Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Daybreak's Shiny New Logo & Website

Comments

• FeonixoFeonixo Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I would just like to say... the logo stinks. Whoever was in charge of rebranding is clueless, this thing is way off the mark. As long as they keep the momentum up on some games I don't care, and what has happened to EQN? They are putting a lot of effort into EQ1 and EQ2 lately, it seems strange to me that there has been no mention of EQN for a while.. I am over waiting for it anyway.

• RehtReht Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I wouldn't exactly say they are putting a lot of effort into EQ1, i can't really speak on EQ2.  We had our smallest expansion to date with content cut of it before release.   EQ1 is not in a good place in regards to its future right now.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    They'll probably end up down in mexico.  Did Smed leave yet?  Can't imagine he is too fond of having to move after being there forever.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    I find it interesting that EQN is not in the live stream list.  We will have to see what happens.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • Salimus78Salimus78 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    For the love of god... no one cares about landmark. The little interest in that game was only as a peephole into everquest next. Put out a poll daybreak... no one wants you wasting time on that game any longer. In my mind that was the possible silver lining of the acquisition: that they might push along eqn.
  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Daybreak will eventually find a home in China & will be staffed with nothing but underage child laborers whose main focus will be redesigning EQN.

Can't wait!
    -Chuckles
  • MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223

Personally i like the logo and dont have any trouble with some company in somewhere over someland. As long as they bring good stuff i dont mind. Its not courteous to mutilate some company"s reputation based on shallow hatred and rage while looking around doesnt help to find a decent producer anyhow. And hey everybody deserves a good start while people like Garriott swims in a warm cashpool of castles.

beLIEve

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013
    Originally posted by Torval

They've moved the auth servers for their base domain, but haven't moved the auth servers or the forums from the Sony domain yet, at least not for EQ2.

I like the logo as much as any other company which is to say I don't really care.

Curious why they're moving out of San Diego. I also wonder what the next location would be. If I worked for them my vote would be Seattle. It's a beautiful city.

Maybe to a place with better rent?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

no EQN stream? interesting.....

vaporware.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

It's an Eye...

No wait it's a sun...

No wait it's a gear....

No... it's a Sun Inside another sun- Yeah, that's it!

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Some gilding of the lily in Smedley's letter:

• the launch of H1Z1 - that was SoE, a company with twice the staff etc.
    • introduced the world to mmos with EQ1; seriously? 

Meh, I would argue that EQ1 is the MMO that introduced MMOs to the world. Sure, it's not the first and WoW made MMOs completely mainstream but EQ1 was the first MMO that was really popular.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

The logo is awesome (the eye and the Daybreak part). The "game company" part is not needed. Kinda lame looking too.

Didn't see the website though

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• lwgt12lwgt12 Member Posts: 30
    The red color makes me feel uncomfortable.
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Good question would be...why are we talking about anything other than the logo or website? Why do I still see the same stale crap about what they do or where they will go? Not the subject...so leave your crap on your own front door and talk about the topic.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Daybreak, poised and ready to fail.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    here we go ... ; https://www.daybreakgames.com/daybreakcash

And this is a shock because...? All of their games have shops and a couple are F2P. Why is this a surprise?

Prices are the same as SOE's Station Cash. Don't see the real issue there...

On topic, I don't like the logo. As said before, it looks pretty aggressive.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I am curious to see where this will lead. They might do a Blizzard and adopt the "it is done when it is done" attitude (for future projects, the ones that are in the wild are in the wild) or they might end up even more top ridden. All i know is that they made some good things with DCUO (even if the endgame part of the game is kind of borked) and that i really want t like PS2 but my framereate is way to low for twitch shooters.

All in all i am actually willing to give them a blank slate, to see what they will do with it.   

This have been a good conversation

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by tawess

I am curious to see where this will lead. They might do a Blizzard and adopt the "it is done when it is done" attitude (for future projects, the ones that are in the wild are in the wild) or they might end up even more top ridden. All i know is that they made some good things with DCUO (even if the endgame part of the game is kind of borked) and that i really want t like PS2 but my framereate is way to low for twitch shooters.

