Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just a load of cr..

Comments

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

In the end it comes down to this...

There's never enough content... 

• CrowingOneCrowingOne Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by Bascola

it will never get better because the engine is horrible and the artists and developers seem to be incompetent.

I'm curious what you base this somewhat wild assumption on?

Are you looking for a polished, released game? then Repop won't be for you, yet. I see a lot of complaints about visuals/animations when those areas aren't Alpha tasks but will be coming in beta where it is proper to polish and update aesthetics. The game is in Alpha 4, and is nearing feature-complete. Priority has been on gameplay, gameplay, gameplay and not on visuals, so far.

And if your engine issues are you judging Heroengine3 by another game's use of pre-Heroengine1 which they heavily modified to meet their needs to the point where it is barely recognizable as Heroengine? SWTOR's issues were nearly entirely wrapped in their design decision to prioritize the engine (as they re-wrote it) for single-player experiences. This is why the larger, open PvP early on couldn't handle the load-- since the game was optimized every step for single player rendering. Other games have shown HE to be a perfectly sound engine behind solid gameplay experiences.

In any case, the history of updates speaks to the competency of the dev team.

• duraboarduraboar Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Randayn

Yes the graphics are still being worked, no the graphics are not bad.  It's more about smaller things that need to be worked out.  But, in all fairness, the devs said that how it works comes first and how pretty it looks comes second.  That was their words (paraphrased) on how development would take place.

They do have things they still need to work on, but in an alpha state, it's actually in a VERY playable state right now.  Im having a ball playing.  Very open sandbox world (and for those PVE'ers like me, there is PLENTY of non-pvp area to explore).  

I think the only thing that will really throw people off is just how much of a sandbox this game is.  I know many people clamor for sandbox games, but do they really want it?  I do and Im VERY happy I put some money into this game.  It is the ultimate sandbox game.

Time will tell if they improve on the finer details, but I think they definitely will.  

+1

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Originally posted by StarI
    Originally posted by RexGarvin

alpha/beta who cares!  When I give $40 to a game that reviewers are giving an 8.3 I expect to see a game that has a good chance to be released.  This game only has enouph content to to get your money.  The content reminds me of 80s graphics!  During the time I played thier was not one update to the game.  I dont expect this game to be released!

When I give $40 to a game that reviewers are giving an 8.3

reviewers are giving an 8.3

giving an 8.3

bwahaha

I guess you somehow missed the alpha part.

Let this be a lesson for you.

The real information is out on the internet so there is no excuse for your ignorance.

Come back in a year when the game releases.

8.3 is what we gamers have the hype level at not mmorpg.com. They dont rate games till they have been out for a few months. Then you will see a player rating and one for mmorpg.com

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

alpha/beta who cares!  When I give $40 to a game that reviewers are giving an 8.3 I expect to see a game that has a good chance to be released.  This game only has enouph content to to get your money.  The content reminds me of 80s graphics!  During the time I played thier was not one update to the game.  I dont expect this game to be released!

giving an 8.3

bwahaha

The real information is out on the internet so there is no excuse for your ignorance.

8.3 is what we gamers have the hype level at not mmorpg.com. They dont rate games till they have been out for a few months. Then you will see a player rating and one for mmorpg.com

And even then, it's not a player rating... it is a staff member's rating... and they're totally unbiased unlike players

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Originally posted by Pepeq
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

giving an 8.3

bwahaha

And even then, it's not a player rating... it is a staff member's rating... and they're totally unbiased unlike players

Nope, its by things like how often people click on content for that MMO. Crowfall is a new MMO with lots of new info so lots of clicking and why its hype rating is high. Next game in open beta will again be hyped to #1. Its all us not the staff. Staff rating ALWAYS comes after the game is launched and a few months in.

• BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Originally posted by rwyan

The problem with early access lies mostly with gamers.  Some gamers will simply not be able to wrap their head around the fact what "Early Access" is intended for.  It isn't some premium, VIP first access.  Depending on when you buy in, you should expect a game that is very much a work in progress.  It will be buggy, unpolished, and most importantly - far from finished.  If you are expecting anything else, then you are just fooling yourself. 

It's intent is to provide funding for games that would otherwise be unable to get funding through traditional means - mostly because of the nature of the concept or nature of the team developing it.  Essentially, Early Access customers are serving as the publisher in this case.  That means that anyone buying into Early Access is inheriting some bit of risk.  If the project fails for whatever reason - then the project never gets completed. 

Developers have to eat too.  They need shelter as well.  If the money runs out, then development will most likely stop as well.  The money will run out for any number of reasons too.  Yes, there are malicious developers out there - but I imagine those will be few and far between.

I agree with you on all the points, no one thinks EA is a finished game, no one wants developers to work for free or deny them food. It's ridiculous to bring this up and i don't know how this is an argument, it's silly to even mention it.

The problem with these Kickstarters, Crowdfunding and Early Access games is that there are some that are rotten to the core with a cracked foundation, that will never make it and they should not be endorsed, hyped or get reviews at all, other than bad ones. The obvious failures and scams.

DayZ Stand Alone is a prime example of a game that was only made to grab the maximum amount of cash from early access with zero intention on making a real solid game or ever finishing it. It's pretty obvious in the choices they made, taking the same broken engine that could not support the mod and then acting all surprised when the "new" version had the exact same issue that will NEVER be fixed. Topped up with original creator exit stage left.

Godus is another example of a game that is rotten at the core and will NEVER be even close to what was hyped yet it was praised to high heavens.

The Repopulation is in the same league, it's rotten at the core. The foundation is bad and the developers are just way in over their heads. Do i admire their ambitions? Sure, but i also think that they made very bad choices and they will never finish it.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468
    The Repopulation is in the same league, it's rotten at the core. The foundation is bad and the developers are just way in over their heads. Do i admire their ambitions? Sure, but i also think that they made very bad choices and they will never finish it.

The Repopulation is no where near rotten to the core.  It is definitely a work in progress - I'll give you that.  The dev team is very open and upfront about the current state of the game.  They haven't made any outlandish promises and if you've followed the game, you would see it is making progress.

It is far from the bait and switch you make it out to be.  Is it possible the game will never reach "launch" status? Absolutely, but there appears to be a very solid effort to complete and support the game. 

• jadzYajadzYa Member UncommonPosts: 44

Care to detail? Putting a concept next to two failed others does not make the initial one failed too by association no matter how hard you try. So what exactly makes TheRepo rotten?

And how much time did you spend playing the rotten game before reaching the conclusion? Cause while the graphics are not particularly pretty right now all the design decisions I see around the core game functionality are imho sound and cool.

Intel Extreme Series Core i7 4820K
    ASUS P9X79
    2x G.SKILL RipjawsX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SC SLI
    Samsung 256GB 840 Pro

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

The Repopulation is no where near rotten to the core.  It is definitely a work in progress - I'll give you that.  The dev team is very open and upfront about the current state of the game.  They haven't made any outlandish promises and if you've followed the game, you would see it is making progress.

It is far from the bait and switch you make it out to be.  Is it possible the game will never reach "launch" status? Absolutely, but there appears to be a very solid effort to complete and support the game. 

Thanks for replying to Bascola's post, rwyan.   I wanted to as well but held off because it would have been an angry one.  Yours is much more reasoned.

What I detest about these type of posts is that they are obviously based on hate for the game.   Why else do you make comments like " the devs are incompetent " when that is clearly not the case.     Another case in point, in another thread, was The Beastt making a comment that Project Gorgon's graphics were worse than EQ's when that is obviously untrue.

To me this type of exaggerated criticism comes from an underlying hate of something else and here it seems to be indie games and and their funding practices.   We don't like these practices therefore will do whatever we can to tear these games down.   It isn't fair and it isn't realistic.

If you have criticism of a game that is fine.  I have tried to be honest in my assessment of this game and others.  I think that is the least we can expect from others on this forum.

Enough with the hate.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Thanks for replying to Bascola's post, rwyan.   I wanted to as well but held off because it would have been an angry one.  Yours is much more reasoned.

What I detest about these type of posts is that they are obviously based on hate for the game.   Why else do you make comments like " the devs are incompetent " when that is clearly not the case.     Another case in point, in another thread, was The Beastt making a comment that Project Gorgon's graphics were worse than EQ's when that is obviously untrue.

To me this type of exaggerated criticism comes from an underlying hate of something else and here it seems to be indie games and and their funding practices.   We don't like these practices therefore will do whatever we can to tear these games down.   It isn't fair and it isn't realistic.

If you have criticism of a game that is fine.  I have tried to be honest in my assessment of this game and others.  I think that is the least we can expect from others on this forum.

Enough with the hate.

Bone, I have come to realize that you are as wise as the man you have as an avatar

This game will NOT appeal to all crowds, but I think it is the ONE game that appeals to the most.  Crafting, PVE and PVP in a sandbox.  You have dungeons (open world) and raid encounters (same).  Cities with heavy AI elements like the more you build the more NPC's come.  It's pretty amazing, but it won't appeal to all.  It's going to be a love/hate thing, with nothing in between.  For me, it is Fabreeze sprayed on a genre that has "gone down the drain".

