Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively Overrated.

13»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by fascism
    I agree this game is just the sims for fat nerds

As opposed to the people who think any video game is for nerds?

I certainly hope you appreciate that irony.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Sovrath

As opposed to the people who think any video game is for nerds?

I certainly hope you appreciate that irony.

Man! I totally remember when all video games were for nerds. That was a good time. Thank goodness we advanced beyond Poltergeist for Atari 2600. To this day I still have NO IDEA!! what you were trying to accomplish in that game. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by Kaputzy

I get it, I really do. After all, I'm a massive RPG fan myself, I want these games to be stellar too, but it's truly cringe-worthy knowing people are fooling themselves and reading reviews that are so over-hyped it really gives credence to the notion of, and term: Fanbois.

It's amazing how this genre does this more than any other I know. 'Hey, here's a decent RPG and it's new' always seems to turn into: 'OMFG better than BG/BG2. 10/10 would suck it's co*k again.

Disclaimer: This is a fun game, worth the money (the story is particularly well written, well done). If you're into true RPG's you'll like it.

However, it doesn't add anything to the genre, is riddled with bugs and IS NOT a 10, or even 9 out of 10.

TYVM, goodnight.

Dear OP, Did you know the makers of PoE ALSO made BG1 and 2?  AND planescape torment, AND neverwinter Nights?

So the comparison is a valid one...  And yes, it is better than their previous games.

Quick correction, they merely published BG1 and 2, Bioware were the makers, I don't think they had anything to do with NWN. Their games would be Fallout 2 (which most of the key team made fallout 1 as well). Icewind dale, and Planescape.

That's correct when they were called "Black Isle." As Obsidian, they also developed NW Nights 2, KOTOR - The Sith Lords, Alpha Protocol, Fallout New Vegas, Dungeon Siege III, Southpark The Stick of Truth and Wastelands 2... pretty damn good track record if you ask me.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Are you someone's mom?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Iselin

Are you someone's mom?

can you tell?

• FistyMayhemFistyMayhem Member UncommonPosts: 61

I'm quite liking it..  I have run into one very annoying bug, the one where you can't zone out of the Duc's keep without crashing, I had to load an earlier save and wait to do that part til they patch it.  Other than that, the story is very solid and engaging so far, the mechanics are solid though a bit on the micro managing side for my tastes.  The boss fight right before you get your own keep is very annoying with the automatic story that starts and then combat right after in that tiny room with a table in the worst place, it's really hard to get your characters in a good spot.  I really like that there are areas you can freely go but will utterly hand you your ass if you try the first time you're in that area, it makes the world feel a lot less like it's on rails.

But yeah, solid game, I would give it 9/10 on my scales... and I could care less if someone wants to label me a fangirl for liking a game.

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

I still think it is a nine. Most of the major bugs can be avoided even though as a backer I am disappointed that some of those bugs were present.

That being said, it is still a wonderful game and, along with games like Dead State, Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin, I am able to see a resurgence of the style of RPG that was never dead and should have never went away. 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I get it, I really do. After all, I'm a massive RPG fan myself, I want these games to be stellar too, but it's truly cringe-worthy knowing people are fooling themselves and reading reviews that are so over-hyped it really gives credence to the notion of, and term: Fanbois.

It's amazing how this genre does this more than any other I know. 'Hey, here's a decent RPG and it's new' always seems to turn into: 'OMFG better than BG/BG2. 10/10 would suck it's co*k again.

Disclaimer: This is a fun game, worth the money (the story is particularly well written, well done). If you're into true RPG's you'll like it.

However, it doesn't add anything to the genre, is riddled with bugs and IS NOT a 10, or even 9 out of 10.

TYVM, goodnight.

A game does not need to brnig new things to the genre to get a high rating it jsut has to be good.. and you know what Pillars is bloody good and well deserving of the scores it is getting.. and for me game of the year so far.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Yeah it's definitely not some cool and hardcore like a MOBA or something where you can drink mountain dew and hot pockets while screaming profanities at 12 year olds for being noobs all day long...

It's also definitely not as rich or intense as Dofus ... /facepalm... fucking today's generation sucks

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

I wish my companions were smart enough to at least do basic attacks once in a while, or how about go around the chair to attack instead of acting like your stuck and stand in one spot, or even run past that guy swinging at you if I tell you to hit the guy standing a few feet behind him.

Other than that, I've really enjoyed the game. Made it to ActII on my first playthrough but had to start over since STEAM Achievements were bugged. This will be my play through for the no characters hitting 0 endurance Achievement :) (solo, less than 175kills, less than 10 rests is too intense for me atm)

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

I do like the game, but there are some really nasty bugs out there. Which really isn't all that surprising considering the developer.

I've restarted multiple times now due to bugs. The first one was http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30lmx2/psa_doubleclicking_equipment_bug/

nailed me towards the beginning and I didn't realize it till act 2.

The Second one was the major loading times bug (1+ min to save the game and load a new area). I deleted and reinstalled the game fresh. The save still took forever to save/load, but newer saves seem unaffected (thus far).

And with my current save I am currently experience the Raedric Hold bug that won't let me leave the castle without crashing.

At this point I'm just going to wait for a patch before I try playing again.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by angerbeaver

I wish my companions were smart enough to at least do basic attacks once in a while, or how about go around the chair to attack instead of acting like your stuck and stand in one spot, or even run past that guy swinging at you if I tell you to hit the guy standing a few feet behind him.

Other than that, I've really enjoyed the game. Made it to ActII on my first playthrough but had to start over since STEAM Achievements were bugged. This will be my play through for the no characters hitting 0 endurance Achievement :) (solo, less than 175kills, less than 10 rests is too intense for me atm)

Actually, I would settle for a macro system of some sort that would let me prioritize their abilities somehow, instead of pausing every 3 seconds. For me that's the biggest drawback. Love the game, but I see that as being the biggest weakness. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

I do like the game, but there are some really nasty bugs out there. Which really isn't all that surprising considering the developer.

I've restarted multiple times now due to bugs. The first one was http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30lmx2/psa_doubleclicking_equipment_bug/

nailed me towards the beginning and I didn't realize it till act 2.

The Second one was the major loading times bug (1+ min to save the game and load a new area). I deleted and reinstalled the game fresh. The save still took forever to save/load, but newer saves seem unaffected (thus far).

And with my current save I am currently experience the Raedric Hold bug that won't let me leave the castle without crashing.

At this point I'm just going to wait for a patch before I try playing again.

I have been lucky to miss those bugs, even Raedric's Hold. I am going to test it but I think if you do Raedric's Hold before going to see The crazy Watcher, you can miss that bug entirely. I did that with one character and had not one crash or black screen or anything.

I never double-clicked equipment for some reason in this game so dodged that. I was dragging and dropping everything.

And the NPC companions inflated stats is a pretty easy one to dodge. Don't reload a save where you recruited a companion. Or if you do, save with everyone naked. image

With all that said, I really hope the patch comes out today. 

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

TYVM, goodnight.

What Generation are you talking about?

I think some folks pointed out how EVERY GAME is going to have bugs! I personally was expecting that.

I was not following the game at all and if anything with all the great reviews I read and game play videos leading up to release I was pretty turned off by it.

I didn't even bother BETA testing. I went against it by purchased the game anyways taking a chance of losing out on $50 bucks....oh well! IT'S FUCKING GREAT!

This is in fact subjective!

You make think it's great, meh..., or just garbage! ... na it's FUCKING GREAT!

The weekend is just about to start and many hours are about to be spent on a pretty FUCKING GREAT game!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!