Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2-equivalent mmo game. Are there any at all?

SorrowSeerSorrowSeer Member UncommonPosts: 9

Hi.

Looking for an EQ2-equivalent mmo game.

(preferably, "Echoes of Faydwer"-time type of EQ2-equivalent mmo game)

Are there any (like, at all)?

Will gladly read your suggestions.

Comments

• FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    You need to define the question better. EQ2 was released in 2004 so there are very few (if any?) "equivalent" games. Are you asking for MMOs released around the same time as EQ2 with similar graphics? New indie MMOs that are similar? I don't think there's really anything else out there that quite has that "Echoes of Faydwer" type experience. Are you simply done with EQ2 and ready to move on, or are you just unhappy with it for some reason?
  • SeirothSeiroth Member UncommonPosts: 29

Its hard to find something quite like EverQuest 2. Very unique, fantastic game. I enjoyed my time playing it. If I were to say what I think most closely compared to EverQuest 2 if you want something new, it would be Final Fantasy XIV. I would rather play EverQuest 2 than Final Fantasy XIV, but that's me. FF XIV does have decent tradeskills like EQ2, similar sort of combat. Just way less abilities than EQ2. Think the next expansion will be bringing guild halls. Community isn't too bad. Not as good as EQ2's community last I played but it's way better than most MMOs out there. Good luck in your search. I'm currently done with MMOs and waiting for Witcher 3, which I hope will entertain me for a long time.

If you haven't tried Tera I'd give it a go too. Not like EverQuest 2 I'll admit but its a free to play MMO that I think everyone should try. I only played it for 6 months but I fell hard for the game during that brief time. Recommending an MMO is a very hard thing though.

• mmorobommorobo Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Not sure if i can help, but what about EoF did you like the best?  I played end game raiding through Destiny of Velious then quit.  Was not happy with the way they did FTP transition.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

nothing come close , but as ex-Eq2 player , i found on FFXIV my home (but i was a FFXI player too)

Eq2 class diversity is what i miss the most D: , the combat on Eq2 is a lit spammy to my taste , too many skills for no reason, wow removed lots of it in WoD, some classes atm feel wrong , but on the other hand was the "right" thing to do.

if only Eq2 did that i would glady play it again.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

its about time to return home again for me....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Try Project Gorgon...

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• SorrowSeerSorrowSeer Member UncommonPosts: 9

Thank you all for your opinions.

Seriously.

P.S. What's a "Project Gorgon"? Any of you played this?

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413

The only thing I've seen done at all differently in EQ 2 is the mood. In general, I feel EQ 2 remained true to the fantasy setting, without compromising it for humor, etc.

Everything else about the game is identical to WoW and every clone I've seen.

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Originally posted by Velifax

The only thing I've seen done at all differently in EQ 2 is the mood. In general, I feel EQ 2 remained true to the fantasy setting, without compromising it for humor, etc.

Eq2 release date : November 8 2004

WoW release date November 23 2004.

I am sure EQ2 had plenty of time to clone WoW according to those dates.

• ClywdClywd Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Eq2 was not failing at all. It just did not have the wow numbers, and then the suits decided to destroy a unique, great game that was setup in a high fantasy universe, made for adult roleplayers as target group, in order to turn it into a bad me-too copy of a game made for not so adult persons. Time has shown how well "me-too" worked out for soe (and some other "managed" studios).

Currently playing: EverQuest
    Waiting for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by HighMarshal

Its expansions had some wow copying in it but to b honest did EQ2 have minipet battles years before Wow and a few other ideas borrowed as well. 

Wow copied EQ and EQ was a sequel of the game so it is not that strange that they are pretty similar. Calling EQ2 a Wow clone though is just plain wrong as you said. 

And EQ in its turn stole a lot of it's ideas from Meridian 59 and from the D&D setting Forgotten realms.

OP: there are few games that feel like EQ2 on the market now, Wow do have a lot in common with it as stated before but I am not sure it would be an upgrade to go from one game made 2004 to another. Maybe you could try Rift, it have some things in common with EQ2 even if it also feels pretty different.

I played EQ2 for over 5 years,I am playing GW2 right now. It is not very similar games though.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

The other was sadly a core design problem that couldn't be fixed. The utterly bad game engine.

Not only it didn't look that good at all, notably a very bad management of the different materials (plastic hair, plastic armor), but it required a powerful CPU to run decently. Even nowadays, on the latest Core I7, the game still has performance issues. Add to that the massive amount of zoning, crossing a single city often required to zone several times, and you had a recipe for disaster, which of course happened, specially when the opposing game had none of those problems.

True, EQ2 always performed rather crappy and I did get better performance in AoC back in '08 than EQ2 on my computer (and AoC wasn't optimized at the time and had a lot of whining becuase poor framrate).

And how they splitted up cities like Q and freep was a disaster.

Still, I had a fun time playing the game.

• SorrowSeerSorrowSeer Member UncommonPosts: 9

Velifax
    HighMarshal
    Jean-Luc_Picard
    Clywd
    DMKano
    Loke666

Thank you, guys, for writing in this theme.

What I loved in EQ2 (EoF) - it was very complex.
    You had VERY BIG Unique and LIVE World, that you can explore (under water too).
    On PvP-server(s) you could add to this a war-time atmosphere (where you can be killed even in city). But not from your own side (unless you did duels).
    Craft was complex by nature and it covered various areas.
    Only game that could compete (that I noticed) was Vanguard. But, it alredy closed.

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265

I played a lot of EQ2 back in the stone ages, and Final Fantasy 14 is the closest version of it that I've found.

I'm not saying that it's EQ2 V2 or anything - there's a LOT of WoW influence that the 2.0 director readily admits to "borrowing" for FF14.  It doesn't have as many classes nor are they as deep as EQ2, but there is still some variation.  It certainly lacks the raiding options of EQ2 but FF14 has some great dungeon designs.  The story is a plus, given that it's a Final Fantasy title.

Still, if Everquest Next was done right, and really was the successor to EQ2, I'll be there for it.  I just have major doubts of that happening nowadays, and Final Fantasy 14 is as close as I'll get to the good old days currently IMO. 

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413

Yes, sorry, it would have been relevant to mention that I only played EQ2 after "WoWification." 

In addition, I am ignoring lore. Specifically, the combat meta is identical to WoW. At minute levels, individual combats, and meta levels, over the course of a level.

i.e. See enemy, press four buttons, click, done. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

Originally EQ2 started as a pertty hardcore game....You had to group to play and advances were very slow...After a few months Wow awas kicking EQ2s butt badly so they revamped teh game and basically came out with what felt like WoW 2.0 with different graphics to me......The game all of a sudden was soloable 1-end game and it felt like it had no soul anymore after that point....Im not really sure in fact what kind of game the OP is looking for asking for an EQ2 clone...You can EQ2 for free and even get a level 85 toon with each account (at least they were doing thsi for awhile)....Last I played was a couple of years ago and the game was prettuy much dead.