Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite: Dangerous: Now Available on Steam

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In an unexpected move this week, Frontier released Elite: Dangerout on Steam. New players can grab a copy for $59.99 with existing players able to add Elite: Dangerous to the Steam Library through the "non-Steam game" option.

The Elite: Dangerous Steam version will be updated automatically when logging into the client.

Check out the Elite: Dangerous Steam page for more information.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Pretty smart move for Braben. He constantly shows great wisdom dealing with game logistics

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Pretty smart move for Braben. He constantly shows great wisdom dealing with game logistics

QFT! That's actually pretty awesome. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

My list of games I like to play but are not on Steam just fell from 2 to 1.

Wurm is all that is left.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• samurai225samurai225 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    So now it is the waiting game for a sale...
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Originally posted by samurai225

I dont doubt it will happen along the way. But probably not before winter sale

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

Before you waste 60$ on this "game" check out their official forums. Most people only like the game for an hour or so before realising there is nothing to do. You almost never meet any other players it's basically singleplayer. It's an empty shell of a game where you can fly around a randomly generated boring map.

It's basically like those truck simulator games but in space. Bring cargo to x system. That is the depth of gameplay.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Right :)

That reads like a classic case of "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

The game has ~1000 purchases per day and has raised $25million to date. If most people only played for an hour before ditching - it would be mainstream media news.

Official forums are always a hotbed for complaints, that's the same for every game.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by Sketch420

Before you waste 60$ on this "game" check out their official forums. Most people only like the game for an hour or so before realising there is nothing to do. You almost never meet any other players it's basically singleplayer. It's an empty shell of a game where you can fly around a randomly generated boring map.

It's basically like those truck simulator games but in space. Bring cargo to x system. That is the depth of gameplay.

No, just no.

I can understand some people can't get to grasp with a sandbox space game... but for those that do, it's an amazing experience.

I usually get bored with 9/10 games I play but I've been playing ED for months and I'm still not bored.

It has a certain charisma to it's gameplay that makes me feel all fuzzy inside when I'm engulfed in that gorgeous space scenery accompanied by the wonderful sounds of my ships engines.

It's a niche game (and I love it for that) so the game isn't for everyone.

If you're fortunate enough to have a Rift it's a practically a given that you should try ED since it's the best experience by far with the headset.

..Cake..

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by sgel

I can understand some people can't get to grasp with a sandbox space game...

I've never gotten why in god's name people keep calling ED a "sandbox". Where exactly is the sand? You can't make anything, you can't own anything, by the game's very nature (P2P architecture, single-player mode, to name two factors) you can't even control a single station by force. There's little to no meaningful economy. Even the political "background sim" is actually controlled and 'tweaked' by FDEV.

Whatever else one wishes to call ED, "sandbox" just seems like an absurd stretch.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

+1

I'm playing Alien: Isolation now cause it was 75% off last week.  I'm in no hurry.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Originally posted by Myria
    Originally posted by sgel

I can understand some people can't get to grasp with a sandbox space game...

I've never gotten why in god's name people keep calling ED a "sandbox". Where exactly is the sand? You can't make anything, you can't own anything, by the game's very nature (P2P architecture, single-player mode, to name two factors) you can't even control a single station by force. There's little to no meaningful economy. Even the political "background sim" is actually controlled and 'tweaked' by FDEV.

Whatever else one wishes to call ED, "sandbox" just seems like an absurd stretch.

It's not as sandbox as some other games but it is a sandbox.

Just because you can't build something doesn't mean you're not chucked into a world with no rails and are able to do what  you please (from what's available).

It's still a game in it's infancy and a lot more sandboxy features are meant to be added.

..Cake..

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by Sketch420

In a game like this I wouldn't want player interaction to be normal, because that would bring too much griefing. The universe is vast beyond comprehension so it only makes sense that you don't see alot of players. 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Octagon7711

+1

I'm playing Alien: Isolation now cause it was 75% off last week.  I'm in no hurry.