All in all i am actually willing to give them a blank slate, to see what they will do with it.   

You might want to go and take a look at: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-04-27-daybreak-wakes-up-to-life-after-sony

"We can now explore things at an earlier stage that wouldn't have made as much sense at Sony," Smedley said. "For instance, we're very excited about VR. We're going to try to integrate that into as many games as we can."

"I firmly believe the days of the WoW-style MMO are over," Smedley said. "And that means we have to change with the times. Luckily, we were kind of early on that bus as opposed to late. But we're changing what we're making. Look at H1Z1. Is it an MMO? Sure, by definition, but I would consider it a session-based online game with a lot of people. And I say that because the average life expectancy in H1Z1 might be 45 minutes, and that's what today's gamers want. How many people do you still know that are still raiding in WoW every night, or EverQuest and EverQuest II? It's just the time commitment necessary has changed so much. That means we need to change with the times, and we are. So we're getting interested in a broader array of games and gaming styles."

There is a lot of talk about the X box and PS4 there too, looks to me like that is the direction for DBG in the future.  As to EQNot!, not a single mention.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by craftseeker

You might want to go and take a look at: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-04-27-daybreak-wakes-up-to-life-after-sony

"We can now explore things at an earlier stage that wouldn't have made as much sense at Sony," Smedley said. "For instance, we're very excited about VR. We're going to try to integrate that into as many games as we can."

"I firmly believe the days of the WoW-style MMO are over," Smedley said. "And that means we have to change with the times. Luckily, we were kind of early on that bus as opposed to late. But we're changing what we're making. Look at H1Z1. Is it an MMO? Sure, by definition, but I would consider it a session-based online game with a lot of people. And I say that because the average life expectancy in H1Z1 might be 45 minutes, and that's what today's gamers want. How many people do you still know that are still raiding in WoW every night, or EverQuest and EverQuest II? It's just the time commitment necessary has changed so much. That means we need to change with the times, and we are. So we're getting interested in a broader array of games and gaming styles."

There is a lot of talk about the X box and PS4 there too, looks to me like that is the direction for DBG in the future.  As to EQNot!, not a single mention.

I care little for words... Especially PR words... I am curious about what actions they will take.. Also i really fail to see how your red highlights are relevant... I was just musing that they now when they are sort of indipendent can afford to take more time on their projects... Like Blizzard... Not that they would go in to another MMO-war with Blizzard... Or try to emulate them in other ways... 

Perhaps a better company to compare with would have been Valve... But they have not made a game since before the last iceage... 

I also care jack for EQ:N or what platformthey will develop on in the future... 

This have been a good conversation

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

I care little for words... Especially PR words... I am curious about what actions they will take.. Also i really fail to see how your red highlights are relevant... I was just musing that they now when they are sort of indipendent can afford to take more time on their projects... Like Blizzard... Not that they would go in to another MMO-war with Blizzard... Or try to emulate them in other ways... 

Perhaps a better company to compare with would have been Valve... But they have not made a game since before the last iceage... 

I also care jack for EQ:N or what platformthey will develop on in the future... 

This really deserves its own post, but his words are interesting.

He says the age of WoW mmos are over, but then right behind that he admits that casual gaming (the casual gaming philosophy popularized by WoW), is the way of the future.

Cool frickin' story, bro.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Indeed, it would appear that DGC are going in a direction that is no longer relevant to my gaming preferences.

Smedley is close to the mark when he says that today's mainstream gamer prefers shorter "session-based online play with lots of people". Just look at most of the most popular games currently: MOBA's, FPS's and trading card games.

Red and gold are considered very lucky/fortunate colours in China, but that probably had nothing to do with DGC's new logo choice...

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

This whole thing gives off a weird vibe.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    here we go ... ; https://www.daybreakgames.com/daybreakcash

Smedley is still there, what did you think?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Planetside 2 has been on the back burner for a good while and since it's been my favourite shooter past 2 years I'm kinda in favour  of the nose on the right side.