Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pillars of Eternity is EXACTLY what we're talking about...

2»

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Holophonist
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Holophonist
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Originally posted by Hysteric
    I'm really enjoying this game!

Is it basically a Baldur's Gate remake?  I may consider this even though I have touched nothing but MMO's for the past 10+ years.

Hello again Mardukk. The game is more of a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate than a full on remake.

I have to disagree.

The spiritual successor gets thrown around a lot - but its simply not the case here.

To me a spiritual successor matches or even improves - Pillars takes some serious steps back like lack of companion AI - micromanaging every companion is 2 steps back

Nah that's not what spiritual successor means. 

Agreed, but these days H1Z1 is the Spiritual Successor to SWG, sooooooooo, idk what to think :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

When a bunch of us old jaded embittered "veterans" talk about what SHOULD happen with the MMO field.  Pillars took a lot of those things that people think were old and outdated and dumb, combined them with the best of modern RPG's and made something utterly ridiculously spectacular.  There is no reason an MMO couldn't do this, taking the best of games like WoW, EQ, Rift, etc.  Combining it with some new ideas.  Anyways, i'll keep it short and simple.Pillars of Eternity is proof positive that "old" does not mean "bad".

And this is what Brad will do with Pantheon, be in no doubt the sly fox and his team will pull it off.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by DMKano

I am still puzzled why Pillars is getting such high praise - its nowhere as good as BG was IMO. 

Pillars is a about a 8/10 for me - again a good game, but not worthy of high praise.

I kinda agree. It's 7/10 on true 0-10 scale and around 8 in traditional scale.

It's good game with huge pull, but at same time there is so many flaws and lacks that it just doesn't warrant perfect score.

Things like numerous bugs, lack of simple-ease of live features like inventory sorting, somewhat GUI is also ineffective in many parts. And then world just feels static, it's not like NPCs have any live in them, just stand in same spot day and night and this was a feature that was in games of 90s... Lot of features are simply lack-cluster like the Stronghold.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

When a bunch of us old jaded embittered "veterans" talk about what SHOULD happen with the MMO field.  Pillars took a lot of those things that people think were old and outdated and dumb, combined them with the best of modern RPG's and made something utterly ridiculously spectacular.  There is no reason an MMO couldn't do this, taking the best of games like WoW, EQ, Rift, etc.  Combining it with some new ideas.  Anyways, i'll keep it short and simple.

Pillars of Eternity is proof positive that "old" does not mean "bad".

Agreed, I haven't been this excited about a game since Skyrim.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Maquiame

2. The old games that you mention all have been changed and dumbed down. So your point is moot.

Doesn't stop people from saying those games are still going strong to this day though... IF they are no longer the games they were, then that would make that point moot as well heh..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Very pleased with what PoE has turned out to be. Sure there are things that I would like to see in the game (optional party AI etc) but there's only so much they can do with their funds and I feel what money they had has been put to use in the best places. This game along with WL2, D:OS has me really looking forward to Tides Of Numenera.