Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your all-time favorite MMORPG game?

I have my own favorites, but maybe you could toss in your own suggestions in this thread and also lets have a vote on it here:

http://www.rkursem.com/poll/view.php?id=69cc485bf3e2efcb9

Comments

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

For overall MMO:

Dark Age of Camelot. Damn near perfect design. Balance between PvE, crafting, and PvP was amazing.

For PvE, Vanguard. The dungeons and world are UNMATCHED.

For straight PvP: Darkfall.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    If pressed I am going to say UO. :)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by razmoduck

I have my own favorites, but maybe you could toss in your own suggestions in this thread and also lets have a vote on it here:

City of Heroes.

Thanks but no thanks on the click bait vote opportunity.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

PvE:  EQ1

PvP:  Darkfall

• Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    IMO, UO hands down. 
  • DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

I'm still partial to Earth and Beyond. An MMO that had an actual Explorer class.

Of the more widely known MMOs, I'd say EQ1 was pretty special. I STILL have the game loaded on my PC, and play it a few times a year even though I've moved on to the newer generation of MMOs.

As for PvP, I'd say WWII Online is my favorite all time MMO. Pure skill, no gear grind or FotM builds.

• BulletToothBulletTooth Member UncommonPosts: 30
    DAoC I feel that no mmo has since captured the quality of balance between the pvp and pve. This game always offered the funnest gameplay whether it was small scale pve or large scale pvp. 
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

PvE: EQ1

PvP: EQ1 because no one else had anything worth PvPing over.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Overall MMO: GW2

For Lore: WoW

For Graphics and Crafting: FFXIV

For Class Flexibility: ESO

For Combat: GW2 (ESO didnt win this one for me because of the lame mob targetting/highlighting required to use non-ground spells)

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Aion...sadly. ^^
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Horizons had the best flight and housing(dragon laircrafting was insanely nice)

Everquest had the best endgame raids and endgame period with the AAs that extended leveling past levels.

Warhammer had the best scenario based RVR.

Asheron's Call had the best loot slot machine.

Rift had the best spontaneous events.

Rift and Everquest 2 tied for best shinies(collections).

DaoC had the best world RVR.

Vanguard is worth an honorable mention for the Diplomacy system that they failed to do enough with.

---

The absence of crafting as a winner is purposeful.  No game has won that yet.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Archeage! - HA! Take that haters! =P
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Am I really going to be the first to say this?

Pre-CU SWG.

Not my first by a long shot, but certainly the one that I miss the most.

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Star Wars Galaxies Pre-NGE for definite

imageimage

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Star Wars Galaxies

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by razmoduck

Wow & Swtor.

• ashe59ashe59 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    sniff ....i miss my doomsayer in shadowbane
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Lineage 2 because of the social aspect, and slower progression.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Despite it's bugs and flaws it would still be pre-NGE SWG overall for me.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• LoregabaLoregaba Member UncommonPosts: 19
    SWG before the big change. Everyone was busy, playing non stop till falling asleep. We were in awe. So many things to do...
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by Darwa

Am I really going to be the first to say this?

Pre-CU SWG.

Not my first by a long shot, but certainly the one that I miss the most.

Pre-CU SWG here too. The community/economy system in that game was great. Probably the only mmorpg I've ever played where I didn't feel pressured into playing a combat roll or risk missing out on the (primary mechanic) that the game is centered around like in most MMO's.

Though I did still enjoy PVP. I think it was at it's best shortly after player cities took off, and guilds would organize raids against enemy faction guild cities. It's the only time I ever felt like I played a vital roll. My first tree was master commando, and it fit perfectly into the roll of busting up faction base turrets. Not to mention the feeling of destroying a structure that another player no doubt put hundreds of thousands if not millions of credits into maintaining.

Changing factions was a rush too. Played imperial for along time, then went rebel. Then make a few rebel friends and start killing stormtroopers outside of a starport only to to end up having some imperial players you used to play with frequently go overt after seeing me, whilst they say things in chat like "why'd you betray us?"

• KieanKiean Member UncommonPosts: 1

Lineage 2 - Forced Social PVE cause of the grind factor but it was more the accountability factor of it.  If your going to be silly and try and solo elite mobs you risk  exp/gear. You want to go around Playing killing people you risk losing gear depending on how many people you pk. You want to PVP  or in a mass pvp area go hard.  I still remember 100's of people outside of Aden castle overthrowing an  lame guild that  was unreasonable with taxes.  Good times.

FFXIV: was just fun  shame being Australian the  latency delay made extreme modes very frustrating.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    PreCU SWG here as well.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242

Warhammer Online - I never had so much fun in an MMO. I hope Camelot Unchained will have a bit of WAR`s magic.

Vanilla/BC WoW would be the close second, and in both cases I have PvP/RvR in mind before anything else.

PS I`m pleasantly surprised to see WAR so high on the list  :)

W...aaagh?
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

DAOC....I've played it on and off since Day 1.

Currently not playing........ as I wait for Camelot Unchained and get real world things done.