Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of returning

SithosSithos Member UncommonPosts: 315

So I got the email from Funcom about the new huge update and I thought to myself "Geez, I used to enjoy AO ages ago". I had been, over the last few days, thinking of what game to play for the upcoming summer and beyond.

I am highly partial to pet classes. So I was looking at Engi,MP or Crat only, as I restart from scratch.

Usually pet classes lend themselves to being great solists, and with a wife/2 kids and constant (and sometimes unannounced) AFK's through the day, these 3 seem like they would likely suit my playstyle. The class should also have the ability to keep itself alive through various means.

I have always been a damage monkey. So long as the class can dish out good chunks of damage and have somewhat a minimal downtime I'll be content.

I did browse various forums and many other AO related sites, but much of the info I found is years and years old, and not seemingly up to date.

So of the 3 I listed, which would (with all the changes over the years), be best suited to solo play, with varying AFK's through the session, able to keep itself alive, and does "good/great" damage overall?

Comments

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

I'll be subbing again soon. It's in my rotation. The game is a classic.

Oh, and for your question, Crat by miles.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • skulyskuly Member UncommonPosts: 140

If you have all expansions..bureaucrat is really strong... and I'd go as far as saying a little OP .

Sure The MP has heals but crat can put everything to sleep with its calm and gets a lot of  "add all offense/defense" and with dual pistols and duel pets you should have an easier time killing stuff.

But MP is good too.. I couldn't really stand playing Engineer after level 205. It was boring the whole time after level 100 and I pushed myself to keep playing Eng.

Processor: Intel Core I5-2320
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM
    HDD: Samsung 830 256gb SSD-SATA3
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3gb

Steam:Skuly
    Warframe:Skuly1775

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    I know they updated some of the zones graphics wise, but what about the character models? If they updated all of that and the mobs i would totally come back.
  • CiixCiix Member Posts: 13
    I'll probably be starting over also. I played a MA a while back as well as a MP. The MA was pretty easy to solo with too and also had some heals. But from what I have read most people say the Crat is the most powerful for solo and easy to get groups with later on. I also heard that it's hard to find groups as MP ... not sure if that is still the case.

Well the thing is ... people want Damage Dealers.... MP,Trader,Doc,NT,Engineer, aren't really good at DD and Advy,Fixer,Keeper/Enf can be subpar if not geared well. So I think people wanted Crats/Shade/Soldier/MA for DD. Then they took whatever they can get that isn't a low level player.

But last time I played the game was so dead that teams just take whatever they can find.

Like for ado hecks someone gets their 220 doc/enf to pocket and if they are lucky they find at least 2 other people to help kill hecklers for their alt.

With the messed up population its often about having a Pocket.

• SithosSithos Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Hmmm interesting. During my newbie adventures last few days, and asking tons of questions, I had heard that MP, while really good for the first 150 or so levels, begins to slow down after that and by 200-220 they are pretty sub par in the damage department, although the new pet (which is supposedly on par or close to engi widowmaker, but is crazy hard to self), may change this though. Engi I have heard is one of the top damage dealers at 200+, they are just a pain to get there, and rely on MP for buffs in order to self their bots.  Crats I am told can do great damage (if they charm the right mob), and can solo like nobody's business, but one mistake and boom they are dead.
    Originally posted by Sithos
    Hmmm interesting. During my newbie adventures last few days, and asking tons of questions, I had heard that MP, while really good for the first 150 or so levels, begins to slow down after that and by 200-220 they are pretty sub par in the damage department, although the new pet (which is supposedly on par or close to engi widowmaker, but is crazy hard to self), may change this though. Engi I have heard is one of the top damage dealers at 200+, they are just a pain to get there, and rely on MP for buffs in order to self their bots.  Crats I am told can do great damage (if they charm the right mob), and can solo like nobody's business, but one mistake and boom they are dead.

I think Engineers are only really good damage when you get the 220 pet.. I only got my engineer to 204 then I gave up on it..

Mp and Crat pets are really good so it kind of had me bored playing a 204 engy with a crappy bot.

The crats 175 carlita doest really good dmg and my 220 mp was more fun leveling at 150-204 then my eng was .

I heard Eng dmg isn't really that great until you get the widowmaker @ 220.

https://aoitems.com/nano/prof/engineer/