Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Star Marine Module and how to number SC builds

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

Chris Roberts posted a new "Note from the Chairman" about the SC Version numbering system. There are all kinds of conspiracy theories about the current system. What i personally find interesting in that note is that the new name for the FPS module is "Star Marine". Read on:

"Note from the Chairman: Version Numbering

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14651-Note-From-The-Chairman-Version-Numbering

When we released our last major game update, 1.1, I posted that going forward we would refer to future public builds as ‘Star Citizen’ rather than ‘Arena Commander.’ Star Citizen 1.1 instead of Arena Commander 1.1. The reasoning behind this decision was the fact that in the near future we won’t just be releasing Arena Commander. We’ll be releasing Star Marine, the initial social module, multi-crew, Squadron 42… and more. Star Citizen is coming together, and it made sense to get that across. Since we wanted the external number to match what we use internally, calling it Star Citizen 1.1 just made sense.

The big problem was that calling the game “1.1” is that it could also imply something I didn’t intend. There’s no proper standard for build numbers, but it is a common practice to refer to your first commercial release as 1.0. Calling what we are releasing Star Citizen 1.1 might imply that Star Citizen is finished, or a game you can pick up and play in its polished form today. Many backers argued this point on the forums, and we listened carefully to the debate.

Many of you may see this as a small thing, easily dismissed or corrected. But what truly struck me about the response was the reasoning that came up time and again: of course backers know and understand where Star Citizen is in development today… but they were concerned that new players learning about the project wouldn’t. And that crystallized something for me: Star Citizen’s community doesn’t just want to play the game they’ve paid for… they care as much as the development team about making sure the game is a success. For all the debate back and forth, the thought that our community would worry quite seriously about excluding future players made me extremely happy.

So of course we resolved to make a change. As noted above, one of the requirements was that it not just be a forward facing community change: if we were going to change how we name our builds, we were going to do it internally and externally. Internally, we had much the same discussion that was going on on the forums: what do we call it? Add a leading 0? Temporarily drop ‘Star Citizen’? A new system of letters? In the process, we reviewed all of your many suggestions. In the end, the answer was that we wanted to keep it Star Citizen and we wanted to call it 1.1 in order to avoid renumbering everything and reworking our stream names (more of a challenge than you would think) and our long term plans. You’re playing the same builds we are, it only makes sense to give you the same information we have. And so with a great deal of very careful consideration I’m happy to announce that we have chosen one of the community’s suggestsions: you are downloading Star Citizen Alpha 1.1 with today’s release. Thank you to everyone out there who took part in this debate, and who helped us decide on the best change to make.

• Alpha 1.1.1 – Today’s Update (Primarily Arena Commander improvements)
  • Alpha 1.1.2 – Code Stability bug fix patch for Pre-Star Marine
  • Alpha 1.2.0 – Star Marine
  • Alpha 1.3.0 – Social Module

Hopefully, that solves the numbering issue and helps new backers understand Star Citizen’s status and plans. I will close with a final, genuine thank you to the community for helping sort this out and for caring enough about Star Citizen in the first place that it would ever be an issue.

— Chris Roberts"

Have fun

Comments

• DevilSephDevilSeph Member UncommonPosts: 147

Lot's of hype going on at this title but what i believe is that this is going to be just a big shell of what it could be, the graphis and psyhics is insane, gameplay probably good as well but they need serious content. Maybe it comes out in 1-2 year but they need to spend 5 more to add the content and I have feeling they wont add it just grab the money and say good by to gaming word.

This is why  I didn't bought Elite because it looks just a big space flying simulator but a game need's competition, adrenaline, cooperative gameplay , open word pvp etc. I feel like all the company care more about visuals than adding real gameplay to games.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by DevilSeph

gameplay probably good as well but they need serious content. Maybe it comes out in 1-2 year but they need to spend 5 more to add the content

What about this content (starting this year) ? 

From a recent Chris Roberts message  (10 for the chairman) - it is described and discussed in more detail in another thread on this forum.

"They’re splitting Squadron 42 into a trilogy, Episode 1 (this year) has ~ 70 Wing Commander style missions, some flying, some FPS, etc etc. These might be a fluid story spanning 3 missions, there are 21 chapters or so that has a segmented mission structure."

Summary (thanks to a poster on the official SC forum):

First Game
    SQUADRON 42
    ----Begins its release at the end of this year
    ----Will be released in stages so we can begin playing it earlier.
    ----A stand alone campaign setting the stage for Star Citizen.
    ----Everyone who pledged a game package will get it.
    ----It includes everything originally planned for, plus more.

Second Game
    Behind Enemy Lines
    ----Release date not announced  (probably sometime late 2016)
    ----Used to be envisioned as an expansion pack for SQ42 but with CIG's financial success it got re-envisioned as a complete game.
    ----Free to those who backed before 6 Million. For sale as a complete stand alone game to anyone else.
    ----Will probably be released as a whole complete game instead of in stages.
    ----It continues the story-line of Squadron 42, but is a separate game unto itself.
    ----It does not require Squadron 42 to install.

