Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the "western" gamers playing these days?

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
I'm truly curious. I bet I'll see 30 replays with 15-20 different games, but I hope I'm wrong. Of course, in terms of "character progression" multiplayer games.

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Why do you want to see little variety?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Honestly most western gamers are not playing much. The genre is dying and the what's next hype train is getting old. This is my opinion of course. Just about every new game I try; i get this overwhelming urge to uninstall it. Nothing holds my attention anymore, and if it does I get to end game and realize its pay to win or just too boring to continue. Sorry for the negativity...

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Is this western as in wild west or western as in not asian?
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Originally posted by ceratop001
    Honestly most western gamers are not playing much. The genre is dying and the what's next hype train is getting old. This is my opinion of course. Just about every new game I try; i get this overwhelming urge to uninstall it. Nothing holds my attention anymore, and if it does I get to end game and realize its pay to win or just too boring to continue. Sorry for the negativity...

Me too.

I played UO and loved the design with some exceptions (like rampant PKing in particular).

I skipped EQ because I saw it was a Themepark before we called them that.

I did play DAoC. WoW, CoH, and a few others. Loved the many little things WoW did so well, really liked a few things from every one of them, but in the end they were Themepark games and just didn't hold me.

These years, I haven't played anything in MMOs. I play some Skyrim just to play something, Modded heavily towards "worldly". 

My son and his girlfriend play a variety of stuff, MOBAs and such. He plays a little WoW once in a while and some UO private server, but not a lot. He's been looking like I have.

Once upon a time....

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

playing......nothing

Waiting for Camelot Unchained.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I reckon ther fixin t' russle up some chow

• Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I reckon ther fixin t' russle up some chow

+1 for roleplay, pardna.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

Me too.

I played UO and loved the design with some exceptions (like rampant PKing in particular).

I did play DAoC. WoW, CoH, and a few others. Loved the many little things WoW did so well, really liked a few things from every one of them, but in the end they were Themepark games and just didn't hold me.

These years, I haven't played anything in MMOs. I play some Skyrim just to play something, Modded heavily towards "worldly". 

My son and his girlfriend play a variety of stuff, MOBAs and such. He plays a little WoW once in a while and some UO private server, but not a lot. He's been looking like I have.

I'm always looking but sadly anything I want to get into seems to be always in development.  I browse game review forums more then I play actual games nowadays. I refuse to pay for early alpha access anymore. That's a huge scam these review sites have failed to talk about with any conviction. Any real gamer with a soul has basically given up on mmorpgs. Which is sad because there is a real market for it.

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Waiting on CU.

Got caught in the hype train for the GW2 expansion but lost interest after seeing their idea of content for WvW and SPvP was to add more PvE to the game play.

Playing a little HotS and HS to pass the time. Neither game really wows me mainly due to how shallow and underwhelming the depth is. But hey, it gets me through the day.
  • csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Waiting for Patheon.

Just stopped playing FF XIV about 2 weeks ago, couldn't take the endless dungeon queue anymore. I'm just getting started in playing Warframe and Destiny. Might even boot up Dragon Age Inquisition. Bought the game and havent even touched it yet.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Presumably eastern games are acceptable as long as the gamer themselves is "western"?

• FFXIV. It got me to buy it after the trial, but only playing once every other day or so.  Was enjoying my Thaumaturge's rotation (a decently deep rotation around managing mana supply) but wanted to get into grouping more often and when I switched to Conjurer (who is a healer apparently) I was extremely disappointed in the very repetitive rotation (nuke+dot and that's it so far.)  
    • [NDA game]
    • Heroes & Generals.  Lots of problems, and low graphics fidelity, but it's an ambitious WW2 FPS/Strategy hybrid.  I've been itching for a WW2 FPS the past year or two, so was happy to find this one.  It has a ton of potential if they take it in the right direction, but they really walk the line in places.  I might find myself returning to Planetside 2 for my FPS gaming after my frustration gets too high.
    On weekends sometimes I get enough time to hit my second stringers:
    • Darkest Dungeon
    • Sniper Elite 3
    • Heroes of the Storm
    • Cities Skylines
    • Evolve
    And of course boardgames:
    • Innovation.  Fantastic card game that takes you from the stone age to the information age.
    • Dead of Winter.  Survive winter in a zombie apocalypse.  Mostly cooperative, but where there might be a betraying player (like the games Mafia/Werewolf.)
    • Tzolk'in The Mayan Calendar.  A boardgame with a gear! A serious 2-3 hour worker-placement game with plenty of strategy and many paths to victory.
    • Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation.  It's like Stratego.  But faster.  And asymmetric!  With strategic cards and bluffing!

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Single-player games. I'm playing through my backlog and am currently doing Baldur's Gate EE. My MMO future looks bleak. I'm sick of decade-old stale-ass design choices devs keep making over and over again. If somebody makes a MMO that's a good game, I'll play it. If someone makes standard MMO with a focus on community, I'll probably play that too. Everyone else can fuck off with their shit combat, shit AI, shit worlds, shit questing and shit everything else they keep thinking they can put minimal resources in because we've accepted how they've been doing them for so long.
  • DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Nothing.

There's a giant list of korean games id love to play but probably never will because western gamers seem to blanketly hate asian games, so they have been getting less and less NA publishers.

There is not a single western MMO worth playing these days.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    FFXIV, GW2 and ESO.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

God, it's worse than I expected ;p

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Kopogero
    Was waiting for that. Pretty sure this was the point of the thread.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

By what measure of "worse"?

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Not playing any "character progression" multiplayer games.  I am not planning to either - don't see appeal with what industry is willing to offer.

---------------------------

If you want long version then:

Nothing interesting in MMORPG.  I am not interested in other types of MMOs.

For non-MMO mutliplayer games with character progression:

I was playing Path of Exile, after it went open beta - really well done h&s game, but I've stopped because:

- having to regrind same maps&story 3 times if you either want to make "full build" or play on high difficulty for each character

- I don't like that it has cash shop

For games with progression many players play games like World of Tanks, but personally last thing I want in PVP mutliplayer. especially lobby one is to grind stuff and having microtransactions.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    You guys are just getting trolled by an anime-emo kid from ontario. Have fun.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

MMORPG-wise, I'm just playing Final Fantasy XIV.

Otherwise, I'm just playing games on my Wii U.  Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8, and coming soon, Splatoon. Fun times. :)

<3

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

Me too.

You skipped EQ because you thought it was themepark but went to wow..............................................................................

Edited: to remove one .

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    Evolve, and endless legend
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I'm truly curious. I bet I'll see 30 replays with 15-20 different games, but I hope I'm wrong. Of course, in terms of "character progression" multiplayer games.

My 2 main games by absolute margin are Swtor and Wow. Then in middle from time to time Gw2, maybe will return to Wildstarr, ...

• mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    dota 2 since there is not any mmorpg out thats amazing.. i play ff14 arr off and on but that game gets boring fast and it's to easy.. i mainly use dota 2 as a time waster since the game takes 30-1hour per match.
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

MMO wise I'd say nothing, world of warcraft is still sitting at the top without to much of a worry.

The moba genre seems to really be taking most of the multiplayer gaming audience with League of legends and DotA2