Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam removes paid mods after community backlash.

BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425
"We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing," Valve said in a community update. "We've been shipping many features over the years aimed at allowing community creators to receive a share of the rewards, and in the past, they've been received well. It's obvious now that this case is different."

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

They knew exactly what they were doing. Trying to take 75%. Is it any wonder that there was a huge community backlash?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

The question is, why has the gaming community allowed other shitty practices to prevail when we are the ones holding all the power?

Excessive DLC

Pre-order bonuses

Early Access

Shipping buggy/unstable/feature incomplete games

Our money speaks the loudest, and yet we've let these practices take over the gaming scene.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Hyanmen
    The question is, why has the gaming community allowed other shitty practices to prevail when we are the ones holding all the power?Excessive DLCPre-order bonusesEarly AccessShipping buggy/unstable/feature incomplete games Our money speaks the loudest, and yet we've let these practices take over the gaming scene.

I think some of those practices will eventually be rejected.

• BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Originally posted by Foomerang

The question is, why has the gaming community allowed other shitty practices to prevail when we are the ones holding all the power?

Excessive DLC

Pre-order bonuses

Early Access

Our money speaks the loudest, and yet we've let these practices take over the gaming scene.

I think some of those practices will eventually be rejected.

That ship has sailed.

People still pre-order although digital games can not run out. The whole point of pre-ordering is gone with digital distribution yet people are stupid enough to still do it and the complain about buggy release, non working network features, server outages and whatever else happens with EVERY single game released these days. 

People seriously defend pre-ordering because they get a couple of worthless digital items.

They say the discount is a reason too when they could just wait until the bugs are fixed which usually takes 2-3 Months and then buy the game for at least 20% off if not more.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Nilden

They knew exactly what they were doing. Trying to take 75%. Is it any wonder that there was a huge community backlash?

actually steam as far as i found out was only going to take 30%... then what ever was left after that Bethesda (#cantspelltosavemylife) decided that they wanted 75%... So in reality it was 25% of 70%... 

But hey... Keep being angry. It is good for your health. 

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by tawess

actually steam as far as i found out was only going to take 30%... then what ever was left after that Bethesda (#cantspelltosavemylife) decided that they wanted 75%... So in reality it was 25% of 70%... 

Got an official link?

Got an official link?

Nope.. Do you? Because i have been unable to find a direct one that supports your side.. And i am at this point not invested enough to keep digging. 

But seeing how steam take 30% on everything else... It sounds about right that they should take 30% here too.. Then it get murky.. 

• StoevixStoevix Member UncommonPosts: 37

Chances are there would have been less backlash if they took less of a share. If they done something like 80% to the maker of the mod and steam gets 20%.  Maybe they would have got far less of a backlash about it.

Steam trying to take 75% of the cut reminds me of this..

Originally posted by 2kbandit

Chances are there would have been less backlash if they took less of a share. If they done something like 80% to the maker of the mod and steam gets 20%.  Maybe they would have got far less of a backlash about it.

Steam trying to take 75% of the cut reminds me of this..

And you think that the publisher of the game would settle for 0%... 

I might have posted an official link in this thread.

"The percentage of revenue an item creator receives from direct sales of their item in this Workshop is 25%, as stipulated in the Supplemental Workshop Terms. Your individual share may be smaller if you have added other contributors that share in the royalty payments."

Offical Steam link.

But hey feel free to defend this all you want with nothing to back it up.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

"The percentage of revenue an item creator receives from direct sales of their item in this Workshop is 25%, as stipulated in the Supplemental Workshop Terms. Your individual share may be smaller if you have added other contributors that share in the royalty payments."

Offical Steam link.

Valve/Steam has balls that clank, trying to pull this nonsense. 

Joined - July 2004

• dalewjdalewj Member UncommonPosts: 94

25% to the creator these days is about normal. Im an author and 25% is a good day. in this world of housed products you have to expect no more then 30%, that's how these company's make money (I know its a terrible thing that someone makes money)

HomePage/Gaming Blog - http://dalewj.com . MMORPGer - Current game: http://AfterWorld.ru .
    Author of Diaries of Afterworld- http://www.jconsult.com/afterworld and the Outside Sci-Fi series- http://www.jconsult.com/outside

• ezjay1975ezjay1975 Member UncommonPosts: 131

Offical Steam link.

