Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively Overrated.

Comments

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by reeereee

How can one possibly over-rate nostalgia?  I swear about 2/3 of the people on these boards are desperately seeking to try and recreate an MMO experience they had 10 years ago.

Pillar of Eternity deserves 10/10 for figuring out the one thing almost every gamer in their 30s and 40s was looking for and creating it.

I agree with the sentiment, but nostalgia is being misapplied as it is 99% of the time on this forum.  There are very real, even tangible reasons we like this game and older games like it as well as older MMORPGS.  Calling it nostalgia is relegating it to some ethereal, lofty concept that we do not quite understand or just something similar to a pleasant memory.

Its more than that.  Its the story, the interaction, compelling character driven narrative, meaningful decisions, the open ended feel (while still somewhat linear), the way the game world is almost palpable and sucks you in until 10 hours have past and you're supposed to be waking up and getting ready to work, yet still sitting in front of a game.  That is not "nostalgia", FFS.  Thats just a good game built on the solid concepts that worked in the past and have often been cast aside.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    All that said, I wouldn't give it higher than an 8 of 10.  Two points off for combat that seems to require you to pause and micro-manage every 3 seconds.  If they could offer a little more in the way of AI choices for your party, it would be a solid 10 without batting an eyelash.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Kaputzy

I get it, I really do. After all, I'm a massive RPG fan myself, I want these games to be stellar too, but it's truly cringe-worthy knowing people are fooling themselves and reading reviews that are so over-hyped it really gives credence to the notion of, and term: Fanbois.

It's amazing how this genre does this more than any other I know. 'Hey, here's a decent RPG and it's new' always seems to turn into: 'OMFG better than BG/BG2. 10/10 would suck it's co*k again.

Disclaimer: This is a fun game, worth the money (the story is particularly well written, well done). If you're into true RPG's you'll like it.

However, it doesn't add anything to the genre, is riddled with bugs and IS NOT a 10, or even 9 out of 10.

TYVM, goodnight.

IMO it is overrated - but not "massively".

I feel there's just FAR TOO MUCH unnecessary dialogue in this game - considering how BG had it nicely balanced. The voice acting is - well I am not a fan.

Also since this is based on the edition that forces tank/heal/dps mechanic (4e is my least favorite edition) - it falls short of other Infinity Engine games that allow for far more open groups.

Also I don't feel that this is a spiritual successor to BG - at least not to me - because it falls short of basic features of BG - (like companion AI). Micro managing everything is well - not a step forward, it's a step back.

It's not a bad game by any means, - it's totally worth getting - but yes it is overrated IMO

The amount of healing needed is same as in infinity games, little to none. The only annoying thing is health, and you cant heal that. Wish if there was a switch health/no health mechanic.

And i love theres no sneak attack/crit immune creatures....so far ;)

Dialogue is one of best things. Bu tthen, i actually read stuff in MMOs and watched cutscenes in SWTOR for example so ymmv.

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    I think legends of the sword coast will wipe the floor with this game. Just take the interior of buildings and inns. POE inns are pretty bad compared to LOTSW and that's just one factor.

Sorry, but what you and generally people who approach creative tasks through metrics dont understand is the magic and the soul that a creative process can create. That is what people love, dream about and how classics are created. It is not about bugs, polish or the way interiors of buildings look.

With these projects being so large and having so many people involved plus the western desire to systemize, optimize, regulate, organize, make things accessible, squeeze out max graphics, max fps rates, max resolutions, massive explosions and so on and in the end we are left with good looking but bland and boring crap with no soul, no wonder, no magic.

While POE can be buggy, graphics is not the best, AI is not the best, it's not automated for you, doesn't move the genre forward and probably has lots of other things that could be done better BUT!!! what it is able to do is immerse me into its world, into the characters and into the story.

To me that is so rare today, and I play many MMORPGs and RPGs, that everything else becomes irrelevant, all the technical aspects, all the bugs, graphics, etc. because it does one thing right - it makes me play, it takes me away from its systems and I get into its reality -  that and only that for me is worth a high score (of course it has to work and be playable and look decent but you get my drift). For me none of the AAA mmo's should have a high score because they just don't work any more. 

