Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Squadron 42 solo campaign will be a trilogy

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295

From a recent Chris Roberts message  (10 for the chairman)

"They’re splitting SQ42 into a trilogy, Episode 1 (this year) has ~ 70 Wing Commander style missions, some flying, some FPS, etc etc. These might be a fluid story spanning 3 missions, there are 21 chapters or so that has a segmented mission structure. It should be ~ 20 hours of gameplay with an awesome cast. Episode 2 is “Behind Enemy Lines”, which will be free for those that backed before 20mil. There may be more “rogue, han solo style” epsiodes as we go down the track."

Have fun

Update with CIG Clarifications:

CIG Ben Lesnick | wcloaf said:

[source]

"The hope from the start has been that Squadron 42 would kick off a whole series of games, much like the 'main series' Wing Commanders back in the day... while the Star Citizen persistent universe would kick off at an unspecified point in the future and continue to evolve in its own way. Once we've built the technology and evolved the world and balanced everything, there's unlimited stories to tell. I know we talked about additional Squadron 42s early on, because we joked about calling them Squadron 43 and Squadron 44 back in the early days :)

All you're seeing now is that we're trying to figure out the best way to express that. Squadron 43 and Squadron 44 are good joke names, but they don't really make sense... it's more reasonable to brand 'Squadron 42' as a series rather than something like 'Squadron 42 2.' The only real 'change' here is that Behind Enemy Lines isn't a Secret Missions-style mission disk anymore... it's going to be the next part in the saga. And at least some of our backers get a great bonus, an additional AAA single player game because they backed early.

As for estimated hours to complete the game, I can only say... I really hate trying to quantify those kinds of estimates. It's a game with no one way to play it that we haven't finished yet. Is that 20 hours to play straight through? 50 hours to play every branching mission? To bring it back to Wing Commander: knowing the game today, I can finish the Vega campaign in about two hours. But in 1990, when Wing Commander was new, that took me at least a month of hard-fought battles. So if somebody asks me how long it takes to play Wing Commander, what do I say? There's a reason they don't put those kinds of estimates on box copy. :)

I will say - Squadron 42 is not any smaller than it was the day we set out to make it. Content isn't being cut or subdivided or parceled out for extra revenue or anything like that. If we mentioned 20 hours in one interview and 50 in another it's because someone was having two different thoughts about the same amount of content... it's in no way indicating that we've removed anything from the initial pitch, because we absolutely haven't."

"To clarify - there's no content being hidden away for a different release, we're just looking to the future. What's being referred to as 'episode 1' is really 'game 1,' with all the missions and features promised in the crowdfunding campaign. We've expanded the original mission disk (which early backers already have) into a comparable second campaign, and then have plans for a third. Squadron 42 is Wing Commander I, Behind Enemy Lines is Wing Commander II and the as-of-yet-untitled third campaign is Wing Commander 3."

Summary from a forum poster:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/249912/squadron-42-episode-1-included-eh-responses-from-ben-length-scope-explained/p1

"This has just gotten silly. So many mixed up confused opinions about something that is so easy to grasp.

Here we go. This is whats happening: CIG is creating a trilogy of stand alone games. They are:

First Game
SQUADRON 42
----Begins its release at the end of this year.
----Will be released in stages so we can begin playing it earlier.
----A stand alone campaign setting the stage for Star Citizen.
----Everyone who pledged a game package will get it.
----It includes everything originally planned for, plus more.

Second Game
Behind Enemy Lines
----Release date not announced
----Used to be envisioned as an expansion pack for SQ42 but with CIG's financial success it got re-envisioned as a complete game.
----Free to those who backed before 6 Million. For sale as a complete stand alone game to anyone else.
----Will probably be released as a whole complete game instead of in stages.
----It continues the story-line of Squadron 42, but is a separate game unto itself.
----It does not require Squadron 42 to install.

Third Game
Title to be determined
----Release date not announced.
----Will be released as a complete stand alone game.
----Is not an expansion pack or add on to Squadron 42. It only continues the story-line into its third part.
----Is available for purchase as a complete game to anyone.
----Does not require Squadron 42 or Behind Enemy Lines to install.