I missed where this says anything about Steam getting 75%

Originally posted by dalewj

25% to the creator these days is about normal. Im an author and 25% is a good day. in this world of housed products you have to expect no more then 30%, that's how these company's make money (I know its a terrible thing that someone makes money)

Yes a book author gets 15-25% on a good day but you also do not have to proof read, translate, create covers, print the book, market the book, ship the book, process payments and pay all your employees doing the aforementioned.

But in this case Steam and Bethesda provided NOTHING. Steam added a button. Both Steam and Bethesda officially announced to be completely hands-off, no quality control, no responsibility!

They have payment processing fees, which are around 5% not 30% and Bethesda is doing jack shit and bags 45%.

Originally posted by ezjay1975

Offical Steam link.

Steam gets 30%. It's their standard fee. You can write a mail to steam and ask them. This is already well known since everyone can just approach Steam and ask about it.

I might have posted an official link in this thread.

"The percentage of revenue an item creator receives from direct sales of their item in this Workshop is 25%, as stipulated in the Supplemental Workshop Terms. Your individual share may be smaller if you have added other contributors that share in the royalty payments."

Offical Steam link.

Ok... 

As per the page linked, the developer/publisher of the game set the % that you (as in the modder) will get. In this case 25%. Now let´s assume that steam takes it´s usual 30% cut to cover operating costs and make a buck of the transaction. That would leave the game company with 45%... 

Now that is the best case scenario... Mine described above was the worst case scenario. 

Either way... steam does not get 75% and none of your links even come close to proving that. 

((For a qoute on the steam 30% listen to the MWO Townhall podcast over at No Guts No Galaxy where lead developer over at Pirahna games talk about going to steam))

Offical Steam link.

Ok I'll clear this all up. Here this gamespot article got it.

"Another issue some have brought up with Steam's new paid mod system is that creators aren't paid enough. Bethesda has now confirmed the revenue sharing setup: Valve gets a 30 percent, Bethesda gets 45 percent, and modders get the remaining 25 percent."

They get 75% the modders get 25%. I'm glad they killed it.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

with internet, paypal, and being a little savy you could cut the middle man and sell it yourself getting a lot more on your things and also selling it cheaper then the company taking 75% of your product / service.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

Offical Steam link.

"Another issue some have brought up with Steam's new paid mod system is that creators aren't paid enough. Bethesda has now confirmed the revenue sharing setup: Valve gets a 30 percent, Bethesda gets 45 percent, and modders get the remaining 25 percent."

So in short.. you took tone with me... Saying i had nothing... only to turn around and try to post my argument as your own cause... Priceless. 

Offical Steam link.

So in short.. you took tone with me... Saying i had nothing... only to turn around and try to post my argument as your own cause... Priceless. 

Took tone? Ok sure buddy.

I still think it's total BS for them to take 75% and the modders 25%.I thought you were defending that crap. My misstake.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

with internet, paypal, and being a little savy you could cut the middle man and sell it yourself getting a lot more on your things and also selling it cheaper then the company taking 75% of your product / service.

Go on, try it.

How many days do you think it will be before Bethesda's legal team send you the first polite letter ?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Excessive DLC

Pre-order bonuses

Early Access

did you ever consider that the reason they exist is because people actually do want them? the gaming community is not just vocal people on the forums who don't like them.

There was an article some time back about a developer who decided to add a cash shop to their game. The forums were awash with rage. However, the noticed that it was a small minority of their player base.

Yadda, yadda, yadda, the implemented it, it was successful and a good amount of the naysayers were some of the most avid users.

Using any forum as a barometer for the gaming community is never good.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

Go on, try it.

How many days do you think it will be before Bethesda's legal team send you the first polite letter ?

ah now is only bethesda? so how many polite letter you get from making mods to skyrim anyway?

though teh discution here was the whole steam trying to amke people pay for mods, not lets just sell mods to skyrim and hope they will not try to do it for otehr games later

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Excessive DLC

Pre-order bonuses

Early Access

Oh, the irony !

Our money does indeed speak the loudest, that's WHY all these practices have taken over the gaming scene.

For every forum rant posted, there's 1000's of gamers rushing out to buy early access, founders packs and pre-order limited offers...

Nilden you said "But hey feel free to defend this all you want with nothing to back it up." only to present the exact same thing i said that made you post that... I´d call that taking tone yes... 

But yes i support this 30/45/25 split because that is how reality works... Hench why many people today try the hand a self-publishing. 

Nobody likes to work for free after all.