Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About to start playing today, looking for tips/advice....

romanswinterromanswinter Member UncommonPosts: 74

So as the title suggests, I am going to give Archage a shot today. 

As a someone who will be a total noob, I am looking for some starting advice or tips to get the most out of the game, and get me on the path to clearing the 30 level tutorial I have heard so much about. 

From all the horror stories I don't think I will try farming or crafting. Will that severely limit gameplay for me? If I dont craft, farm, buy a house, does that mean I can't do the trade pack quests etc? 

Not sure if it will matter, but I usually sub to games. So if I enjoy the game today I will be a "patron" so if your advice would change based on being a free player vs a patron please keep that in mind in that I will most likely be a patron. 

Thanks everyone! 

Comments

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    1. Don't trust anyone.
    2. Get in a guild asap.
    3. The archeage forums are toxic.
    4. A new patch is coming so be prepared for logging issues.
    5. Don't trust that trion will deliver on promises.
    6. Explore!
    7. There's a ton of great stuff to do. Be creative!
    8. Don't trust anyone
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

It's not a 30 level tutorial... it's a 30 level safe zone.  Once you reach level 30 zones, you are in open world PVP.  Anyone can kill you, your faction, the opposing faction, anyone.  Hence the comments about not trusting anyone.

Trade runs are all about moving goods from one place to another.  Some are purely in the safe zones, others are purely in the war zones.  You have to craft the items necessary to do the trade runs or kill someone with a trade pack and complete their runs. So in a nutshell, you need to be able to farm and craft if you wish to do trade runs.  To do that effectively, you need to own land, and in order to own land, you MUST be a patron.  A patron requires a subscription.  It does not however, guarantee that you will acquire a plot of land.  It just means you can own land. That's it.

Almost everything in game requires labor points.  Labor to open purses, labor to harvest, labor to plant, labor to craft.

This game is all about PVP.  People will try to tell you otherwise, but the game was written with the intention that you would go out into the world and risk life and limb acquiring your materials and crafting and doing trade runs all while trying not to be killed.  You can play in totally safe areas but it's like choosing to stay in the city all the time and stand around waiting for some queue to pop in WoW.  You are avoiding the gist of the game by doing so.

Number 1, if you hate PVP... this is not your game.

Number 2, to play the game as it was intended, you MUST be a patron.

The PVE side of things is pretty lack luster on so many levels.  The PVP side of things is usually totally lopsided.  More like zerg v. zerg and one faction always outnumbers the other faction by a landslide.  Always.

That is ArcheAge... play it for what it is.  Because that is all it is.  

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    Originally posted by thundercles
    1. Don't trust anyone. 2. Get in a guild asap. 3. The archeage forums are toxic. 4. A new patch is coming so be prepared for logging issues. 5. Don't trust that trion will deliver on promises. 6. Explore! 7. There's a ton of great stuff to do. Be creative! 8. Don't trust anyone

this with 9 and 10 being dont trust anyone

• SoybeanSoybean Member UncommonPosts: 111

If you are going to take packs to and fro, don't waste your money on a hauler because people enjoy blocking bridges and causing others grief. I would not say this is so much a pvp game but a griefers game. But if you want a cheap way to make packs you need a farm. Althought you can buy the mays on the ah but that might cost you more in the end.

I suppse you can kill mobs for purses and gain money that way but like was said trion lies. Especially about archeum  drops which is a componet you need in crafting. 

Keep in mind that just about everything you do is going to cost you labor, If you make the trade pack or steal someone elses to turn it in. Patron will help you gain labor a little faster but you will quickly find just how limited you are.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I would say to concentrate on one crafting skill at a time to begin.   It can be a drain in resources to try to do too many until you get a bit established.  I like to craft everything I can in most games, and this one was a bit harder to achieve that.

I self identify as a monkey.

• bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221

The posts above me have all been accurate.  Just wanted to throw that in there so the OP doesn't think people are just being cynical.  They consider it a sandbox but you are only allowed so much sand, and only allowed to do certain things with your sand,  and patron status gives you considerably more sand and replaces your sand while you sleep, regular status just laughs at you if  you fall and spill your sand.  

Not so much pay to win, but pay to make life easier.

Have fun, try it out, eat or be eaten, kill or be killed.  It's a griefers paradise.  But if you are willing to patron up and get yourself a good guild then it can be entertaining. 

• romanswinterromanswinter Member UncommonPosts: 74

Wow!

Not the kind of responses I was expecting. I can deal with PVP games - but I can't deal with gankers and griefers. 

Is it really that bad?

