Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It saddens me that my favorite mmo is getting dragged through the mud.

2»

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I do think it's somewhat unfair to bash SWG..

However, that being said, the devs and execs of the game deserve all the bashing they get..  The powers that be totally screwed up the potential that SWG had to give..  Timeline was bad, and Jedi should of been in the game from the get go.. As SWTOR was able to implement good classes other then Jedi, SWG could of done the same..  Play a Stormtrooper? or rebel rifleman..  etc etc..  Plus all the other classes that SWG already had.. 

Fixed the damn mission bugs.. I hated taking a mission from the terminal only to run out 2000m and the nest if bugged.. grrrrr  Clean up the faction and TEF problems..  Prohibit ALL action macros.. Botting was a cancer..  Why the dev team made one poor decision after another is beyond me..  Oh well..  Then to end it all, they threw the baby out with the bath water..  Good Job SOE and LucasArts.. 

BTW.. Ole Georgie and his pals showed how screwed up and greedy they got with the new trilogy..  I for one am glad that Disney is at the helm now with the movies.. 

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Foomerang

We all knew we were making the best of an incomplete game. Thats the true mystique of SWG and why it is regarded so highly now.

Yeah I said it. You all know its true lol

In a lot of ways, that's true.  But I think the community also has a lot to answer for.  The way we treated entertainers and the entertainment profession was, in my eyes, very shameful.  Never have I saw so much indifference and contempt to a less deserving group of folks.  And yes, I'm talking about how we botted them to near extinction.

Entertainment got harder...far harder than it ought to be...the further pre-CU went on.  The community wanted bots and buffs, not entertaining players...and that's what we got.  But this extracted a terrible price on those entertainers who were playing the game in the right way.  It was hard....damn hard...to go into that cantina with the musicians and dancers, put on a show, and chat up an audience that never bothered to show....because they were all crowded around the macro-spamming buffbots.  When I was an entertainer, we played the profession and we played it well...but the community would rather have buffbots.

When I became a smuggler, there were times when I was the only guy who gave a damn about the cantina game.  I'd tip everyone who was live in every cantina I went in....regardless of whether I had BF or not.  Many times--more times than should be--I was the only tip some live entertainers got in days.

Frankly, if the game was so good, and the community so supportive, why was it that we macro'd everything, and why didn't we care about things like tipping the live ents who were doing their jobs?  The least we could have done is keep the bots behind closed doors and under wraps.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Beatnik59
    Originally posted by Foomerang   We all knew we were making the best of an incomplete game. Thats the true mystique of SWG and why it is regarded so highly now.
    Yeah I said it. You all know its true lol
    In a lot of ways, that's true.  But I think the community also has a lot to answer for.  The way we treated entertainers and the entertainment profession was, in my eyes, very shameful.  Never have I saw so much indifference and contempt to a less deserving group of folks.  And yes, I'm talking about how we botted them to near extinction.

Entertainment got harder...far harder than it ought to be...the further pre-CU went on.  The community wanted bots and buffs, not entertaining players...and that's what we got.  But this extracted a terrible price on those entertainers who were playing the game in the right way.  It was hard....damn hard...to go into that cantina with the musicians and dancers, put on a show, and chat up an audience that never bothered to show....because they were all crowded around the macro-spamming buffbots.  When I was an entertainer, we played the profession and we played it well...but the community would rather have buffbots.

When I became a smuggler, there were times when I was the only guy who gave a damn about the cantina game.  I'd tip everyone who was live in every cantina I went in....regardless of whether I had BF or not.  Many times--more times than should be--I was the only tip some live entertainers got in days.

Frankly, if the game was so good, and the community so supportive, why was it that we macro'd everything, and why didn't we care about things like tipping the live ents who were doing their jobs?  The least we could have done is keep the bots behind closed doors and under wraps.

The Hologrind contributed as well. People powerleveling crafting classes just flooded the market with garbage items. Between that and buffbots, the game began to feel hollow. During my stay in SWG, the most social aspect for me were the auction forums. It was always very active, competitive, and social. Funny how I had to go outside the actual game to get that heh.

• EridanixEridanix Member Posts: 426

Well, I was pretty young, almost a post-teenager when I entered SWG and it was truly amazing! In the principle I was nothing more than a Marksman, I was so busy discovering the world, learning, and overall meeting real people that in the time were dedicated and good-intentioned players willing to help that, for example, that it was more than I was able to believe. And yes, I went to the cantinas, met the buffbots but I learned to distinguish between them and people who were acting there, and my tips and cash were right to them, when it was possible. Another thing that I think it's remarkable: my character evolved. Beginning as a Marksman didn't push me on any forced rail, but it was only one of many ways to get into that -- I could say, great World, brething and living one --. When they put the Jedis avalaible and sometimes I had weird encounters with some of them called oOMarty36Oo and so on - it has been metioned before, but men, it was very funny and bizarre - I became a BH, and started the Hunt. But not only this. I met a lot of people who disaffortunately, after the devs Bombed the game to ruins, i lost contact with them. And I developed a kind of social life that has been imposible for me to find anywhere else. 

Oh, and about macros; sometimes it was a little bit crazy not to use them because everyone was doing that. Not everything was rose-color there. And the crafting... many of it was purely cosmethical. (But I get addicted to visit the most powerful crafters to buy gear of pure fanciness, the fact that it was considered normal and it worked is another strong point for me, I'm talking about freedom and a variety of activities that cannot resume here, as I think you don¡t deserve to read such a block of text by someone who is neither a writer nor a journalist).

