Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will there be a price drop on GTX 970 soon?

jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Is there any competition coming from AMD, or new releases from Nvidia in the next few months that may drop the price on the GTX 970s?

I am looking into buying one but I am in no huge rush and willing to wait. If waiting 4-8 weeks will save some money then that is what i will do. If it looks like todays prices will remain for longer than that i will go ahead and buy one.

I am looking for that particular card for a PC which will be going into a HTPC case. So lower power consumption and less heat are why.

I am looking at something along these lines for the smaller dimensions.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487076

Card Dimensions (L x H)
9.5" x 4.376"

Not the EVGA brand necessarily but something with roughly the same dimensions.

Comments

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

According to the laws of GPU advancement, typically prices drop every 3 months on average. (Though competition between AMD and nvidia can make this come sooner or later.)

But for the past 12 years or so the 3 month rule has held as accurate. Though the price drops are usually not huge on less than "top of the line" cards as the budget cards tend to already be reasonably priced, it's the top end offerings that reduce in price as they are overpriced to hell and back at launch, then drop down once new top of the line cards come around, you may save $20-$60 on your purchase.

Edit: Derp, meant 3 months, not 6. Was thinking cpus for a moment, not gpus.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

AMD and NVidia are right now launching new top-end products and competing with them, but that's unlikely to affect GTX 970's prices much.

The prices are always dropping, so if you wait 4-8 weeks you'll save money. But then you're again in a situation where if you wait another 4-8 weeks you'll save more money, and again in a situation where if you wait 4-8 weeks you'll save more money.

My advice is to just buy the graphic card when you need it. Now is as good (or bad) time to make the purchase as any.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Vrika

AMD and NVidia are right now launching new top-end products and competing with them, but that's unlikely to affect GTX 970's prices much.

The prices are always dropping, so if you wait 4-8 weeks you'll save money. But then you're again in a situation where if you wait another 4-8 weeks you'll save more money, and again in a situation where if you wait 4-8 weeks you'll save more money.

My advice is to just buy the graphic card when you need it. Now is as good (or bad) time to make the purchase as any.

Agreed

I was just wondering if there was likely to be a price shift anytime soon. 

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Originally posted by jdnewell
    Originally posted by Vrika

Agreed

I was just wondering if there was likely to be a price shift anytime soon. 

If you're willing to wait it's likely that there will be a price drop within next 5 months. It looks like at least AMD is very soon ready to launch a bunch of new cards, but they've been teasing people about them, leaking some info about them, then delaying them for some time now. If I'd have to guess whether they manage to launch them early enough to drop GTX 970's price within 4-8 weeks, I'd say no.

Meanwhile NVidia looks like it's launching Titan X, but I don't know if that's a reason for them to drop their other prices so much because Titan is a completely different price range product.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Originally posted by Kazuhiro

According to the laws of GPU advancement, typically prices drop every 3 months on average. (Though competition between AMD and nvidia can make this come sooner or later.)

But for the past 12 years or so the 3 month rule has held as accurate. Though the price drops are usually not huge on less than "top of the line" cards as the budget cards tend to already be reasonably priced, it's the top end offerings that reduce in price as they are overpriced to hell and back at launch, then drop down once new top of the line cards come around, you may save $20-$60 on your purchase.

Edit: Derp, meant 3 months, not 6. Was thinking cpus for a moment, not gpus.

Dunno I bought it begin november for 350 euro and at the same store its 380 now with sale they say and witcher 3 xD

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Probably not.  AMD showed off a new top end video card a couple of weeks ago, but it hasn't launched yet.  When it launches it might force prices down on the GeForce GTX 980 and Titan X, but probably not on the GTX 970.  If AMD is able to quickly fill out a new lineup of GPUs and if they're much better than the previous lineup (both of which are far from certain), that might force price drops.  Or AMD might decide that $600 for their top end GPU chip and $300 for the next one down are perfectly fine prices and price wars will have to wait for a die shrink next year.
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

It probably depends on what AMD prices are with new 390x VS Titant X and new 380x if this card have price around 970 then AMD wins in performace price range on both cards.

No brainer which one you should buy and money grabbing product from greedy company or a faster card with friendly price from AMD.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i