Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maybe I'm Doing it Wrong

BulletToothBulletTooth Member UncommonPosts: 30

So this is not a troll post, I am seriously wondering if I am doing this game wrong. I am at about 2500 prestige and aside from a group instance and a few battlegrounds I have seen no reason to group with anyone.

I prefer grouping and since this game seems like a single player game with a multiplayer lobby where nobody has any reason to communicate, I am beginning to wonder why all the fuss for this game.

So am I mistaken in my current opinion of the game, am I missing something, or am I spot on in my assumptions?

Any feedback welcome be it constructive or not.

Comments

  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,534
    Welcome to MMORPG.. er Online RPGs in 2015.


  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,073
    Yeah, not gonna play this game because of the solo instances. Feel like they miss the whole point of massively multiplayer...

    "You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

    "classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer



  • BulletToothBulletTooth Member UncommonPosts: 30

    Originally posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to MMORPG.. er Online RPGs in 2015.

    Haha yeah I already knew this, but this game seems particularly bad.

    Originally posted by Nilden
    Yeah, not gonna play this game because of the solo instances. Feel like they miss the whole point of massively multiplayer...

    The instancing with this one is especially bad, but even game like this (lobby games) can be decent if there is some sort of group aspect to them. Which this game seems to have very little of.

    Edit: The Massively multiplayer aspect of the genre seems to be dwindling away very rapidly Nilden.

  • muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

    I wish I could tell you you're missing something OP, but my experience with the beta left me with basically the same impression as you, although I did not get nearly as far in terms of prestige, etc. 

    I just felt like the game is somehow overly instanced, like the instances barely even connect to the real world at all, and the "lobby" is little more than a veneer.  There is really no functionality anywhere, hardly any reason to even say hi, much less to group.

    The combat is fun enough but other than that I fear that there is little reason to stick around.  Pretty much moved on myself.

    "Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

  • BulletToothBulletTooth Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Originally posted by muppetpilot

    I wish I could tell you you're missing something OP, but my experience with the beta left me with basically the same impression as you, although I did not get nearly as far in terms of prestige, etc. 

    I just felt like the game is somehow overly instanced, like the instances barely even connect to the real world at all, and the "lobby" is little more than a veneer.  There is really no functionality anywhere, hardly any reason to even say hi, much less to group.

    The combat is fun enough but other than that I fear that there is little reason to stick around.  Pretty much moved on myself.

    Yeah the combat is pretty decent, it's to bad that there is not much of a game outside of combat. I can completely relate to your reasoning that there is little reason to stick around. I haven't logged in today and can't really think of a reason I should. 

    I just was curious if there was something to this game that I was not getting. I guess there isn't. 

    On another note. I would like to see this tab target in disguise combat meet more mmo's. Though I definitely prefer full action, I like how this makes tab targeting at least feel different. 

  • vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Interresing know that.... more one reason to me skip this game
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,534
    Originally posted by BulletTooth

    Originally posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to MMORPG.. er Online RPGs in 2015.

    Haha yeah I already knew this, but this game seems particularly bad.

    Originally posted by Nilden
    Yeah, not gonna play this game because of the solo instances. Feel like they miss the whole point of massively multiplayer...

    The instancing with this one is especially bad, but even game like this (lobby games) can be decent if there is some sort of group aspect to them. Which this game seems to have very little of.

    Edit: The Massively multiplayer aspect of the genre seems to be dwindling away very rapidly Nilden.

    I decided against even trying Skyforge because every video I watched only had players running around, doing stuff by themselves.  I kept waiting to see people working together, you know, like in an MMORPG, but it never came.  Solo, solo solo, nothing but a single player wiping the floor with mobs that seemed completely trivial.

    Hard pass.


  • BulletToothBulletTooth Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    Originally posted by BulletTooth

    Originally posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to MMORPG.. er Online RPGs in 2015.

    Haha yeah I already knew this, but this game seems particularly bad.

    Originally posted by Nilden
    Yeah, not gonna play this game because of the solo instances. Feel like they miss the whole point of massively multiplayer...

    The instancing with this one is especially bad, but even game like this (lobby games) can be decent if there is some sort of group aspect to them. Which this game seems to have very little of.

    Edit: The Massively multiplayer aspect of the genre seems to be dwindling away very rapidly Nilden.

    I decided against even trying Skyforge because every video I watched only had players running around, doing stuff by themselves.  I kept waiting to see people working together, you know, like in an MMORPG, but it never came.  Solo, solo solo, nothing but a single player wiping the floor with mobs that seemed completely trivial.

    Hard pass.

    I should have done the same, but I got a free key so I guess no loss other than my time. 

  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934
    Yeah this game is definitely not for people who like to get carried or ezmode faceroll in a group.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration


  • BulletToothBulletTooth Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Originally posted by Torval
    Yeah this game is definitely not for people who like to get carried or ezmode faceroll in a group.

    I agree with you. it is definitely for people who like to ezmode face roll solo. I have done pretty much everything solo up to this point and died once when I jumped of the edge of the world.

  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934
    Originally posted by BulletTooth
    Originally posted by Torval
    Yeah this game is definitely not for people who like to get carried or ezmode faceroll in a group.

    I agree with you. it is definitely for people who like to ezmode face roll solo. I have done pretty much everything solo up to this point and died once when I jumped of the edge of the world.

    At 2500 prestige... sure you did.

    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration


  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

    My girlfriend and I both bought into the beta.

     

    I knew going in that I was basically burning $20, and that the game wouldn't be that great.

    Was not disappointed... 

  • XiaokiXiaoki Member RarePosts: 3,358

    Why didnt you do the first 5 man dungeon? At 2,500 prestige you should have it unlocked.


