Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just Resubbed To Wildstar and.... LOL.

FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

Thought I'd try the game out again.  This was at 6.45pm today.  I logged in and was stood in the main Dominion city, right outside the auction house.  Saw absolutely nobody.  I said in map chat "Anybody around?"... Not a single reply for 10 minutes.  Tried again, same thing.  30 mins later I got a private message saying "You think that's bad? Check the auction house out" so I did.

There wasn't a SINGLE listing on the auction house.  It's not only a ghost game, but their economy has gone to sh*t too... Infact it looks like there isn't any economy at all.  I was amazed to find absolutely NOTHING on the auction house.  I then tried to buy CREDD (gives you subscription for in game gold) and there was no CREDD available whatsoever.

How can they expect to keep charging a sub for this when their main cities are ghost towns at peak times of the day and their auction house doesn't have a single item on it?  Literally nothing.

Comments

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    What server were you on? PvE or PvP?
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    That's amazing.  I thought the game was in bad shape but didn't realize it was that bad.  They almost need to go F2P as a last ditch attempt before closing down, if it is that bad.
  • FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    I was on the PvP server, but c'mon, there's two servers and one of them is a ghost server?  That's pathetic.  Two servers and only one is worth playing on.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Alverant
    What server were you on? PvE or PvP?

My money's on the latter.

Edit: Waited too long to hit that enter button it seems!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by Mardukk
    That's amazing.  I thought the game was in bad shape but didn't realize it was that bad.  They almost need to go F2P as a last ditch attempt before closing down, if it is that bad.

My thoughts exactly, I was really surprised.  I knew it was suffering from population issues, but I'd heard that the population has picked up recently, so I decided to reinstall and try it out again.  I don't think I'm ever gonna install it again unless it goes F2P.  Even then, if nobody's around I won't play it, F2P or not.

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

You make good points and I think they may miss their F2P opportunity.  No actually, I think they've already missed it, because people will be engrossed in other games now.  This window has been and gone and Wildstar will not be in existence this time next year, in my opinion.

I think it's a shame as the game seemed ok to begin with, but I soon noted (having not done tonnes of research) that the game was meant for the hardcore.  What a big mistake because that's such a small niche - it's like going backwards in time.  Today's gamers, in the main, are in a different demographic now as we have families, kids, jobs, responsibilities - there isn't time to be hardcore at anything that is recreational, unless it's a case of putting all else last.

The game might look good and play well, but they didn't listen to the majority that said NO to hardcore, the followed the tiny minority who aren't around much either.  Free 2 Play could have saved it, but I think it's too late.

Originally posted by FuryV
    Originally posted by Mardukk

My thoughts exactly, I was really surprised.  I knew it was suffering from population issues, but I'd heard that the population has picked up recently, so I decided to reinstall and try it out again.  I don't think I'm ever gonna install it again unless it goes F2P.  Even then, if nobody's around I won't play it, F2P or not.

They all migrated to the PvE servers actually. Hence those having some population.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Yeah, pvp server pretty much dead in the water, In General pvp server  in a mmo have trouble keeping people with balance and faction in the mix.
  • DangerNobuoDangerNobuo Member UncommonPosts: 96

A pity, really. I was hoping to start playing again on the PvP server in two weeks or so.

Sad to hear that there is no-one there.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Makes me happy everytime I read one of these, i won't lie. Even though there's still slight population on the PVE server, its dead and soon to be f2p/b2p.  I've never wanted an MMORPG to fail harder.  Actually, I've never wanted any MMORPGs to fail prior to this one.  

"Our MMO is the best" "We're bringing hardcore back". These things were said on stream before their game even launched.

Nobody who says these things before their game launches deserves to be a game developer. On-top of that, nobody that thinks 40 man raiding could survive in today's world deserves to be a developer.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by zaberfangx
    Yeah, pvp server pretty much dead in the water, In General pvp server  in a mmo have trouble keeping people with balance and faction in the mix.

Yeah, it's pretty much a universal thing.

Once the game's a little older (or just tanks badly like WS did) the PvP servers are always the first to wither away.

• phobossionphobossion Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by mark2123

I think it's a shame as the game seemed ok to begin with, but I soon noted (having not done tonnes of research) that the game was meant for the hardcore.  What a big mistake because that's such a small niche - it's like going backwards in time.  Today's gamers, in the main, are in a different demographic now as we have families, kids, jobs, responsibilities - there isn't time to be hardcore at anything that is recreational, unless it's a case of putting all else last.

The game might look good and play well, but they didn't listen to the majority that said NO to hardcore, the followed the tiny minority who aren't around much either.  Free 2 Play could have saved it, but I think it's too late.

I am not sure about that. Myself and all my friends who tried the game (like 4 people) have quit long before getting to the "hardcore" endgame. None of us could stand the extremely pathetic solo leveling, not even mentioning the weird flashy art style they have chosen for their UI. From people who actually got to them, I hear that the dungeons and raids are actually very good. It almost looks like if they would actually have a good 1 to max game, there would be enough people left to do the 40 mans and help each other with the attunements. 