But to finish, and for the OP. SWG is something that belongs to our reminiscences and to our experience, be this good or bad depending on the person.

To use SWG to bash other games is absurd, unfair and far beyond of what SWG means. Or was meant to be. No one can make us forget. With the good or the bad that was there. 

And to attack WoW using SWG in the endless war between Sandbox and Themepark is so poor and stupid, that the person who do such a thing should stop for a moment and start again. There is no comparison between these two Big games. One was great then and the other is great and so different to the other that comparing one with the other don't make sense at all. SWG and WoW, different worlds, two really good big games.

But I don't feel comfort been nostalgic. You all know it: Life is Adventure!

It is a question of fangs.

• LovrNoFightrLovrNoFightr Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10
    SWG!!!!????  WTF????  It's 2014.  is that game still around?

Yes. Speaks volumes about he quality of the game. Not like todays lolMMOs.

SWG pre cu - never forgotten.

• Tommy_TunaTommy_Tuna Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by versulas

Why? Doesn't every game get dragged through the mud on this site? It's one of the reasons I still come here. 

SWG isn't the only game "reduced to petty leverage for negativity and cynicism." The entire pre-wow era is pretty much regarded as a whole through rose-tinted nostalgia goggles. 

Like the one poster in this thread mentioned about AC, I cant believe all the people that carry on about SWG on this site. And lets be honest, the reason SWG is so popular here is because the vets were welcomed here as they were being booted off the SOE servers for posting "Pre CU FTW".

Personally, I played EQ for about 6 yrs. That was THE game back then. It nuked UO's sub numbers so hard that Trammal hit. SWG never came anywhere close to it. It took EVE nearly a decade to get up to the 550k subs EQ hit at its zenith. Which is chicken feed these days next to WOW, but back then it was the hot game....EverCrack.

SWG was popular with those into "role" play...IE Uncle Owen. Unfortunately for them, even when just the nerds were playing MMOs(of which I identify with), more were into "roll" play.....IE combat. And not the FFA mess, but against AI. People didn't care to be ganked back then any more than they do now.

And as OP has pointed out, some of these former SWG players insist on invading other games forums to preach about their missing game. It is pathetic, and unfortunately paints all former members with the same stroke. It isn't just here on MMORPG, but all over the internet.

IMO they are the most annoying gamers on the internet. Nine years and counting since NGE hit. Let is go already.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10
    SWG!!!!????  WTF????  It's 2014.  is that game still around?

Yep, there's a private server which has been in development for a while.  I go back from time to time to see how they're doing with it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S8fZwjyBIE

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Yea I like it too I did the beta on it and enjoyed it I love their concepts I live in tatooine had several plants still kinda buggy after launch stayed with it for about a year what drove me away I guess ting werent getting fixed to me players whinning all over everyone wanted to be a Jedi and not earn it I just wished some company would pick it up and fully develop it I do belive it would successful Thats my 2 cents
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I loved SWG as it was one of my first MMO addictions.  But the fact is as good as it was just like any game it had constant complaints coming from players.  I remember many posts about why the Devs seemed to hate some classes and how they were never fixed, broken, or op.  How silent the Devs were in the forums on issues.  How it was impossible to unlock Jedi, so hints were given and when Jedi were unlocked how op they were and later that they should PvP even if they wanted to or not.  Complaints that they never left their houses, so they were forced out of their houses when they used a Jedi skills and then complaints about that.  Take any current popular MMO and the complaints are always there, just as they were in SWG. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PixelPersonaPixelPersona Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Take off the rose colored glasses SWG was a buggy piece of crap when it first released, then they fixed a lot of it, then they broke it all again. If it was so epic and great it would still be around today but no people stopped playing and they shut the doors.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I imagine people would stop bringing it up if there were a bunch of MMO's like it out there.  As it stands, there isn't much out there like it and thus people bring it up when speaking about features it had that later MMO's have abandoned.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by tawess
    Originally posted by Foomerang
    Please stop tarnishing the memory of an old favorite. Stop using SWG to trash everything else. Thats not what the game was about. Your personal agendas dont justify turning a great game with fond memories into a martyr. It does a disservice to its legacy and goes against what it stood for.

thank you

I only give it the trash it deserves... I was with it from beta to close down and the game was a buggy mess with more exploits and macro abuse than i have seen since.

It had a lot of good ideas, but the dev studio could not deliver on their vision. The only part of the game that saw development was combat.. and when your game is not even 50% combat.. that is not a good thing.

I'll take a buggy feature rich game over a polished turd any day of the week, but to each his own.

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789

SWG  is still my favorite MMO to date . What I miss most about this game was the sense of community. This was especially true of the time before the Jedi grind (when everyone was afk macroing to get jedi), when you had to rely on everyone else to play the game. I knew a lot of people on Bria, I can not say that for today's games, where it is mostly solo to the top. I miss my dancer/musician,  when I was sick of leveling my jedi, i would switch to her and just dance and bs all day.

I also miss the housing system, I took hours and hours just decorating my home with all the cool items you received from quests/holidays etc. I haven't seen a better housing system in any game since.

Crafting was very involved, unlike the click click you made an item like everyone elses games today. It all depended on quality of materials you mined up yourself. And then the resources dried up, you had to plant your harvesters elsewhere.

It was a social, deep, and sometimes complicated game. But I would not trade my millions of hours of playtime. I enjoyed every minute of them. Thank you for making this great game, I am not a bitter vet, I played almost up to the end of the game.