Third Game
    Title to be determined
    ----Release date not announced.
    ----Will be released as a complete stand alone game.
    ----Is not an expansion pack or add on to Squadron 42. It only continues the story-line into its third part.
    ----Is available for purchase as a complete game to anyone.
    ----Does not require Squadron 42 or Behind Enemy Lines to install.

How the content basically generates itself in the Persistent Universe based on the economy system has been described in much detail before, e.g. here

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/24718/star-citizen-economy-and-employment

And yes, it makes more sense and reacts more to player actions than in E:D

Have fun

CIG followed up the Star Marine Module news with an in depth look at the FPS module combar stances, breathing and stamina.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14653-Design-FPS-Stances-Breathing

A very brief summary:

"What are stances, and why do they matter? Aim stances affect how fast a fighter can bring the weapon up to look down the sight, as well as accuracy while shooting without aiming. Most traditional FPS games have two aim stances: firing while you’re moving (hips) or carefully closing in on your weapon (sights). The standard tradeoff is field of view versus weapon accuracy: firing while moving is less accurate, but you have a wider view of the battlefield. Firing while focusing on your weapon’s sights lets you target very specifically, but you lose your peripheral vision.

Star Marine — and Star Citizen proper — will feature three stances. Having three possible stances instead of two means that the game will have a more realistic system of weapon handling, which will immediately impact gameplay. Star Citizen’s three stances are Lowered, Ready and Aim Down Sights (ADS). The Lowered stance trades the ability to fire for maneuverability. The Ready stance slows a soldier’s movement while making reactionary fire and aiming a lot faster and more accurate. The ADS stance is the most accurate, but has the slowest movement and most restricted visibility of the three stances."

"Stamina and breathing will be an important part of Star Citizen’s FPS mode, simulated in order to make first person combat a much deeper and more tactical experience than many familiar FPS titles."

Have fun

• DevilSephDevilSeph Member UncommonPosts: 147

Yes it will be fun for new players, I'm burn out veteran I can't emerge in single player campaigns.

After playing so many mobas and mmorpg , sandboxes it's hard to find a game, most likely inposible

Yes it will be fun for new players, I'm burn out veteran I can't emerge in single player campaigns.

After playing so many mobas and mmorpg , sandboxes it's hard to find a game, most likely inposible

If the single player campaign is not your thing - did you read the article in the link about how they generate missions in the Persistent Universe ?

Here is a shorter version on automatic mission content generation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTzpmWDBwoA#t=108

by Chris Roberts, and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1D4S-l5XDE

by TGN (V-Blogger)

You might also soon take a second look at E:D ... they are revamping the mission system.

Have fun

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by Erillion

If the single player campaign is not your thing - did you read the article in the link about how they generate missions in the Persistent Universe ?

Here is a shorter version on automatic mission content generation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTzpmWDBwoA#t=108

by Chris Roberts, and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1D4S-l5XDE

by TGN (V-Blogger)

the last thing I want is "generated missions", or it might end up as boring/static/lifeless as ED, I expect a lot more from Star Citizen like real story driven missions primarily, voiced NPCs and only some sidequest fetch quests thrown in, but if cheap themepark generic ware takes the main seat it would be a disappointment. I want the quality of the single player campaign transferred into the PU, maybe with story pack DLC, big story driven events with a start and an endpoint

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

the last thing I want is "generated missions", or it might end up as boring/static/lifeless as ED, I expect a lot more from Star Citizen like real story driven missions primarily, voiced NPCs and only some sidequest fetch quests thrown in, but if cheap themepark generic ware takes the main seat it would be a disappointment. I want the quality of the single player campaign transferred into the PU, maybe with story pack DLC, big story driven events with a start and an endpoint

Good luck with that. I think in the beginning things will be rather limited, in number if not in depth. They have a huge amount to do and not much time to do it.  The PU questing will be like a shiny version of SWTOR's side quest snooze fest.

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy
    Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

Good luck with that. I think in the beginning things will be rather limited, in number if not in depth. They have a huge amount to do and not much time to do it.  The PU questing will be like a shiny version of SWTOR's side quest snooze fest.

it has already been confirmed there will also be fetch/deliver missions in SC but these may include a station asking for 100 refined ore you can then go to mine yourself, refine it in your own factory /mining ship etc. and so far the whole mining process seems involved enough to even make basic missions interesting. Throw in some believable NPCs telling you a little story or at least one liners and let you see your cargo getting unloaded, and even basic space trucker missions will be immersive enough to prevent getting bored. CR will make this as realistic as possible 

things I don't want to see in SC: 

generic texts and a spread sheet, and cargo magically appearing disappearing in an invisible cargo hold that is not limited by actual physical realistic size

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I think I'll wait and see them for myself before I take anyone's word on how fantastic they're going to be.