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Reminds me of Rift before it went with F2P.  Was a litteral ghost town for a while.  Only 2 out of 16 servers with a population.  Sad is I actually liked the classes and races for this game.

I am so glad I went back to Dark Age of Camelot..  Population is thriving there.  And it is a very old game!  Guess all NC soft has left is Lineage 2 and Aion!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Not a surprise at all.

Just a MMO, or a hardcore one ... won't cut it in today's marketplace. If they don't have a unique gameplay hook, or some visible IP, it is probably very hard for them to survive.

I expect some last ditch F2P effort, and even then, i may not want to spend 15 min to check them out. There is just so much entertainment out there.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    It's amazing they would build a game around a nostalgic niche of players, and expect to generate enough revenue to sustain itself.  
    Originally posted by xpowderx

Reminds me of Rift before it went with F2P.  Was a litteral ghost town for a while.  Only 2 out of 16 servers with a population.  Sad is I actually liked the classes and races for this game.

I am so glad I went back to Dark Age of Camelot..  Population is thriving there.  And it is a very old game!  Guess all NC soft has left is Lineage 2 and Aion!

I've actually got a brand new sealed version of DAOC that's been sitting in my games rack for over 10 years.  Was given to me over a decade ago by my uncle and I never bothered playing it because it looked old, lol, even back then.  I've heard so many good things about it though, I may have to finally rip off the wrapping and try it out.

EDIT: Actually having just watched a gameplay video on Youtube, the graphics are nowhere near as bad as I thought they were.  You say the population is thriving?  May check it out actually.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    NC soft should have never gotten rid of Dungeon Runners or City of Heroes/Villians.   Both were very good titles!
    Originally posted by observer
    It's amazing they would build a game around a nostalgic niche of players, and expect to generate enough revenue to sustain itself.  

They are not the only one to pour money into a bad business ideas. I am not surprised at all. With a market that big, there bound to be some naive operators who lost their shirt.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I'm on NA PvE server at 2:57pm and search results has pegged out 50 players, with 34 nearby. I'm guessing 50 is the max it shows when you do a search, but I see plenty of people here. But I wouldn't judge a title by what you can see but by its economy. The AH and CX are still very active, so that means players are still around. Don't count the game out one bit. 

edit: forgot to mention I was in Illum.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Makes me happy everytime I read one of these, i won't lie. Even though there's still slight population on the PVE server, its dead and soon to be f2p/b2p.  I've never wanted an MMORPG to fail harder.  Actually, I've never wanted any MMORPGs to fail prior to this one.  

"Our MMO is the best" "We're bringing hardcore back". These things were said on stream before their game even launched.

Nobody who says these things before their game launches deserves to be a game developer. On-top of that, nobody that thinks 40 man raiding could survive in today's world deserves to be a developer.  

I blame it more on the players than the developers. I'm sure they did the research and every hardcore player from the past said "hell ya, bring it on"!  Short and simple, they made the game to hard for the new generation of players and everyone quit. Now they have nerfed everything and no one wants to give it another go. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

I blame it more on the players than the developers. I'm sure they did the research and every hardcore player from the past said "hell ya, bring it on"!  Short and simple, they made the game to hard for the new generation of players and everyone quit. Now they have nerfed everything and no one wants to give it another go. 

How can you blame players for the failure of a game? No player is obligated to play a game they don't like .. or give any game a chance.

Originally posted by xpowderx
    NC soft should have never gotten rid of Dungeon Runners or City of Heroes/Villians.   Both were very good titles!

Yep and like an idiot I hitched my horse to W* because it was the only new SF game out there.

This game broke me. I tried going back a few weeks ago and encountered the same problems with an open world game. There were lots more people there since my initial try-out  at least (but that's not saying much). I don't know if I can plan an MMO again. I only keep coming here because I'm interested in the games industry (don't ask me why, I can't figure that out myself unless it's a hold over from my college-age dream to be a games programmer back in the 90s).

It's a real pity because W* has some wonderful lore and a great setting. But too many of the core mechanics are broken and/or not to my taste for me to stick with it once my year-long membership is up. No more NC Soft for me unless it brings back City of Heroes/Villains. (And probably no more MMOs for me again until there's a new original superhero game).

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    A another thing I have to say, there doing something wrong and not doing so hot at this point of time, even in how many free to play games out there doing better then this game when it's sub there mmo should be a lot of pro sub players all over this game but for in this part it's not helping it.
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

How can you blame players for the failure of a game? No player is obligated to play a game they don't like .. or give any game a chance.

True, but I think the point was that a bunch of loud MMO players have been demanding a "hardcore" game and then started whining when a company gave them what they wanted. You could argue changing tastes or bad communications, the thing is a company thought they saw a greater demand than actually existed. So who do you blame, the company or the screamers?

Not saying that attitude is right or wrong, it's just my take on it.

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I think you just skimmed my comment. It's ok though.