Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My computer is dying

2»

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Yes if I found some place I could trust I would be very happy to get them to do it. My son wanted to get a friend to build  his new PC but my husband refused to give him the cash saying who was going to be responsible  if it ended up not working properly. The thing is unless I can trust them it would be very easy for them to cheat you and when I was in Singapore I found places you could go and pick a case with power already attached but here I won't even know where they sell this. 

My friends are mostly 60 + I myself am 54 years old and none of my friends game well if you consider Candy Crush guess they do game and I have no avenue except my son to look for people and even so my husband who is Italian works in a high stress job and he absolutely hates any problems at home. So he tells me to buy Dell because it prevents him from listening to me whining about my computer daily. If that makes me sound stupid I guess it just does.

And get this among my friends I'm the computer expert because I fix their computer problems and teach them to use it image

There was one place I found that built computers but they were the ones that gave me back the money for the laptop that failed within a day and they could not repair it so not exactly the best endorsement and here like the grocer and stuff you cannot touch the produce. In supermarkets you can. So in most places they do not let you look at things just show you pictures and you order it and if they gave me imitations how would I know ? You aren't allowed to rifle through things at all and most do not have stock they order it from catalogues.

Well I suppose you could say with Dell it would be false security but unfortunately that is my only option.

Goodness me I must be getting old I just recalled something. In 2004 when I came to Italy to Vicenza I was unable to get a PC anywhere because you needed a car to get to the big shopping complexes  so I got a custom made laptop with a Fujitsu base. There was on the day I went to collect it a fault on the screen . One of the pixels was not working and it shined. The chap refused to change it said it was an acceptable risk. It is very difficult to argue or insist when your language skills are beyond abysmal . I also recall that laptop was pretty expensive.

Chamber of Chains
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

The Alienware X51 that you're looking at is a custom, small form factor computer.  The small form factor means you're more likely to have overheating problems than with a more typical gaming desktop.  It also means that a lot of parts are custom Dell parts, and you absolutely cannot buy your own replacements from anyone other than Dell.  If you need replacement parts, you'll have to buy them from Dell, and they'll charge you an arm and a leg.  Charging double what it would cost to get the same performance part for a typical desktop form factor elsewhere wouldn't be surprising.  Upgrading it yourself will also be out of the question, and the limited heat dissipation capability of the form factor will make it just shy of physically impossible for Dell to offer upgrades, either, even if they wanted to.

If you're willing to nudge the budget upward somewhat, you can get an Alienware Aurora whose only real problem is that it's overpriced.  But they do offer an SSD, or a combination of an SSD and a hard drive, depending on how much capacity you need.  It's good to see that Dell has finally decided to offer the standard enthusiast combination with only the problem that it's overpriced after several years of all of their storage options being trivially stupid.

They also give you the option to upgrade the video card to a Radeon R9 290X--AMD's current top of the line.  That will get you graphical performance a little shy of double the GTX 960, or triple the GTX 750 Ti.  If you get an SSD/hard drive combination and an R9 290X, the price tag shows as 1735 Euros.  That's overpriced, of course, but anything you can get from Dell will be.  It will at least be a nice gaming desktop that you can do your standard gaming desktop stuff with.

It's the older Ivy Bridge-E platform, not a Haswell quad core that you'd get in a sensible modern gaming rig in that budget range.  But Dell doesn't offer sensible hardware configurations, and the main advantage of Haswell over Ivy Bridge is reduced idle power consumption--which is a huge deal in a laptop, but irrelevant to desktop use.  In particular, performance will be about the same.

The overheating that is a point I clearly overlooked. Thank you for pointing that out and I did wonder about the size and how they put stuff in.

The computer I have right now is an  Alienware Aurora too and the power consumption is pretty high. I cannot run the dishwasher and my computer at the same time, the electricity consumption is above the limit for the household and its gets cut off. Right now I have to turn off my computer to allow the dishwasher to run for 30 mins before I can switch it back on. I don't think I will get that plus the price difference between the Dell with the 750Ti and that is quite a bit and adding the monitor it will be over 2k.

Thank you Quizz I will ask them if they can give me a bigger SSD for the Dell . The Dell one the monitor is included in the price and I can ask them if I can get a slightly better card for a little more and the SSD. Right now 32 gb Dell is including in that model  is far too small for any MMORPG.

I am really sorry I wish I could be braver and build it myself but thank you for everyone's help and suggestions. Hopefully in 2 weeks I will be with a new computer.

Chamber of Chains
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by cheyane

The computer I have right now is an  Alienware Aurora too and the power consumption is pretty high. I cannot run the dishwasher and my computer at the same time, the electricity consumption is above the limit for the household and its gets cut off. Right now I have to turn off my computer to allow the dishwasher to run for 30 mins before I can switch it back on. I don't think I will get that plus the price difference between the Dell with the 750Ti and that is quite a bit and adding the monitor it will be over 2k.

That sounds like a wiring problem with your house.  Or do you live somewhere where the electricity supply is pathetic?  Gaming computers don't use very much power compared to various other household appliances unless you have something outlandish like GTX 480s in SLI.

I live in Rome Italy and the condominium I live in like others according to the energy company has household limits .When you run too many appliances and at any one point it exceeds the limit there is a breaker controlling every unit downstairs in a locked area of the condo that goes off. Not talking about the breaker in the house which if there is a short circuit might go off but one in the condominium itself. Then I have to go down and push it up again after awhile I realized I cannot run the microwave and my heater for water at the same time or the oven and my computer at the same time, the washing machine and the dishwasher together and so on. This building is also very very old.

When I first went to Sao Paulo Brazil there was a drought and that was worse. The Iguazu Falls that is shared, the current production between Argentina,Brazil and Paraguay  that year had a miserably low level of water and they limited it to a value per household and they actually cut the electricity off when you exceeded it and it would not come back on until after the next month begins so what they do to control electricity consumption in my condominium is mild compared to that. This in spite of Paraguay selling their excess energy to Brazil. By the way I loved Brazil I wanna go back there image. This happened only the first year I was there after that the water level rose again and all was well.

I think having lived in Brazil,Spain and Italy the different European languages have become jumbled up in my head and being unusually bad at languages in spite of coming from Malaysia where I was speaking 4 languages when I was little I am still terribly poor at picking up a language and very lazy according to my mother in law. So my Italian in spite of living here for quite some time is appalling. 

I recall asking my husband when he said Brazil and I went ''no Portuguese too".You had to pick the one  country in South America that does not use Spanish ?

Chamber of Chains

Wow ! Dell Italy has really cut down on their staff. They no longer offer you the choice of making an order through the phone and ask for upgrades and changes. Now you can only get what they offer through the website. Make the order there and they streamlined their process to offer very little choices compared to multitude of options they used to have as recently as 2 years ago. It is cheaper though from what I bought about 2 years back when I got my husband his computer. I would be paying less now for what I choose. 

They also provide a faster delivery now perhaps because they whole process has been streamlined so after the last reformat I noticed I have had no usb conflicts since I removed all the connections in one whole bay .As long as this problem does not spread I am going to try to hang on a bit longer before I buy the new computer.

Chamber of Chains