Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP Combat Style Question

n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

I'll keep this as simple as I can. I've seen over and over again in various forums that certain people are not really "into" twitch or action PvP combat. While I feel the need to cover my bases and mention that there are certain people who feel "overwhelmed" by the current state of PvP combat. I know there are also others who feel like it's a step in the right direction and can be improved.

I'm interested in seeing different perspectives on potential PvP combat systems from those who are completely off both the "Tab Target" and the "Action Combat" train. Are we looking at turn based strategy? SNES RPG Style? Wakfu style strategy with improved controls? Something that is a kind of mix of any of the aforementioned? Something that gives players time to decide what they want to do without seeming too slow?

I constantly see opposition to the big two MMORPG styles (Tab-Target and Action) and simply want to know what people have in mind.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

Comments

• YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
    I prefer pure twitch combat like Darkfall and Mortal Online. Action combat is just a fancy tab target IMO
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

Unfortunately most people that are "pro-tab targeting" and "against action combat" just want the traditional tab targeting system, they seem to equate "tab-targeting" with strategic combat systems (like the ones you alluded to OP). At least that is what I have gleaned from various discussions with them. The thing is traditional tab-targeting seems to be less strategic than most action combat systems I have played, action-combat systems actually bring a new level of strategic depth to gameplay which is what makes it relatively more engaging. 

Looking at other directions tab-targeting could evolve into other than the more "action" style, something like Divinity OS would be quite interesting, although I have no idea how that could be successfully implemented in an mmo type environment.

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

I understand asking a MMORPG PvP lover/hater to be more specific when they say they prefer/don't prefer one system over another is akin to asking a Duck to stop being a Duck. I just wish I could get more elaboration.

When I play a tab-target game, I am content. When I play an action game, I typically feel like it could be done better. I have two positive opinions because I have positive (if not sometimes limited) experiences with both. Now I am currently playing FFXIV, which means I am not getting my MMORPG PvP fix. I do however think often about what would be the most ideal PvP system scenario for me. I'm just really trying to see if people had something (even if unrealistic) in mind that would be a step up from the two.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan