Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Talk to us, Daybreak Studios

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 7,774

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/952/view/forums/post/6637575#6637575

^^^ You going to make the same thread every week? MMOs take years to make and most MMOs dont give monthly updates till they get closer to closed to open beta range. Stomping your feet demanding info will get you know where. This is a process every MMOs has done over the past 16 years. DGC gives more info then you normally see. Watch the live streams you get tib bits here and there. 

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,305

well, they are active in the EQ community, making poll posts about a new progression server, letting the fans decide.

IMO EQN = vaporware.

if that's the case, i don't blame them one bit.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    EQN being vaporware just doesn't make sense. First is that DGC would gain nothing by staying quiet this long about it. Second is that there are more people supposedly working on it than CN would allow to just hang out. Landmark for the updates it's getting wouldn't need that many people IMO. Still... until more is known it's a big ? so who knows.

At this point I think worse case scenario is that EQN turns out a "normal" MMO without the advanced AI and more features are tuned down. I'm pretty sure EQN has been worked on this whole time to some extent and supposedly that started before Live '13 with the world seeding and artists forming specific land masses. I mean, if we can believe (I do) that a handful of volunteer developers can create an MMO certainly a group still at least 4-5 times that size can do it. Espececially since the world had already been procedurally generated.
  • Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    They should just sell the franchise

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Aelious

At this point I think worse case scenario is that EQN turns out a "normal" MMO without the advanced AI and more features are tuned down. I'm pretty sure EQN has been worked on this whole time to some extent and supposedly that started before Live '13 with the world seeding and artists forming specific land masses.

IMO the EQ franchise bit off more then they can chew long ago..  They hyped the hell out of Storybricks, and other features and found out later it was no longer achievable  on a mass scale.. I think that is why we haven't seen anything in the last two Live events..  This is why Landmark is using "stupid" AI for it's mobs..  I believe the silence is all about how DGC plans to redesign EQN and how do we spin it so it sounds good..

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    EQN being vaporware just doesn't make sense. First is that DGC would gain nothing by staying quiet this long about it. Second is that there are more people supposedly working on it than CN would allow to just hang out. Landmark for the updates it's getting wouldn't need that many people IMO. Still... until more is known it's a big ? so who knows.

At this point I think worse case scenario is that EQN turns out a "normal" MMO without the advanced AI and more features are tuned down. I'm pretty sure EQN has been worked on this whole time to some extent and supposedly that started before Live '13 with the world seeding and artists forming specific land masses. I mean, if we can believe (I do) that a handful of volunteer developers can create an MMO certainly a group still at least 4-5 times that size can do it. Espececially since the world had already been procedurally generated.

Devils advocate, it does make a lot of sense for Daybreak to stay silent about EQN been cancelled, if it were that is.  The moment they confirmed the project is dead they have a negative storm of backlash from fans as well as media coverage about failure. A number of people hanging around Landmark and maybe even other EQ games walk away as they were just hanging around until EQN.

Confirming the project is dead gains Daybreak what?     

Also I think your worst case scenario is blindly optimistic.  Right now Everquest Next-Landmark is EQN and Daybreak could just bolt on some of the unfinished missing systems they are working on and release it as EQN regardless of what type of game it tries to be... and I'm not sure that is even the worst case scenario.

Likewise if the team is relying on players to make assets for arguably one of the two most important locations in the game, ten it casts doubt or their ability to create assets for the rest of the entire game.  Please tell me you are not referencing developers that have stated the world is procedurally generated?

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

^^^ You going to make the same thread every week? MMOs take years to make and most MMOs dont give monthly updates till they get closer to closed to open beta range. Stomping your feet demanding info will get you know where. This is a process every MMOs has done over the past 16 years. DGC gives more info then you normally see. Watch the live streams you get tib bits here and there. 

You  are being intentionally dismissive.  EQN development has been anything but typical to other MMOs the last 16 years.

You do realize that EQN has a weekly update podcast about EQN for quite some time now. You make the same post about it every week, so I assume you do.

Just to point out how incorrect you are about what you think is typical of MMOs and how EQN is anywhere similar to that.

Originally posted by Daffid011

You  are being intentionally dismissive.  EQN development has been anything but typical to other MMOs the last 16 years.

You do realize that EQN has a weekly update podcast about EQN for quite some time now. You make the same post about it every week, so I assume you do.

Just to point out how incorrect you are about what you think is typical of MMOs and how EQN is anywhere similar to that.

I highlighted what you seem to think is absent from my post. He is asking for more updates. Im saying we already get more info then most MMOs give at this point of development. If he wants more, he is going to have to wait. His posts are not going to speed up the info no matter the fact if he keeps the trend of posting the same requests weekly. 

Daffid011

Yep, in the Live '13 video Greg Spence says the new Norrath was seeded using a musical algorithm and artists were pounding out specific locations. They showed monthly updates from when it was prototyping and the progress they made in a short time with one or a couple people working on it. Can any of us truly gauge what the EQN team as a whole is capable of over a given time frame? If so contact DGC and I'm sure they'll give them a project management position lol.

