Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Elder Scrolls Online: One Year Later, Ten Times Better

Comments

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

They had me and then lost me when they locked high level advancement behind PvP.

But that's okay.  People who prefer that sort of thing deserve at least one game that serves them.  Have fun, folks!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Robsolf

They had me and then lost me when they locked high level advancement behind PvP.

But that's okay.  People who prefer that sort of thing deserve at least one game that serves them.  Have fun, folks!

What do you mean by that?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• marcmymarcmy Member UncommonPosts: 95

Not sure what you're talking about at all. Nothing is locked behind PvP. You can get all the endgame gear, etc. without ever spending a minute in Cyrodiil.

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online, Elite: Dangerous | Recently played: FFXIV, Rift, LoTRO, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Guild Wars 2 | Single player RPGs: Dragon Age Inquisition, Skyrim

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Iselin

Yeah, I am also confused. I am not veteran level yet. Still only sitting at 49 and 1/2, but I have pretty much never PvP'd at all and have no desire to. Isn't Craglorn and the Veteran dungeons high level advancement without PvP? 

Not to hijack the thread here, but along the topic of ESO and their updates...How do people feel about the Motifs being for sale on the crown store? I was shocked to see that now I can buy all the rare motifs for 5000 crowns (ex. Ancient Elf, Barbarian, Daedric, etc.) 

I'm one of the people who have trouble finding time to actually play the game and easier to make the money and spend it to get my stuff I want, but I'm not even too sure how to feel about this. Now, I don't want to go as far as yelling, "OMG, crown store is P2W now and WTH, blah, blah, blah." I just may be in the old school mentality that the motifs are something to eventually get and not be able to have it all at once by buying it. I like the idea of having to wait to get it or having to find someone who has found the motif out in the world to craft my stuff for me in order to force player interaction. It would create a higher sense of satisfaction in the end after having taken such a long journey to get said motifs.

That being said, I am going to buy them haha. Just wondering how others feel about this announcement.

Originally posted by Rukushin

Yeah, I am also confused. I am not veteran level yet. Still only sitting at 49 and 1/2, but I have pretty much never PvP'd at all and have no desire to. Isn't Craglorn and the Veteran dungeons high level advancement without PvP? 

Not to hijack the thread here, but along the topic of ESO and their updates...How do people feel about the Motifs being for sale on the crown store? I was shocked to see that now I can buy all the rare motifs for 5000 crowns (ex. Ancient Elf, Barbarian, Daedric, etc.) 

I'm one of the people who have trouble finding time to actually play the game and easier to make the money and spend it to get my stuff I want, but I'm not even too sure how to feel about this. Now, I don't want to go as far as yelling, "OMG, crown store is P2W now and WTH, blah, blah, blah." I just may be in the old school mentality that the motifs are something to eventually get and not be able to have it all at once by buying it. I like the idea of having to wait to get it or having to find someone who has found the motif out in the world to craft my stuff for me in order to force player interaction. It would create a higher sense of satisfaction in the end after having taken such a long journey to get said motifs.

That being said, I am going to buy them haha. Just wondering how others feel about this announcement.

Once you reach level 50 (AKA VR1) and finish the main story line, you'll have access to a version of the other aliance PVE zones where all the mobs have been leveled-up to your level and the only players you see there are those of your own alliance also PVEing there.

I think the other guy was confused and thought going to the other alliance areas means PVP - it doesn't.

Craglorn is theoretically for veteran ranks 10+ but it's meant to be a grouping area and anyone VR3 or 4+ should do fine there in a group.

There's a thread about the crown store and motifs in the ESO forums here...

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by marcmy

Not sure what you're talking about at all. Nothing is locked behind PvP. You can get all the endgame gear, etc. without ever spending a minute in Cyrodiil.

Seems to me that at least at launch, PvP was the only way to do the VR levels.

If that has changed or was never the case, I might consider checking the game out.

If that has changed or was never the case, I might consider checking the game out.

