. They didn't care about a finished game, they only cared about getting subscribers in.

I'm not going to say McQuaid is good with money, and I don't put to much into media bias. I do know I like his ideas and his capabilities. I know it takes a LOT to create an MMO. I haven't given them any money, but I am a programmer and modeler so if they wanted some free help in that department, I would be glad to pitch in.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Because i am not buying Brads virginity, but a game i like.

I could not care less about who makes it, if i enjoy it. And sadly Brad is the only one that actually has the guts to make a game that is not mainstream, ftp, easymode crap.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• yilayila Member UncommonPosts: 29

Did he make mistakes?  obviously yes.   Is his game  more of a beacon of light for old EQ and Vanguard vets than EQ next?  also obviously yes. 

Its like this,  we may not like how things went down with Sigil/Sony but the reality is Pantheon is offering EVERYTHING us old players have been wanting for a long time.  With Everquest next looking like it may never happen,  this game is seriously the next best thing down the pipe catering to a SpEcific type of player we have been wanting since Everquest and Vanguard Beta.   

I understand peoples anger towards the guy but the past is the past and I don't see anyone else catering to old Eq/Vanguard vets so he gets my money. 

Hate the guy for what he has done but respect him for the vision he has and determined to keep moving forward.  SO GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON FFS!

#BRADHATERS4life

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284

Good luck with that.

Everquest...... 

This discussion has been closed.