Speaking of, if they knew they would have the building tools in Landmark to have build contest your think they would plan for it and work on other things instead. I'm pretty sure the series of events was on some white board long ago. Any long term project requires knowing short and long term goals for all of the pieces, big and small, so that the project goes as smooth as possible with the smallest time wasted.

Thing is, either because of people's attitudes towards DGC or MMOs in general, some just assume that the EQN team is incompetent and doesn't know how to function at the most basic level of business. I know that's the thing to do on them 'netz but it is wierd to me. Posting at all infers some investment and why some are so eager to be negatively invested I'll never understand.
    Daffid011

I do see your point about company intetgrity being a possible reason for silence if EQN is never going to release. If not, take the entities done (world, races, mobs, buildings, etc.) and make it a sandbox just like Landmark only bigger. Add in a content creation system, even if it's dumb, and allow them to be submitted as applied content to the overall world. Even doing that would provide something fresh. I know NW does similar but not in an open world with the same building tools, voxel world, crafting, etc. etc.
  • Fractal_AnalogyFractal_Analogy Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Daffid011

Yep, in the Live '13 video Greg Spence says the new Norrath was seeded using a musical algorithm and artists were pounding out specific locations. They showed monthly updates from when it was prototyping and the progress they made in a short time with one or a couple people working on it. Can any of us truly gauge what the EQN team as a whole is capable of over a given time frame? If so contact DGC and I'm sure they'll give them a project management position lol.

Speaking of, if they knew they would have the building tools in Landmark to have build contest your think they would plan for it and work on other things instead. I'm pretty sure the series of events was on some white board long ago. Any long term project requires knowing short and long term goals for all of the pieces, big and small, so that the project goes as smooth as possible with the smallest time wasted.

Thing is, either because of people's attitudes towards DGC or MMOs in general, some just assume that the EQN team is incompetent and doesn't know how to function at the most basic level of business. I know that's the thing to do on them 'netz but it is wierd to me. Posting at all infers some investment and why some are so eager to be negatively invested I'll never understand.

Sounds very nice Aelious, but all SOE/Daybreak would have to do to save face is issue a 10s video of an actual Avatar within Norrath.

Since they can't^, we know the truth of things.

We know there is no EQn servers, or game world. They are using Landmark to build the engine, that will eventually be EQ. The problem is, they are moving slow and nobody likes the direction they have been heading. John Smedley has had a rude awakening, as many people within SOE has been telling him, but were ignored.

In Smedley's greed, He had thought EQn would be easily pushed out and making millions off all the kids, in his new FREE TO PLAY game. But instead, Smedley's biggest lesson was learning that MMOs are different than MMORPGs. And that EQ Franchise is based on MMORPG.

MMO =  Kid's game  (mobile)

MMORPG = Adult's game (PC)

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,499
    Originally posted by vorpal28

Personally I'd let em be, and make the game, no news is good news.

So chill out and maybe post on thier own forums, since I doubt they read these ones.

Can't really agree, for example, look at all the people who have been waiting for Blade and Soul. Guess the no news must be good news?

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Fractal_Analogy

Originally posted by Aelious Daffid011 Yep, in the Live '13 video Greg Spence says the new Norrath was seeded using a musical algorithm and artists were pounding out specific locations. They showed monthly updates from when it was prototyping and the progress they made in a short time with one or a couple people working on it. Can any of us truly gauge what the EQN team as a whole is capable of over a given time frame? If so contact DGC and I'm sure they'll give them a project management position lol. Speaking of, if they knew they would have the building tools in Landmark to have build contest your think they would plan for it and work on other things instead. I'm pretty sure the series of events was on some white board long ago. Any long term project requires knowing short and long term goals for all of the pieces, big and small, so that the project goes as smooth as possible with the smallest time wasted. Thing is, either because of people's attitudes towards DGC or MMOs in general, some just assume that the EQN team is incompetent and doesn't know how to function at the most basic level of business. I know that's the thing to do on them 'netz but it is wierd to me. Posting at all infers some investment and why some are so eager to be negatively invested I'll never understand.
    Sounds very nice Aelious, but all SOE/Daybreak would have to do to save face is issue a 10s video of an actual Avatar within Norrath.

Ascetically, that is landmark.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

If you look at what they are doing with EQ2 it appears like they are trying to squeeze as much out of their franchises as possible with the least amount of cost.  I don't see a lot of concern for the long term viability of their games at this point only short term profit generation.  What that tells me about EQN is we will probably see a game called EQN released this year or early next but it won't look anything like what the developers have been hyping.  My guess is player driven content is gone beyond carefully controlled areas (think GW2/RiFT style of repeating area quests) and the general size of the world will be scaled back significantly.  It will launch F2P with paid DLC packs every few months like DCUO and now EQ2 that charge you a quarter of the price of a full expansion for a single zone plus some fluff.  