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Not if you open up your credit card wide!
  • the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440
    theres some neat sutff in AA but the pay2win ruins the game, same as pretty much every mmo thats "f2p"  theres maybe 2 games in the world with cash shops that arent pay2win and AA is not 1 of them.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Hopefully this helps:

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?183676-Uninstalling-Unsubscribing

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?181837-How-TT6-Blocks-Bridges-%28with-DIY-Screenshots%29

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?183523-Devs-people-are-being-banned-by-the-zerg-reports

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?183670-Exploiting-using-physics

These are just from the top half of the first page on the official forums

It is a fun game to play casually or with some friends but once you invest some money into it, you will most likely wake up one morning and feel cheated.  Play for free, get to max level and then decide if its a game you think is worth your money

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    prepare your wallet to buy items that allow you to bypass a great deal of RNG or just allow you a higher income of money (farm-wagon)
    I didn't have that much trouble.  It was a bit more cutthroat when you got into the oceans though.  Pirates were a popular trade.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by romanswinter

Wow!

Not the kind of responses I was expecting. I can deal with PVP games - but I can't deal with gankers and griefers. 

Is it really that bad?

No, it is worse. I'd know because I have been that griefing a*hole ganker. Don't let people fool you because stealth might help a bit but in the end we (a*hole gankers) will get you.

And I 2nd the "spread your credit card wide" argument. If you don't then we (see above) will win each and every time we see you. Not because we have skill but we had the money to do so. We spend most of the money we made from the game on the game which gave us an advantage that you won't beat unless you like to spend a few K a month, each month. Sure some whale beat us but then we don't see the point of spending $ 10'000 a month of our outside game money.

Never the less: Welcome to AA, happy to see a new victim.

There are entire zones where there is no killing.  You have to go into zones to get into a griefing situation.  When you know to expect it, it's not so bad.  Plus, if there was someone griefing, I just did quests in another area for a bit.

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Niburu
    prepare your wallet to buy items that allow you to bypass a great deal of RNG or just allow you a higher income of money (farm-wagon)

It's the farm hauler and you can buy the upgrade on the AH for gold - it's worth it! I upgraded my farm wagon to hauler immediately.

to the op I would not bother with a cart or a hauler unless you have a friend to always help you who has a cart too. This way if there is a road block you can leap frog. But really a cart is a waste of time because you have to deal with this road blocking busllhit.

Originally posted by DMKano

Originally posted by Talonsin

Hopefully this helps:

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?183676-Uninstalling-Unsubscribing

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?181837-How-TT6-Blocks-Bridges-%28with-DIY-Screenshots%29

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?183523-Devs-people-are-being-banned-by-the-zerg-reports

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?183670-Exploiting-using-physics

These are just from the top half of the first page on the official forums

It is a fun game to play casually or with some friends but once you invest some money into it, you will most likely wake up one morning and feel cheated.  Play for free, get to max level and then decide if its a game you think is worth your money

Official forums are the bowels of hell.

I play on Ollo west where TT6 blocks bridges - guess what with all the bridges blocked I still deliver 14 packs in 30min because like I said - only dumb people get griefed. There are alternate routes that are not blocked in every case, and yes trade wagons can go underwater.

I do agree with playing without spending a cent on the cash shop - that's what I do. Buy patron with gold - and never buy anything from the cash shop - 100% free with full benefits of subscribers

Maybe it is but noteveryone on the forums is wrong. Their are some with very ligit complaints.

• farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305

Never bought a thing on cash shop. Only times i used it is for layalty which you get if you a subscriber.

Become a subscriber and join a organized guild and you set to play the best game since 2003 !

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Wow!

Is it really that bad?

RNG crafting.  Which means you will spend about 10 hours hauling stuff around and making gold for the purpose of having a 10% chance of upgrading 1 piece of gear.  And when the gear gets high enough there is a chance the item will break or be downgraded.  Scamming is totally legal because they think its a form of pvp.  Also creating stupid blockades in PVE zones and griefing people in the PVE zones is legal as well because its a form of pvp.  They allow people to be trolls without consequence.  You can also have someone from your own faction kill you and steal your gold then that same person is protected by the guards of your faction 1 minute later.

Sad this game had so much potential but was moderated in the worse possible way you can imagine.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by filmoret

Wow!

Is it really that bad?

RNG crafting.  Which means you will spend about 10 hours hauling stuff around and making gold for the purpose of having a 10% chance of upgrading 1 piece of gear.  And when the gear gets high enough there is a chance the item will break or be downgraded.  Scamming is totally legal because they think its a form of pvp.  Also creating stupid blockades in PVE zones and griefing people in the PVE zones is legal as well because its a form of pvp.  They allow people to be trolls without consequence.  You can also have someone from your own faction kill you and steal your gold then that same person is protected by the guards of your faction 1 minute later.

