Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No failing at smithing

ARV1ARV1 Member Posts: 64

I just wanted to know what every one thinks about the trade skills and how there is no chance for you to fail in making an item as long as you have the right items to make it.

I like this idea.

check out the trade skills page to read more a bout it. http://www.blizzard.com/wow/townhall/tradeskills.shtml

If you want a free and fun mmorpg to play check out www.ogreisland.com
My char is MelkorARV feel free to ask me for some help if you need it.

Comments

• ClandestineClandestine Member UncommonPosts: 91

Personally, I like the idea. One of the things I dislike most about crafting in DAoC is the timer you have to wait for when you combine ingredients only to get to the end of the timer and discover you have failed to make the item and have possibly lost resources in the process. Now that doesn't mean that I dislike the idea of failing to make an item altogether. I think crafting should be set up so that you have to follow a strict set of rules in order to make the item correctly, and a failure to do so may result in failed item, poor quality items, and/or loss of resources.

My idea of crafting is not where you make 3,000 items over and over and build your skills. This is not realistic. The way I think crafting should work is:

1. You should get hefty XP for items crafted and you should have to make low quantities of an item to become proficient in making them.
    2. The challenge should be in finding the items first. Then you should have to go through every process a real crafter should, i.e., getting the raw materials together, firing the forge up to the correct temperature, shaping the item correctly with hammer, cooling the item properly, adding any ornamentation you may want to, etc.

I think it should take, say, 1/2 hour to make one item (besides the time it would take to find the resources) and you should be doing things all during this time such as I described above with the chance that if you do not perform the operations correctly, you may fail or damage the resources.

This produces several results:
    1. More XP gained per item.
    2. Less repetitive clicking and make 1000 items just for XP alone.
    3. Items become less popular in the world and thus more valuable.
    4. Items may be sold for more money.
    5. Crafters become more needed and valued.
    6. There is more sense of ownership and accomplishment, i.e., you spent two hours making this new sword but it is a work of art. John the Warrior is using it and will recommend you to others for fine craftsmanship. You don't have 5,000 pieces in the world, but 112 pieces that are very valuable to people.

Anyway, this is my idea. I would like to see some variation similar to this implemented in a MMORPG sometime.

• TarquethTarqueth Member UncommonPosts: 26

Clandestine, I like your outlook and ideas for crafting.  I had many crafters in DAoC and by the time I got my Weaponcrafter up to 650 I was so fed up with failing and loosing resources.  I quit crafting because of that character.. hehe.

From what I read about WoW, you will be able to buy the items (from a merchant) needed to craft but you will also be able to go out and find those items.  I really hope that, in order to make some of the higher level items, you have to go out and "hunt" or "forage" for them.  This would also make Items worth more.

I can't wait to actually get in the game and make my first item!

~Tarqueth~

~Tarqueth~

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694
    Aye, your ideas on crafting are very similar to mine.  I tried to start Forging in EverQuest, but it was too difficult to do so.  Finding the Platinum alone was a task.

I'm actually excited to start crafting in World of Warcraft, though, I will not start until I have reached the capped level.  That way money, resources, time and areas are not so difficult to come by.  image

- MMORPG.COM STAFF -

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    I think that the fact that you train in crafting and collecting makes it reasonable that there is no failure. The site did mention that some of the items to make things would need to be searched for. I enjoyed the story of a weapon crafter being offered up 4 pieces of jade to make a weapon and the weapon used 2 pieces itself.  I like this because makes crafting simplier and more fun in my opinion.

• AvincarAvincar Member Posts: 4
    I have a question.  Is there a skill level associated with your crafting?  And if so, how is it raised?  Is it through continuous crafting experience?  If so, then the crafting market will still be flooded with overproduced merchandise.  Making them no-fail just adds to the problem even though it makes crafters happier.   From the example of the Frost Tiger Blade, there is no evidence that items will be crafted piecemeal as in crafting a hilt first and having that be part of the finished product.  Wouldn't that be true to their statement "...make every item that is crafted useful so that players are not just creating items to increase their skills."  Also, what if there is no skill level involved with learning new recipes?  Could this not set the stage for "twinked" crafters?

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    Avincar, from what I saw on the pictures is that there are trainers for the crafting/collecting skills. I figure that a character gets so many points to train with each level and that will have to decide where to spend them. Some ppl will focus on crafting/collecting with some of their points and then I figure some will spend them on fighting skills alone. I know that if I am correct then I will spend some on a collecting skill at first and after I reach a certain level of proficiency will train in a crafting skill then as well.

• PsiWulf7PsiWulf7 Member Posts: 1
    The potential for awesome crafting based experiences in WoW is almost unlimited. Imagine have to enter a dangerous labrynth, fight your way through it, and then slay a powerful creature. Say some kind of dragon. Then, using a hunting/collecting skill of some kind, or just as part of the loot, you have to take dragon scale or a dragon fang/eye/heart/claw/whatever to craft powerful gear. Some kind of powerful dragon sword or dragonhide armor. That kind of system would make crafting so much more than just something you have to tolerate going through while you sit next to your computer with a book hitting your crafting hot key every 30 seconds. I'm really interested to see how this system is going to play out. It's too bad they didn't come up with a merchant class like they did in EQII. I'd definitely go for something like that.

• anti-anti- Member Posts: 5
    omg no failing is the best thing to ever happen to the dev. of WoW.  especially since failing is what i do best.  im definately going to buy this game...(looks at release)...omg r u kidding me?

You might be a redneck if you have a full set of salad bowls, and they all say Coolwhip on the side.

You might be a redneck if you have a full set of salad bowls, and they all say Coolwhip on the side.