    If you skip the content that requires more people then of course you will be doing everything solo.


    There is also 10 man raids at endgame.


    But, to answer your question: yes, you are doing it wrong.

  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

    It is a largely solo-able game. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of Neverwinter. Not that that's a bad thing, just that group oriented folks who don't want to just breeze through content will be disappointed.

    That said, as Torval implies, group content really does get tougher later on.  But the game certainly makes you feel like it's just a cakewalk solo early on.

    Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

    My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

    Sounds like Skyforge was made for today's "average casual MMO player", given that you can solo most everything and get plenty of loot and rewards for doing so.

     

    They probably decided to dispense with the "optional group content", seeing as 75% of players probably never touch that stuff...

  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I haven't been following this game closely, but i've seen some videos and reviews of it.  It seems it's a lobby-based game like GW1.  I haven't seen any open-world zones at all.  The game looks pretty good, but if there's no open-world, that's a dealbreaker for me.
  • BulletToothBulletTooth Member UncommonPosts: 30

    Originally posted by BillMurphy

    It is a largely solo-able game. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of Neverwinter. Not that that's a bad thing, just that group oriented folks who don't want to just breeze through content will be disappointed.

    That said, as Torval implies, group content really does get tougher later on.  But the game certainly makes you feel like it's just a cakewalk solo early on.

    That maybe so, I am just concerned as I have spent many hours already in the game and have had no reason to group other than the first 5 man.

    Originally posted by Xiaoki

    Why didnt you do the first 5 man dungeon? At 2,500 prestige you should have it unlocked.


    If you skip the content that requires more people then of course you will be doing everything solo.


    There is also 10 man raids at endgame.


    But, to answer your question: yes, you are doing it wrong.

    I did do it, thus why I said I have done almost everything solo. I have not skipped anything, I am kind of a completionist.

    Originally posted by Torval

    Originally posted by BulletTooth
    Originally posted by Torval
    Yeah this game is definitely not for people who like to get carried or ezmode faceroll in a group.

    I agree with you. it is definitely for people who like to ezmode face roll solo. I have done pretty much everything solo up to this point and died once when I jumped of the edge of the world.

    At 2500 prestige... sure you did.

    I sure have, I am sorry if the game is hard for you. Although I am happy at the same time that this game is challenging for some people. 

    On a final note I simply asked if I was missing something. So no need to be rude. Then again if you are just trolling me, good job, you got me.

     

  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934

    You can choose the difficulty level of the instances you go into. If the content is too easy then pay attention to the difficulty level and choose harder rated missions.

    2500 prestige isn't very far into character progression and you didn't see everything because the content isn't unlocked. The harder group content comes at much higher prestige levels.

    The early levels seem intended to be easy to train you how to play the role in the classes you are unlocking.

    I wouldn't have been so rude if you hadn't made rude thoughtless comments about solo players.

    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration


  • BulletToothBulletTooth Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Originally posted by Torval

    You can choose the difficulty level of the instances you go into. If the content is too easy then pay attention to the difficulty level and choose harder rated missions.

    2500 prestige isn't very far into character progression and you didn't see everything because the content isn't unlocked. The harder group content comes at much higher prestige levels.

    The early levels seem intended to be easy to train you how to play the role in the classes you are unlocking.

    I wouldn't have been so rude if you hadn't made rude thoughtless comments about solo players.

    A rude thoughtless comment kind of like the one where people who want to be carried and ezmode face roll in groups should not play this game. Which was obviously directed at me. 

    In the end I thank you for answering my original question although it took three responses to get it. I intend to play further to see if the game improves. However one concern I still have and that should be addressed is the fact that with as many hours that I have invested in Skyforge and not seen any reason to group other than one 5 man instance.

    This could also be just my opinion, based on my own subjective perception of the game. However, based on some of the replies I have gotten it seems I am not the only person with these concerns.

     

  • BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Me & my dad just bought the 65 euro pack today and having a blast playing it together, content is relatively easy early on and it's always nice to have someone to play with along the way.
  • BulletToothBulletTooth Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Originally posted by Boltonsquad
    Me & my dad just bought the 65 euro pack today and having a blast playing it together, content is relatively easy early on and it's always nice to have someone to play with along the way.

    Yeah I am trying to get some friends to join me. Having a companion would likely make a world of difference.

  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,656
    Originally posted by BulletTooth
    Originally posted by Torval

    You can choose the difficulty level of the instances you go into. If the content is too easy then pay attention to the difficulty level and choose harder rated missions.

    2500 prestige isn't very far into character progression and you didn't see everything because the content isn't unlocked. The harder group content comes at much higher prestige levels.

    The early levels seem intended to be easy to train you how to play the role in the classes you are unlocking.

    I wouldn't have been so rude if you hadn't made rude thoughtless comments about solo players.

    A rude thoughtless comment kind of like the one where people who want to be carried and ezmode face roll in groups should not play this game. Which was obviously directed at me. 

    In the end I thank you for answering my original question although it took three responses to get it. I intend to play further to see if the game improves. However one concern I still have and that should be addressed is the fact that with as many hours that I have invested in Skyforge and not seen any reason to group other than one 5 man instance.

    This could also be just my opinion, based on my own subjective perception of the game. However, based on some of the replies I have gotten it seems I am not the only person with these concerns.

     

     

    A brilliant comment and much needed! Seeing how some of you needed to pay closer attention to figure that out! But somehow you needed a guide, a walk through, or a youtube video to see how to change the difficulty of an instance.

     

    I bet your that cat who doesn't read his/her skills/abilities. Jumping into a dungeon tanking in DPS gear and spec only switching into Defensive Stance.

     

    LAZY!!!

    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
Sign In or Register to comment.