Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Guild Wars 2: Stronghold Open Beta Impressions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The announcement of the stronghold game type for GW2's Heart of Thorns was really exciting, and it was a real treat to give it a try during the beta yesterday.  Twitch was also busy with several great casters showing off this brand new SPvP play type, and rightfully so!  Stronghold has turned out amazing, and may be my new favorite thing to play in Guild Wars 2.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Stronghold First Impressions.

The map is just as rich as the zones in PvE.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Super fun! I hope they can get it gvg into it using Guildhalls. Buuuut probably not.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    It was indeed fun, could of been fleshed out more. You can say "beta" but you pretty much know it's "finished".
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I'm not a big fan of it. Sure, more game modes is great and all that but I'm totally underwhelmed and would rather have gotten something else. It's the least contact with other players out of all the sPvP modes. I'll probably never vote for it in the selection unless a daily is tied to it.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    i would love a more sandbox oriented world map - like the w vs w map, but one where you can gather resources, build your own keeps and cities etc....
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    i would love a more sandbox oriented world map - like the w vs w map, but one where you can gather resources, build your own keeps and cities etc....

Well, this is not a sandbox game and wasn't designed as one so your comments really don't mean anything. If you want a sandbox, play a sandbox game, GW2 was not designed as one.

• Tracho12Tracho12 Member UncommonPosts: 136
    If I wanted to play a MOBA, I'd play a MOBA.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    It was fun.  I didn't like the overall layout or theme of the map though.  This game mode has potentia, and they could even expand the npc units to be different other than archers and bombers.  I'm just glad there's another game mode besides conquest.
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by botrytis

Well, this is not a sandbox game and wasn't designed as one so your comments really don't mean anything. If you want a sandbox, play a sandbox game, GW2 was not designed as one.

why does it matter as what something is designed? nobody says you cant expand and enrich your game - nokia started out producing boots and then they adapted...i think a lot of people would like a aaa quality mmo which is like a guild wars 2 version of reign of kings :-)... i really disslike opinions - it has always been like that and thats why it stays like that - its a simple minds opinion...

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Thupli
    I'd like something like wows AV

That would be cool if it didn't turn into a PVE race like AV eventually did over the years.  But man, when that was first introduced I remember 8 hour battles of pure fun in AV.  *wipes away tear of nostalgia*

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• EzRdrEzRdr Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by botrytis

why does it matter as what something is designed? nobody says you cant expand and enrich your game - nokia started out producing boots and then they adapted...i think a lot of people would like a aaa quality mmo which is like a guild wars 2 version of reign of kings :-)... i really disslike opinions - it has always been like that and thats why it stays like that - its a simple minds opinion...

I agree a sandbox type mode in GW2 would be most awesome!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

This was my first experience with GW2 instanced PvP and I have never been more disgusted in my life. I barely played a handful of matches and my internet went down entirely! I couldn't even go online to look up if my ISP was having outages in my area.  I was enjoying this new experience and BAM! It's all over. 

Not happy.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614
    reminded me of my favorite Fort Aspenwood PVP in GW Factions, that i can use speed buffs to hurry those little skritt along. great fun map!

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• carnatucarnatu Member Posts: 2

"If you’re new to PvP , you may want to skip out on this part of the match until you feel a bit more comfortable fighting against other players. "

I don't know why this remark bothers me so much, you are in a PVP match, why would you avoid PVP for that reason? Yes, you should avoid random combat when your lord is under attack and needs defending, but not when its about a very major objective which could win you the game.