Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Viable to play without companion?

MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182

I played during launch and about two months in until I completed the story on both Sith and Jedi. During this time I almost never felt like I was a bad-ass Sith or a power Jedi due to the necessity of having to use companions in battle. 

Is this still the same? Is there any way to play solo without having to use companions and still feel like I'm not some new recruit fighting titans? Much like the beginner zones, before recieving your first companion, thats sort how I would like things to feel later on.

Comments

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404

companions is just a tool to help you.

nobody can say if they are necessary or not. its all up to your gameplay skills.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I never tried (except for the times I was forced to manage without one due to the companion being stuck) but I imagine it's possible.

Of course you will be giving yourself a handicap by running solo, and you're probably better off doing it on a class that packs some serious AoE damage.

I'd also advice going Biochem if you are doing it. And adding augments to your gear will also increase your survivability.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182

Thanks for the responses, I was afraid of that. The thing is, I do want to play Sith/Jedi without almost being beaten to death by every single group of trash mobs. Sure, I could probably be a couple levels above the area I'm in but that doesn't feel like a solution.

I guess it's not for me.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Madatan

I played during launch and about two months in until I completed the story on both Sith and Jedi. During this time I almost never felt like I was a bad-ass Sith or a power Jedi due to the necessity of having to use companions in battle. 

Is this still the same? Is there any way to play solo without having to use companions and still feel like I'm not some new recruit fighting titans? Much like the beginner zones, before recieving your first companion, thats sort how I would like things to feel later on.

You could 100 percent play with out a companion. One way would not be like most of the anti social people that play mmos, and group with some one. The game is also hardcore item based, so if you pvp your way up through the lvls instead of doing the side missions, you would be able to solo them. I use my companion cause I find her funny, but I def dont need her. I started up again, and on a new server like 3 days ago, and I can solo the balmora planet stuff. I skipped all the side missions on DK, and made it to 19 PVPing. The rest of the stuff you would need a group for anyways so. 

I think what your looking for is SWTKOR, single player. 

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Originally posted by makasouleater69

You could 100 percent play with out a companion. One way would not be like most of the anti social people that play mmos, and group with some one. The game is also hardcore item based, so if you pvp your way up through the lvls instead of doing the side missions, you would be able to solo them. I use my companion cause I find her funny, but I def dont need her. I started up again, and on a new server like 3 days ago, and I can solo the balmora planet stuff. I skipped all the side missions on DK, and made it to 19 PVPing. The rest of the stuff you would need a group for anyways so. 

I do group up for flashpoints and I play pvp but I enjoy playing the quests by myself, getting the most out of both story and group content. I will look into getting better gear then, maybe worth it after all.

Thanks!

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

On KOTOR you actually had more than one companion. :P

Like on most Bioware RPGs.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

On KOTOR you actually had more than one companion. :P

Like on most Bioware RPGs.

Yeah but you def could solo everything, at least I did. 

I do group up for flashpoints and I play pvp but I enjoy playing the quests by myself, getting the most out of both story and group content. I will look into getting better gear then, maybe worth it after all.

Thanks!

I cant say it will work for high level content. I haven't made it to the 50s yet, but I would assume you would be fine with high pvp gear. 

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

To the OP, you will never be able to solo everything. Champions, Elites or a few of lieutenants are going to crush you without a healer companion and the higher level you are, the more there is of these around. But soloing the class story might be possible for most classes.

Anyway­, my best guess:

Take Biochem and friends (aka Diplomacy and Bioanalyse), make reusable medpack/stims or buy them on the GTN from others (you need biochem at the right level to use the reusable). Always keep the highest medpack possible for your level, you'll need it.

Class-wise:

I personally think the best is a Shadow/Assassin Tank. They come with a in-combat stealth that allow you to lose all aggro and stealth when in BIG trouble. You can also stealth past mobs when travelling around which is super handy and have like 4 different CC abilities.

Scoundrel/Operative could also be interesting because they can self-heal, have a bunch of CC and stealth, but a lot of their best damage ability are situational and harder to pull off solo.

The other two tanking spec might also work, but they don't have stealth and I don't have much playtime with them to comment.

Avoid the Marauder and Sentinel like the pest that much I can say. I haven't played much Sniper/Gunslinger, Sage/Sorcerer and Commando/Bodyguard to comment on them though.