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    This game will NOT appeal to all crowds, but I think it is the ONE game that appeals to the most.  Crafting, PVE and PVP in a sandbox.  You have dungeons (open world) and raid encounters (same).  Cities with heavy AI elements like the more you build the more NPC's come.  It's pretty amazing, but it won't appeal to all.  It's going to be a love/hate thing, with nothing in between.  For me, it is Fabreeze sprayed on a genre that has "gone down the drain".

I have to agree with you here.  The game is very rough at times, but the more I play the more I realize that what the developers are trying to do in The Repopulation is the kind of aggressive approach that should have been taken with AAA title such as SWTOR, instead of the canned spam that turned out to be.  I am hoping this game succeeds, because it shows that there are still companies out there trying big things instead of making crap.

Originally posted by Airwren

I have to agree with you here.  The game is very rough at times, but the more I play the more I realize that what the developers are trying to do in The Repopulation is the kind of aggressive approach that should have been taken with AAA title such as SWTOR, instead of the canned spam that turned out to be.  I am hoping this game succeeds, because it shows that there are still companies out there trying big things instead of making crap.

I agree...its very refreshing to have something with limitless ability.  most new mmo's, you know where they are going...this one, you know it can go anywhere :)

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    so what´s so bad about it? actually I wanted to give it a shot
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 670
    Originally posted by psiic

LOL at least you only spent $40, Im in $250.

Same boat as I and I got pretty disappointed xD

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 670
    Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

RMA bro. Can't say much. What I can say is that it's far from complete.... Far away...

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744

Nothing bad about it, only 19.99 on Steam. Some hate it, some love, just be aware it's alpha. Game is great for what it is..

• BJC289BJC289 Member UncommonPosts: 31

I gave my $40 to the Repopulation thinking I was going to get a very good game in beta testing.   What I got was ripped off!!!  Yes I know the game is a work in progress.  Work in progress my a..!!  This game has just enouph content so it can get more money out of its supporters.  I gurantee you this game will never be released.  It will always be in beta stealing money from its supporters!!

Maybe you should've done a little research before you bought the game. You, along with a lot of other people, always do this. Then you whine and moan that it's not good.

If you read better than you could type, you would have read that it's in alpha testing which means content is missing from the game. Content can range from, sounds to zones, to items, to graphic effects to entire features & require extensive bug fixes. Beta phases have all pre-release features and are fixing all known bugs and hopes of finding new ones to crunch.

Also, while we're at it... how about the next time you buy into an early access you learn about the state of the game.

I bet you were one of those people that do this in steam forums; "is this game good?" "should i buy it?" "decide for me, decide for me blah blah blah" and just completely stay ignorant of anything and everything about the game before you buy it.

Hell, I bet you didn't watch a single gameplay video. 

P.S.- for anyone else wondering about the game, the game is actually really good for the state it's in. i see a bright future for it and see myself in it for a long time. UO throwback with a sci-fi flavor.. yummy,

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Retired

Nothing bad about it, only 19.99 on Steam. Some hate it, some love, just be aware it's alpha. Game is great for what it is..

Incomplete games are not much fun.

Incomplete MMOs are bad.

Very incomplete MMOs are worse.

Very incomplete MMOs that want money, are a no go.

No one should pay money for this title at this time.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Incomplete MMOs are bad.

Post like this makes no sense at all ... PLease give valid information, this sounds like trolling to me.. nothing more.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Sorry you lost your money, sucker.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Incomplete MMOs are bad.

Judging by your posts I've always taken you as a burnt SWGer, looking back you obviously were (first page of your history)  you were also angry they took it away judging by those posts. That game was always unfinished, with blatantly broken mechanics for all to see (they were never fixed..BG's anyone?). An odd place to come from to make such arguments...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Distopia

Incomplete MMOs are bad.

Judging by your posts I've always taken you as a burnt SWGer, looking back you obviously were (first page of your history)  you were also angry they took it away judging by those posts. That game was always unfinished, with blatantly broken mechanics for all to see (they were never fixed..BG's anyone?). An odd place to come from to make such arguments...

I can play all of the sorta, kinda, still unfinished not quite pre-cu I want, right now.

It beats the Repop in its current state by a mile.

And does not charge people.

Just tired of the hype train making the Repop seem like the best thing since sliced bread, when it isn't.

It will not be anything close to original SWG when it "released", since you brought up SWG, and is even more removed from that owing to its unfinished state. I could go on for 6 posts as to why not...

And yet, the company wants money for it now, although it was planned to launch "F2P", and the hype keeps coming.

I played the repop last week a while on a friend's acct, and as much as SWG was "unfinished", the repop is an order of magnitude more unfinished, and not just the alpha state BS: there are a lot of game mechanics that will simply not be there.

When people can't "defend" their game, they fall back on calling out personal attacks on posters, sad.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    This game makes my computer shut down for some reason. I've never had a game do that ever.