Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please explain how this game is not pay to win

14567810»

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by sgel

Why do they have leaderboards then?

Scroll up:

>>>>

In the Persistent Universe there will be no leaderboard.

In Squadron 42 there will be no leaderboard.

Therefore no measurable winners.

There are no Tiers to progress upwards, no skill levels that you automagically acquire. An Idris is not a Tier 10 tank compared to an Aurora Tier 1 tank. An Idris (small) capital ship is simply another ship class with another role than the Aurora multipurpose  single-seater all-purpose ship.

Only in the simulated Arena Commander/Battle Arena test environment there is a leaderboard, for testing purposes, to find out UBER combos that will then be nerfed ***cough cough** I mean balanced .

>>>>>

Have fun

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by Erillion

I'm surprised, being the fan that you are, you don't know that the flight model is pretty much done... other than some balancing/tweaking.

Sounds different to me reading the feedback forums (and giving feedback).  Especially the joystick control and customizing to the more complex joystick models is still a BIG issue were quite a few people from CIG are hard at work.

e.g. from one of the latest montly reports:

"This month, we’ve worked on adding more options to Control Customization. We’ve added the possibility for a player to have control of the sensitivity and deadzone of certain control inputs as well being able to import and export control settings."

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14420-Monthly-Report-December

On top of that there is a TON of balancing and tweaking going on. 

Yeah so you agree that apart from some tweeks and balancing, the flight model will remain as is.

..Cake..

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

Erillion, if you cast your eyes back a few posts you'll see I stated they could have various starter ships, not just the one. But even if it was limited to a single ship it could easily be explained as a ship granted to you for promotion from SQ42.

--> Oh, big change then. 676.845 divided by two ... A screen full of two (three ?)  types of starter ships, all having the same role. No ships with other roles in sight.  Again ... very immersive.

The game hasn't changed a lot since 0.8, yes a few features, a few modes but it's still the same crappy COD-in-space, eyes on target gets the kill that its always been, It's so far from pilot skill being what matters that it's laughable, the game has never gone past who can aim fastest and has the most guns on target. The controller situation is as bad as it ever was, with more and more people severely disappointed with the imbalance. That's after 2 years...

--> Seems like here our perception of the state of the project  is very different. IMHO a lot has changed. There are so many disappointed people ?!  .. i am sure that is why the number of backers increases by 1000-2000 every day for the last 6 months. Word of mouth about that imbalance scandal must really be spreading.

Yes I'm well aware they are making the game, you asked why they shouldn't aim higher and I said they should make the base game before taking in more money - not denying the game was being made for crying out loud.

--> Clam down, young Padawan, calm down. No need to cry out loud.

I swear that you do this purposely to take a discussion away from what it was to a more emotive one, every time things get a bit shaky you start throwing in odd comments, knee-jerking and misinterpreting stuff, and it almost seems far too coincidental.

--> Just looked back on my other recent  posts. I posted URLs with information on Kickstarter success, compared with the WoT tier system, discussed the absence of leaderboards in the Persistent Universe etc. Which of those comments did you find "odd" and "knee-jerk" ? ;-)

--> Have fun

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Yeah so you agree that apart from some tweeks and balancing, the flight model will remain as is.

[mod edit]

That's exactly what you said actually. 

It's what a CIG dev said as well.

..Cake..

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

Erillion, if you cast your eyes back a few posts you'll see I stated they could have various starter ships, not just the one. But even if it was limited to a single ship it could easily be explained as a ship granted to you for promotion from SQ42.

--> Oh, big change then. 676.845 divided by two ... A screen full of two (three ?)  types of starter ships, all having the same role. No ships with other roles in sight.  Again ... very immersive.

Who says they have to be the same role or even the same style, perhaps you have a choice. Does it somehow make more sense that someone finishing SQ42 gets an Aurora but someone else miraculously gets to fly a 890 Jump?

The game hasn't changed a lot since 0.8, yes a few features, a few modes but it's still the same crappy COD-in-space, eyes on target gets the kill that its always been, It's so far from pilot skill being what matters that it's laughable, the game has never gone past who can aim fastest and has the most guns on target. The controller situation is as bad as it ever was, with more and more people severely disappointed with the imbalance. That's after 2 years...

--> Seems like here our perception of the state of the project  is very different. IMHO a lot has changed. There are so many disappointed people ?!  .. i am sure that is why the number of backers increases by 1000-2000 every day for the last 6 months. Word of mouth about that imbalance scandal must really be spreading.

Like you say, that's your opinion. A quick cursory browse of the forums will show many of these complaints.

Yes I'm well aware they are making the game, you asked why they shouldn't aim higher and I said they should make the base game before taking in more money - not denying the game was being made for crying out loud.

--> Clam down, young Padawan, calm down. No need to cry out loud.

Yes, let's be condescending while we're at it, why not?

