Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some ad script is really messing with MMORPG.com...please fix!

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Gesus...you've got ads that are totally messing with the website.  No matter what I run whether it is Chrome or FireFox I get the same error and it is really slowing down your website.  It sometimes causes it to hang up and crash.

https://www.gstatic.com/swiffy/v7.1.1/runtime.js:147

Please fix this!   Thanks!

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Not sure, but I think it's flash related somehow. I experience a lot of lag from time to time on this site because of the flash ads. By now I've installed a plugin for Firefox that allows me to turn of flash on a wimp and thus remove all lag instantly. Guess my lag might end up in a crashing script as well somewhere ;-)
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Why not just use ABP or similar addon? The only adds i see are the ones that frame the comments section. (Currently mainly Blackrock Mountain Hearthstone ad)

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    Why not just use ABP or similar addon? The only adds i see are the ones that frame the comments section. (Currently mainly Blackrock Mountain Hearthstone ad)

Not using because the site lives from ads. And blocking them would mean I'm not 'giving my money' from the impressions of the ads. I only remove what really bugs me and that is flash ;-)

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Reizla

Not using because the site lives from ads. And blocking them would mean I'm not 'giving my money' from the impressions of the ads. I only remove what really bugs me and that is flash ;-)

I still see the adds at the top that frame the comment section so its not like you're 100% blitzing all ads. You can, and i certainly could if i wanted to but i don't find those banner ads that frame the comment section that annoying so i leave them.

Also if its a decision between the site not working properly like for OP or using ABP....yea its a no brainer.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Will fwd this along. Thanks.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Thanks, man! We appreciate it. If you love the site, please consider adding us to your whitelist. :)

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Hi Teala,

Thank you for the report.  Can you confirm that the error you are getting is "https://www.gstatic.com/swiffy/v7.1.1/runtime.js:147"?

That URL is not associated with our ad servers at all (we use Google DFP to serve ads).  Can you verify if you see it when a particular banner is visible or does it happen with any ads on the page?

Edit: I have searched around and it looks like Google operates the gstatic.com domain.  I am not sure how much we can do about this if the error is taking place within the Google hosted script.  Again, if you can narrow down the issues you are seeing to any particular ad that is on the page every time it happens (I know this can be tough because some ads are always on page).

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by MikeB

Thanks, man! We appreciate it. If you love the site, please consider adding us to your whitelist. :)

Remember I think it was about 20 months ago, there was what you guys said, something from on of the ads that would cause visitors computers to start downloading something?  That is why I have to protect my system.   For me, my security comes before your ad revenue.

IIRC, here is a link to remind you:  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/395295/Malware.html

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Do not know why it was hanging up yesterday accept for that particular URL script...kept showing up in an error massage.  It appeared in Chrome and FireFox.   Today however, it seems to be gone.   ::shrugs::  I dunno...then again I am not getting the same ads on website as I was yesterday.    So I dunno. 
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

I had to resort to using ABP on MMORPG.com a few weeks ago as the site would lag/crash my browser (FF). No errors, just cause it to hang and go non-responding. stopped instantly allowing ABP.

Disabled it again a week ago and things seem to be ok again.

• BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425

It's no surprise when your browser gets hammered with 20+ add ware scripts. I will not disable my blockers for this site after i have seen this: