Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think about ferocious defenders of the SC ?

motanilamotanila Member UncommonPosts: 152

I am a big fan of space sims in general and a moderate fan of the Star Citizen. However i have seen that there are many fans that would defend star citizen with their last breath on forums and attack everybody posting "against" CIG.

What do you think about them ? Are they genuenly fans or just payed posters to make PR ?

To have a better understanding of how public opinion is manipulated have aread at this article: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/02/putin-kremlin-inside-russian-troll-house

Comments

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    I just assume anyone that doesn't agree with me is a paid shill.

Life is much easier that way.
  • BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271
    I think they are being taken for a ride. The mother of all rides.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

I don't mind rational fans or ones that can accept informed criticism of their game. I don't like fans that lie about their game or lie about other games to talk their own game up. I don't think blind trust or out and out fanboyism is at all useful from a developers POV.

A healthy balance between trust, hope, criticism and scepticism would make the perfect fan imo. This obviously applies to all games.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Every MMO has its foaming-at-the-mouth fanatics, I don't see why SC should be any different.

And if the game ever comes out most of those fanatics will turn into bitter haters in a matter of months because the game will never live up to the insane hype their minds have created for it.

It's the circle of (mmorpg) life! image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

I don't have much of an opinion of the game itself one way or another since I'm not planning on playing it, so I certainly would not deride or speak out "against" SC.  I have a major problem with allowing people to buy very powerful starships early and thus gain a monumental advantage over others, and so I'm simply going to stay away from this game.  However, there are apparently lots of folks out there who have no problem with this system, and as far as I'm concerned, more power to you if you are one of the backers of SC.

That being said, considering the amount of vitriol and hatred I have seen spewed by the game's "fans", even though the game isn't even close to release and none of them have played it at all, makes me wonder if some of them aren't paid posters, or perhaps working directly for the devs.  What's equally strange to me, in fairness, is the same amount of hatred I've seen from the other corner, even though not even one of the "anti-SC" crowd has played the game at all, either.

All in all I just think this is kind of a weird situation, and honestly I simply cannot see the game living up to its hype.  I say that because of the countless other MMOs that have been hyped into platinum, then turn into turds.

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

IDK dude- I think its a cult. I am sure there are secret handshakes and meeting in sewers happening all across the globe.

Its... Insane TBH.

They maybe used paid posters at the start idk- If so they dont need 'em anymore. 

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

It's not hard to see why some people keep defending this kind of game when they have invested so much into it.

Heck, a (pretty rich) member of a previous guild I was in had put a baffling $50000 into the project.

It's just too big to fail for some people.

To be honest, although I'm extremely critical about all of it, I pray to god that it still delivers eventually. 

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Heck, a (pretty rich) member of a previous guild I was in had put a baffling $50000 into the project.

Wow. That would be guaranteed to keep me awake at night, or cause me to wake up in cold sweats...  Insane amount of money to donate to a video game, almost criminal when you think what could be done with it.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

Wow. That would be guaranteed to keep me awake at night, or cause me to wake up in cold sweats...  Insane amount of money to donate to a video game, almost criminal when you think what could be done with it.

I spend that much on a night at the bar. =P

I also exchange hundreds of thousands of dollars for canadian Dollars and then burn them in my fireplace for the lulz.

...Actually im lying. Im poor   =(

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

To answer your tittle.

The same as I think of "haters" they are all just opinions from some unknown random person. Enjoy reading both of them but in the end nothing beats my own personal experiance as to why I might like or not like a game.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Well, he was the kind of guy who would spend thousands of dollars on loot roulettes and RNG boxes in other F2P titles as well.

I don't think I have a right to say what people do with their money. That said, I still can't help but feel disgusted by it anyhow.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• motanilamotanila Member UncommonPosts: 152

Well, he was the kind of guy who would spend thousands of dollars on loot roulettes and RNG boxes in other F2P titles as well.

I don't think I have a right to say what people do with their money. That said, I still can't help but feel disgusted by it anyhow.

To be honest i put also couple hundreds in the game, before they have reached 10 mil.

50k is a bit much but i guess everything is relative, maybe for him 50k is less than couple hundred for me.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

About the same that I think about those whose hatred of Star Citizen has blinded them to any concept of reality... One can't reason with fanatics.

But at least the SC fanatics have something positive in their favor.  Not to mention that this IS Chris Roberts.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Clearly, you are a paid shill for EVE Online, which surely has an interest in seeing Star Citizen fail to gather the interest of any of their customers.
    Originally posted by motanila

To have a better understanding of how public opinion is manipulated...

There.  See how paranoia works?  This topic is nonsense.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    if someone spend thousands dolars on pixels ,it is normal to be an fanatical fan boyz out reality
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

They're not paid shills.