It's a shame really because even if you didn't like the direction some of EQN was taking you had to admire the immersive elements they where trying to accomplish.  Now it's going to be several years before anyone is going to try that kind of dynamic AI in a MMO again I fear. 

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,089

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh_0neHhR0k

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Heretique

So chill out and maybe post on thier own forums, since I doubt they read these ones.

Can't really agree, for example, look at all the people who have been waiting for Blade and Soul. Guess the no news must be good news?

Add PSO2 ( in the West ) to that list. We have given up waiting now and even played the SEA version for a while.

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Originally posted by Allein

And https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-rppIWGIcQ

Originally posted by BadOrb
    Originally posted by Heretique

Add PSO2 ( in the West ) to that list. We have given up waiting now and even played the SEA version for a while.

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

Most MMOs take 4-6 years to make. Want to be an MMO fan who follows new MMOs, well strap in your in for a long wait and my guess this will never change. Sure tecn gets better and its easier to make content now then ever before. But we also ask more and more of our games. MMOs now days launch with alomost as many systems as game that have been out 6-10 years+ 

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member RarePosts: 3,412

OK Mr daybreak self proclaimed knight on white charger let me refrase the person you quoted. 

All Daybreak have to do to reassure the doubtful is a 10s vid of a character in EQN not Landmark. Now you being there hero should have no trouble finding a recent vid from daybreak not old vids from SOE. 

This should be good. 

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

OK Mr daybreak self proclaimed knight on white charger let me refrase the person you quoted. 

All Daybreak have to do to reassure the doubtful is a 10s vid of a character in EQN not Landmark. Now you being there hero should have no trouble finding a recent vid from daybreak not old vids from SOE. 

This should be good. 

The video I posted was a part of Neriak and that city is a ENQ city not Landmark. The video Allien posted were of two zones that are in EQN not Landmark as well. The video he posted is a little old but the one I posted is not that long ago. It was our first look at some of the classes in EQN not Landmark. Eat your words it just what you asked for. Matter of fact you asked for 10 seconds and thats way more then that.

• KamofilaKamofila Member UncommonPosts: 113
    The video you pasted was from August 2014, and they other video was a year before that.  If that's what you call recent footage, then by all means.

Do you like lollipops? Suck it. Don't bite you greedy twit.

Originally posted by Kamofila
    The video you pasted was from August 2014, and they other video was a year before that.  If that's what you call recent footage, then by all means.

LOL for an MMO in Alpha, thats down right fresh news. Nit Pick if you like, it fits the request. That was in EQN, in EQN zones. Playing Avatars you cant play in Landmark and playing classes again only in EQN. It even showed off combat and skills unique to said classes. 

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,385

This should be good. 

The video I posted was a part of Neriak and that city is a ENQ city not Landmark. The video Allien posted were of two zones that are in EQN not Landmark as well. The video he posted is a little old but the one I posted is not that long ago. It was our first look at some of the classes in EQN not Landmark. Eat your words it just what you asked for. Matter of fact you asked for 10 seconds and thats way more then that.

Without any evidence of a user interface, this is nothing more than another demonstration of some artwork and animation.  It was only that when it was released, and it remains that now.  That really may be software that will eventually be released as EQ:N, or it may be something imported into Landmark test bed, or it may be an animation captured within the editing tool that was used to create the character models.  Once again, this comes down to if the viewer believes that the video was captured from a live game.  The independent scenes give the impression that the YouTube video has been highly edited, perhaps from multiple sources.  A series of cut-scenes doesn't convince me at all.

If it is edited, there's some question to its authenticity, especially with the tools available today.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Originally posted by Mendel

This should be good. 

Without any evidence of a user interface, this is nothing more than another demonstration of some artwork and animation.  It was only that when it was released, and it remains that now.  That really may be software that will eventually be released as EQ:N, or it may be something imported into Landmark test bed, or it may be an animation captured within the editing tool that was used to create the character models.  Once again, this comes down to if the viewer believes that the video was captured from a live game.  The independent scenes give the impression that the YouTube video has been highly edited, perhaps from multiple sources.  A series of cut-scenes doesn't convince me at all.

If it is edited, there's some question to its authenticity, especially with the tools available today.

No, thats how the video was shown at 2014 Live event by Devs. 

EDIT: There is no UI in the video as in the live event there was devs talking about the combat and a bit about the skills and how combat worked including their action combat, showing off how your skills need to be aimed etc. Showing off a UI in Alpha stages would just be silly as UI is one of the last parts of an MMO to get polished. 

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,385

The video was from SOELive 2014, yes.  And it was edited before showing that to the audience then.  The highly cinematic camera angles that jump around in mid-action are proof of that.  If it's live game-play, as you suggest, where is the time when the player had the camera looking the wrong way and missed the action.  Sure, it's been edited.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.