Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pillars of Eternity is EXACTLY what we're talking about...

HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

When a bunch of us old jaded embittered "veterans" talk about what SHOULD happen with the MMO field.  Pillars took a lot of those things that people think were old and outdated and dumb, combined them with the best of modern RPG's and made something utterly ridiculously spectacular.  There is no reason an MMO couldn't do this, taking the best of games like WoW, EQ, Rift, etc.  Combining it with some new ideas.  Anyways, i'll keep it short and simple.

Pillars of Eternity is proof positive that "old" does not mean "bad".

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I haven't played a single-player RPG for years, but I'm considering getting this one for the old-school appeal in a modern package.  It is a bit pricey.  Is there any real reason to get the more expensive editions?
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

IMO No, unless you're one of those people who really like to get into the lore of a game and that kind of stuff.  Or want the music seperately (which it is VERY good music).

Seriously though, i havent been able to spend more than 3-4 hours playing ANY single player game in the last 8 years or so, and i've already clocked almost 10 hours into this in 2 days.  It really is that good. Buy it, you wont regret it, i promise.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

After reading a few reviews, I'm almost certainly going to get it.  One reviewer said it took him 11 hours to get to the first main city, and 30 hours to get to the second one.  He said he spent over an hour in character creation.  I haven't heard anything like that in a while.
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719

It's the golden age of crpgs again :) its basically a huge welcome back party now,  and when new Torment comes it's gonna be a rave xD

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

Yeah...Wow.

Been marathon playing for the past 8 hours with small breaks in between. Ordering food now. This game is good. Old school style with modern UI and features from this century. Its the best CRPG ive played in years and I can safely say this is set to be a modern classic.

Ive loved playing Might and magic 10, D:OS, Shadowrun and the wonderful games we are being peppered with- But this one stands above. Its Balders gate for a new generation...And its really ...really good. I am not a fan of RTWP combat and prefer turned based- But the story here and the dark,mature vibe more than makes upfor a combat style I dont really prefer.

I havnt had a stretch of gaming this long in years and I plan on playing all night. Throwing coffee on, ordering pizza and telling the wife not to wait up. 

How is the real-time combat?  Do you have to control the actions of all party members all the time, or is there decent party AI that handles this?
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

What a great time for arpgs!

First Divinity:OS, Wasteland 2, and now PoE.

Funny, all 3 projects I backed came to fruition and then some!

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    I just bought PoE a few minutes ago, still waiting on DL.  

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    How is the real-time combat?  Do you have to control the actions of all party members all the time, or is there decent party AI that handles this?

Nah- You'll be micromanaging. Tactics and strategy is required or you'll be stomped. The game  has a system where you set events and the game will pause. (i.e. after casting a spell, when damage is severe,etc...) and you can pause with the spacebar but then you will certainly be giving individual orders to the party. The level of strategy is pretty incredible for RTWP but you can also play at easier settings which might nullify the need to micro your party.

...But...The combat is decent, goodactually- But its the least important part imho. After an hour or two you will be "living"in that world and totally sucked in. Combat is just what has to happen in between the very  dark and mature story. 

Its good dude. really good. Just go buy it lol.

• ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

When a bunch of us old jaded embittered "veterans" talk about what SHOULD happen with the MMO field.  Pillars took a lot of those things that people think were old and outdated and dumb, combined them with the best of modern RPG's and made something utterly ridiculously spectacular.  There is no reason an MMO couldn't do this, taking the best of games like WoW, EQ, Rift, etc.  Combining it with some new ideas.  Anyways, i'll keep it short and simple.

I 100% agree with you. :) Maybe Pantheon Rise of the Fallen would be great for you to check out if you have not yet. :)

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I've only played this for a couple hours so far, but this game at its core would not translate well into an MMO.  Just the decision making process involved in the character dialogs and their consequences won't work in an MMO environment.  There may be other smaller individual things that do work, but the basic premise of the game wouldn't.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I'm not sure who says that. I haven't seen it. I do see a lot of "new" = "bad" usually prefacing a walk down a rose colored memory lane.

This type of BG-like RPG, with isometric perspective and very nice 2D background artwork is not even as old as the full 3-D RPGs like Ultima Underworld, the ES games and others.

They co-existed in the 90s as separate sub-genres with this type having a more thoughtful, slower pace than their 3D first person cousins that owed a lot of their technology and mechanics to early FPS like Doom and were liked for their visual immersion. There was room for both types back then and there is room now.

Granted, this type was mostly ignored by developers for years but it has been making a comeback with 3 worthy releases in the past 12 months (Divinity Original Sin, Wastelands 2 and this one.)

But it doesn't detract in any way from Dragon Age or The Witcher, nor does it "prove" that one type is better than the other.

Also, bear in mind that this was developed by a uniquely talented studio with a great track record. POE's excellence (sorry Path of Exile but this is now the real POE :) ) has a lot more to do with the talent and the way they did things than it being just an example of this type of RPG: most of them don't achieve this level of quality,

Likewise with "old style" MMOs. A great one may come along but that will be because it's a great one, not because it's old style.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200

Wait,..I was confused with Path of Exile,.( PoE)   heh,..

is this Pillars game an MMO?   looks like a single player arpg.  As opposed to an MMOArpg like  say Marvel Heroes, which I love to death.  

Is it like like Vindictus with a lobby? and I can group with friends? Otherwise,..I am confused with this site's name. :p

Someone in Marvel told me , if I liked Marvel then I should play PoE.  But other than the isometric view , it looks like alot more reading and almost a FFtactics-esque combat.  

I think I will wait and watch more playthough vids before trying it out.

Originally posted by Tabloid42

Wait,..I was confused with Path of Exile,.( PoE)   heh,..

is this Pillars game an MMO?   looks like a single player arpg.  As opposed to an MMOArpg like  say Marvel Heroes, which I love to death.  

Is it like like Vindictus with a lobby? and I can group with friends? Otherwise,..I am confused with this site's name. :p

Someone in Marvel told me , if I liked Marvel then I should play PoE.  But other than the isometric view , it looks like alot more reading and almost a FFtactics-esque combat.  

I think I will wait and watch more playthough vids before trying it out.

Its  not an ARPG- Its a CRPG. And yes, single player.

Fantastic game but would make a lousy MMORPG but TBH its the best game (to me) in years. MMO or Singleplayer.If you like Tabletop games and strategy , you will love this. 

• HystericHysteric Member UncommonPosts: 51
    I'm really enjoying this game!
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Hysteric

Is it basically a Baldur's Gate remake?  I may consider this even though I have touched nothing but MMO's for the past 10+ years.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by Mardukk

Is it basically a Baldur's Gate remake?  I may consider this even though I have touched nothing but MMO's for the past 10+ years.

Hello again Mardukk. The game is more of a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate than a full on remake.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Don't forget Grim Dawn! It's less baldurs gate and more diablo 1/2. Having so much fun with that, alongst with PoE. I've given up on another MMO coming out to be fun in my lifetime. MMO's are dead.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

The real question (and most likely reason there is not a lot of investor money being spent on making an old school MMO) is: will MMO players accept dated graphics to go along with their old school MMO experience?

The answer most likely is no given that most of those old school MMOs are still alive and yet few of those people pining for the old days are willing to play them.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by reeereee

The real question (and most likely reason there is not a lot of investor money being spent on making an old school MMO) is: will MMO players accept dated graphics to go along with their old school MMO experience?

The answer most likely is no given that most of those old school MMOs are still alive and yet few of those people pining for the old days are willing to play them.

1. POE while dated compared to Divine still looks good to the crowd that also pine for a more traditional mmorpg
     so I think the answer is yes. Why? Because if they don't have a problem with POE's graphics which are far from the  best but better than the games its based on why would they have an issue with an mmo that does the same thing?

2. The old games that you mention all have been changed and dumbed down. So your point is moot.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• FranconsteinFranconstein Member UncommonPosts: 99

From an old jaded embittered "veteran" to another, I wholeheartedly agree. Us, the gamers, have proved that these games are not dead. They're not even for a "niche". I mean, this was the 2nd most-funded game in Kickstarter, and now we're getting another Planescape: Torment  (Torment: Tides of Numenera, 90k backers), and a true multiplayer D&D experience with Sword Coast Legends (privately funded by Wizards of the Coast, the owners of the D&D IP).

While most people are taking what you said literally (make an MMO out of this), I completely understand what you're aiming for: make a modern MMO with the core features that made the "old goldies" work, but with some of the tried and true flair of the new generation.

I may be an old fool, but I have hope. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the shit out of PoE (30 hours so far, haven't gotten to the main city yet, over an hour creating my char, after two restarts).

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Ernest Hemingway

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

OP, I fail to see what is so spectacular about this game. It's looks old and outdated (not just the graphics but also UI and combat mechanics).

I think we have seen much better iterations of "old school games" in Divinity:Original Sin and Wasteland 2.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by DMKano

I am still puzzled why Pillars is getting such high praise - its nowhere as good as BG was IMO. 

Pillars is a about a 8/10 for me - again a good game, but not worthy of high praise.

A matter of opinion, personally I enjoy POE more than I've enjoyed BG and I enjoy its world lore far more.  Its a 9 for me. I also find the story and npcs more to my liking, so its a 9 for me.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• Vee4240Vee4240 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    33 hours since release! I love it. Everyone should get it, even if youre a tab bit interested. 
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Holophonist
    Originally posted by Mardukk

Hello again Mardukk. The game is more of a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate than a full on remake.

I have to disagree.

The spiritual successor gets thrown around a lot - but its simply not the case here.

To me a spiritual successor matches or even improves - Pillars takes some serious steps back like lack of companion AI - micromanaging every companion is 2 steps back

Nah that's not what spiritual successor means.