Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Headset noise

majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Hi.

I got a HyperX Cloud gaming headset, and I have constant background noise with it. It uses not the USB but that other type of jack. 

I tried both plugging it into the Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3SH mainboard (there I get constant background noise) and into the front of the case (there I have no background noise but a constant high pitched noise). Playback and recording in general work, but the background noise is just not acceptable (if it would be a 5$-headset I'd be fine with it), whereas that high-pitched sound if connected to the case is just headache-inducing.

I also have a soundcard in the computer, to which my 5.1 sound system is connected. I assume that the headset would work ok if connected to the soundcard, but I don't want to crawl under the desk to plug and unplug cables each time I switch.

I considered using an USB-adapter, since I had no problems with my old usb-headset (until it broke), but I wasn't sure if that would help.

Anyone got any advice? Thanks.

Edit: if I plug the headset into the soundcard, I have zero static at all. But, as said, that would require me crawling around under the desk each time I want to switch from headset to the regular sound system. Is it possible to have two sound-cards installed at the same time? Maybe a USB-one for the headset, and the soundblaster for the regular sound system? Or are they then in conflict?

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Comments

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Thanks for the reply. I guess that the headset itself is fine, since, as I tried it now in the soundcard, there is zero static.  I assume that some Y-kabels might do the trick.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

It's not ideal solution, but would a cable splitter work? It's not guaranteed to work though, I know of some occasions when audio cable splitter has caused strange problems

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Male-to-2x-Female-Audio-Y-Splitter-Cable-for-Speaker-Earphone-Headphones-/351361663836

EDIT: An extension cable would be more certain way to work. You don't need to duck under the desk to switch cables if you use an extension cable to bring the audio port to a more convenient location, then just switch what's attached to the extension cable.

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-40408-Female-Extension/dp/B0012MMW7E

PS. The products linked do not mean I'd recommend just those products, I just googled something and pasted the first example I found so that you can see what kind of cables I mean.

EDIT 2: An USB adapter would also likely work, especially if you've previously had a working USB headset

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

If you have no issues when connected to your sound card than the issue is with the motherboard's sound hardware.  If you're trying to connect to to a jack on your case that has the problem then you  might try reseating it's cable connection  on the motherboard. You can also look to see if there are connections on your sound card that is intended for use with front of case jacks.

If your PC case is open you may be getting radio frequency interference (RFI) from a source outside the case..

If the motherboard is under warranty you can try to get the warranty honored. 

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Thanks for the suggestions.

I already got the mainboard for a long time, so no warranty on that. Yes, the cable splitter is what I'll try next. If that doesn't work, I'll try a usb-soundcard for the headset.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

My experience with onboard soundcards is that you always hear background noise from datatransfers made on the harddrive and CD/DVD drive. Somehow the board manufacturers never got to tackle that issue and it honestly annoys the hell out of my. Therefore I've always used a physical soundcard.

As suggested above, try the headset as an USB device. If that doesn't do the trick, get a physical soundcard.