When it comes to fancy MMOs with massive budgets, voice overs, great graphics, AI. etc like SWTOR for example all I see is systems, soulless creative process, I can see and feel how they are managing my gameplay, I dont buy into the world, they get me into a cash shop and immediately kill any immersion I manage to convince myself is there.

I am willing and looking to be immersed, I want to get away from the everyday into something else so even when playing games like SWTOR I am trying to help the game, but they fuck it up. POE just does it - FAN BLOODY TASTIC!!! Take all my money please, because you are giving me a worthwhile experience that I crave.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I get it, I really do. After all, I'm a massive RPG fan myself, I want these games to be stellar too, but it's truly cringe-worthy knowing people are fooling themselves and reading reviews that are so over-hyped it really gives credence to the notion of, and term: Fanbois.

It's amazing how this genre does this more than any other I know. 'Hey, here's a decent RPG and it's new' always seems to turn into: 'OMFG better than BG/BG2. 10/10 would suck it's co*k again.

Disclaimer: This is a fun game, worth the money (the story is particularly well written, well done). If you're into true RPG's you'll like it.

However, it doesn't add anything to the genre, is riddled with bugs and IS NOT a 10, or even 9 out of 10.

TYVM, goodnight.

You know what I find more amazing than anything else? How people tend to generalize terms like "fanbois". In all honesty, I haven't seen all that many stalwart defenders (crusaders) for the game. I LIKE the game. I think it's refreshing. Makes me glad I backed it and, also, that I backed Torment. In every crowd there's bound to be some red shirts, but that doesn't mean that everyone is a fanboy. I think that it really boils down to people wanting to be "edgy". Go against the grain. So you go and call a collective group of people "fanbois" to boost your Internet "cred" somehow. Thanks again Internet!!!

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Of course it is buggy, it is Obsidian after all. When have they not released a buggy game. Look at NWN2, Alpha Protocol, and KOTOR2. This does not mean that they are not awesome games. I don't think that there has been an Obsidian game that I did not enjoy. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359

it is not a 10/10 and in my book 9/10 doesn't mean it should add something to the genre, rather it should do everything we seen to near perfection and that's what Pillars of Eternity did BUT the CRPG genre was sorta dead so this game and the likes of it are reviving it so a 10/10 in this situation is justified. (only because it is already a 9/10 game) PC is an open platform so there is no Microsoft/Sony helping it. Valve does help but they don't own it.

as for bugs, an RPG without bugs is not an RPG.

as for it's score don't worry it might go below 90/100 on metacrit soon. there is no "PS/Xboxfanboys.com" sites to rate enough 10/10s unlike console exclusives. almost all famous gaming websites are console friendly not PC friendly. they usually don't like these types of games. Look at gamespot, they are yet to review it, probably Kevin Vanord there is the only one that can do it but he was busy with BloodBorne.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

I agree with the OP 1000%.

I am about 20 hours in on PoE and I do not understand all this hype at all.  

It is an ok game,  but it is nothing to act this excited about.  It really does make me suspicious of just who it is hyping this game.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

TYVM, goodnight.

I feel there's just FAR TOO MUCH unnecessary dialogue in this game - considering how BG had it nicely balanced. The voice acting is - well I am not a fan.

Also since this is based on the edition that forces tank/heal/dps mechanic (4e is my least favorite edition) - it falls short of other Infinity Engine games that allow for far more open groups.

Also I don't feel that this is a spiritual successor to BG - at least not to me - because it falls short of basic features of BG - (like companion AI). Micro managing everything is well - not a step forward, it's a step back.

It's not a bad game by any means, - it's totally worth getting - but yes it is overrated IMO

LOL the elf with the scottish accent is a bit hard to swallow.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Of course it is buggy, it is Obsidian after all. When have they not released a buggy game. Look at NWN2, Alpha Protocol, and KOTOR2. This does not mean that they are not awesome games. I don't think that there has been an Obsidian game that I did not enjoy. 

I see you haven't played Armored Warfare yet

AW in CBT, not everyone played it yet.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Malabooga

The amount of healing needed is same as in infinity games, little to none. The only annoying thing is health, and you cant heal that. Wish if there was a switch health/no health mechanic.

You get a companion with an ability to directly heal hp. It's a 1 per rest move at the time you get it. I'm quite certain there's more.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

TYVM, goodnight.