It was never the case. After 50 you go to a leveled-up version of the other alliance areas but you never see players from the other alliances there - only your own alliance players. It's PVE only, if you wish, from level 1 to VR14.

PVP is only in Cyrodiil and only if you want to go there... and it's still not a very efficient way to level although it can be done for those that want to do it that way.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

That's never been the case. There are many that complained that by PvP only, the advancement was too slow but PvE has always been the best way. 

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Originally posted by Rukushin

Motif's allow you to craft items with a certain look. It's only cosmetic and therefore I am fine with them being sold. 

Originally posted by NomadMorlock

That's never been the case. There are many that complained that by PvP only, the advancement was too slow but PvE has always been the best way. 

Thanks for the schooling, folks!  Looks like I might have to scrounge me up $60, soon.

• DaveyColeDaveyCole Member Posts: 85
    So they are slowly edging closer to what should have been in the game at release...but still don't have everything implemented...like the thieves guild or dark brotherhood...arguably the two most popular guilds...check. I'll pass...again.
  • verenovverenov Member UncommonPosts: 72

I played back in beta at two different times of development.  I was not impressed either time.  It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very appealing.

I just finished the "Welcome Back To Tamriel" free weekend for those that played in Beta, and I must say that I hated to see it end.  I will be getting this game down the road.  I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay, the stories, the justice system addition, the crafting, the combat, the scenery, the weather, the exploration, etc...

I can see the hard work that has been applied to make this game what it is today.  The synchronization of mouth movement with text was a welcome and necessary fix.  The game runs great as well.  I had very little lag, practically non-existent frame drop, and just a couple game crashes after extended periods of play.

I didn't make it very far in the game, so I can't comment on the rest of the world, but the beginning locations are well-done, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time.  If I had the money today, I'd pick this game up...TODAY.  Looking forward to owning this title.

Kudos to the developers.  Their hard work shows, and I believe they now have a product they can be proud of.  I'll be recommending this game to friends and family alike.

"I am handicapped...I'm psychotic."

• SunnybeachSunnybeach Member CommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by Volgore

Oh, another of these Bill Murphy reviews that one doesnt have to read to know it's overall dripping with sugar until it concludes to the usual light weighted cons and a free high score.

The game is still far from "value 10" or other slips this "review" contains.  Even fans of the game admit that there are still major issues.

It's just that reviews should be done by someone who is actually able to spot a flaw in a product and not be shy to tell about it - not by someone who simply loves everything about every game (as long as it's coming from a top dog company *cough*) and shows just that in about every other of his "reviews". But then... $$$... we get it.

I have to agree with this. What Mr. Murphy wrote is not so much of a review as is typical PR statement of someone who spent an hour or two playing and the rest counting bills.

• ncbwilsonncbwilson Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I'd try it again but I'm scared of the 60g download just to get back into it.
  • corvascorvas Member UncommonPosts: 151

Originally posted by Mikeha

Originally posted by Amjoco

You said I am looking for a game that I have to form a party. That's not what I am looking for. When I say designed around grouping I mean that the best rewards for playing should come from being in group with other players but you can still do just fine alone.

I look at mmos how I look at movies like Lord Of The Rings. I want to band together with other people on the journey just like they did.

This is why I cant get into these types of games no matter how much I try.

So don't. The alternative and what you described about Lineage is the other type of MMO that comes mostly from Asia - the grinder. I can't get into those.

And about rewards... four people beat-up a bear.... one guy beats up a bear... who should get the most rewards?

I have my own unique schedule that let's me play games at specific times. Grouping and doing group content is a lot of fun and I do that when my schedule coincides with those who I group with or sometimes just PUG with whoever. But as it applies to the times I'm online, I find myself soloing the vast majority of the time.

I don't think I'm unique in that respect. I think the majority of us do it that way. So I appreciate a large variety of interesting solo content that isn't just finding a a spawn spot that gives me lots of XP or lots of loot. I can only take grinding for a short period of time but I can follow story lines--especially if they're engaging stories a hell of a lot longer.