I hope this helps

CIG's old plan = Squadron 42 + some expansion packs.

CIG's new plan = Three stand alone games: Squadron 42 (all of it), Behind Enemy Lines, and Third unnamed title."

Comments

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

20 hours for episode 1 is pretty massive.

I liked the description that it will take place on space and on ground, e.g. chasing a pirate to some remote planet in your ship, then landing and getting out to continue on foot.

I really hope they have great writing in style of Mass Effect but from what  I´ve read the story will be pretty high quality, the writers posting the lore stories are great. Also dialogue wheel type options makes it extra cool.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295

20 hours for 70 missions .... i think it will be more hours than that. Thats only approx. 15 min per mission .... some Wing Commander missions took significantly longer than 15 min. I personally think that was a very low estimate from CR.

Have fun

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    While i'll definitely be playing Squadron 42, i'm curious to know when we'll actually see the open universe. Seems like it's quite a few years away.
    Originally posted by Erillion

20 hours for 70 missions .... i think it will be more hours than that. Thats only approx. 15 min per mission .... some Wing Commander missions took significantly longer than 15 min. I personally think that was a very low estimate from CR.

Have fun

but he said he is rather counting some sort of checkpoints, he said the play through will be seamless so I doubt they´ll tack on mission numbers or a "mission accomplished" screen after each section. The whole pirate chasing example could be three missions, or three objectives taking well over an hour

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by mcrippins
    While i'll definitely be playing Squadron 42, i'm curious to know when we'll actually see the open universe. Seems like it's quite a few years away.

While i am interested in playing the game, playing the squadron 42 thing though, is not something i am particularly interested in, i would be more than happy to just bypass it entirely and get into the game itself, for that i would rather wait until the game is finished, personally i think the whole squadron 42 thing is a mistake.image

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Erillion

I personally think that was a very low estimate from CR.

Yeah, because Roberts is well known for his humbleness :)

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Originally posted by Phry

While i am interested in playing the game, playing the squadron 42 thing though, is not something i am particularly interested in, i would be more than happy to just bypass it entirely and get into the game itself, for that i would rather wait until the game is finished, personally i think the whole squadron 42 thing is a mistake.image

I completely agree with you. I think if they focused development on the MMO, as opposed to both games, that we would get the real game a lot more quickly. I'm still slightly skeptical as to how well this game will run in a multiplayer setting. 

Current timeline for the Open Universe is End of 2016, beginning of 2017. Thats launch date.

Parts of it will be tested as early as late autumn 2015  (with 5 systems at first). The modules for the universe will come throughout 2015 ... Arena Commander dogfight is available since 2014, the FPS module should start any week now. The social module maybe early summer.

Have fun

Dude, Squadron 42 - IS - the game itself.

It was the original 6 million pitch, a single player Wing Commander type sequel.

Forget  the "Privateer Online" stuff that comes afterwards, when the assets for the single player game are built.

The locations, ships, etc. they need for the single player / co-op campaign will be reused for the persistant stuff of course, logic tells us that the campaign has first priority.

Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

It was the original 6 million pitch, a single player Wing Commander type sequel.

Forget  the "Privateer Online" stuff that comes afterwards, when the assets for the single player game are built.

The locations, ships, etc. they need for the single player / co-op campaign will be reused for the persistant stuff of course, logic tells us that the campaign has first priority.

I really hope you are incorrect, because the squadron 42 thing lacks any kind of appeal, i really wasn't looking for a themepark in space type of game, if you are correct though, then i guess my interest in SC ends here.

I really hope you are incorrect, because the squadron 42 thing lacks any kind of appeal, i really wasn't looking for a themepark in space type of game, if you are correct though, then i guess my interest in SC ends here.

your interest ends because they first finish the stuff that was said to come first, which is the single player /co-op campaign?

Sorry, don´t get it. The game is going to expand into an online universe *afterwards*, that was always the plan - guess what, the first trailer had a big fat "Squadron 42" Logo at the beginning, how could you possibly miss that?

