Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Path of Exile: The Awakening Expansion Will Be a Game Changer

BMunchausenBMunchausen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff Posts: 400

For the last two years, Path of Exile has been redefining the action-RPG genre, and in a few weeks the game will be launching its biggest expansion ever, The Awakening. New Zealand developer Grinding Gear Games has had a dedicated team working the last two years to bring The Awakening to life, and from the preview Technical Director Jonathan Rogers gave earlier this week in downtown San Francisco, The Awakening could very well be a literal game-changer.

Read more of Neilie Johnson's Path of Exile: The Awakening preview.

Comments

• mfruskomfrusko Member UncommonPosts: 20
    This game has so much potential and I wanted to enjoy it, but it's not going to change the game any time soon until they fix their desync issue.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Nice changes, but until they fix the desync there's not much point in playing, especially not hardcore or races. I'll stick with Marvel Heroes and Diablo 3. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199
    I thought the desync was already addressed?

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    There still seems to be a desync issue related to network load/connection. Some people have it regularly, while others have it occasionally during peak loads. This is particularly problematic when they are running events, as a network spike can cause many to suddenly have a desync issue.
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    My all-time favorite game keeps getting better and better. Pay attention MMO devs!

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• EnaxionEnaxion Member UncommonPosts: 4

I just made an account just so I can say that "desync" is not an issue. Most people don't know game mechanics and just blame everything that happens to them on that one problem.

Like when Athene played PoE and he died on HC because he was attacking a bleeding monster and because he didn't have "removes bleeding" flask he died instantly and blamed desync... I wanted to strangle him.

I have 1k+ of gametime on poe (check my steam, its same name) and I get desynced once a month. Mostly never.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by Enaxion

I just made an account just so I can say that "desync" is not an issue. Most people don't know game mechanics and just blame everything that happens to them on that one problem.

Like when Athene played PoE and he died on HC because he was attacking a bleeding monster and because he didn't have "removes bleeding" flask he died instantly and blamed desync... I wanted to strangle him.

I have 1k+ of gametime on poe (check my steam, its same name) and I get desynced once a month. Mostly never.

The desync problem is not common. However it does happen. I have personally been affected by it in this last season twice (that is 2 times in 3 months of play). I know that some people have been affected more than this, and if you play standard modes it doesn't really matter much. 

• mxmissilemxmissile Member UncommonPosts: 275
    only game changer this game needs is to kill the immersion killing item selling spam
  • PathOfExileFanBoiPathOfExileFanBoi Member Posts: 1

GGG's Lead Programmer  just wrote this on reddit.com/r/pathofexile

''With the expansion we are adding a Deterministic Lockstep mode to Path of Exile that will have no desync. Bear in mind that this means that when you click you will have to wait for whatever your ping time is before you start to move or do a skill.

This works the same way as you would see in strategy game like Starcraft or a MOBA like Dota.

Because this requires a fairly low latency to feel good we are still supporting the old mode for high ping players, however, we have a lot of improvements there too.

It's not quite finished yet and we are working out the bugs, but I'm optimisitic that we will be able to get it done before the beta starts, or otherwise a week or so into it.

We are also adding a bunch more servers to new locations in order to reduce latency so expect to see East and West coast of America servers, as well as more locations in Europe like London. ''

#Hype!

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458

I just made an account just so I can say that "desync" is not an issue.

+1 never got problem with  desync

PathOfExileFanBoi  can you link this post about fix  desync
  • djcincydjcincy Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Originally posted by mfrusko
    This game has so much potential and I wanted to enjoy it, but it's not going to change the game any time soon until they fix their desync issue.

rewrite of netcode going in with this expansion.  servers are handled similar to starcraft now.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/324u94/rewrite_of_netcode_with_a4_to_reduce_dsync/

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    damn and i was just looking at getting back into POE, seems like the perfect time!
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    I stopped playing a long time ago because when I would get swarmed I froze and died a la desync. If that truly has gotten better or all together removed I may jump in on my Character again =). Only level 72 heh

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Originally posted by Superman0X

The desync problem is not common. However it does happen. I have personally been affected by it in this last season twice (that is 2 times in 3 months of play). I know that some people have been affected more than this, and if you play standard modes it doesn't really matter much. 