To each their own but I find cheap grindfests the worst type of MMO there is.

Guess I hit a nerve.

I feel that cheap themeparks are the worst type. That's why they all fail and go Free To Play soon afther release. image

So why did you give Lineage 2 as an example? It's a themepark game and from what I understand is now f2p.

Lineage 2 is not a themepark and its not a sandbox either. Its one of those games that fall in the middle. You have to play it to understand and I bet the guy that's talking about it cant even tell me anything about it.

I used Lineage 2 as an example to show what I mean about grouping. No where did I say anything about wanting grind.

Lineage 2 released in 2003, peaked at 2.5 million subs as a pay to play mmo. It went 8 years as a pay to play mmo before going free to play. The game got old and went free to play to stay alive. I see nothing wrong with older titles going free but when a new game releases as a sub mmo and a few months later it goes free then something is wrong.

Lol. You look up grindfest in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of Lineage and Lineage 2... you don't have to mention it, we already know.

Think this would prove your point aswell, look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grinding_%28video_gaming%29

EDITED: btw, i think this will sum it up aswell for Lineage series "Grinding is a controversial subject among players. Many do not enjoy it, and disparage it as a symptom of poor or uninspired game design." which is a quote on the same wiki

• myblackboxmyblackbox Member Posts: 3
    I don't think I could ever give this game another try.  It was such a huge let down and I put in at least 200+ hours on it before giving up.  Unless I'm completely desperate (which I currently am not) I might give it another chance...
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by myblackbox
    I don't think I could ever give this game another try.  It was such a huge let down and I put in at least 200+ hours on it before giving up.  Unless I'm completely desperate (which I currently am not) I might give it another chance...

Different strokes for different folks. ESO is easily the best mmorpg on the market for my money.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by Pratt2112
    1) It doesn't run on the HERO Engine. It's running on a custom engine they developed in-house. They prototyped on the HERO Engine. The final game is their own tech. Seriously, 5 minutes on Google - if that - would yield that information.

You obviously never developed a game or even used a game engine before. You are a gamer like most of the casuals here on mmorpg. Unfortunately like many others here you have taken what some PR guy like "Matt Furer" said 3 years ago, about making their own side client and server technology to support the one big server, and you're assuming that they crafted their own engine from scratch. Do you not understand what client software/server is over what a an actual Game Engine SDK is? A game engine is not a "client" A client is the world editor, script and the tools the game engine u is provided with. Like the Unity 5 SDK that comes with the client and tools. Zenimax have never made their own game engine. People who believe that are social media sheep who assume everything from what they are reading, making up their own conclusions what the person means without knowing the facts. (Kind of like Fox News viewers) They licensed the engine so they could re-code and re-write the client and the tools, make new ui for the client so it fit their specific needs for the project for the developers and world artists who I might add were strait out of frikking college with barley even 3 years work experience...

The Elderscrolls Online uses a modified and updated Havok that is powered by the Hero Engine. They made the game using Hero Engine whilst making their own client/server tech. The development on ESO Zenimax used a prototype of just the Hero Engine for the blueprint itself but what you and other "players" like baphamet who sits and plays EQ all day but have never developed a game in his life here on mmorpg but spreads so much misinformation because you believe everything you read on the internet without actually understanding how development works or how game engines clients and tools are modified by developers to suit their projects. You don't seem to grasp is that they never changed over to a new in house engine. They never crafted their own engine from scratch.

All Matt Furer said was that they redid their own client and made their own server tools. But a bunch of stupid gamers assumed "Oh that must mean they are making there own engine!" Zenimax PR Matt Firor made that post years ago because a lot of people were complaining about the Hero Engine. They also did it to make nieve gamers like you too believe that somehow they magically later on they were going to make up their own engine behind closed doors and ESO no longer would use the Hero Engine. Wrong. The game uses the Havok physics engine but still uses the Hero Engine (That uses a heavyly modified client and server tools) to support it. The Hero Engine is licensed to Zenimax for a reason. ESO is powered by the Havok and Hero for a reason.