I personally am getting sick of all the forced online MMO BS that some games are pulling off these days, glad they stick to their plan and don´t cancel stuff left and right like others.

your interest ends because they first finish the stuff that was said to come first, which is the single player /co-op campaign?

Sorry, don´t get it. The game is going to expand into an online universe *afterwards*, that was always the plan - guess what, the first trailer had a big fat "Squadron 42" Logo at the beginning, how could you possibly miss that?

You don't get that people are not interested in Squadron 42, but would like to play the rest of the game? if the game is based solely around Squadron 42, which imo would be a huge mistake, then if that is in fact the case, then zero interest, i am not really interested in a Solo game, or themepark in space, i was under the impression, perhaps wrongly, that there was more to the game than that, if i am in fact incorrect as was pointed out, and that Squadron 42 is the game, then the mistake was mine and i'll divert my attention elsewhere, how is that hard to understand exactly?image

You don't get that people are not interested in Squadron 42, but would like to play the rest of the game? if the game is based solely around Squadron 42, which imo would be a huge mistake, then if that is in fact the case, then zero interest, i am not really interested in a Solo game, or themepark in space, i was under the impression, perhaps wrongly, that there was more to the game than that, if i am in fact incorrect as was pointed out, and that Squadron 42 is the game, then the mistake was mine and i'll divert my attention elsewhere, how is that hard to understand exactly?image

What the hell are you even talking about?

What "rest of the game", before you can do "the rest" you need the stuff that comes first prior to that, is that concept really that hard to understand? There are dozens of huge locations, shops, NPCs, ships, buildings and mechanics in the single player campaign that will go full fledged online multiplayer sandbox MMO later, plus gigatons more getting added specifically for the MMO release. LATER. AFTER. SUBSEQUENT of Squadron 42. That was the pitch and they are sticking to it. Known since 2013. Where have you been? Your complaint and sudden realization comes like, 2+ years too late.

And how on earth do you relate "themepark" to a single player campaign anyway? Does that make any sense, to anyone, ever?

Do you hate Mass Effect too because it was single player? Because that´s what Squadron 42 is, plus actual hands on space combat and boots on ground FPS.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

You don't get that people are not interested in Squadron 42, but would like to play the rest of the game?

You =/= people.

What "rest of the game", before you can do "the rest" you need the stuff that comes first prior to that, is that concept really that hard to understand? There are dozens of huge locations, shops, NPCs, ships, buildings and mechanics in the single player campaign that will go full fledged online multiplayer sandbox MMO later, plus gigatons more getting added specifically for the MMO release. LATER. AFTER. SUBSEQUENT of Squadron 42. That was the pitch and they are sticking to it. Known since 2013. Where have you been? Your complaint and sudden realization comes like, 2+ years too late.

And how on earth do you relate "themepark" to a single player campaign anyway? Does that make any sense, to anyone, ever?

Do you hate Mass Effect too because it was single player? Because that´s what Squadron 42 is, plus actual hands on space combat and boots on ground FPS.

Clearly you don't get it, but thats okay, the mistake was mine, i had the wrong idea about what the game was, so don't be so defensive, games are not made for everyone after all, and obviously this one was not being made for me. I'll stick with Eve online, Elite Dangerous etc. games which are more my thing.image

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840

Clearly you don't get it, but thats okay, the mistake was mine, i had the wrong idea about what the game was, so don't be so defensive, games are not made for everyone after all, and obviously this one was not being made for me. I'll stick with Eve online, Elite Dangerous etc. games which are more my thing.image

The open universe will be an upgraded Elite game, it's just coming later as it was not in the initial plans.

Originally posted by Azoth

The open universe will be an upgraded Elite game, it's just coming later as it was not in the initial plans.

yes, it´s kinda funny he doesn´t notice that doing Fedex grind quests is the most basic Korean style themepark he can get, but he thinks a game like Star Citizen that will have an extra single player campaign on top and an actual player driven universe with factories and players being able to run factories, mine and refine ore, and taking over persistant stations is supposed to be the themepark in his mind?. Lol.. ah well. Seems like just another disinfo attempt.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Originally posted by Azoth

yes, it´s kinda funny he doesn´t notice that doing Fedex grind quests is the most basic Korean style themepark he can get, but he thinks a game like Star Citizen that will have an extra single player campaign on top and an actual player driven universe with factories and players being able to run factories, mine and refine ore, and taking over persistant stations is supposed to be the themepark in his mind?. Lol.. ah well. Seems like just another disinfo attempt.

