Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to this game ?

HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
They added mod 6 and now the combat difficulty is jacked up for everyone. People are saying you can no longer solo in this game. I remember the combat being kind of fun. But now you go into a level 60 zone and all the mobs are level 71. So they raise level cap to 70 but didn't add a level 70 zone for it. That just seems lazy as heck to me.

Comments

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

This has been my kinda "pass time" game... I enjoy a lot of aspects of it and when you don't take it too seriously it can be pretty fun, so long as you are not put off by the onslaught of lockboxes.

However that being said, Mod 6 is horrible... It is nothing but repeatable quests... Most of the new zones you have to do a series of these "hourly" (Yes Hourly... Apparently dailys are so last week) quests most of which are very grindy (but not really)

The kicker is, you can only accept 4 hourly quests at a time, complete them and grab 4 more, you need to do 16 "to progress" but the stupid mechanic won't allow you to get 16 at once... Lame barrier mechanics.

Just like most expansions, your epic gear is now shit compared to the green trash/quest loot.

The progress curve is pretty straight forward.... You are gaining levels at a reasonable pace however it just feel far worse and tedious than it actually is due to the new quest mechanic they introduced.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• lizutek91lizutek91 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    I like it.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    the good thing is that paladin is a tank healer ,i would loved a healer dps or tank dps but i guess that way more ppl will play those roles .....
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

What happened is that, in addition to the level cap increase, they raised the level of the endgame content.  So content that used to be fighting level 60-61 mobs is now instead fighting level 71-73 mobs.  And those mobs also hit much harder, to scale against the vastly more powerful gear that you get in the expansion.

So what did people do?  Well, of course they took their pre-expansion gear that is now inferior to random greens (the lowest quality of gear above level 50 or so) that drop all over the place, and as level 60 characters, immediately tried to solo level 73 mobs.  And failed miserably.  So they went to the forums to complain about how unfair this was.  No really; I'm not making this up.  If you're level 61, the new level 61 content is very soloable, outside of a handful of group events.

As for the repeatable quests, yes, you can repeat them.  But you don't have to.  You'll probably level past the "repeatable" quests before you do them all even once, unless you want to take the time to be completionist.  The problem of sorts is that the quest hub has 18 repeatable quests, you have to do 16 to move on to the next part of the zone (which could mean doing fewer than 16 distinct quests if you do some of them multiple times), but only nine are available each hour, of which you can only carry four at a time.  So if you've finished the nine quests for an hour, you can't do any more until the start of the next hour.

Originally posted by Skuall
    i would loved a healer dps

That would be the devoted cleric.

• Shifty48Shifty48 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I,m an old MMO player, and have played loads over the years.I loved this game, as to me it brought back the great forgotten realms like Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.It was a sad day when Wizards Of the Coast, and PWE along with Cryptic bought the rights, and turned into a money cow, and ruined it.
    They sacked there mod 5 devs brought in new guys added mod 6 with loads of bugs.
    The Paladin is good, except it is really a cleric.

Get into a dungeon like me at at lvl 60, and get killed with 2 hits, and thats not the boss, but wolves, or henchmen.
    I was doing Dread Ring, and Shandara, but now cant go there, as I just get annihilated, so I have to redo stuff I have already done.
    Just think these devs have no idea what makes D&D anymore.
    God forbid if you go on there forums, and criticize there devs,as they close it, and it,s wiped.
    Dont get me wrong it is a really beautiful game, and could have been so much more.
    Time for me to move on.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

This sounds more like an advertisement to why designs like Wow/FFXIV are just bad.Content catered to gear is just all around bad,i prefer gear to be sort of meaningless to the win factor,i prefer use of your brain and skills/abilities to be the main deciding factor.

All games are leaning towards this design ,even my FFXI that used to not care about gear at all,i don't like this direction one bit.These designs are so poor as well because it removes the solo/group factor.It is still like ffxiv/wow ,grab your dailies and repeat nothing else matters.

I MUCH prefer freedom of choice,if i am out killing 8 bears, i want the choice to just say i am bored,i am not finishing this quest,i am going over there to fight Tigers.However when your xp is bound to questing,you have no choice,you are forced  to continue grinding quests and almost ALWAYS in a linear fashion.

Would it make it better if games started to let you decide how many Bears you want to kill?Nope  because you might as well allow players to get proper xp for killing then.

There is ONLY one positive out of questing,it sort of limits botting,however it did not stop Lineage players from using bots that actually went back and forth to npc's,albeit only the same npc back n forth,where as questing makes you go to a different npc...usually.This idea also ties into limiting how many you can log,if unlimited then again botting is back in play.

However i do NOT believe in designing a game around botting,that is a win/lose fail.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Shifty48
    I,m an old MMO player, and have played loads over the years.I loved this game, as to me it brought back the great forgotten realms like Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.It was a sad day when Wizards Of the Coast, and PWE along with Cryptic bought the rights, and turned into a money cow, and ruined it.
    They sacked there mod 5 devs brought in new guys added mod 6 with loads of bugs.
    The Paladin is good, except it is really a cleric.

Get into a dungeon like me at at lvl 60, and get killed with 2 hits, and thats not the boss, but wolves, or henchmen.
    I was doing Dread Ring, and Shandara, but now cant go there, as I just get annihilated, so I have to redo stuff I have already done.
    Just think these devs have no idea what makes D&D anymore.
    God forbid if you go on there forums, and criticize there devs,as they close it, and it,s wiped.
    Dont get me wrong it is a really beautiful game, and could have been so much more.
    Time for me to move on.

You should go back and read Quizz's explanation. 