I swear that you do this purposely to take a discussion away from what it was to a more emotive one, every time things get a bit shaky you start throwing in odd comments, knee-jerking and misinterpreting stuff, and it almost seems far too coincidental.

--> Just looked back on my other recent  posts. I posted URLs with information on Kickstarter success, compared with the WoT tier system, discussed the absence of leaderboards in the Persistent Universe etc. Which of those comments did you find "odd" and "knee-jerk" ? ;-)

You've just quoted yourself where you behave this way, instead of responding to a point you try to make out that someone is saying something they're not. ie implying that I was saying the game wasn't being made when my point had nothing to do with that at all.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

For a game to be pay to win there has to be a game you can play and win. 

At this point it is to brag about how you will win at some time.....maybe.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Magnetia
    Originally posted by DocBrody

First of all

a game that is not even finalized and in the mid of development can´t be "pay to win" because you don´t "play" to win, you "play to test". So that is out of the way at this point.

Second

A game we know clearly about that it´s a twitch game depending on skill,

a game that won´t sell "premium ammo" or "premium weapons" or any of that stuff in a cash shop, can´t possibly be pay 2 win.

A game where the ships are viewed as classes, and you can unlock all these classes by simple game play, can not be pay 2 win.

A game where all of the equipment will be unlockable by simple gameplay, can´t be pay 2 win either.

A game that is planned as having some sort of "matchmaking" mechanics, matching you up with comparable enemies, can´t be pay 2 win either.

A game where the best ship equipment can only be acquired in game, by playing the game itself, can´t be pay 2 win either.

That is the information that we got about SC, if they WILL stick to it - we don´t know yet, but why should they break their promises. We won´t know before the final game goes live.

Conclusion, the pay 2 win allegations are utter rubbish and serve nothing but a discreditation campaign, by who ever, no one knows but I leave that up to everyone´s imagination

This times 875,000

a simple +1 would have done it, but thanks anyway .)

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

im still not sure why we even call this type of stuff " pay to win ". I like to think of it as " pay to lose " because not only are people losing out on playing and earning things in the game.

in the end they are losing out of real hard earned money for nothing more than bragging rights in a video game that might not even last a few years. then what ? we all laugh at you for spending thousands on pretty much nothing.

Pay to Lose.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

This is the single reason for I won't bother with this game, honestly. 

I understand that they need to offer incentives to get funded, and a lot of people love to pay more than others to have the coolest ship and most exclusive perks, but unfortunately that means it's not a game I'll play.

Also, for some people the business model is a secondary thing, but for me fairness and equality is the biggest thing. Would have preferred if the game was subscription based, that would have given the game a real shot at being played by me. Then again, I don't think the game will miss me while others are paying 1000's of dollars just to get some pixels put together in the shape of a cool ship, so nobody is losing anything here. 

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

im still not sure why we even call this type of stuff " pay to win ". I like to think of it as " pay to lose " because not only are people losing out on playing and earning things in the game.

in the end they are losing out of real hard earned money for nothing more than bragging rights in a video game that might not even last a few years. then what ? we all laugh at you for spending thousands on pretty much nothing.

Pay to Lose.

so true.

I only got 2 ships in the starter range and I want to work from the ground up and earn the stuff by doing PvE missions in peace, mining, hauling cargo, make profit etc. Got tempted a few times to pledge for a higher reward ship but held back and I don´t regret it

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787

Not enough Money in April?

Just sell the "Hull A-E" Concept

this series of concepts includes the biggest carrier yet announced

Hull A - $60 USD
    Hull B - $90 USD
    Hull C - $200 USD
    Hull D - $350 USD
    Hull E - $550 USD

Sales will start on Friday

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    This is getting ridiculous on many levels. Where will be the fun of progression if you already own your dream ship on day 1? What goals will you have? Why bother trading and saving money, what will you spend it on? It's a shortcut to endgame... I hope there will actually be something meaningful to do when you get there.

In Eve I always wanted to fly an Apoc. After a long time I bought plex, converted it to ISO to get and fit my dream ship. The thrill of flying it lasted an hour.
  • adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Meant to type isk lol
  • JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by adamlotus75
    Where will be the fun of progression if you already own your dream ship on day 1? What goals will you have? Why bother trading and saving money, what will you spend it on? It's a shortcut to endgame... I hope there will actually be something meaningful to do when you get there.

In Eve I always wanted to fly an Apoc. After a long time I bought plex, converted it to ISO to get and fit my dream ship. The thrill of flying it lasted an hour.

you can have all the fun of progression you want,no one forcing you to pledge for the production to proceed at that quality level

just don´t pledge, or pledge and give away the reward, like others do.

Sc backers do giveaways all the time, just for the fun of it.

And it has been said a thousand times, getting a ship hull is not the progression you think it is.

There will be dozens of progression types and goals. A ship hull is just a ship hull.