^ That's a great game BTW! ^

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by Octagon7711

+1

^ That's a great game BTW! ^

Indeed, I'm really enjoying it!  And the
    'Last Survivor' DLC tho short was really enjoyable.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

He has no choice but to make this move. The games ratings are tanking because of lack of content. This at least gives them some much needed revenue.

Originally posted by TheOctagon

He has no choice but to make this move. The games ratings are tanking because of lack of content. This at least gives them some much needed revenue.

It's already sold better than they expected.

It's done very well for the first iteration of their game.

..Cake..

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

And those sales were probably based on videos and Dev commentary on how the game was supposed to be, and how fast new content was to be added.

This game started out on such a high note, then they started changing things and taking content out that people had specifically bought the game for.(Single Player anyone?) Turning it into another game that was pushed out the door way before it was ready.

Once people actually saw how limited the game was once they got in, the numbers have dropped. You can tell by how their deleting posts and banning accounts for any negative comments posted on their forums. The trainwreck has begun and their fighting to keep it on the rails.

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

BUYERS BEWARE: ED is a not a sandbox game. I am a backer since dec. and I can promise you this game has no element that is sandbox. Sandbox games let you create the world you live in with player dependent crafting, player ran economy, player housing, player ran governments etc.. the only thing players DO in this game is deliver things to other stations. Much like a glorified truck simulator game. Nothing that you do actually impacts the world "universe" you live in. Although it is a HUGE universe to travel thats the most you are gonna do here is travel. Im being 100% honest. They have time to develop it more and make it better im sure, but as it is now, I would wait until they add something to actually do to the game.. besides delivery. Again.. this is just my opinion of the state of the game right now. Also plan on seeing literally NOBODY in the game. I can count on 1 hand how many players ive ran into. I love the idea of ED.. dont get me wrong.. massive universe to travel in, different amazing ships.. but we want to do more than just simply travel and deliver things. Its borderline truck simulator in space 2015 currently. Heres to hoping it changes and we get planet landing etc soon. Give us gamers more credit.. we want more than just a pretty sun or pretty planets to look at in space sims. The devs are claiming sandbox but its far from it. 

TLDR: Save your money right now, wait until more is added. 

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

Sorry but you're wrong. The investor report from mid January showed backer numbers to be 300,000 or so, before going on Steam there were 420,000 backers, the game was selling at a rate of 1000 units a day and had raised $25 million - that's pretty damn good for a niche game.

This is primarily about Valve's VR and how well Elite works with things like the Oculus.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

There's plenty of Sandbox. Players can change entire systems through the influence system:

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Influence

They put out a massive free patch every month. This month is the Mac client. Next month is 1.3 which they have said is their biggest content patch yet.

If you don't like the game, that's on you. There are plenty who do like it and the game is still growing.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Still a half finished game that is not worth $60 in any shape or form IMO.  Still cracks me up that you can crash your ship into a space station, like any space station would ever let a ship dock manually.  

Mentioning this game with the word "Sandbox" tells the rest of us that you have zero clue what the word means.  

That's really poor logic because once you start going down the road of "As if ..." then you wouldn't have a game anymore, virtually everything would be automated. The only thing you'd do manually is plot your destination or select a target.

It strikes me more as a open-world / open-choice game than a sandbox, but there are certainly sandbox elements to it. Seems a strange thing to get hung up on.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    There are a couple reasons why you can crash into a space station ozmodan, the first is that elite fans wanted it, it's a nod to the original game, the second is that it requires a little skill from the player, which is more fun than the iwindock button.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Still a half finished game that is not worth $60 in any shape or form IMO.  Still cracks me up that you can crash your ship into a space station, like any space station would ever let a ship dock manually.  

Mentioning this game with the word "Sandbox" tells the rest of us that you have zero clue what the word means.  

Yea, I am still waiting for that magical sandbox game to appear.

Here it is folks, the worlds first MMO sandbox!   Its a box with sand!! 

Here are your pails and shovels.   Now go and play, and leave the adults to their own games.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!