Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Play Now?

2»

Comments

• romanswinterromanswinter Member UncommonPosts: 74
    If i sign up and get it now, will my character be wiped when the game goes officially live?
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

It is apparent this dev team requires committed players willing to pay to play while allowing this game to develop. 

It is also clearly apparent to me that I am not willing to be a long term paying tester for a game I am not yet convinced is the Pathfinder/D&D style game I want.

You stay sassy!

• Fanndis_GoldbraidFanndis_Goldbraid Member UncommonPosts: 53
    romanswinter, no, there are no more wipes. If you started today you would have the character you create as long as the game runs. The last wipe was on/about 30 December 2014.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Originally posted by romanswinter
    If i sign up and get it now, will my character be wiped when the game goes officially live?

No Roman.. and their in lays the problem.  This is a PvP territory control game with partial looting.  Your character gains XP over time (not played time.. just X amount per day of sub time).  So your choice is to pay to play what I consider to be a late Alpha / very early Beta, or play at "Open Enrollment" and be a year or MORE behind in character development.

That, more than anything is why this game is doomed.  The Echo Chamber of a few dozen folks on the forum have pat GW on the back and congratulated them on this plan.  They are just greasing their path to the edge of the cliff...

The population in game is tiny... as the "free" sub time that came with the Kickstarter packages run out... it will dwindle even more.  Many who stop playing will never go back because of the way XP is accumulated.  They will forever be behind those that continue to pay a sub through to the "Open Enrollment" start.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by nennafir
    Originally posted by Tokken

I can't believe they charge a subscription for an alpha. To me that's terrible. We should be testing the game for them for free or for a founders pack, but not WITH a subscription. The game is far from being complete.

Yeah, I backed them in Kickstarter at the Adventurer level, but have no intention of throwing more money down the toilet.  The idea of paying for a "Minimal Viable Product" (nice that they thought up a new phrase so they didn't have to say pay for alpha here) does not appeal to me.

I am disappointed in the stance Goblinworks has taken on this.  It doesn't bode well for the future.  I can't help but think that any game that actually emerges will be hopelessly pay-to-win based on the greed demonstrated by a paid alpha.

Oh well, live and learn.  I am definitely learning not to back kickstarters.  It is much easier just to wait and see what happens, and then buy a game if/when it actually is created.

Minimum Viable Product is a standard term in the startup industry, we use it all the time, Goblinworks did not make it up.

See "Startup Owners Manual" by Steve Blank and Bob Dorf, and maybe "The Lean Startup" by Eric Ries, or "Business Model Generation" by Osterwalder and Pigneur.

What Goblinworks is doing is fairly standard stuff, but... they might not really have a minimum viable product just yet. Clearly Cloud Imperium Games / Roberts Space Industries has a good racket in the imaginary spaceship insurance business, so who can really say? Only the customer can decide what is viable, as far as a purchase is concerned. Maybe Goblinworks should sell "Sword Insurance", I really cannot say. EVE online in a fantasy setting has been asked for many times, but the delivery is questionable.

You be the judge. That is the only way it can work.