You really need to take a deep breath or maybe lay off the caffeine before posting. He admitted his mistake, said the game wont be for him since he wants the MMO and not the single player game. Wish him the best of luck, hope maybe he returns to check out SC when it comes out and move along. Raging and trying to discredit him(for some reason) just makes you look like a moron.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I completely agree with you. I think if they focused development on the MMO, as opposed to both games, that we would get the real game a lot more quickly. I'm still slightly skeptical as to how well this game will run in a multiplayer setting. 

same here , I am not interested for SP  but  have zero interesting for FPS game too,only what I waiting for are space sim MP/mmo part of this game

They should alowed optional downloading for separated modules !

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

same here , I am not interested for SP  but  have zero interesting for FPS game too,only what I waiting for are space sim MP/mmo part of this game

I think it's a delicate balance. I'm a CR fan, and an MMO fan, but I would really like an engaging and intense storyline in a single player experience. If I was looking for a generic, cookie cutter story, I'd still be playing EVE. For me, it's about the story first and the multiplayer second. My biggest question would be, even if it was an MMO, aren't the majority of MMOs simply single-player games at this point anyway? I'm not really seeing why it's a game breaker that you have to follow some sort of storyline. It's like saying you're not playing WoW because you'd rather just jump to the raids. Isn't it? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the argument. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

I think it's a delicate balance. I'm a CR fan, and an MMO fan, but I would really like an engaging and intense storyline in a single player experience. If I was looking for a generic, cookie cutter story, I'd still be playing EVE. For me, it's about the story first and the multiplayer second. My biggest question would be, even if it was an MMO, aren't the majority of MMOs simply single-player games at this point anyway? I'm not really seeing why it's a game breaker that you have to follow some sort of storyline. It's like saying you're not playing WoW because you'd rather just jump to the raids. Isn't it? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the argument. 

I can´t believe he is calling SC the real game as if Squadron 42 is NOT the real game,
     so what the Witcher 3, Mass Effect and Sykrim obviously are not  "real games" because they are not MMOs or what? MMOs are overrated anyway and I play less and less of them, it´s mostly dumbed down minimalistic click that-kill this content,  grind forever for some reskinned shiny, rinse repeat. Blergh, I´m sick of it.

You can have a much better tailored experience in single player games. So if we make bold statements here I say MMOs are no real games but single player games are.

Keep in mind that even if someone is only interested in the space sim part, in Star Citizen one can NEVER exclude the FPS part. If someone cripples your ship, you can be boarded. And the boarding action will be FPS style combat.

If someone finds this unacceptable, then Star Citizen may not be her/his game.

That Star Citizen utilizes all elements - including FPS. That is known since 2012. ("A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.")

Have fun

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

It doesn't matter what you or anyone else thinks.

What is a FACT! Is that the original kickstarter began with Squadron 42 and then when further milestones were added and reached, it expanded more and more, including persistent open universe.

Squadron 42 is and always has been on the list FIRST to be released. So it will release FIRST! Rest comes later.

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510

You can play the mmo version without playing any of SQ42. Think of them as two seperate games if you want.

The original "concept" was to do a wing commander successor. The mmo part was added later as support grew. SO the original game was SQ 42 but mmo part has been added. The mmo part is not a "side project" either. SQ 42 is coming first and then the mmo part.

The current planning states that you can skip the Squadron 42 part if you want. You will NOT have earned the "Citizenship", which you get for voluntary military service (kinds reminds me of Starship Troopers). Being a "Citizen" has some solid benefits in the Star Citizen universe. Some things are ONLY available to Citizens.  There are ways (so far not stated in detail by the devs) to earn citizenship in the Persistent Universe part of the game, but they take longer than military service. There are also many ways to live a life without Citizenship, especially in the fringe systems ... or in the lawless areas.

Have fun