Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your all-time favorite MMORPG game?

Comments

• CiixCiix Member Posts: 13
    pve - EQ1
    pvp - Planetside 1, but it's a MMOFPS so I guess Warhammer Online
  • asmadeousasmadeous Member Posts: 70
    Ragnarok Online

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180

PVE: Vanguard, had everything, including too many bugs :(

PVP: GW1/WAR

• itssantositssantos Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Asheron's Call.   Plenty to do, PvP was great, solid house system and for the most part you can just go out and explore.
  • KaledrenKaledren Member UncommonPosts: 312
    The one I am currently playing again pretty heavily..EQ1.
  • monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Favorite boils down to how long I spent playing the game. In that case it would be WoW hands down. 7 years of raiding and MMO fun. Second to that would be GW2. Its the only game other than WoW where I've been able to put down roots.
  • AlterVerseIraAlterVerseIra Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Madimorga
    Originally posted by AlterVerseIra

Just wanted to throw our hat in the ring as your next favorite MMORPG.  We're a VR-focused pre-kickstarter game still in development featuring both crafts and quests.  The video above is our latest trailer, and shows off how it all works.

This board has been a great resource for ideas and comments, so don't be shy about letting us know what you think. Thanks!

I'll tell you what I think:

I think it has promise.  If you don't turn it into a gankfest open world pvp game where only big guilds have fun and everyone else scurries around like rats under their boots.

And I'll tell you what I think too:

"pre-kickstarter" is one keyword. Then comes "FFA PvP". And then, the post where the developers say they got FFA PvP right where everybody else failed.

And then the graphics, which would have been decent 10 years ago, and the animations, which would have been decent 15 years ago.

My conclusion: I hope you prove me wrong, but all what I see for now is another indie "UO" successor wannabe which will end the same way all other indie "UO" successor wannabes ended.

How I could see you succeed ?

- If you ever get some kickstarter money, hire a good animator. A good animator can make bad graphics look decent. Animations, though, kill it all when they are bad.

- Don't be stubborn like the devs of those other failed games. Add a way to avoid PvP. And I mean, avoid it completely. If it has to be a PvE server or a mirror world without PvP, do it. It will at least double your potential customer base, if not more. Seems to me that if you include everything that is promised (which is another story...), there will be way enough things to do for the PvE sandbox amateurs to not force them into a PvP gankfest.

Anyway, good luck.

Thanks for the feedback, and good eye! Animations and graphics are at the top of the list of improvements we plan to implement with our Kickstarter money. But because it’s created for VR, we have to be very careful about going too next-gen on the graphics because the Rift has the equivalent of two monitors.

PvP will be limited to PvP levels. There will be plenty of them, but also plenty of Neutral Zones and levels with no PvP.

We've got more details, including how to join The 3000, over at http://www.alterverse.com

• IamTuckIamTuck Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I'm going to say FFXI. To this day I have never had a gaming experience as i did when FFXI launch and during its early years.
  • DevilSephDevilSeph Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Worl of Warcraft vanilla, which was not only the best mmo but best game ever made. Best company Blizzard  but i still hate them for not making world of starcraft
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Madimorga

Just wanted to throw our hat in the ring as your next favorite MMORPG.  We're a VR-focused pre-kickstarter game still in development featuring both crafts and quests.  The video above is our latest trailer, and shows off how it all works.

This board has been a great resource for ideas and comments, so don't be shy about letting us know what you think. Thanks!

I'll tell you what I think:

I think it has promise.  If you don't turn it into a gankfest open world pvp game where only big guilds have fun and everyone else scurries around like rats under their boots.

And I'll tell you what I think too:

"pre-kickstarter" is one keyword. Then comes "FFA PvP". And then, the post where the developers say they got FFA PvP right where everybody else failed.

And then the graphics, which would have been decent 10 years ago, and the animations, which would have been decent 15 years ago.

My conclusion: I hope you prove me wrong, but all what I see for now is another indie "UO" successor wannabe which will end the same way all other indie "UO" successor wannabes ended.

How I could see you succeed ?

- If you ever get some kickstarter money, hire a good animator. A good animator can make bad graphics look decent. Animations, though, kill it all when they are bad.

- Don't be stubborn like the devs of those other failed games. Add a way to avoid PvP. And I mean, avoid it completely. If it has to be a PvE server or a mirror world without PvP, do it. It will at least double your potential customer base, if not more. Seems to me that if you include everything that is promised (which is another story...), there will be way enough things to do for the PvE sandbox amateurs to not force them into a PvP gankfest.

Anyway, good luck.

