Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite: Dangerous: Mission System to be Significantly Revamped in Next Update

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Elite: Dangerous team has gone onto the game's official forums with an update that is packed with interesting tidbits of information.

First off the bat is the news that E:D is the number one selling game on Steam at the moment and that Frontier is looking into ways for players with desktop clients to be able to add the game to their Steam library rather than to have a separate client. There is no news about when this may happen.

In addition, the Mac client is underway and Frontier has indicated that there has been some valuable feedback from players that is being taken into account.

Lastly, the next update is to be called "Powerplay" and will be detailed in a couple of weeks. However, the main component of the update is the overhaul of the missions system.

One of the limitations of the current system is that missions tended to be a good option for starting players, but not so much for later on in the game. The overhaul will address this issue by making missions available for more experienced players as well as specific missions for higher ranks or status – such as being a Founder level member. The system will also expand the influence of reputation on missions to reward players who build a high reputation with minor factions.

Read the full update on the Elite: Dangerous forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillSussmanBillSussman Member Posts: 42

Number one selling game on steam? A console port incoming? Pitty the game is absolute garbage. 400 billion star system, full of absolutely nothing. I could list heaps of issues with this game. About time they're doing something about these idiotic missions. However my expectations on this "overhaul" of missions are not very high. They'll ruin that too. 

Wait til Star Citizen comes out. Everyone will forget E:D even exists. 

• Bensin304Bensin304 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Have fun waiting on SC because last I check the controls are still absolute shit.  That is a game that has gotten so much hype and will never meet the expectation people have set for it.  Hopefully I am wrong though.

Bensin out!

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by BillSussman

Number one selling game on steam? A console port incoming? Pitty the game is absolute garbage. 400 billion star system, full of absolutely nothing. I could list heaps of issues with this game. About time they're doing something about these idiotic missions. However my expectations on this "overhaul" of missions are not very high. They'll ruin that too. 

I hope the best that Star Citizen will be worth half the hype it's been praised, but Elite is already miles ahead. I just really don't think that Star Citizen will have half the pledge goals till 2017. By the time Star Citizen is a full game who knows how far Elite will be along with content and revamps.

• neotronneotron Member UncommonPosts: 47
    However, the main component of the update is the overhaul of the missions system.

The way it was worded, this was mentioned as the direct opposite - a small addition not really part of the main "Powerplay" feature of the patch. It's certainly an important and much needed fix, but it really didn't read like it was the main component.
  • JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

for like 2 hours, like every "new release" it was top seller.

Would have been a big surprise if it wasn´t , happens all the time.

yes the missions are shalllow and 400 billion system copies of each other (=generated) is nothing special. All the procedural games do it, could as well generate stuff for infinity without putting a limit to it.

"Ascent the Space game", done by 3 people - 200 billion systems.  No Mans Sky too. And Limit Theory,  auto-generate their maps.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Did anyone played EVE when it was released ? Newsflash for you - it was total utter crap.

With every patch this game is getting better. Simply instead for make people wait for year they decided to let it out now, let people play and make changes coresponding to real player needs

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

Not everyone wants to play a cross between Call Of Duty and Sims.

for like 2 hours, like every "new release" it was top seller.

Would have been a big surprise if it wasn´t , happens all the time.

Err no. All weekend it was top seller and it's still in second place almost a week later. The point is it's a very niche game that's doing very well on Steam, credit where it's due.

yes the missions are shalllow and 400 billion system copies of each other (=generated) is nothing special. All the procedural games do it, could as well generate stuff for infinity without putting a limit to it.

"Ascent the Space game", done by 3 people - 200 billion systems.  No Mans Sky too. And Limit Theory,  auto-generate their maps.

The missions are shallow and that's why they (and the system) are being revamped - which is exactly what the OP is about.

Space is space, Elite is an emulation of the Milky Way, it's not meant to be about taking all the cool things and cramming them into 100 star systems.

• BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 247
    how about revamping the stupid fucking price a little.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

IF it ever launches, when? 2016....2017....2018.....? Or is buying all those ship hulls the real game?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• DrazoDrazo Member UncommonPosts: 25

You aren't doing your preferred game any favors by acting so hateful toward other games.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by BarelyEinstein

It's the price of many other game. For that price you get no monthly sub, large monthly patches and smaller patches weekly.

These games aren't cheap to make and other than some paint jobs the only income the game generates is the box sale.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Did anyone played EVE when it was released ? Newsflash for you - it was total utter crap.

With every patch this game is getting better. Simply instead for make people wait for year they decided to let it out now, let people play and make changes coresponding to real player needs

The basic premise of the game is weak IMO.  Hence no matter how many updates they do, it won't fix the basic problems.  I could list all the issues I have with the game, but there is not enough space on this forum.  I will just say this, the fun factor rapidly fades with this game and disappointment sets in.  For many of us, long term play is not an option.  I actually have far more fun playing Starpoint Gemini 2, a much better game although single player, but then so is Elite basically.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by BarelyEinstein

Yeah I hear ya..  There just isn't enough game to warrant the cost yet.....