Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New era for MMOs

MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325

Long gone are the games who are classic themparks being made atleast in the west, we see a lot of games moving towards sandbox kinda gameplay.

Most of them in my opinion are crap  due to kickstarter and early alpha access but the point being, games are moving towards something and in this case sandbox are the new hype.

How do you feel about it?

Comments

• EncephalitisEncephalitis Member UncommonPosts: 78
    with themepark mmos, i could at least pretend it might be something good or worth playing; now i can't even do that much.
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I will not hold my breath for the next big thing.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• DevilSephDevilSeph Member UncommonPosts: 147

The problem is my friend that when i was a noob I remember trying out sooooo many crap games, probably made by newbie game creators and company's and they moved along to create mmos. Now everybody says that Blizzard did a good thing by not making another MMO but this is so wrong! If Blizzard would have made a new MMo it would have  around 12-15 mill player base and Wow would have still atleast 2-4 so they are definetly loosing lot of subscribers. Those lazy ba....

I jsut tryed out defiance that was a horrible experience for 1 hour but atleast kept me going for 1 h where for example Archage had me for like 5 min. Archage is so lifeless so cheap so booring so nothing I dont get it how ppl can play with it.

Lot of AAA mmos failed as well, they all went with the 12 + bullshit booring recipe instead of being creative or anything. I just don't understand this ppl.

And now probabably i will get banned again, because you can not be honest and tell bad about games here because those games pay this website to advertise their useless games so sad
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451

I for one am glad to see the themepark and treadmill style games die. Hated the way WOW pushed the genre in that direction in the first place.

The bad part is all the sandbox games are sorta... well either crap, low budget, glitchy as hell, have no PvP focus or the reverse only be focused on PvP. Or for whatever reason are having a focus on solo game play over multi-player lately.

We need some good sandbox style games, themepark linear quest hub driven mmos can die in a fire. MMOs should be about a living world where you have to explore to find things. Quest are fine but not in the version they are in most mmos these days. No mmo should be about going from quest hub to quest hub then linear progressive instanced endgame raids in my opinion.

As for kickstarters, I have 0 faith in them. Simply because of the sheer cost to make a good mmo these days. It is in the 100s of millions. A 1-2million kickstarter is going to get you  a small/incomplete game most the time. Even if the game is great if there is only 2-4 months of content in the great kickstarter it is still going to fail due to lack of content.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by DevilSeph
    And now probabably i will get banned again, because you can not be honest and tell bad about games here because those games pay this website to advertise their useless games so sad

unless you have proof of that shut up.

There Is Always Hope!

I don't think anyone can tell me a good mmo, sandbox, themepark whatever atm. I have a few games on my radar but what is the chance for them to be good lol, and they are 1 year of release from now one f ... booring
    its ok
  • EncephalitisEncephalitis Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by keithian

unless you have proof of that shut up.

i'm curious what you believe would happen if that guy were to post a great big picture full of all the relevant info pertaining to said proof.

to stay on topic, sandbox games die quicker than any other. since there's really no direct story or quests or anything, you spend your time wandering around the games universe trying to find things to do. usually to fill the time up, there's a "dig your own ore 400 feet below the surface with nothing more than your fingers so that you can smelt your own metal" type mat grinding along with arbitrary time sinks and finally "lose everything you've spent time accumulating" pvp, just to make things 'interesting'. none of this screams exciting or fun to me, but that's just a personal thing.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

The problem is my friend that when i was a noob I remember trying out sooooo many crap games, probably made by newbie game creators and company's and they moved along to create mmos. Now everybody says that Blizzard did a good thing by not making another MMO but this is so wrong! If Blizzard would have made a new MMo it would have  around 12-15 mill player base and Wow would have still atleast 2-4 so they are definetly loosing lot of subscribers. Those lazy ba....

I jsut tryed out defiance that was a horrible experience for 1 hour but atleast kept me going for 1 h where for example Archage had me for like 5 min. Archage is so lifeless so cheap so booring so nothing I dont get it how ppl can play with it.

Lot of AAA mmos failed as well, they all went with the 12 + bullshit booring recipe instead of being creative or anything. I just don't understand this ppl.

Hey, while you're predicting the future of things no one could possibly know, can you also tell me what tommorrow's lottery numbers are gonna be?

I don't think anyone can tell me a good mmo, sandbox, themepark whatever atm. I have a few games on my radar but what is the chance for them to be good lol, and they are 1 year of release from now one f ... booring

WoW. There's one.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Originally posted by Sephiroso

Hey, while you're predicting the future of things no one could possibly know, can you also tell me what tommorrow's lottery numbers are gonna be?

WoW. There's one.

I deleted that comment but you still managed  to quote it, damn you :) I don't want to cry to much over games now. Do you think I  want to see 1 minute about a game that i was playing for thousend of hours 10 years ago?

I don't think anyone who reads or post here plays seriously any game because if he did he wouldn't come here to read because he's satisfiaed what he got.

WoW. There's one.

I deleted that comment but you still managed  to quote it, damn you :) I don't want to cry to much over games now. Do you think I  want to see 1 minute about a game that i was playing for thousend of hours 10 years ago?

I don't think anyone who reads or post here plays seriously any game because if he did he wouldn't come here to read because he's satisfiaed what he got.

I'm satisfied with my Zelda games, does that mean I can't play some Bravely Default or FFXV(when it releases)?

