Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Slow And Steady Wins The Enjoyment Race

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This week, Jason enlists the help of the Jedi Order to explain his approach to making MMOs feel more like fun and not work.

Read more of Jason Winter's Guild Wars 2: Slow & Steady Wins the Enjoyment Race.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

What I find Ironic about this post is the use of the quote by Einstein especially considering that GW2 is actually literally repeating the systems we've seen before. Pre HoT announcement had the grind, RNG, the use of the draconian system that closed down whole companies DR for the same excuses we've see from other developers in the past (Because Bots or something), nerfing farming to require people grind gold or buy it direct from the developers, and my personal favorite their attempts at destroying the trinity bringing about the Zerker meta which is also something we've seen in other titles out there in which similar decisions were made.

That being said, the community DOES require the highest stats from you. Just take a look at their damaged beyond repair dungeon system. How many years of players complaining to the developers are we going to tolerate in the forums before something is done about the Zerker meta.

Gone are the days in which you could join a game solo, progress solo, make new friends and join without some expectations about how your build should be. They've reinvented it and renamed it but it's still the same stuff and the same problems. 

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

Comparing the epic level of tasks and challenges to become a Jedi to..gathering mats to make a legendary is just a terribly poor attempt at trying place importance where there isn't  any.  They aren't remotely on the same level of magnitude.

I get it.  GW2's xpac is coming up and the precursor grind is part of it.  David North did a similar article not too long ago where he tried to re-market the importance of Legendaries as well, but the community laughed him off the stage. 

There is nothing epic or legendary about a Legendary.  That is, unless you find shooting rainbow unicorns and making cute "pop" noises on-use overly compelling.  Regardless, putting that shallowness of a ..skin.. beside the status of a Jedi just made me groan inside.

This isn't an article.  This is just more marketing for GW2.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    horrible comparation ... lol , and Legendaries in Gw2 are a "joke" , only the 2h sword are worth the effort , but meh....
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    The new system sounds more feasible to obtaining a legendary.  The current system is horrible, and not enjoyable at all.  I don't find spending hundreds of gold for a precursor challenging or satisfactory.  It's all about gold in GW2, and nothing else matters.  This upcoming mastery system could still be a huge grind, like for some Achievements, or the WvW system.
  • curiousbugcuriousbug Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by Telondariel

This isn't an article.  This is just more marketing for GW2.

(sigh)Yep,but I would say:This is just more marketing for [input any other game name] nowadays

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I was looking forward to hot and specializations. Now masteries (and they also said the trait remake) is just looking like another bar to grind out, no more enjoyable than an old school WoW rep grind...

We will see in the beta.
  • DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387
    When I played SWG I didn't meet many Jedi, or feel the need to be one. I preferred running the city and crafting.

• yangdudeyangdude Member UncommonPosts: 72

I have given GW2 a break since about 8-10months I think due to pure grind burn out.  Now when I log in, it feels almost like a new game and I dont know where to start.  The dailies are all different, my traits have all been reset, theres new stuff in pvp, Lions Arch is destroyed and this new area Maguuma I know nothing about.  I have, I think 8 level 80 chars but I'm wondering if I should just delete them and start afresh.  None of them have legendary gear anyway (and never will) and I went to the old level 80 boss run and no one was there?

Can you give me some advice and what I might go and check out / work on now with so much that seems different? 

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by yangdude

I have given GW2 a break since about 8-10months I think due to pure grind burn out.  Now when I log in, it feels almost like a new game and I dont know where to start.  The dailies are all different, my traits have all been reset, theres new stuff in pvp, Lions Arch is destroyed and this new area Maguuma I know nothing about.  I have, I think 8 level 80 chars but I'm wondering if I should just delete them and start afresh.  None of them have legendary gear anyway (and never will) and I went to the old level 80 boss run and no one was there?

Can you give me some advice and what I might go and check out / work on now with so much that seems different? 

If you re-roll you will have to go through the excruciating experience that is the new Trait system.  Trust me, it's horribad.  So bad, in fact, that there was a multi-thousand post protest thread (which they eventually buried) to get changes made.