Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for this type of action MMO

Windbrand1Windbrand1 Member UncommonPosts: 10

Hello,

I'm looking for good action MMO that fit these criteria:

- Not modern (especially with guns) or sci-fi themed. Preferably fantasy/medieval

- Definitely not tab-targetting/lock-on combat where you essentially take turns to smack each other until one is dead. Looking for combat that requires some level of skill such as Blade & Soul, Closers, Rusty Hearts, etc, where you need to block/dodge/time moves

- Has to be released, of course, in North America. Most results I've searched on Google are Korean MMOs that have a long ways of being released here

- Not Tera. Dislike that game. Not a fan of Aion either

- Not Rift. It's a good game in terms of content and lore but the combat is just so boring. Pretty much taking turns whacking each other, not sure why this game is even considered an action MMO

- Free to play and not pay to win. As much as I dislike Tera I have to admit that game has the least intrusive cash shop I've ever seen in an MMO, 99% of the stuff in cash shop are vanity items

Thanks.

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Windbrand1

Hello,

- Not modern (especially with guns) or sci-fi themed. Preferably fantasy/medieval

- Definitely not tab-targetting/lock-on combat where you essentially take turns to smack each other until one is dead. Looking for combat that requires some level of skill such as Blade & Soul, Closers, Rusty Hearts, etc, where you need to block/dodge/time moves

- Has to be released, of course, in North America. Most results I've searched on Google are Korean MMOs that have a long ways of being released here

- Not Rift. It's a good game in terms of content and lore but the combat is just so boring. Pretty much taking turns whacking each other, not sure why this game is even considered an action MMO

- Free to play and not pay to win. As much as I dislike Tera I have to admit that game has the least intrusive cash shop I've ever seen in an MMO, 99% of the stuff in cash shop are vanity items

Thanks.

GW2?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Hello,

Thanks.

GW2?

This^ 

Like the OP, im also waiting on a bunch of action based asian mmos like Closers, Kritika, Blade and Soul, and Black Desert.

I dont like Tera either (probably for different reasons than the OP), so all i can suggest is GW2 at the moment. You have to buy the game but there is no subscription and no content restrictions and a fair cosmetic cash shop

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Do people really believe that after reading his post , that the OP is oblivious to GW2 .....

• wouter445wouter445 Member Posts: 7

i know just the thing for you.

vindictus.

Dragon nest

C9

all three are action based and fits profile you looking for.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Though not yet released in the west, I would recommend Blade & Soul. I'm trying to get the TW version to run with an English translation patch. I really hope to get it working because that one emulated server I found is still using a beta version of BnS. And though I do not want to support emulated servers, after having played for a few hours I surely hope NCWest will hurry up with their version of the game.
  • Windbrand1Windbrand1 Member UncommonPosts: 10

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've been watching Blade & Soul for quite a while now and it seems they don't even have an estimated release date yet. I'd prefer playing when it actually comes out in NA, because if I play on the TW server then all my progress would be wasted after switching over to NA. I actually understand Chinese so I don't even need an English patch, it's not a language problem. My friend who I'll be playing with doesn't understand a word of it though. Also I'm sure there'd be stability, lag (which is game-breaking for an action MMO, as I'm sure servers are somewhere in Asia) and bugs when applying a 3rd party patch over the game.

As for GW2 I know it's considered a great game but personally I'm not really comfortable shelling out $60-70 for a game that I might not even like, without a demo. I'm surprised they don't offer a demo for this game like WoW did. Why not let people try the game until say, level X? Or maybe X hours of game time? MMO's are hit or miss, no way to guarantee that everyone will like GW2.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Gw2 was like 10$ couple of week past. just wait until they have another sell..

I suggest that you wait for Gloria Victis. http://gloriavictisgame.com/

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've been watching Blade & Soul for quite a while now and it seems they don't even have an estimated release date yet. I'd prefer playing when it actually comes out in NA, because if I play on the TW server then all my progress would be wasted after switching over to NA. I actually understand Chinese so I don't even need an English patch, it's not a language problem. My friend who I'll be playing with doesn't understand a word of it though. Also I'm sure there'd be stability, lag (which is game-breaking for an action MMO, as I'm sure servers are somewhere in Asia) and bugs when applying a 3rd party patch over the game.

As for GW2 I know it's considered a great game but personally I'm not really comfortable shelling out $60-70 for a game that I might not even like, without a demo. I'm surprised they don't offer a demo for this game like WoW did. Why not let people try the game until say, level X? Or maybe X hours of game time? MMO's are hit or miss, no way to guarantee that everyone will like GW2.

Well, it's not really $60 but $40 but I understand what you mean about not wanting to buy it without a demo.

However, there's a sale that starts tomorrow, from 10 AM april 10th (PT) to 11:59 pm april 13th it'll be 75% off so if you want to you can buy it for $10, in case you're interested. They're doing to sale prior to a public test of the expansion's new PvP mode on april 14th.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Just a quick heads up, GW2 sale is up right now, it'll be only $10 until the 13th in case you're interested.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

$10 sounds like a good deal, but how does GW2 compare with Tera? It seems that Tera excels in both graphics and combat, but maybe lacks in content (completely useless crafting system, no RP elements at all, zero exploration, only 2-3 endgame instances). Though I'm not much of an RPer and don't care for really complex crafting/exploration elements in MMOs, I mainly just focus on the combat gameplay itself. Also have zero interest in PvP. From the gameplay videos I can see that the combat in GW2 is easier/less complex than Tera, it seems to be a mixture of point/click and dodge/block. Also it has no mounts or face-to-face trading which is something I'm not sure I can get used to.