Thanks for the feedback, and good eye! Animations and graphics are at the top of the list of improvements we plan to implement with our Kickstarter money. But because it’s created for VR, we have to be very careful about going too next-gen on the graphics because the Rift has the equivalent of two monitors.

PvP will be limited to PvP levels. There will be plenty of them, but also plenty of Neutral Zones and levels with no PvP.

We've got more details, including how to join The 3000, over at http://www.alterverse.com

If you must include PvP just know that certain people will never play it, no matter how good it is.  I suggest you heed the poster who said to make a PvE server having PvE levels still implies there are forced PvP.  Create an alternate ruleset server because PvP (anything) is something I won't even bother to try.  It isn't hard and will help bring in people like me who detest any and all forms of PvP.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    1. UO, WoW, EQ then AC. Didn't get much into SwG my as my computer sucked or it was badly optimized.
  • AlterVerseIraAlterVerseIra Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 14

If you must include PvP just know that certain people will never play it, no matter how good it is.  I suggest you heed the poster who said to make a PvE server having PvE levels still implies there are forced PvP.  Create an alternate ruleset server because PvP (anything) is something I won't even bother to try.  It isn't hard and will help bring in people like me who detest any and all forms of PvP.

What do you mean by forced pvp?  There will be some servers where it’s totally PvP, some where it’s PvE, some where it’s Quest only and others where battling isn’t even allowed.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635

1. UO

2. EVE

3. WoW edit- Vanilla Only

4. SWG

5. Lineage

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

1 - UO

2 - Warhammer Age of Reckoning 

• LordOfPitLordOfPit Member UncommonPosts: 86
    City of Heroes.
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

PvE: LotRO

PvP:  GW1

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

Mine is ffxi, I played it from launch up till like the 2nd part of abbysea came out, and quit it then. I didn't necessary quit because of abby, but rather I stoped because my pc died. It took me 2 months to get it fixed. My hard drive was completely erased and I never reinstalled it.

Seems like 90% of replies are from older mmo's and not the current ones... 

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    EQ
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Vendetta Online

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• stio89stio89 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Guild Wars 1
  • Wyattearp89Wyattearp89 Member UncommonPosts: 8

If someone asked me this back in 2007/2008 I would have said The Lord of the Rings Online and City of Heroes, Guild Wars 1 for PvP though.

As of right now Final Fantasy XIV is my most favorite mmo. I love the crafting and it has actual meaning to the game. I love the lore and the story has been fantastic, the devs did a great job on setting up the story for Heavensward expansion. Graphics/art is very nice & will look even better once DX11 comes out in the expansion. There is other stuff to do besides Raiding and Dungeons, such as Chocobo Racing & Triple Triad. I love that I can do everything on one character, no more alts needed to get other classes/jobs or crafting classes.

Streaming MMORPG, RPG & Strategy games: . Part of the mmorpg.com Twitch team MMOFTW.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

DAoC.

Too bad the expansions killed it.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Final Fantasy 11, it was honestly the last true mmorpg out there, however its now just a casual pievce of shit and has been dumbed down so much that I can't stand it anymore.

A mmorpg should require other people for almost anything, I am sick of mmo's today that are nothing more than singleplayer games with a irc chat window to simulate multiplayer. Lets face it in most mmorpgs these days you never need another player until your at level cap. Maybe a dungeon here or there you do once. WoW and casuals have destroyed the genre, its a hollow shell of what it used to be.

2nd Fave would be daoc, its a classic, some of the best pvp i've ever had in a game (it depends on player skill not gear since at lv cap everyone generally had the same crafted gear) To many games these day are like 90% gear 10% playerskill.

3rd would be ragnarok online, again a classic, though ever since it went free to play it kinda isin't as good as it used to be, too many uber powerful items are avail and ONLY avail from the cashshop making it pretty pay2win later on.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 355

After almost 2 decades of playing MMOs, it's almost impossible for me to distinguish nostalgic feelings from the actual fun. I know for a fact, that I wasn't fully satisfied with any MMO ever - that includes fan favourites such as DAoC or SWG.

Therefore I just try to go by time invested and longevity. The result surprises me:

Guild Wars

Everquest 2

Anarchy Online

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by razmoduck

I have my own favorites, but maybe you could toss in your own suggestions in this thread and also lets have a vote on it here:

http://www.rkursem.com/poll/view.php?id=69cc485bf3e2efcb9

EVE Online: best sandbox out there, all on 1 server, everyone can meet each other, no 'realms', has everything and keeps on going strong. Never have to wurry about gear grinds, level grinds.

before that:

Star Wars Galaxies: version before Sony fked it up big time. Great Sandbox, lacking in content and patches but community made their own content and it was Star Wars, the original trilogy.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"