Dear OP, Did you know the makers of PoE ALSO made BG1 and 2?  AND planescape torment, AND neverwinter Nights?

So the comparison is a valid one...  And yes, it is better than their previous games.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

I see you haven't played Armored Warfare yet

Is it that the game isn't buggy, or is it that it sucks? If it is the latter, thanks for the heads up!

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

TYVM, goodnight.

You are quite foolish indeed. It doesn't have to be better then Baldur's Gate to be a 10. The BG series was the pinnacle of turn based RPG's and the fact we finally have another to play is worth shouting about in itself.

Pillars of Eternity was never about breaking new ground, it's about recreating the Baldur's Gate experience and they passed that with flying colors.

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425

I get it, I really do. After all, I'm a massive RPG fan myself,

No, you don't get squat !  Nah,  you're just a wannabe.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367
    It's a great game that pulls you in, but at the same time it's flawed in so many ways. It's could have been so much better, but these flaws really drag it down from the perfect game. 7/8 out of 10 is my take.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

TYVM, goodnight.

You are quite foolish indeed. It doesn't have to be better then Baldur's Gate to be a 10. The BG series was the pinnacle of turn based RPG's and the fact we finally have another to play is worth shouting about in itself.

Pillars of Eternity was never about breaking new ground, it's about recreating the Baldur's Gate experience and they passed that with flying colors.

POE is a strong game for sure but I'm not sure I would put it on the same plane as BG.  It's a bunch of things but chief among them to me is the decision not to reward XP for killing monsters.  Maybe I just need that carrot but it really flattens the experience of exploring a lot.  It's still one of the best games launched in the last 12 months even with it's flaws.

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Originally posted by Ekaros
    It's a great game that pulls you in, but at the same time it's flawed in so many ways. It's could have been so much better, but these flaws really drag it down from the perfect game. 7/8 out of 10 is my take.

So,  you say the game is flawed and that's it? What are you, 12 years old?

What is flawed and what do you base your reasoning on?

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by psiic

TYVM, goodnight.

LOL the elf with the scottish accent is a bit hard to swallow.

Usually it's the Dwarf that gets the Scottish accent in just about every other medium.  Are Scottish people short in general and that's why?  image

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by carotid

tone down the fanboyism please.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

I haven't seen all that many stalwart defenders (crusaders) for the game. I LIKE the game. I think it's refreshing.

I agree.

I think the issue is one of perception,. It's ok for people to be excited about things. It's especially ok for people to be excited about things that bring good things to the table of gaming; even if it's done in the style of an earlier game.

The perception is taking people's excitement for a line in the sand saying "ha! this is the greatest thing since sliced bread" as opposed to actually reading what they are saying and thinking "huh, people like/love this game because of x, y and z, maybe it's for me".

Because if the litmus test for a game being amazing to all people is a large amount of people being excited then that test is going to fail.

Not only that but that means there are no games, ever that are amazing. It's just not going to be possible for every game to be everything to everyone.

Additionally, just because a large amount of people are excited doesn't make a game right for every person.

And thinking that a general excitement is an affront to any particular individual's sensibilities is just an issue all its own.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    I agree this game is just the sims for fat nerds
  • JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by fascism
    I agree this game is just the sims for fat nerds

And skinny nerds. Thanks.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

TYVM, goodnight.

Dear OP, Did you know the makers of PoE ALSO made BG1 and 2?  AND planescape torment, AND neverwinter Nights?

So the comparison is a valid one...  And yes, it is better than their previous games.

Quick correction, they merely published BG1 and 2, Bioware were the makers, I don't think they had anything to do with NWN. Their games would be Fallout 2 (which most of the key team made fallout 1 as well). Icewind dale, and Planescape.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by carotid

World is static, NPCs just stand in one spot forever... Parts of UI could be better, like no sorting options in stash and then the shops and inns are pretty wasted space. The stronghold feels tacked on, lacking any real depth or gameplay value. It's just place to have a few shop and bunch of bad buffs. At least it allows keep your off-party members busy to bring something in, but that's pretty much it outside the dungeon. The combat could have been better with more meaningful stealth and options to have characters stay on spot . And the there are bugs. First/second quest in game doesn't resolve me, then there is an annoying audio bug and the other infamous things.

In the end it's number of small things and annoyances that just take it too far from perfect.