The desync problem is very common, and you can see it in any video of the game, or stream. And if you play more than 1 hour a day and get into maps & Atziri, and start getting 20/20 gems, especially movement skills like Lightning Warp, Reduced Dura, Faster Casting the problem is non stop and it seriously limits the way you can play, what builds you can play, and how fast you can move around in general. And it also gets you killed a ton.

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
    Originally posted by mxmissile
    only game changer this game needs is to kill the immersion killing item selling spam

You can turn the chat off, [mod edit]

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Well... Yeah... By definition an expansion changes the game and is therefore a "game changer".

Har har har

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Path of Exile and what GGG has done is truly amazing for a F2P game. So, I give my hat to that feat. For me it's been a truly unique experience without costing me a dime to spend.

I would gladly support the game if they only improved the competitive aspect of it. Certain individuals continue to abuse the grouping perks and dominate the top spots on the other hand the solo players who are also the majority are left in the dark. This is especially problematic in a hardcore league.

They also made the game far less interactive with the crafting masters. I enjoyed using my trading skills to both accumulate wealth and get good deals/items from players. Now, I can just go God mode without doing any trading, which makes the game more a single player experience. No wonder players reach 95 in less than a week. It's cake walk...

• goth1cgoth1c Member UncommonPosts: 79

Many games could learn whit POE how to make a "free" game, for me by far the best f2p model out there by far... And they keep updating the game...for free, this is why i support them... 

Go POE go, may nto be perfect but is the best out there atm.

• FarstryderFarstryder Member UncommonPosts: 69
    I've never died to desync or experienced more than a few times ever with 700+ hours.

Farstryder,

• SephrinxSephrinx Member UncommonPosts: 94

I have over 1000 hours on this game, and Desync has never been a problem. I've maybe died once or twice from being Dysnced, and it was my own fault from spamming Whirling Blades and Cyclones all over the place.

imageimageimageimage

• CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205

A few things for those that don't know PoE:

- it is NOT, at all, an MMO like it is said early in the video. It's an ARPG, yes online, and it doesn't resemble MMO progression AT ALL. If you want an MMO, you will be extremely disappointed.

- it is probably the best implementation of a F2P model. I never felt annoyed while I was playing it by things such as whales and P2W, cause they mostly don't exist. In my time, I think the most "P2W" feature was the possibility to buy bigger inventory (hence farm more eficiently, which was rather important later on)

- PoE is built by a great team that loves and stays by its game, not there just to make a quick buck. They seem dedicated and moral people.

And that's about it. I honestly have nothing bad to say about PoE from a ARPG perspective. But if you want to play MMOs , look elsewhere, cause you will hate the game, like I did.

Unless the mindless map farming "endgame" and unforgiving character spec requirements to be good changed. 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Superman0X

Yeah Desync IS a common problem (at least when I played). It really rears its head when you come to more tight areas where you will desync back a lot. The tower before the final boss for me playing through was HORRID with the amount of Desync I'd get nearly killing my hardcore character multiple times trying to climb the tower.

As someone who was up in the top 20 and died on an easy map do to Desync during a weak long race on the final day (which, btw, makes it even more frusterating when you die to things that should have no remote chance to ever kill you) it is something that was always frusterating to deal with. The game is great and it can allow you to overlook it... but it really drags you down the more you play it specially if you go for hardcore (which I always did).

Its most certainly a problem for when i played and its one I really do hope they get fixed for this expansion since I really enjoyed the game. It was always the Desync that was the fact that pushed me away from it.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

That update sounds pretty sweet.

And since I've been gone for so long that I'll have to relearn most of the game anyway, it'll be a good time to return to Wraeclast (with a new character :P).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Go level a char to high level, get a lot of attack speed/spread/multiple projectiles. Then come and say its barely a problem.

Did you even read what I wrote, I mean 1k game time is pretty much every single build possible almost. The problem is when people with a retarded internet connection try to play PoE they will blame every little stutter on it.. and that is how it is.