PS: Please MMORPG. I miss the old MMORPG were this site had reputable reviewers and developers. Had all kinds of differen't types of gamers were we could share ideas. Not just a bunch of hipster kids talking about Hello Kitty Online and spreading nonsense like this was gamespot.com

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by trash656
    1) It doesn't run on the HERO Engine. It's running on a custom engine they developed in-house. They prototyped on the HERO Engine. The final game is their own tech. Seriously, 5 minutes on Google - if that - would yield that information.

You obviously never developed a game or even used a game engine before. You are a gamer like most of the casuals here on mmorpg. Unfortunately like many others here you have taken what some PR guy like "Matt Furer" said 3 years ago, about making their own side client and server technology to support the one big server, and you're assuming that they crafted their own engine from scratch. Do you not understand what client software/server is over what a an actual Game Engine SDK is? A game engine is not a "client" A client is the world editor, script and the tools the game engine u is provided with. Like the Unity 5 SDK that comes with the client and tools. Zenimax have never made their own game engine. People who believe that are social media sheep who assume everything from what they are reading, making up their own conclusions what the person means without knowing the facts. (Kind of like Fox News viewers) They licensed the engine so they could re-code and re-write the client and the tools, make new ui for the client so it fit their specific needs for the project for the developers and world artists who I might add were strait out of frikking college with barley even 3 years work experience...

The Elderscrolls Online uses a modified and updated Havok that is powered by the Hero Engine. They made the game using Hero Engine whilst making their own client/server tech. The development on ESO Zenimax used a prototype of just the Hero Engine for the blueprint itself but what you and other "players" like baphamet who sits and plays EQ all day but have never developed a game in his life here on mmorpg but spreads so much misinformation because you believe everything you read on the internet without actually understanding how development works or how game engines clients and tools are modified by developers to suit their projects. You don't seem to grasp is that they never changed over to a new in house engine. They never crafted their own engine from scratch.

All Matt Furer said was that they redid their own client and made their own server tools. But a bunch of stupid gamers assumed "Oh that must mean they are making there own engine!" Zenimax PR Matt Firor made that post years ago because a lot of people were complaining about the Hero Engine. They also did it to make nieve gamers like you too believe that somehow they magically later on they were going to make up their own engine behind closed doors and ESO no longer would use the Hero Engine. Wrong. The game uses the Havok physics engine but still uses the Hero Engine (That uses a heavyly modified client and server tools) to support it. The Hero Engine is licensed to Zenimax for a reason. ESO is powered by the Havok and Hero for a reason.

PS: Please MMORPG. I miss the old MMORPG were this site had reputable reviewers and developers. Had all kinds of differen't types of gamers were we could share ideas. Not just a bunch of hipster kids talking about Hello Kitty Online and spreading nonsense like this was gamespot.com

Interesting argument, but as Zenimax have themselves stated that the game does not use the Hero Engine, its hard to see where you are arguing from, as for the Havok engine, that is something that they have stated, that the engine was also used in Skyrim is probably also a deciding factor. But if you are in any Doubt, there is a list of games that use the Hero Engine, a very very short list btw, funnily enough, TESO is not on it. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeroEngine

The only time the hero engine was used was during initial development, while the game engine was still being created, they had to use something and i guess waiting for their own engine to be developed would have wasted too much time;

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx

but this is an old rehashed tale, what point there is in people still trying to claim the game uses hero engine just doesn't make any sense. Besides, for the PVP in TESO, there Hero Engine would not have been a good mix anyway, certainly the battles would have involved much smaller numbers if they had image

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Whats the point?

All that matters is does the game engine play well and does it look good - and its absolutely gorgeous at high fps.  The only issue appears to be pvp in certain scenarios. 

