Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pay to Win.....

A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276

i see alot of people call games like archeage and wulin/wushu pay to win cos u have to subscribe to level faster and get extra benefits.

i dont see these games as pay 2 win because its just making things abit faster, its like some games you have a subscription to play the game, its kind of the same thing to me,

i see so many people crying about a game being pay to win, i used to play lineage2 and pay £7 a month for it and never had a problem, soon as a games goes free but u can pay a little fee to make things easier people seem to cry,

understand companys need to make money somehow and the way to do it without giving away like uber weapons so your over powered is to make a little subscription type service

rant over :)

Currently Playing:
...... :(

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

The thing is that every game "can" be P2W. 

Sometimes games themselfs offer "things" that might be considered P2W but if the game itself doesn't offer it we all know there are millions of way's due to 3rd party's, goldscammers and such that are also around.

Company's just wanted that slice for themself instead of losing out on it by goldscammers etc....

• A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276

yes that is 100% true, WoW is pay 2 win, because of gold farmers/spammers

im pritty sure 100% of games have gold farmers/sellers

Currently Playing:
    ...... :(

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Originally posted by A1D3N

i see alot of people call games like archeage and wulin/wushu pay to win cos u have to subscribe to level faster and get extra benefits.

i dont see these games as pay 2 win because its just making things abit faster, its like some games you have a subscription to play the game, its kind of the same thing to me,

i see so many people crying about a game being pay to win, i used to play lineage2 and pay £7 a month for it and never had a problem, soon as a games goes free but u can pay a little fee to make things easier people seem to cry,

understand companys need to make money somehow and the way to do it without giving away like uber weapons so your over powered is to make a little subscription type service

The issue is quite a bit deeper than you make it out to be. Some people do indeed call any form of paid advantage, even xp boosts p2w, but most of the flack a game like AA got for being p2w was because of systems that went far, far beyond simply a little xp boost.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

yes that is 100% true, WoW is pay 2 win, because of gold farmers/spammers

im pritty sure 100% of games have gold farmers/sellers

Except if you use them, your playing russian roulette with your game account as the stake, and every time you do it, you add another bullet to the barrel, it is in short, a mugs game, you can only lose.image

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Are there actually games out there where you can 'pay to win'?  Gold doesn't matter that much, imho.... because in most games, you have to unlock reputations or some other feature to access cap level gear.  And most of the time, the things can get via gold are 'lower item level' than gear you get from PvP or raiding.  

Are there games where you can just 'buy' the highest level gear available?  And if so, are they successful games?

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by BlackWatch

Are there actually games out there where you can 'pay to win'? 

Games? Truckload of them, like Crossfire or BF:H, etc. :)

MMOs, can't say... but maybe it's just me, since I don't pvp in mmos, and in pve p2w is n/a (abbr. ftw image)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by BlackWatch

Are there actually games out there where you can 'pay to win'?  Gold doesn't matter that much, imho.... because in most games, you have to unlock reputations or some other feature to access cap level gear.  And most of the time, the things can get via gold are 'lower item level' than gear you get from PvP or raiding.  

Are there games where you can just 'buy' the highest level gear available?  And if so, are they successful games?

There are, and they are 'relatively' successful, in Planetside 2, the number of weapons you can 'buy' in the cash shop that are better than the stock weapons, is fairly numerous, this includes weaponry for both ground and air vehicles, technically you can earn points to unlock them, but realistically it would take months of game play just to unlock a couple of them, which would mean that your abilities would be severely nerfed because you didnt spend those points on them instead, being a subscriber boosts those point gains quite a bit, and you get an additional monthly allowance towards buying things from the cash shop too.

Most of the terms P2W relates to, is not really about buying equipment, but buying something that gives you an advantage over others, or over a game mechanic that affects others, in one particular game that i won't mention by name imageupgrading or improving gear has a 'random' element that as it becomes 'higher' in level, is more likely to be destroyed than improved, the cash shop sells items that boost your chances at this succeeding, that is a P2W item, or at least one of the definitions of one, you would have to be fairly blinkered to not see the possibilities inherent in some of the cash shop items in various F2P and also Hybrid games to not see this as being the case.image

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Pay2win: you pay real money in a game to gain an advantage those who do not pay have not. That's all there is.

I don't like pay2win, so I don't play pay2win games. I play DOTA2, Cities: Skylines and the arena mode of Hearthstone.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• cribettcribett Member UncommonPosts: 135

Archeage is P2W if you can't see that then you're in denial, i stopped playing a month ago if you have unlimited funds at you disposal no one can stop you in that game . 

There's a Korean guy on twitch called KoonCoon who literally plays with his credit card in his mouth go visit him and ask a few questions about why hes rank one hero and untouchable in PvP.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Did you ready played Archeage ? OP
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The biggest issue when AA first was out in the west was the whole labor potion thing since at the time the cooldown was like 4 hours or around there and could be used on multiple characters. Of course that changed overtime but still more labor means more win since in that game you craft the strongest gear. Anyway, many of the games mentioned are free to play so I wont show any empathy for people that want a free ride in a game without any intention of investing down the line. Companies are entitled to set up their games however they want and if people dont like it, they dont really have to pay. Now when it comes to those f2p games wanting a sub too with additional perks you have to buy, then I have a problem since you're paying for a service. The advantage to many subscription games is the fact that its a leveled playing field and if there is a "cash shop" involved, its usually vanity junk in it like WoW and FFXIV. If they start selling materials, boosters, etc then its not right imo.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Do you guys really have fun having this discussion over, and over and over and over and over again?
  • vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

A BIT??? I couldn't keep up as a f2p player even when I grinded every day because there was a hard cap at how much cultivation you could gain each day while subscribers had a way higher cap. You also don't mention they started selling styles that were blatantly better than the original school styles. I loved the game but I couldn't deny the fact that as a f2p player, you were always a second rank citizen. Like food for the subs. Sure they can make money but do it without selling power or hardcapping the f2p players. Many games do it so why can't they?