Also btw is the $15 "hero edition" of GW2 worth getting if we plan to get this? Most of the items seem to be rather useless other than the pet.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

age of conan should fullfill all points too.

not 100% sure about the p2w tho

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126

Age of conan is great. It's a european slice of mmo with beautifull landscapes and the models look alright. They have made the free o play model beter with all classes available but paid subscribers get alternate advancements free players don't. There are no kids playing AoC due to it's mature rating.

I've also tried Tera, though it's not really what you want, it's a more modern era than AoC, and more magical too. You do best to try these two out they are the best that I've tried.

I would avoid Dragons Prophet.

• shalhassanshalhassan Member UncommonPosts: 43

$10 sounds like a good deal, but how does GW2 compare with Tera? It seems that Tera excels in both graphics and combat, but maybe lacks in content (completely useless crafting system, no RP elements at all, zero exploration, only 2-3 endgame instances). Though I'm not much of an RPer and don't care for really complex crafting/exploration elements in MMOs, I mainly just focus on the combat gameplay itself. Also have zero interest in PvP. From the gameplay videos I can see that the combat in GW2 is easier/less complex than Tera, it seems to be a mixture of point/click and dodge/block. Also it has no mounts or face-to-face trading which is something I'm not sure I can get used to.

Also btw is the $15 "hero edition" of GW2 worth getting if we plan to get this? Most of the items seem to be rather useless other than the pet.

GW2 has a tonne of content. They've made the end game progress laterally. So there are no loot tiers, the new patches released since launch are all lvl 80 content, and the new expansion will continue this trend, with no raise in the lvl cap or new armour tiers added.

The crafting in GW2 is pretty in depth. They've (semi)recently added some ascended tier crafting, which allows you to work for a long while to get the materials to make top tier gear for your character. There are also legendary weapons that can be crafted, and they take either a huge amount of gold, or time commitment to get, but they are the best weapons in game.

All the zones, including dungeons, will scale the player to their level. This means you will never be tearing through grey mobs. They will certainly get easier once you're better geared and have more skills, but it's never pointless. You could literally spend the entire level grind in one zone (not recommended, but possible).

Combat is fun, there is a meta gear type that people use to go flying through dungeons, but if you're looking to mess around with builds and gear, there is a tonne of viable builds that allow for many different styles of gameplay. The classes stay away from the holy trinity of the MMO, and most of the higher difficulty fights require knowledge of the fight, and how to avoid damage, instead of having a tank and healer. 

It's not for everybody, but I have spent several hundred hours in game, and have come back many times since launch to see how things have changed. I highly recommend giving it a shot, and for $10, I can't see any reason not to.

The digital deluxe is mostly just fluff. The elite skill isn't massive damage, but it's cool. The miniature, is fluff. The influence and exp is nice, but can be obtained other ways. The banker golem is awesome while it's active, but isn't permanent. 

"A single battle you have won, but so quick to think that this will be the end? I, like fear, am eternal, and in your dreams, I shall forever haunt."

• SuntouchedSuntouched Member CommonPosts: 50

Elders Scrolls Online is probably what you looking for, or even WildStar,still has enough players to have fun with.

There is an english patch on the Russian Blade and Soul server  

watch this to see how. I dont think this game with make it to NA or EU so might aswell play it here whilst ppl are still palying it.

C9 is too instanced based, it lacks the mmo feel for me.

Originally posted by Suntouched

Elders Scrolls Online is probably what you looking for, or even WildStar,still has enough players to have fun with.

There is an english patch on the Russian Blade and Soul server  

watch this to see how. I dont think this game with make it to NA or EU so might aswell play it here whilst ppl are still palying it.

C9 is too instanced based, it lacks the mmo feel for me.

Neither ES Online nor Wildstar is free to play. Wildstar requires buying the game AND buying subscription, something rarely any MMO does these days.

If C9 is anything like Tera I guess it's worth trying out.

I got Dragon Age while on sale though it's shelved for now while playing some single player games.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Darkfall. I know it isn't ftp but it has the best action based combat in the genre. I don't love pvp and I have enjoyed my time in the game.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by wouter445

i know just the thing for you.

vindictus.

Dragon nest

C9

all three are action based and fits profile you looking for.

Even though they're not f2p, ESO, WS, or GW2 are good choices, but since you want f2p, the above would probably fit your criteria.

To be honest though, the OP's criteria is too stringent. lol.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286
    well i would say for 15 you can play gloria victus and it is a betta game for now but you can play it with a very new type of combat  very hard  game
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

If you are looking for something specific then the payment model should not matter.

If it does.... good luck in your search!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• ciorritaciorrita Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Boneserino

If you are looking for something specific then the payment model should not matter.

If it does.... good luck in your search!

You are right. I can not agree with you more.