"No hero engine, the engine used in ESO is actually the Havoc engine, but they both begin with H so maybe thats where you get confused image"

PS they never said they are not using the havoc engine.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Bladestrom

Whats the point?

All that matters is does the game engine play well and does it look good - and its absolutely gorgeous at high fps.  The only issue appears to be pvp in certain scenarios. 

"No hero engine, the engine used in ESO is actually the Havoc engine, but they both begin with H so maybe thats where you get confused image"

PS they never said they are not using the havoc engine.

I think his point was just to insult a couple of chosen targets as "social media sheep" and drop his nickname (which he obviously believes is so clever it's worth misspelling twice as "Furer") for Matt Firor on us.

But like you say, the code that underlies what we experience as the game (which is certainly a mix of some code bought and used as is, some modified, and some created in house) works just fine,

The funny thing is that both sides of the "Is it Hero?" debate are buying into the idea that Hero sucks -- it doesn't. What SWTOR did with HERO did have some suck (and lots of hysterical exaggeration) to it... and they never could figure out a way to handle large PVP battles.

It's like giving a canvas and a bottle of yellow paint to a monkey, looking at the canvas after the monkey is done with it and coming to the conclusion that yellow sucks.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• irongamerirongamer Member UncommonPosts: 27

Nice review and pretty much spot on for my gaming tastes.  I wrote the game off at beta as a steam pile of goo.  Picked it up this month.  Just hit v1 and still enjoying the game.  The game is much better than at release.

In fact I'd put the combat feedback / contact as one of the best on the market now.  That is, most moves feel like they hit (the bow is still lacking in this department).  The combat feel is not as crazy as say Vindictus but loads better than GW 2 and I'd say even better than Tera.  Just my personal take on the combat though.  Judge for yourself.

The studio has done a pretty good job at bring this title up to a game worth playing.

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469

Once the open world pvp portion of the justice system is in place, this will be the game to play.

Mark my words in stone tablets & base a religion off of it.

-Chuckles
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Damn I need to try this game! As a story lover, ofc I should!

How's it for story?

The overall story is ok but rather grand as always.  All the little stories you come across are better than average in my book.  I find myself interested in them more than other mmos.  That might because it is voiced or that I care a about TES lore more than other games.  Some stories are funny, some well done, and others are pretty cliche.   Overall though I'm enjoying it more than most.

Originally posted by KaitarBesh

Seriously? The game is the same core game it was in beta (when I first played) and at launch, and in between. They changed the veteran/champion system and did a bit of bug-fixing and balancing. And that's it. The game itself is still as shallow and limited a themepark as they come. The world isn't open, half of the zones are gated behind questlines (so much for exploration and adventure) and the quests are absolutely ridiculous. Ghosts pop out of nowhere and ask for mundane things. Peek-a-boo NPCs in dungeons doing the same motions over and over. Bread crumb trails to the quest objectives. Small zones with all the mobs for quests right alongside the road. "Exploration" is hand-holding nonsense.

I had high, high hopes for a TES MMO, but this game is one of -the- most soulless I have ever played. It's very, very apparent to me it's a cash grab and not much else at all.

So even if it IS ten times better now? 0 x 10 still = 0.

I find the combat vastly changed and that is always a primary attribute for me in an mmo because it is the most repeated task.

I agree that there isn't anything different exploration wise.  The presentation of the content is pretty much always the same as you say, a ghost showing up or a journal laying at the entrance of a delve.  However, I must admit I do like finding chests even though they are basically resource nodes.

However, after going back and playing Skyrim... it isn't much different really.  The same can be said for GW 2 where you just start doing something, it all starts feeling the same.  WoW's quest hubs back in the day all felt the same after a while.  I agree that they could have mixed it up a bit more but it does no worse than most of the others.

I agree that it was a cash grab when released.  The combat changes drew me back after I wrote the game off.   After 300+ hours of Skyrim I'm enjoying ESO for a change.  Worth it for me now that there is no monthly fee.