Sad this game had so much potential but was moderated in the worse possible way you can imagine.

RNG is in the MMORPG genre since 30 years.

You somehow missed the news. 

Whatever the person does to "steal" your gold - which is impossible- he does in a PvP enabled zone.

Big warning messages tell you about you  leaving the safezones and enter a PvP zone.

The problem is more you greedy and want  no risk but much gold .

If you want the big gold reward take the bigger risk to enter a PvP enabled zone = makes perfectly sense.

The blocking of road seems a problem on 1 server. On my server i do several trades a day on the shortest possible route.

However , you right in that  if OP and everyone else never wish to PvP then he is wrtong in this game and he should start playing WoW on a PvE server.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

just jump in, find a guild and follow the tutorials and quest chains.

try not to lose track of your main story quest arc

do your blue salt quests as soon as theyre available and get through as many as you can before you get caught up in combat quests.

if you buy materials for blue salt quests, keep in mind people try to sell seeds at the same cost as the plants required for the quest on the auction house. Oh, you can buy the items required for the blue salt quests on the auction house.

be sure to put gear on your mount by talking to the stable hand when you get your mount.

also, on the subject of toxic communities, this isnt much better then the archeage forums so take everything with a grain of salt.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Posting here as some contrast to the others. I was a PvE player in AA for the entire time I played. So here are my recommendations:

Look before you leap re server. Some servers are heavily imbalanced so choose carefully depending on what and how you want to play. If you roll West on a server that heavily favors East, you are setting yourself up for problems.

Look before you leap re guild. And when you get into a guild, don't trust anyone for a long time unless you know them irl or know how they roll from another game. The more organized, the better.

If you don't plan to be a patron, don't bother thinking about farming or house. But if you do plan to sub then farming from the beginning quests can make you some money to eventually get a house. No patron = no house and no easy farming.

If you do trade runs for gold, plan which routes you'll use and plan your planting at the nearest public farms. Do your homework and it will reduce your stress/losses. Once you have your own farm, you can adjust your trade routes. I recommend Gweonid to Two Crowns if you roll West, as the prices are consistently higher than others and the entire route is (relatively) safe.

What everyone else said is pretty much right on.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Originally posted by farbege
    Originally posted by filmoret

Wow!

Is it really that bad?

RNG is in the MMORPG genre since 30 years.

You somehow missed the news. 

Whatever the person does to "steal" your gold - which is impossible- he does in a PvP enabled zone.

Big warning messages tell you about you  leaving the safezones and enter a PvP zone.

The problem is more you greedy and want  no risk but much gold .

If you want the big gold reward take the bigger risk to enter a PvP enabled zone = makes perfectly sense.

The blocking of road seems a problem on 1 server. On my server i do several trades a day on the shortest possible route.

However , you right in that  if OP and everyone else never wish to PvP then he is wrtong in this game and he should start playing WoW on a PvE server.

RNG crafting isn't a part of any good MMO.  And the internet hasn't even been around for 30 years.  But yes slot machines have always been around and they are designed to do one thing and that is make money and very rarely pay out.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Don't decide not to craft or farm because of "horror stories" you've heard. Decide whether to do those or not after you've tried them. If you don't worry about them while leveling, you won't have to worry about subbing while you decide whether the game is for you. If you do want to do that stuff then understand you'll need the ability to own land for farming easily (you can do some sneaky ninja farming without) and the extra labor regeneration for crafting.
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

So as the title suggests, I am going to give Archage a shot today. 

As a someone who will be a total noob, I am looking for some starting advice or tips to get the most out of the game, and get me on the path to clearing the 30 level tutorial I have heard so much about. 

From all the horror stories I don't think I will try farming or crafting. Will that severely limit gameplay for me? If I dont craft, farm, buy a house, does that mean I can't do the trade pack quests etc? 

Not sure if it will matter, but I usually sub to games. So if I enjoy the game today I will be a "patron" so if your advice would change based on being a free player vs a patron please keep that in mind in that I will most likely be a patron. 

Thanks everyone! 

When i started playing AA, i needed weeks to get to 30.

Nowadays im leaving the themepark already when i create a new char for a new farm i.e. .

The sandbox is strong in AA, but you need to learn the whole thing as i found the themepark strong as well.

So my advice:

1. subscribe Patron.

2. a guild

3. dont rush

4. enjoy what you see and always leave "the path"

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Wow!

Is it really that bad?

Its nothing more then a kill in a ego shooter.

It does not hurt for real or harm you in any way.

Its just a reason to call your friends and care for criminals, rp'wise