What they are is delusional. MMO player retention is pretty poor. So, being conservative 50-60% of them are going to be pissed at the final version of the game and leave within the first month. And that's extremely conservative in terms of retention, one of the highest retention games is amusingly enough Farmville with a whopping 10% player retention!

For example WoW previously boasted 100 million lifetime players (aka 100 million people have at some point played WoW), If they have 7 million subs, that's 7% retention. Yes, still wildly successful, but that also means there's a metric ton of people who also tried WoW and hated it or simply kinda didn't like it or were just meh about it or whatever.

People can donate as much money as they want to their dream game, that's fine. But Star Citizen is going to produce many tears when it releases. It cannot please everyone who backed it.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

The same thing I think about the ferocious haters.

EDIT:

And the people that make posts about it.

• Broken.ArrowBroken.Arrow Member UncommonPosts: 84

On this site there are a bunch of very special people who think that a potential scam of unprecedented proportions is something to be considered "positive". I mean the writings are clearly on the wall, but since its their precious they choose to knowingly turn a blind eye to all and every red flag flying an inch away from their face.

Worst yet, neutrality has gone the way of the dodo when it involves star citizen or its affiliated Chris Roberts baby seal fan clubbing. I mean at the end of the day he is just a man with a dream, so why some people put him on a pedestal and praise the Dear Leader like obedient fanatics, is something that I will never understand. 

And if it can get any worse...this garbage site barely got any moderators who arent on a leash which isnt tied a foot away from the money sacks. All and every raging hater should be swiftly dealt with, so should all trolls and fight mongers. But there is absolutely no logic in letting shills and fanatics get away with spewing over the top BS. If the sole reason for letting them do so is because their BS is supposed to be "positive", even when in all honesty it is anything but, then a sad bunch of animals we have become. 

When sane headed and legitimate fans hold rapport with the naysayers and skeptics, then the purpose of such a forum on mmorpg.com will be achieved. But when you got full blown crazies flooding this forum with star fanatic catch phrases, then it is bound to provoke a bunch of anti-star fanatics to post a bit of their mind which will further lead to back and forth baiting and repeated logic degradation. And repeat this ad nauseam (until this game Finally release and silences whichever side) and the purpose of having a forum for constructive discussion is utterly defeated.

Well whatever, I was a backer for this game but I no longer am one. But crash and burn or soar into the sky...Star Citizen might turn out to be one of the best sources of entertainment in a long while. 

---

A proud User of [[Adblock Plus]], to block out all the bullshit paid advertisements (also read as "game reviews") spam on mmorpg.com. 

----

I was banned for pointing out the obvious faults in a game 2 months before it released.
    Now after release, repeating the very same words from back then would be like preaching to the choir on this site.
  • IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    They will ruin SC with their God worship of Chris and their silencing of any criticism.
  • CalavryCalavry Member UncommonPosts: 113

I don't think they are paid shills either.

What I do think is it will all end in tears.

Disclaimer. I am a backer of Star Citizen. A very minor one it appears compared to some.

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515

I think the anti star citizen crowd really should stop trying so hard.i see more threads trying so hard to bash star citizen then i do anything the star citizen fans ever post about.pattern i noticed is most of the bashers seem to know very little about the development of the game to begin with.

then again i must remind myself what website this is heh lol

too many mmo's these days to waste your time spewing negativity over games you're not into i say

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409

Thanks to the OP for posting that link to that story.

Unfortunately you have to read a lot of forum posts and be very skeptical.

In America we have the same thing happening.  The only difference we don't do it in the shadows.

We give them legitimacy by calling them Public Relations firm.

http://www.ayzenberg.com/#/clients/

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Every game has it's rabid supporters, some more than others.  Let's be honest SC is nowhere near gw2 pre-launch levels.  I'm hesitant to believe anyone is getting paid.  I also think if they were professionals their posts would be better written and less aggressive.

The real life version of the pay to win model has many militant vocal supporters so it's not shocking that the MMO space ship version has a few as well.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Like your avatar picture is in no way intended to manipulate the outcome of this poll? Couldn't that be considered be being paid to be critical toward the game?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Well, now wait a minute, let's look at that from a different point of view.

You might think that is a lot of money but I remember working at an accounting firm where people were paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for their quarterly taxes. The would just send the check "just tell me how much it is I'll write a check".

As far as "what can be done with that money" we can say that about anything.

Do we really need to buy another $50+ game when that money can do significant good when given to any number of charities or causes. Or even local causes.

And, in the end, that money is helping to employee people which to me is a great way to use money.

Being a game developer, no matter where you are in your career, is sort of a difficult profession. Not a lot of stability. So any job one can get might be a welcome job until the next time they need a job.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
This discussion has been closed.