There's no rule that says one can only play 1 mmo just like there's no rule that says one can only watch 1 television channel or use only 1 torrent website.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I'm perfectly happy with the current mmorpgs out today. IMHO if we keep looking around the corner for something better we can't coalesce with what we have. When EQ and WoW were introduced it was some of the best time I have ever had with gaming and that was probably due to there being nothing else really to play. I was basically forced into getting through areas of the game I didn't like and played on. Nowadays it's so terribly easy just to give up and try something else hoping to get that early feeling back. So, I don't think there will ever be a new era, at least not like it was years ago. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by strawhat0981
    I will not hold my breath for the next big thing.

And this is a GOOD thing.

Can't you see? The next big thing was an illusion. It always was.

The era of hype and bust is over. No more 'holding your breath'.

Hopefully, now, when games turn up they can be judged with a pretty clear mind and no expensive bullshit hype.

Originally posted by DMKano

The fact that there are millions of happy MMO gamers today firmly points to the most likely possibility - it's not the games.

Your supposition that millions of MMOers are 'happy' is a fundamental mistake.

Who is to say that the vast majority aren't just making unhappily do until the game that they actually want comes along?

In fact, who is to say that the very existence of the F2P market isn't down to players just not thinking the games aren't good enough to actually pay for?

Imagine that. A revenue model born of the players of these games knowing that they are kinda shit but just play them for something to do while the good one comes along.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Vesavius

The fact that there are millions of happy MMO gamers today firmly points to the most likely possibility - it's not the games.

Your supposition that all existing MMOers are 'happy' is a fundamental mistake.

Who is to say that the vast majority aren't just making do until the game that they actually want comes along?

I don't see where he said they were all happy one bit. He just said millions were. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Who is to say that the vast majority aren't just making unhappily do until the game that they actually want comes along?

In fact, who is to say that the very existence of the F2P market isn't down to players just not thinking the games aren't good enough to actually pay for?

Imagine that. A revenue model born of the players of these games knowing that they are kinda shit but just something to do while the good one comes along.

How in the world do you get "all existing MMOers are 'happy'" from "there are millions of happy MMO gamers"? Impressive really.

Damn, Amjoco beat me to it.

Imagine that. A revenue model born of the players of these games knowing that they are kinda shit but just something to do while the good one comes along.

How in the world do you get "all existing MMOers are 'happy'" from "there are millions of happy MMO gamers"? Impressive really.

Really? Based on the whole of what I typed that kind of pedantic point is what you picked up on...?

Christ...

*edit* ok, I have edit it to say 'millions' and not 'all', because that hugely changes the message, right?

Internet pedants that use minor points to deflect from the overall message are such a PITA.

Really? Based on the whole of what I typed that kind of pedantic point is what you picked up on...?

Christ...

Really? Based on the whole of what DMKano typed, that kind of pedantic point(not to mention 100% false) is what you picked up on...?

Christ...

I'll be good and explain why the rest of you post doesn't matter. The rest of your post doesn't matter because it hinged on the false belief that DMKano was saying all mmo gamers are happy. None of what you said after really matters since that was the primary factor of you saying it, and it was built upon false pretenses.

Also many many f2p players are happy with their f2p games. And many many p2p players are happy with their p2p games. So like DMKano said, millions of mmo players are happy.

Christ...

Really? Based on the whole of what DMKano typed, that kind of pedantic point(not to mention 100% false) is what you picked up on...?

Christ...

I'll be good and explain why the rest of you post doesn't matter. The rest of your post doesn't matter because it hinged on the...

It didn't 'hinge'.

Grow up.

Christ...

Christ...

I'll be good and explain why the rest of you post doesn't matter. The rest of your post doesn't matter because it hinged on the...

It didn't 'hinge'.

Grow up.

Yes it did. Read the edit too. You were still wrong because it totally hinged.

Christ...

Christ...

It didn't 'hinge'.

Grow up.

Yes it did. Read the edit too. You were still wrong because it totally hinged.

Reread the edit, tell me what has changed in the message.

Or are you just going to pick at one or two words and use them to divert?

Stop using smoke and mirrors instead of an actual point.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Maurgrim

Long gone are the games who are classic themparks being made atleast in the west, we see a lot of games moving towards sandbox kinda gameplay.

Most of them in my opinion are crap  due to kickstarter and early alpha access but the point being, games are moving towards something and in this case sandbox are the new hype.

I think that was true 3 years ago. Now, there are even more poor sandbox games than there are themepark ones.

One thing that is somewhat popular lately is new renditions of old games - in general that often is sign of not being happy with the state of the market overall (looking into the past to find your fix).

In my opinion, successful studios will realise that the key is to pick one playstyle and focus on that. Dragon Age is a very linear, themepark experience. Yet was very well received because it doesn't throw too many unnecessacy sandboxy elements into the mix. Likewise, games like Star Citizen may be successful because they fully commit to being a sandbox experience.

What doesn't work is blending too many things together. Large majority of the recent MMORPGs are basically a themepark experience with some sandbox elements and one or two unique features. As a result every MMO is competing with each other for the same pool of players, they are not unique enough. And in a way it is not likely you would play 3 different MMOs that are essentially the same. You are much more likely to play one dedicated themepark, one dedicated sandbox and one casual web MMO.

So in my view, it is all about being unique. Doesn't matter how the content is structured, it simply has to be different enough from what has been done already.

Originally posted by laxie
    Originally posted by Maurgrim

One thing that is somewhat popular lately is new renditions of old games - in general that often is sign of not being happy with the state of the market overall (looking into the past to find your fix).

Name 5 games that released in the last 12 months that makes this statement true.

• japormsxjapormsx Member UncommonPosts: 51

5 years from now,  its just as possible that the headlins will be bashing this time period as the darkest hours of mmo where non of the sandbox made it to mainstream.