Those areas are now level 70 areas.  They were changed because they were endgame content, and therefore would be made obsolete if left at level 60.  Who would grind dailies for level 60 black ice armor when they're gonna be level 70 in a couple weeks?

To continue, you could run any of the normal game content that you haven't completed, or go to the new area, where the 60-70 content is.

If Quiz hadn't explained it, I probably would have gotten flattened out a few times myself before I figured it out.  But there is a perfectly good reason behind the change.

• Shifty48Shifty48 Member UncommonPosts: 24

Yep I realize that, but that's just bad programming on the companies part, as they could have made nice new area's for lvl 70s.

• DrakadenDrakaden Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by Wighty

This has been my kinda "pass time" game... I enjoy a lot of aspects of it and when you don't take it too seriously it can be pretty fun, so long as you are not put off by the onslaught of lockboxes.

However that being said, Mod 6 is horrible... It is nothing but repeatable quests... Most of the new zones you have to do a series of these "hourly" (Yes Hourly... Apparently dailys are so last week) quests most of which are very grindy (but not really)

The kicker is, you can only accept 4 hourly quests at a time, complete them and grab 4 more, you need to do 16 "to progress" but the stupid mechanic won't allow you to get 16 at once... Lame barrier mechanics.

Just like most expansions, your epic gear is now shit compared to the green trash/quest loot.

The progress curve is pretty straight forward.... You are gaining levels at a reasonable pace however it just feel far worse and tedious than it actually is due to the new quest mechanic they introduced.

This exactly, that game went from very fun to "just an occasional time waster" to me as well, it's futile to grind for gear in this game, as they keep rendering them more and more obsolete as they go, and PvP is not a good thing in this case, if anything it will make most players depressed due to the huge gear imbalances.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Yep I realize that, but that's just bad programming on the companies part, as they could have made nice new area's for lvl 70s.

Well... that's what they did several times for level 60's.  I haven't had the chance to play the new xpac yet, but my basic understanding is that the new area is kinda a hybrid of leveling and lvl 70 daily stuff.  I could be wrong.

• damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445
    So all the old 60 endgame content is now lvl 70 and the gear that people farmed to face the difficutly of the old  60 endgame is now useless in said content? Now one must go into the new content, level and farm greens to then go back and play the old 60 stuff that is now 70? Surely not.....
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I never finished up wailing caverns which is level 59-60 content. So i went back to quest there and i got two new levels.  I was doing that old level 60 content before the change. Took a few months off and got surprised when on screen came up that i was boost to level 70. You get murdered doing that end game stuff at 60.

Yeah, it would be nice if they had the budget to add a ton more content.  The same is true of every single theme park ever made, and most of the sandboxes, too.  But they didn't, so they did the best they could on a more limited budget.  And I think the choices they made on how to raise the cap were sensible given their constraints.

• AdawahiAdawahi Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Yeah, it would be nice if they had the budget to add a ton more content.  The same is true of every single theme park ever made, and most of the sandboxes, too.  But they didn't, so they did the best they could on a more limited budget.  And I think the choices they made on how to raise the cap were sensible given their constraints.

After all the grinding on the new hourly stuff, you get blue items.  There is no slots on them for enchantments and you HAVE to have a group to go into Dread Ring and Shandahar and especially Ice Wind Dale.  I had level 70 gear with level 6 enchants and could not go into those areas with out being killed in 2 hits.  I am not willing to pay to get the ad to get refinements to get legendary enchants.  The levels that they boosted the npcs to is ridiculous.  This game is no longer fun.  You can't find groups even with looking for group.  The auto match going in to dungeons is alright.  The pally's are the only class that can go into those areas and have a chance.  I have a CW that was geared out at 60 but at 70 she can't hit the broad side of a barn.  The npcs look at her and she dies.  The same goes for my hunter and SW.  They seem to want this game to be group play only especially in the hourly areas and old level 60 areas.  I am so pissed with the new levels of the npcs that I quit the game.  Unless they get stuff fixed it is not worth the headaches.

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289

The thing about the old campaign areas that irks me to death is that the bar has been raised by 10 levels from lvl 60 to lvl 70, yet the rewards you get from them are not lvl 70.  Most of the time you get junk as drops as well as from running the mini-dungeons in those areas.  The campaign vendors still sell all the inferior lvl 60 epic gear in lvl 70 zones!!!  WHAT?! 

Where is a new player (who reaches lvl cap) supposed to get the gear to be viable in these zones?  The only way I know is to run T1 dungeons, which is ridiculous because normally you would need to grind out campaign zones to be able to acquire gear to prepare for T1's.  A new player to NWO post M6 will not have multiple alts that have completed the four boons from Sharandar or Dredring for the quest to unlock additional class artifacts.  Most likely they will only have one Artifact slotted on their character sheet, so they are SoL in my book because they got a big fat dry shaft that can only be lubricated by pumping money into it.

I love the combat just as much as everyone else who has enjoyed playing NWO but this game has fallen off a cliff since M6.  Nothing new came from M6, just a few regurgitated zones, a slew of bugs, and server instability that would make your eyes bleed.  All of which had been reported by players during M6 beta phase one the PTS.  I like a challenge when I go into the T1+ content, but when you are also getting a similar challenge during casual content in a campaign zone is just aggravating and annoying to say the least.

Originally posted by booniedog96

A new player to NWO post M6 will not have multiple alts that have completed the four boons from Sharandar or Dredring for the quest to unlock additional class artifacts.

You can go to Icewind Dale and pick up The Vault of the Nine quest immediately upon reaching level 60.  The requirement to have done Sharandar or Dread Ring and have 10k gearscore is gone.  That said, the quest does require fighting level 70 mobs, so it's not likely to go well for you if you try immediately upon hitting 60.